Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the traditional approach is just to make your film 9 hours long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

indigi posted:

I have some penis-liker friends who’ve complained about this vis a vis the increasing number of dongs hung on prestige tv shows

I seem to remember from an interview about That Scene in Boys s3 that Amazon at least has a hard line against depicting erections

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

josh04 posted:

the traditional approach is just to make your film 9 hours long

Ridley do this you coward

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They better be paying thousands of extras to march in ranks because I can’t stand either CGI formations or a handful of guys standing in for the whole battle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1oLflPilcMc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7KH1lM_bZM

Compared to

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CbBojWrOV2Y

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip the battle scenes in HBO's Rome

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I seem to remember from an interview about That Scene in Boys s3 that Amazon at least has a hard line against depicting erections

so, they're okay with depicting a tiny nude man walking fully inside a comparatively giant-sized penis, as long as the penis is implied to be flaccid

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

To save money on battle scenes, they've been reimagined as 1-v-1 duels using pencak silat.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

i say swears online posted:

those were the only bad part of season 1

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

They better be paying thousands of extras to march in ranks because I can’t stand either CGI formations or a handful of guys standing in for the whole battle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1oLflPilcMc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7KH1lM_bZM

Compared to

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CbBojWrOV2Y

didn't expect barry lyndon to get thrashed

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

loquacius posted:

so, they're okay with depicting a tiny nude man walking fully inside a comparatively giant-sized penis, as long as the penis is implied to be flaccid

Well the penis is *implied* erect but you only see the gigantic tip of the glans so they could get away with it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Antonymous posted:

didn't expect barry lyndon to get thrashed

It’s a beautiful film and the battle is shot like a Lady Butler painting, incredible execution by Kubrick. It was an insignificant skirmish and that’s the point narratively, I mean in terms of other productions shooting combat on this scale, far less skillfully than Kubrick, and using it to stand in for a whole battle.

Not knocking Kubrick, but I couldn’t find a clip from idk Canada: A People’s History.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Barry Lyndon but Star Wars, give me a billion dollars

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Barry Lyndon but Star Wars, give me a billion dollars

It is funny that they keep getting indie auteurs to direct Star Wars, Branagh and Waititi to direct Thor, and then the movies they turn out don’t reflect that at all.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Aug 12, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The only thing that could get me excited for Star Wars ever again would be a Safdie brothers Lando movie

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

It is funny that they keep getting indie auteurs to direct Star Wars, Branagh and Waititi to direct Thor, and then the movies they turn out don’t reflect that at all.

George Lucas did American Grafitti and then Starwars

David Lynch did Eraserhead and then Dune

Ridley Scott did The Duelists and then Alien (granted he had a huge commercial career before that)

Tim Burton did a batman

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Aug 12, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

david lynch got asked to direct starwars with the DP of Rocky Horror Picture Show (peter suschitzky) the DP stayed on and Lynch dropped out. Empire strikes back is the best shot starwrs.

Lynch later did Dune and Peter did every cronenberg movie except the newest one.

edit: peter also did some trash with a bunch of other good directors like Mars Attacks and After Earth "hey you did starwars and rocky horror would you like to do Tim Burton's space alien movie" is a sensible question

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Aug 12, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

they don't want them to turn out something in their own style, they want to maximize the money they're getting from people who say "I don't really like Marvel movies, but they got the guy who directed that A24 movie I like to do this new one so maybe I'll check it out"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Lynch’s story about it is hilarious, George is trying to explain wookies and droids and ewoks to him over the blandest 80s salads imaginable and Lynch just starts getting the worst headache of his life before essentially running from the table while telling George to direct it himself

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they don't want them to turn out something in their own style, they want to maximize the money they're getting from people who say "I don't really like Marvel movies, but they got the guy who directed that A24 movie I like to do this new one so maybe I'll check it out"

Chloe Zhao doing The Eternals is like dark comedy to me though. Everyone sells out lmao

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i say swears online posted:

the background soldiers and battle scenes were one of the major reasons why rome was a huge moneypit. they demanded all the extras wear handmade armor, learn to march in formation, and even camp like real roman soldiers (hair gel was banned on set)

all for something that appears once at the beginning of episode 1 in a heavily blocked night shoot

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The skirmish in episode 1 is great, the battle with Brutus is kinda okay I guess, and I think that's literally all the actual battle scenes they had budget for?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

imagine sleeping outside for a few weeks doing combat training and forbidden to bathe and then you learn all the scenes you were supposed to appear in were cut for time/budget

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I was totally fine with their budget-saving move of “show general announcing the attack; cut to slightly disheveled general walking back into his command tent happy/angry”

I wasn’t watching Rome for the battles, and if they’d had the budget to include them more often it would have made the series worse

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Antonymous posted:

Chloe Zhao doing The Eternals is like dark comedy to me though. Everyone sells out lmao

Princesses can't sell out, they set sold.

