Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/horton_official/status/1558136654702977025?cxt=HHwWgoCx8YbCzp8rAAAA
Projected crop failure rates of 50% :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It really is consistently infuriating that there is seemingly a boundless reservoir of people whose response to every actual problem in the world is to throw a tantrum about how there can't be any problems, actually, and everyone who says there can be need to shut up, and that they clap along and put politicians in office who do exactly the same thing.

Would that there were some mechanism that could apportion the consequences of that stupidity on those most responsible for it.

Or even just a concise word for the particular bloodlust that you feel when faced with someone who is not only wrong, but so utterly, spectacularly wrong that they are physically incapable of concieving that they are wrong, and have been this way for their entire life, and will probably go to a far too delayed grave beleiving it because society is geared around coddling them all the way there at your expense.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 12, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

keep punching joe posted:

Got this for £340 btw, hope its not shite.

Lenovo ThinkPad A485 - AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 2500U - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD

Build quality is well-known to be a bit poo poo, can be a hair-pulling nightmare to get the drivers to work under Linux (tho not because of the AMD processor, those went open sores), performance is decidedly ok. Once it works I wouldn't worry though, Linux isn't prone to falling apart for no reason. Unlike the bloody motherboard.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is this new or a refurb?

I'm in the market for a new laptop in the foreseeable future, but am a bit allergic to refurbs as our work insists on refurbs and we've had 3 brick on us in the last year (and despite my constant nagging on the subject, my colleagues are not very good at doing backups.)

The Asus and HP Ryzens can be had decently cheap, and have excellent performance for the price, and aren't poorly built trash like Lenovo or Samsung or Dell. Under Windows at least.

If you want reliability above all else and don't care about 3D performance, a HP with a fairly recent (gen10+) Intel are leading the pack.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/GraemeDemianyk/status/1558136862212034566

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Now is that on top of what is going to waste due to no workers to pick them?
Or if that included.
As if not, then loving hell.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

It really is consistently infuriating that there is seemingly a boundless reservoir of people whose response to every actual problem in the world is to throw a tantrum about how there can't be any problems, actually, and everyone who says there can be need to shut up, and that they clap along and put politicians in office who do exactly the same thing.

Would that there were some mechanism that could apportion the consequences of that stupidity on those most responsible for it.

Or even just a concise word for the particular bloodlust that you feel when faced with someone who is not only wrong, but so utterly, spectacularly wrong that they are physically incapable of concieving that they are wrong, and have been this way for their entire life, and will probably go to a far too delayed grave beleiving it because society is geared around coddling them all the way there at your expense.

This, loving this

It seems to be a particular affliction of the leaded brain generation.

It makes me feel like I'm losing my mind sometimes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Most concise summarisation I've come across is Trashfuture's description of "someone lecturing you from a book they're holding upside down."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I try to hold on to the idea that it can't be a new feeling, it must be one people have felt throughout history, but loving hell is it exhausting.

I don't even experience doubt, I know I'm understanding it correctly, it just feels like being stuck in an oubliette or something. I can very clearly see why they're able to do that and it's because of that societal support, there are vast buttresses of words and thought-approximating-cliches they can employ to allow them to continue to be like that, but knowing that really just makes the experience of being trapped outside of, but still confined by, those barriers even more exhausting. You are right, but the world is not moved by that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 12, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you hold the view of some radical (like actually radical rather than just spiteful) feminists that "every emancipatory abolitionism must incline towards the horizon of class abolitionism", then if mansplaining, whitesplaining, straightsplaining, etc., then the class root is whatever this poo poo is. It's '"If I were a 14 year old black boy" - A 40 year old white man' for class struggle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Could you expand on that a bit? I'm not making the connection between the different sentences there and I think my brain is fried from the heat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Like if you're marginalized by sexism, then one facet of that is mansplaining. That's been extended to whitesplaining at people marginalized by racism, straightsplaining for heteronormativity and cisnormativity etc.

