Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

bird with big dick posted:

So far I've only driven the S back from the service center but do these older (2016ish? it's a 75D) ones not apply the brake at stoplights? I looked for a setting to turn it on but didn't see it and it definitely likes to roll forward if you don't have your foot on the brake.

Also I panicked for a second when it had zero regen and rapidly realized they had charged it to 100%.

Also the center screen is very slow/non responsive compared to my 2022.

I think the 75D predates the use of permanent magnet motors, so the way one pedal driving works is probably different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Same, I have a soft spot for crappy Mazdas though. I heard a rumor they want to put a rotary range extender in the next one.

I kinda assume they are waiting to platform share with Toyota because I doubt Mazda has the money to come up with a proper EV platform. Or Toyota will finally just buy the rest of Mazda (currently have a 5% stake).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

dalstrs posted:

Just wanted to post a pic of my new ride. I love the way it drives but wish it had a little more cargo room. AWD Wind w/ tech.

sweet ride!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

dalstrs posted:

Just wanted to post a pic of my new ride. I love the way it drives but wish it had a little more cargo room. AWD Wind w/ tech.

I actually saw one of these driving this morning, sharp looking car!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I actually saw a Hummer EV in the wild yesterday evening. It's smaller than I expected - about the size of an H2 with a bit lower overall height, judging by the F-250 that was in front of it. The lighting on the front is pretty neat, I'll give it that.
Also saw a Rivian pickup a few days ago, but it was in front of me and turning, so didn't really get a good look, and nothing of the front. It looks nice from the angles I saw, and not overly huge for a pickup.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Jalopnik made a list of which cars will be eligible for the new tax credit. https://jalopnik.com/every-ev-that-qualifies-for-the-inflation-reduction-act-1849391274

It's a lovely slide show, so to save you a bunch of clicks:

Cadillac Lyriq
Chevrolet Bolt EUV
Chevrolet Bolt EV
Ford F-150 Lightning
Ford Mustang Mach-E
GMC Hummer EV
Lucid Air
Nissan Leaf
Rivian R1S
Rivian R1T
Tesla Model 3
Tesla Model S
Tesla Model X
Tesla Model Y
Volkswagen ID.4

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

borkencode posted:

Tesla Model 3

So, will the reinstated credit drive down used prices, too? I would want one that still has radar (hypothetically, in a year or two).

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I wonder if this will make Ioniqs and EV6’s easier to find

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eyes Only posted:

I think the 75D predates the use of permanent magnet motors, so the way one pedal driving works is probably different.

It's this. I had the same experience going to a 2018 75D to a 2019 TM3 loaner and back again.

Now I wish Tesla would implement the same behaviour on my 75D just using the regular brakes to come to a complete stop :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Darchangel posted:

I actually saw a Hummer EV in the wild yesterday evening. It's smaller than I expected - about the size of an H2 with a bit lower overall height, judging by the F-250 that was in front of it. The lighting on the front is pretty neat, I'll give it that.
For comparison:
code:
               H1     H2 SUV   H2 SUT   EV SUV   EV SUT    R1S     R1T    Lightning   Silverado RST  
 ----------- ------- -------- -------- -------- -------- ------- ------- ----------- --------------- 
  Length      184.5      189    203.6    196.8    216.8   200.8   217.1       232.7             233  
  Width        86.5     81.2     81.2     86.5     86.7    81.8    81.8          80                  
  Height         77     77.8     79.2     77.8     79.1    77.3    78.2        78.3              76  
  Wheelbase     130    122.8    122.7    126.7    135.6   121.1   135.8       145.5           145.7  
  Track        71.6     69.4     69.4     73.3     73.3    67.3    67.3        68.3                              
The EV is 8 (SUV) or 13 (SUT) inches longer and 5 inches wider than the equivalent H2 models.

The H1 is actually the shortest of the bunch, though just as wide as the EV, and they're all roughly the same height

quote:

Also saw a Rivian pickup a few days ago, but it was in front of me and turning, so didn't really get a good look, and nothing of the front. It looks nice from the angles I saw, and not overly huge for a pickup.
I threw the Rivian dimensions in the above chart as well. The width numbers might be a bit weird, GM and Wikipedia seem to both list the width of the main body itself ignoring the mirrors altogether, Rivian only lists mirrors out or mirrors folded, but the others should be comparable.

I'm actually surprised the Rivian is slightly longer than the Hummer, I figured the shared platform with the Silverado EV would make it closer to the F-150, and everyone who compares the two makes a point of how the Rivian is smaller than the F-150.

edit: Added the Lightning and Silverado to the chart, can't find width or track info for the Silverado but definitely shows my assumption of the Hummer being a similar size was way off.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 12, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Maybe by the time i get around to wanting a new car, the RWD model 3 will have 300 miles of range via updates.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I wonder if this will make Ioniqs and EV6’s easier to find
Does this mean the old tax credit is going away for cars that don't qualify for the new one? Or are they still eligible until they sell 150k units or whatever?