I think cined had a subversive movie thread once but it was only a handful of pages iirc. Someone paid you to create art, it was always selling out, pop artist are sellouts that's why we don't talk about it anymore.

Otoh, shyamalan is got free.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

indigi posted:

I was totally fine with their budget-saving move of “show general announcing the attack; cut to slightly disheveled general walking back into his command tent happy/angry”

I wasn’t watching Rome for the battles, and if they’d had the budget to include them more often it would have made the series worse

I do really like that one scene what Antony and Octavian are watching a battle, Octavian asks who's winning and Antony just responds "who knows lol"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Antonymous posted:

Everyone sells out lmao

the best line in the second lonely island movie was "nowadays if you don't sell out, people will wonder if nobody asked you to"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Femur posted:

Princesses can't sell out, they set sold.

:popeye:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

I do really like that one scene what Antony and Octavian are watching a battle, Octavian asks who's winning and Antony just responds "who knows lol"

and then said something like “eh feels like a good time for a cavalry charge, get my bodyguard ready”

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1558136351161257987

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bro Dad posted:

the background soldiers and battle scenes were one of the major reasons why rome was a huge moneypit. they demanded all the extras wear handmade armor, learn to march in formation, and even camp like real roman soldiers (hair gel was banned on set)

all for something that appears once at the beginning of episode 1 in a heavily blocked night shoot

We were talking about The Rehearsal, but didn’t Rome require actors playing butchers, dyers and tailors in the street life scenes to learn those skills or something?

More productions need to do stuff like that, I really appreciate it. Commit to the setting and don’t compromise production design.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MYlRzLqD0

There were spirited debates in the Classics department about if the references in Vegetius to Roman soldiers being replaced meant whole units or ranks as shown. Also the equipment of the soldiers in Rome iirc is anachronistic by a century or so? To their credit they resisted the temptation to use lorica segmentata.

e: I guess they remade a League of Their Own?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BSSGJ4Wojp0

The original’s not even that old and Millennials still watch it!

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Aug 12, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

One of the most historically accurate moments in an excellent fuckin series

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pullo and Vorenus lost in time. can you imagine

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

indigi posted:

Pullo and Vorenus lost in time. can you imagine

the greatest bromance since O'Brien & Bashir

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
One of these days I need to buy that coffee table book that's just a shitload of pre-production material from Kubrick's Napoleon project.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Aug 12, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

one of these days I need to figure out how to orgasm

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Chautauqua Institution is like the hoity toity well-to-do enclave for rich people who Summer in Western New York lol

I remember one time people were up in arms because they had requested that the local Wegmans add special checkout lanes and parking spaces for Institute members so they wouldn't have to hobknob with the LOCALS

i've got a lane for them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

indigi posted:

one of these days I need to figure out how to orgasm

Yeah that's what he said

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

We were talking about The Rehearsal, but didn’t Rome require actors playing butchers, dyers and tailors in the street life scenes to learn those skills or something?

More productions need to do stuff like that, I really appreciate it. Commit to the setting and don’t compromise production design.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MYlRzLqD0

There were spirited debates in the Classics department about if the references in Vegetius to Roman soldiers being replaced meant whole units or ranks as shown. Also the equipment of the soldiers in Rome iirc is anachronistic by a century or so? To their credit they resisted the temptation to use lorica segmentata.

e: I guess they remade a League of Their Own?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BSSGJ4Wojp0

The original’s not even that old and Millennials still watch it!

The Northman was also kinda nuts about this, iirc they handmade a Viking longboat and repaired the cast's clothes rather than replaced them

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

It’s cool to watch braindead and bad taste and think about how they gave that guy like a billion dollars to direct the lord of the rings trilogy. It’s just too bad he didn’t have frodo do the lawnmower scene with a bunch of orcs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don’t know what it is about Peter Jackson but the preproduction and production design for those films was incredible, absolutely incredible. I don’t know how they knew to expect that from his previous films, but that dedication made those movies work.