If you view those as being part of the idea of class and power relations, then there is an overarching 'splaining exemplified by Jacob Rees-Mogg saying "If I were poor I would simply eat a potato" in between cakes.

At least 90% of the "someone who is not only wrong, but so utterly, spectacularly wrong that they are physically incapable of concieving that they are wrong, and have been this way for their entire life, and will probably go to a far too delayed grave beleiving it because society is geared around coddling them all the way there at your expense" and "someone lecturing you from a book they're holding upside down" feeling comes in some way out of something like that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I know it's sharing via the conservatives but this:

https://twitter.com/TottenhamConse1/status/1558115407952846850?t=EF2xVV7lEJ-8T4f58SUyTg&s=19

This does put a smile on my face. Hypocrisy laid bare.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah yeah I follow you now.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Blinks77 posted:

Maybe the Police would go on strike.

That'd be funny.

They aren’t allowed, it’s in their oath or something.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I know it's sharing via the conservatives but this:

https://twitter.com/TottenhamConse1/status/1558115407952846850?t=EF2xVV7lEJ-8T4f58SUyTg&s=19

This does put a smile on my face. Hypocrisy laid bare.

i think she's an arsehole, but her name is rachel

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
In vague sauce chat, can anyone explain to me why so many chippies in this country will offer you a nice big piece of fish but give you the tiniest thimbleful of tartar sauce to go with it, and usually charge you like 3 quid extra for the privilege? They treat it like truffle oil or something, some precious luxury that should be applied to your meal one delicate drop at a time.

This poo poo doesn’t fly in Canada :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The extras are usually an easy way to make money, same reason the drinks are often pricier.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

OwlFancier posted:

The extras are usually an easy way to make money, same reason the drinks are often pricier.

Cool, how bout you give me an amount of sauce commensurate to the piece of fish when I pay extra for it.

When I buy a Coke they don’t give me 1/4 of a can for 3 quid or whatever.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MeinPanzer posted:

When I buy a Coke they don’t give me 1/4 of a can for 3 quid or whatever.

Tbf loads of places charge £4 for a tiny 150ml glass bottle of Coke to drink with a massive meal.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
I’ve encountered that a lot less than I have the stingy tartar sauce problem.

It wouldn’t bother me so much if the fish portions weren’t for the most part so generous here. Honestly I’d be happier if they just made the piece of fish a fifth smaller and then gave you a reasonable portion of tartar for it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Also if you sold someone a big plate of fish and a small amount of sauce, they might buy extra sauce if they finished all theirs but still had fish left over.

If you sold someone a medium amount of fish and a large amount of sauce and they ate all the fish but still had sauce left over, they won't buy more fish. They'll either leave the plate or eat the sauce with chips.

Plus fish goes off quickly so it is in the shops interest to go through fish stocks as quickly as possible. Tartar sauce lasts for ages so you can afford to ration it out.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

MeinPanzer posted:

I’ve encountered that a lot less than I have the stingy tartar sauce problem.

It wouldn’t bother me so much if the fish portions weren’t for the most part so generous here. Honestly I’d be happier if they just made the piece of fish a fifth smaller and then gave you a reasonable portion of tartar for it.

I feel like fish portions at the chippy are the one thing that have increased significantly since my childhood.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MeinPanzer posted:

In vague sauce chat, can anyone explain to me why so many chippies in this country will offer you a nice big piece of fish but give you the tiniest thimbleful of tartar sauce to go with it, and usually charge you like 3 quid extra for the privilege? They treat it like truffle oil or something, some precious luxury that should be applied to your meal one delicate drop at a time.

