Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

VRchat had it's own meltdown a week or so ago, I;m not sure of the deets.

They rolled out an anti-cheat program that prevented modified clients from being used, which wiped a lot of unofficial plugins/add-ons that did things people were pissed off the real client didn't already do. From the look of it, the devs claim they have to do it b/c people were using plugins to harass / doxx users, while users are complaining that a lot of their custom stuff triggers a ban now. Looking at how heavily people customize their stuff in VRChat, it makes sense that people would be pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Or can just be long TTWO EA UBSFY and RBLX.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Give me some overlays or articles that lay out the most bearish scenarios that say we're in for a huge drop after this current bullish trend. Anybody see anything like that lately?

java
May 7, 2005

I’m still very curious about what Alphabet does with Waymo. They are gathering a lot of beta-test miles with those cars right now.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Wow, off on holidays for a week and stuff happens!

Avalara (AVLR) got a buyout offer of $93.50/share from Vista Equity. Great if you bought it mid summer @$69/share. Since I picked it up at around $104 earlier in the year I'm looking at a 10% loss. Shareholders not happy, maybe we'll get a little boost, the price is low...

Surgalign Holdings (SRGA) got a nice 69% rise last week. Still down 40% overall, but nice to see some interest in this. Earnings results after today, should be good. Nice range of products with increasing sales is always a plus.

Vinco Ventures (BBIG) - oh lord what a mess. Already there was a "hostile takeover" and people were fired from the board I guess? Bunch of people getting in a fist fight over a turd. Oh, and Nasdaq has suspended trading @$.71/share. "When you guys figure out how to run your business, call us." And Cryptyde (TYDE)? $1.09/share. Makes perfect sense.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Green Monday, Red Tuesday...
...Blue Wednesday?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BROS earnings tomorrow amc. Guessing we'll see another massive drop like last time

drk
Jan 16, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

BROS earnings tomorrow amc. Guessing we'll see another massive drop like last time

The first thing they are advertising on their site is cookie dough flavoured coffee :911:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Space Fish posted:

Green Monday, Red Tuesday...
...Blue Wednesday?

friday i'm in love

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

July inflation report tomorrow :toot:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"eased"

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/s...ingawful.com%2F

drk
Jan 16, 2005
0.0% month over month is certainly an easing even if year over year is still high

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I suppose. Looking at "the great inflation" as federalreservehistory.org calls it, we had at least two major peaks, several minor troughs, but it never went below 4%. I'm of the idea that a temporary change in direction is good, but doesn't solve any of the problems that sustained high inflation brings

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I suppose. Looking at "the great inflation" as federalreservehistory.org calls it, we had at least two major peaks, several minor troughs, but it never went below 4%. I'm of the idea that a temporary change in direction is good, but doesn't solve any of the problems that sustained high inflation brings

Honestly this graph sucks because it's a graph of a derivative and it does a very bad job of showing what's going on in a way that a laymen can understand.

I'm not blaming you but this is part of why the economy is so totally screwed up, the way that the media and finance people and economics talk about things like this don't even make sense to the average layperson, and are actively misleading.

What's really going on is a function of itself and presenting it in that way hides the real story, the devaluation of money over time. When you see that devaluation against the change in wages the fact that boomers could pay for college by mowing lawns over the summer and buy houses and save for retirement makes sudden sense vs people being mired in student debt forever and renting forever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Would you feel better if that chart were labeled "rate of decline in purchasing power" instead?

Syrinxx posted:

I ain't sleepin on rick

:hmmyes:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hope somebody loaded up on $GOON before it’s meteoric rise from $0.25 to $0.35 over the last few weeks!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

RICK up 8%. LFGGGG

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

*elderly goon in front of his grandchildren* yes he came in and said "yall buy RICK?" and we all didn;t know what to say. but i looked at the financials and the technicals and it Looked Good. So I put down money to buy one share of stock. And now, 80 years later, I can retire rich millionaire. Thank you Michael Transaction for suggesting to get RICK stock. My family will never go hungary again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Michael Transactions posted:

So I put down money to buy one share of stock. And now, 80 years later, I can retire rich RICK millionaire

FTFY

drk
Jan 16, 2005
was june the sp500 low for the year? y/n

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

n

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I bought more $SONO today. Apparently the last time I bought some was in 2019, so RIP paper gains, but I can’t help but feel like someone is gonna eat Sonos eventually.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

movax posted:

I bought more $SONO today. Apparently the last time I bought some was in 2019, so RIP paper gains, but I can’t help but feel like someone is gonna eat Sonos eventually.

Are they worth $2B to the sorts of companies who could afford it? (Apple, Google, etc presumably)

-24% isnt a bad day to add to a position, but "this quarterly report represents an earnings surprise of -100%" doesnt look great

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scarodactyl posted:

I'm the big winner on GTAT because I got one of their giant 600lb sapphires on surplus.

Update: I had a few gems cut from this.