I was planning on trying for an Ioniq 6 next year if I can't find an EV6 for a reasonable price (LOL) in the next few months, but if it's going to be effectively $7500 more, I might just give up on it.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I have half a mind to spam California's legislature with demands suggestions to increase the state refund to cover cars that didn't make the list.

Air quality and all that.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

wolrah posted:

For comparison:
code:
               H1     H2 SUV   H2 SUT   EV SUV   EV SUT    R1S     R1T    Lightning   Silverado RST  
 ----------- ------- -------- -------- -------- -------- ------- ------- ----------- --------------- 
  Length      184.5      189    203.6    196.8    216.8   200.8   217.1       232.7             233  
  Width        86.5     81.2     81.2     86.5     86.7    81.8    81.8          80                  
  Height         77     77.8     79.2     77.8     79.1    77.3    78.2        78.3              76  
  Wheelbase     130    122.8    122.7    126.7    135.6   121.1   135.8       145.5           145.7  
  Track        71.6     69.4     69.4     73.3     73.3    67.3    67.3        68.3                              
The EV is 8 (SUV) or 13 (SUT) inches longer and 5 inches wider than the equivalent H2 models.

The H1 is actually the shortest of the bunch, though just as wide as the EV, and they're all roughly the same height

I threw the Rivian dimensions in the above chart as well. The width numbers might be a bit weird, GM and Wikipedia seem to both list the width of the main body itself ignoring the mirrors altogether, Rivian only lists mirrors out or mirrors folded, but the others should be comparable.

I'm actually surprised the Rivian is slightly longer than the Hummer, I figured the shared platform with the Silverado EV would make it closer to the F-150, and everyone who compares the two makes a point of how the Rivian is smaller than the F-150.

edit: Added the Lightning and Silverado to the chart, can't find width or track info for the Silverado but definitely shows my assumption of the Hummer being a similar size was way off.

Thanks for the chart. I knew the Lightning wouldn't really fit in my garage, but I didn't realize it was so much longer than the rest (aside from the Silverado).

Hmm... I wonder how my impressions of size compare with something like a 'smaller' 2022 Audi e-tron:
193 inches long
76.2 inches wide (86.2 with mirrors)
65.5 inches tall (+/- some due to adjustable air suspension)
115.3 inch wheelbase
64.7″ front, 64.5″ rear track width

Okay, it's a lot bigger than I thought.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Normal Barbarian posted:

I have half a mind to spam California's legislature with demands suggestions to increase the state refund to cover cars that didn't make the list.

Air quality and all that.

Be sure to sign it "Normal Barbarian", okay?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

WhiteHowler posted:

Does this mean the old tax credit is going away for cars that don't qualify for the new one? Or are they still eligible until they sell 150k units or whatever?

From what I understand, yes the old credit is going away. I’m a little fuzzy on whether it goes away next week when Biden signs the bill or if it goes away on 1/1/23 though.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

That bill is useless for a lot of EVs thanks to the rising costs. We’ll done, politicians.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That bill is useless for a lot of EVs thanks to the rising costs. We’ll done, politicians.

It's almost like the senator who has taken millions from oil companies wanted this to happen.

cruft posted:

Be sure to sign it "Normal Barbarian", okay?

Well yeah, it'll hit harder coming from a posting genius. Gotta use my clout somehow, might as well be for a good cause.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 13, 2022

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
During my multiple EV question day yesterday, I never mentioned my one boomer coworker, who managed to be wrong about every sentence he spoke

He started off with “So I was reading about them there electric cars” so I knew I was in for a trip. He mentioned that a lot of manufacturers were making cars and he didn’t realize. I was hopeful and said yeah more is awesome, some neat stuff is coming out. He then says he heard Toyota was making the best one. Now I know stuff like that is subjective, but I don’t think anyone is calling the bz4X (which I assume is what he was referring to?) the best at anything.

I did not say anything contrary to him through the conversation because in no way did I want to deal with that.

He then said hydrogen was the way to go, but, did you know the second bomb we dropped on Japan was a hydrogen one? Makes you wonder about how safe that’ll be in a car! And then also something about how he didn’t believe a hydrogen puncture would be safe despite tests saying it would. I’m honestly unsure if he thinks it would go atomic or his train of thought was that random.

He then got on the topic of how battery swapping was the only way you can go long distance with a battery and how that’s what companies are going to start doing. He said they can swap a dead battery with a full one in only 20 minutes and we’ll never see a battery get charged that fast. At this point I actually did interject and say I recently went to Chicago (from east-central Ohio) and only needed a half hour charge each way, he was absolutely incredulous at that.