Don't have this problem if you don't eat fish :smuggo:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

Make your own if you're eating at home: finely chopped capers & gherkins + mayonnaise. :kiddo:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

Also if you sold someone a big plate of fish and a small amount of sauce, they might buy extra sauce if they finished all theirs but still had fish left over.
Fish and chip portions have to be big enough to feed a Dave Troll, even the small portions have to be berzerker size.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I do wonder where on earth my local chippy gets such large, flavourful cod from. Given the state of the oceans and the cod stock I'm honestly questioning if the owner has a portal to the multiverse.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

need a little perspective here

contracted to work 16 hrs/week in hospitality - for past two years though have been working around 40 hours, contract not updated

new manager started this week - new rota has me working 5 shifts from 10am to "end", which it turns out is around 9pm (end of food service), with the manager deciding exactly when I am free to go. I had to ask to find this information out, I was not consulted on whether this was okay for me to work

last night under old manager's last rota I was scheduled to work 3pm-10pm - at 10pm I was stopped and quite firmly told that I was working until the end of the night (past 11pm) because even though it says 3-10pm on the rota, he sees that as being 3-end of night and the manager decides exactly when the shift ends

as an aside I have about 100 hours accumulated holiday (which I have not been able to take due to being understaffed)

to me this seems unreasonable and kinda dodgy which is why I am handing in my 2 weeks notice tomorrow. I don't trust this guy as far as I can throw him, so what should I be wary of?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A good friend joined Unite a few years back from a hospitality background, found them a bit lacking, and managed (with a lot of local and external support) to pull their regional arm around in on many issues including lovely rotas. Also recently just through how ~the economics~ are they've gained some further solid wins just by the good old weight of numbers.

My take from that would be that if you're not a member consider joining them or similar, paying some dues, and then voicing all that up front before handing your notice in. Can't hurt to have some backing before you do.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If they want you to work it, they can put it on your loving contract.
Otherwise, it's very much an employee's market at the moment, which I would strongly encourage you to indicate to the oval office who's throwing their weight around.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Jeez, I just managed to find current Octopus tariffs for a fixed 12 month taken out now for electric so I can see how my fixed for another 13 months tariff is doing - nearly 3x what I'm paying. I have no idea where I would find an additional £120 per month and that's now. God knows what it will be when my current tariff ends in Autumn 2023.
It's actually quite difficult to find what the tariffs are right now for 'shopping around', the companies seem very cagey about putting a chart up somewhere. Or does anyone know where they might be seen?

I know everyone is suffering (well the bottom 60% of people say) but having just plugged the numbers into my spreadsheet, it's really brought it home to me.

I only live in a tiny 1-bed flat and it's all electric.

I bought some acrylic panels (made to measure and with ready-drilled holes - let them take the risk of cracking the panels!) to make triple glazing for my windows, better get on the case to make the frames with those once my sister and her trusty saw gets back from holiday! Just hope they do the biz. I've got double glazing but there's a bit of a draught comes in still.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

why are you looking to pay a high direct debit? if you are 1 person in a small flat, you'd have to be really going nuts to use £120 of electricity a month + whatever you were paying.

i'm actually asking because i'm not too clear on the options to pay right now - i moved recently and the last time i paid the bills myself i just got a quarterly bill to pay. this time i'm planning to get a monthly one, got a smart meter so there's no need for any estimating.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

once my sister and her trusty saw gets back from holiday!

imagining a panel saw by the pool on a sun lounger

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

Because you should be using brown sauce. Tartare sauce as default with fish and chips is a North American thing and you will be punished accordingly .

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Breaking: Wes streeting arrested after stop and search

https://twitter.com/ComradeCollie/status/1555742564447395846

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

roomtone posted:

why are you looking to pay a high direct debit? if you are 1 person in a small flat, you'd have to be really going nuts to use £120 of electricity a month + whatever you were paying.

i'm actually asking because i'm not too clear on the options to pay right now - i moved recently and the last time i paid the bills myself i just got a quarterly bill to pay. this time i'm planning to get a monthly one, got a smart meter so there's no need for any estimating.