In some ways this gem is incredibly expensive.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Whoa, NSFW that huge hand

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
ASTS doing that thing again. It's going to be worth watching until launch in September.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

drk posted:

Are they worth $2B to the sorts of companies who could afford it? (Apple, Google, etc presumably)

-24% isnt a bad day to add to a position, but "this quarterly report represents an earnings surprise of -100%" doesnt look great

Good question… apparently iRobot was worth $1.7B to Amazon. I can’t really see Apple buying them, even though IMO/IME Sonos’ AirPlay implementation is too smooth without some serious collaboration with Apple. Too premium of a product for the likes of Amazon… but weirder acquisitions have happened!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sonos owns the "play streaming music from every smart device in your home at the same time" patent

Roomba puts a surveillance camera inside 30 million homes

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

fun thread from an eternal optimist and growth stock investor. consistently positive/nice guy on twitter. although his portfolio has badly sucked rear end all year. after a summer break he discusses thoughts on it in a good thread:

https://twitter.com/RamBhupatiraju/status/1558069029071425537?s=20&t=OjOReYWGHPkvjkTOGBeb3Q

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1558069029071425537.html

from near the end,

https://twitter.com/RamBhupatiraju/status/1558069057911398401?s=20&t=OjOReYWGHPkvjkTOGBeb3Q

anyway, I thought some people in this thread would sympathize and maybe appreciate his "lessons learned"

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Sold half of my Avalara (AVLR) - 55 shares @$92.11. A 10% loss. Could possibly get a bit more before the buyout but using my money elsewhere.

Picked up another 371 shares of Magnachip (MX) @$13.39. You know what the baby chicken says? Cheap, Cheap, Cheap...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What do you see in the future that has you looking at semiconductors at all, ahead of mmm, rtx, nue etc

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

GrandmaParty posted:

ASTS doing that thing again. It's going to be worth watching until launch in September.

Grandma, can you please call Abel and tell him to dump it below 10 for a min. I might know someone who is short some calls :angel::angel::angel:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Baddog posted:

To try to spur some discussion - my biggest gains have come from just a few picks, great companies with such a good idea that people would be almost dumb not to use them. Amazon when aws came out. Netflix (pre streaming, when it was just obvious that their model was so much better than blockbuster). Costco - better prices for quality items, crazy lenient return policy, people are lining up to get in (still!). I remember my grandmother got into Walmart wayyyy back, cus when they came to her state and she saw how much better they were, it was a no-brainer to her.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be a similar company now? Something that has become part of your routine, you don't know why more people aren't using it, anyone you tell about it is eager to try it?

Maybe it's just a dead time right now (pandemic?), but nothing I look at seems that exciting/explosive to me.

Today I am thinking about how much of a giant pain in the rear end it is to find and hire a contractor for home renovations and repairs, especially for small jobs, who is actually good and charges a reasonable fee and shows up to do the job and actually finishes the job. Feels like some silicon valley UBER/Airbnb/Grindr disrupter type co could apply the principles of cloud, crowdfunding, gacha games, online dating, and blockchain to just explode this stupid industry wide open and/or violate lots of local laws and waste billions in VC money. Maybe both.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Leperflesh posted:

Today I am thinking about how much of a giant pain in the rear end it is to find and hire a contractor for home renovations and repairs, especially for small jobs, who is actually good and charges a reasonable fee and shows up to do the job and actually finishes the job. Feels like some silicon valley UBER/Airbnb/Grindr disrupter type co could apply the principles of cloud, crowdfunding, gacha games, online dating, and blockchain to just explode this stupid industry wide open and/or violate lots of local laws and waste billions in VC money. Maybe both.

I think that is what Angie's List (now Angi) was trying to achieve

https://www.angi.com/

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

could whatever news is obviously coming about $goon show up already i could use the money if this thing gets anywhere near its price target

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I think that is what Angie's List (now Angi) was trying to achieve

https://www.angi.com/

I remember that being advertised on Car Talk, so it's been around for a good long while. I've never bought in but I had the impression it's basically just "yelp, but for contractors/trades"?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Leperflesh posted:

I remember that being advertised on Car Talk, so it's been around for a good long while. I've never bought in but I had the impression it's basically just "yelp, but for contractors/trades"?

The "industry" has undergone consolidation and so there's the usual chicanery where bigger contractors who pay more fees and pay for advertising show up higher in listings, there are false reviews, etc..

It doesn't seem particularly valuable as a site to me anymore.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
People asking for contractor recommendations is like half of my feed on Nextdoor.

It’s also relatively common on local subreddits.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Angies List used to be good. I actually paid for it at one point especially trying to find contractors for my mom who lived in another state. BUT... as mentioned the reviews became untrustworthy and the search function was kind of poo poo depending on what you needed done. So as pseudanonymous said it's not valuable anymore, I'd rather use google reviews and not pay for the same fake reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Deviant posted:

could whatever news is obviously coming about $goon show up already i could use the money if this thing gets anywhere near its price target

Monday after hours, my fingers can either finally come uncrossed or endure another three months of cramping.