The poo poo I put up with since going electric, man

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It's useless for a lot of EVs because they aren't assembled in the US. I don't see what costs have to do with it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

During my multiple EV question day yesterday, I never mentioned my one boomer coworker, who managed to be wrong about every sentence he spoke

He started off with “So I was reading about them there electric cars” so I knew I was in for a trip. He mentioned that a lot of manufacturers were making cars and he didn’t realize. I was hopeful and said yeah more is awesome, some neat stuff is coming out. He then says he heard Toyota was making the best one. Now I know stuff like that is subjective, but I don’t think anyone is calling the bz4X (which I assume is what he was referring to?) the best at anything.

I did not say anything contrary to him through the conversation because in no way did I want to deal with that.

He then said hydrogen was the way to go, but, did you know the second bomb we dropped on Japan was a hydrogen one? Makes you wonder about how safe that’ll be in a car! And then also something about how he didn’t believe a hydrogen puncture would be safe despite tests saying it would. I’m honestly unsure if he thinks it would go atomic or his train of thought was that random.

He then got on the topic of how battery swapping was the only way you can go long distance with a battery and how that’s what companies are going to start doing. He said they can swap a dead battery with a full one in only 20 minutes and we’ll never see a battery get charged that fast. At this point I actually did interject and say I recently went to Chicago (from east-central Ohio) and only needed a half hour charge each way, he was absolutely incredulous at that.

I don’t have an EV. I would like the next car I buy to be an EV, but I don’t have one. So this is all just nonsense from me. Still, how do you not just short circuit these conversations with “ITS SO loving FAST”?

unless your EV is a leaf

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

builds character posted:

I don’t have an EV. I would like the next car I buy to be an EV, but I don’t have one. So this is all just nonsense from me. Still, how do you not just short circuit these conversations with “ITS SO loving FAST”?

unless your EV is a leaf

The whole “but what if you want to road trip” question ALWAYS comes up

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was at Yosemite last weekend and met this group of British tourists trying to figure out how it charge their Leaf at a ChargePoint station. We had trouble planning the trip for our non-CHAdeMO, 260-mile-range EV. I don’t know how these folks were managing it with their Leaf.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That’s actually not the first time I’ve heard (seen?) the “hydrogen cars are somehow nuclear cars” thing. I think a few boomers remember the 1950’s concepts for uranium-powered cars, and the decades of lead gas fumes, lead paint, and general TV-news brain worms since then have blended that crazy postwar pipe dream into some sort of reality.

We’ve got an EV thread, but where’s the fission vehicle thread?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Got an email an hour back from Volkswagen about my ID.4 reservation that essentially says “um yeah, about that $7500 tax credit we advertised…”

I guess I’ll see what the dealer says or does, but if they’re planning to tack additional fees onto the list price in addition to losing the tax credit, I think I’m out.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

dalstrs posted:

This looks great. Nice job!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

It's useless for a lot of EVs because they aren't assembled in the US. I don't see what costs have to do with it.

None of Ford's extended battery Lightnings qualify for it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure the second gen Leafs are manufactured in the US.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Saw a white ioniq5 today, looked great. I’m gonna miss dat hatchback life.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

So what? Are you saying we should be subsidizing $100k+ vehicle purchases? If you can afford a vehicle at that price you don't need a subsidy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yes but most of the other Lightning models do qualify

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

So what? Are you saying we should be subsidizing $100k+ vehicle purchases? If you can afford a vehicle at that price you don't need a subsidy.

Is need the reason we’re providing EV subsidies generally? Or is it to incentivize good behavior?

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
I’m reading a bit more about the ioniq6 and if it really does turn out to be a model 3 killer with better/comparable range, slicker interior, and switching between rwd and awd I’m totally on board.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Just say you would never buy an electric car and pretend you don't have one.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I’m reading a bit more about the ioniq6 and if it really does turn out to be a model 3 killer with better/comparable range, slicker interior, and switching between rwd and awd I’m totally on board.

You're thinking of the BMW I4

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nobody needs a subsidy because nobody needs an EV. The subsidies exist to make EVs more attractive to buyers by closing some of the gap in cost between an EV and its gas based competitors, thus getting more EVs on the road to mitigate climate change. Whether the car in question costs 35k or 100k the purpose is the same, to provide some additional incentive to purchase the version that’s less terrible for the environment.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

You all will never defeat the 100k car buyer crowd in justifying a tax break for themselves lol. They will die on that hill

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Should probably just tax ICE more instead but :lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Infinotize posted:

You all will never defeat the 100k car buyer crowd in justifying a tax break for themselves lol. They will die on that hill

This is like the argument that we shouldn’t do free college because it would help rich people who can actually afford to send their kids to college. Who loving cares? If you’re trying to broadly incentivize behavior then make the incentives universal.

I’d rather the dentists of the world buy Taycans instead of 911s and a 7500 dollar bribe makes that more likely.