I don't. That would be the increase cost from using the same as now just because of tariff change, not using an extra £120 worth

I fixed for 2 years last October just before everything went pear shaped and averaged over the year I pay maybe £60 a month (all electric here) though my direct debit is £68 pm. But if I build up too much credit I can get it back off octopus (simple process).
I was looking to see what I might be in for when I renew next year as I don't know if my work contract is being renewed fro January or not. But it was very difficult to find tariffs details fixed or not for any company. The only one I found was that one which is approx 3x what I'm paying now.
I submit readings every 1-2 weeks and get a fresh bill every time so I can see if I might want to claw back something from the account or just once, in January, I paid a bit extra.
I don't have to wait for monthly or quarterly bills.
On that tariff I posted £20pm would be the standing charge! Unit price 70p per kwH!!! I've got economy 7 so my day rate would be higher and night rate lower. Also WFH most days so cost of 2 computers etc currently about 25p pd would go to 75p pd. And until very recently did not earn enough to pay tax so couldn't benefit from the tax break for WFH, mingy as it was.
I don't have my own washing machine as there is no room.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 13, 2022

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

crispix posted:

i think she's an arsehole, but her name is rachel

They've seen the Keith stratagem and want to make their own version :v:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

need a little perspective here

contracted to work 16 hrs/week in hospitality - for past two years though have been working around 40 hours, contract not updated

new manager started this week - new rota has me working 5 shifts from 10am to "end", which it turns out is around 9pm (end of food service), with the manager deciding exactly when I am free to go. I had to ask to find this information out, I was not consulted on whether this was okay for me to work

last night under old manager's last rota I was scheduled to work 3pm-10pm - at 10pm I was stopped and quite firmly told that I was working until the end of the night (past 11pm) because even though it says 3-10pm on the rota, he sees that as being 3-end of night and the manager decides exactly when the shift ends

as an aside I have about 100 hours accumulated holiday (which I have not been able to take due to being understaffed)

to me this seems unreasonable and kinda dodgy which is why I am handing in my 2 weeks notice tomorrow. I don't trust this guy as far as I can throw him, so what should I be wary of?

Manage upwards - your new LM probably hasn't clocked everyone's circumstances yet. What is your actual ideal outcome here? Do you want to work 16 hrs/week or do you want a full time contract? Is a 10pm stop a hard line for you or negotiable (if you are a part timer it would be reasonable to expect to leave on hours complete, as a full timer in hospitality I'd expect to be staying until close up). Do you want to take the leave (it would be reasonable to say 'not during busy season', this is hospitality) or would a cheque for the hours owed make you right?

Before you hand in your notice lay out your situation and give your manager some options. Explain what your contract says, explain what you've actually been doing for the last two years, explain what you want. If they are open to discuss things then explain that if things stay as they are then you are going to have to look elsewhere but just for information - don't try and use your resignation as holding a gun to their head. The business is not going to re-work itself around you but if you want it there's a chance you walk away with a full time contract and a better shift pattern.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly anyone moving to the UK with a less than perfect grasp of english I feel very bad for I'm not sure that english is spoken in most of the UK, just a wide variety of grunting and screaming noises that a sufficient immersion in english will allow you to sometimes parse meaning out of.

What always confused me about Cork is the number of kids from…pretty much every country in the world who come to study there to learn English better. We have trouble understanding ourselves.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Aipsh posted:

What always confused me about Cork is the number of kids from…pretty much every country in the world who come to study there to learn English better. We have trouble understanding ourselves.

I studied abroad in Germany and became friends with a girl from Cork while there. Her accent was pretty mild, but her friend from Cork came to visit one time and it’s the hardest time I’ve ever had understanding an English-speaking accent. Had a 1+ hour convo with him and basically only understood every third word.

Id take the Aberdeenshire or any other UK accent any day of the week over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MeinPanzer posted:

I studied abroad in Germany and became friends with a girl from Cork while there. Her accent was pretty mild, but her friend from Cork came to visit one time and it’s the hardest time I’ve ever had understanding an English-speaking accent. Had a 1+ hour convo with him and basically only understood every third word.

Id take the Aberdeenshire or any other UK accent any day of the week over that.

Fit like? Yer a fair bonnie quine. Fer about ye bide?