Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
No matter how mild the criticism, there's always someone who feels the need to defend GGG lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's the opposite, if i was ggg i would lie to the playerbase way more and would tell people way less concrete info. imo let people figure out stuff based off of how it feels.

i'm saying the suggestion that ggg actively shies away from telling the playerbase about nerfs is just not founded in anything at all. yeah they said that was a lesson that they learned after 3.15. no i don't believe that that was a lesson that they actually significantly internalized. just look at balance manifesto compared to the sum of changes for this league: they dumped 500 apparent minion nerfs on people then a week later it finally starts to come out that actually you can now roll super strong minion affixes on several more slots than you previously could.

like 50% of the people doing balance and systems design at ggg clearly delight publicly in nerfing stuff

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
How does mark on hit support work? I haven't used marks since they redesigned them. Mainly wondering A: does it reliably hit the strongest enemy around or will it hit random dudes? And B: how does the mana cost work? Is it just a one-time payment when it triggers? Does it trigger every attack or expire on an enemy before it reapplies?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ubachung posted:

No matter how mild the criticism, there's always someone who feels the need to defend GGG lol

I could be using regals if it wasn't for the meddling GGG defenders

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Insurrectionist posted:

How does mark on hit support work? I haven't used marks since they redesigned them. Mainly wondering A: does it reliably hit the strongest enemy around or will it hit random dudes? And B: how does the mana cost work? Is it just a one-time payment when it triggers? Does it trigger every attack or expire on an enemy before it reapplies?

it triggers the mark on any valid target you hit with any attack, which does not need to be linked to mark on hit. marks last forever unless the marked target dies, or if you recast it on another valid target. you can only mark rares and uniques. it only costs mana when cast because manually casting a mark on a normal/blue just doesn't do anything, kind of like raise zombie/spectre without a corpse. sadly, it totally does constantly trigger, you need decent mana. otoh, since it only triggers after an attack, it usually doesn't eat mana for your attacks unless you have suck regen

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
If I was the Game Director at GGG I would simply put “adjusted game balance” at every patch notes and just leave at it

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
turning a big dial taht says "Balance" on it and constantly looking back at the players for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

like 50% of the people doing balance and systems design at ggg clearly delight publicly in nerfing stuff

I think they’ve figured out that the people most likely to erupt on Reddit are also probably the least likely to quit because of nerfs. If you’re spending time comprehending game balance changes in patch notes on a level to understand how that will impact your actual play experience, you’re already hopelessly addicted like the rest of us

Those most likely to quit are probably not even looped in enough to know lol

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I just want to make builds without having to care about how much currency will I need for even the most bare proof of concept.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

whydirt posted:

turning a big dial taht says "Balance" on it and constantly looking back at the players for approval like a contestant on the price is right. Behind the scenes a hundred, cracked up, chimps are pre-making GBS threads in their hands ready to go as soon as the dial moves.

qnqnx posted:

I just want to make builds without having to care about how much currency will I need for even the most bare proof of concept.

... who said you can't?

you make a budget build that doesn't rely on attaining as much dps as possible with perfect clusters/watcher eyes/very rare uniques

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 12, 2022

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

... who said you can't?

you make a budget build that doesn't rely on attaining as much dps as possible with perfect clusters/watcher eyes/very rare uniques
can you make me a budget cleave build that can clear most content seems like it might be pretty good with the buff it got appreciate it :thumbsup:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

... who said you can't?

There are skills beyond whatever is currently meta, you know. I admit, I gotta have mentioned that first.

qnqnx fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 13, 2022

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

qnqnx posted:

There are skills beyond whatever is currently meta, you know.

I get you want to build your new build beyond the metaverse . Why do you need currency to even build it?

Crafting, getting stuff on trade, just buying the gems from vendors?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

whydirt posted:

turning a big dial taht says "Balance" on it and constantly looking back at the players for approval like a contestant on the price is right

honestly game balance done right will basically do this. there's always going to be background noise of people who either love/hate stuff unconditionally, but when stuff largely feels pretty balanced people are too busy playing to yell as much

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I think they’ve figured out that the people most likely to erupt on Reddit are also probably the least likely to quit because of nerfs. If you’re spending time comprehending game balance changes in patch notes on a level to understand how that will impact your actual play experience, you’re already hopelessly addicted like the rest of us

Those most likely to quit are probably not even looped in enough to know lol

the less knowledgeable players quitting over the backlash is probably the one big risk of letting a big backlash happen. I like to give ggg poo poo for all kinds of stuff, particularly how they handled hyping a few of their leagues, but man they could announce the introduction of a new belt that gives you rare monster's modifiers for most of a minute and half of the angry reddit people would yell that it's alch shard trash until they're blue in the face without having the first clue what it actually does.

lightly conspiratorial, but imo they probably had a decent idea that the manifesto would get a big backlash and that the patch notes and unique reworks would get most people back on board because there's a bunch of good poo poo in there and stuff you can absolutely make a league starter around

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 13, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1558232874482290688

see, theyre listening, theyre making leveling better

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

the less knowledgeable players quitting over the backlash is probably the one big risk of letting a big backlash happen.

This is definitely a thing. A few leagues back some Reddit addict in a Discord I was in quit in white maps because the subreddit convinced him it was impossible to make currency in the League because Russian bot traders fully controlled the economy and he was convinced to not bother continuing to play.

It was completely nonsensical and he couldn’t explain how these currency traders impacted his drops, but he was dead set that the game was unplayable based on the Reddit screaming.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

angry reddit people would yell that it's alch shard trash until they're blue in the face without having the first clue what it actually does.

lol

get ur own jokes u nerd

shitposting aside

Aerox posted:

This is definitely a thing. A few leagues back some Reddit addict in a Discord I was in quit in white maps because the subreddit convinced him it was impossible to make currency in the League because Russian bot traders fully controlled the economy and he was convinced to not bother continuing to play.

It was completely nonsensical and he couldn’t explain how these currency traders impacted his drops, but he was dead set that the game was unplayable based on the Reddit screaming.

:smith: that sucks and is such a shame

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 13, 2022

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Dahbadu posted:

I know I'm a little late to the party, but here are my two cents on the manifesto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncu9A420ShA

Cool and all, but that’s a LOT more than two cents 🤣

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

my favorite reply to this reveal:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Elentor posted:

Cloak of Flames, Mokou and Tasalio means 200% Fire Resistance, Immunity to the Ignite side-effect from the ring and 60% Phys Damage taken as Fire as early as level 18. 75% at level 20ish with a good Lethal Pride that will probably be impossible to find now, or have Hotheaded for a 55%-60% +attack/cast speed plus 20% movement speed which is insane at still level 18.

Make Molten Strike great again

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

It's just a really unfortunate lack of, I guess QoL modernization? Of systems in Heist compared to...older systems. Like Delve, if I want to jump into the mine, here's what I do:
- Talk to Niko. He brings up the map and I pick where I'm going.
- I go.

If I want to do a regular contract:
- Use a smuggler's coin, probably from my special heist stash because I'm not letting the stack take up a precious inventory slot
- Go to the special heist stash and get the contract (maybe I grabbed this before I left my hideout)
- Talk to the NPC to give the contract to
- Select the NPC to come along on the heist. They need to meet skill prereqs so no jumping ahead in the content!
- Open the one portal and click around the people standing right next to it constantly

Add a half dozen more intermediate steps including zoning in and out of the little basement planning room, if you want to do a major blueprint, too.

Yes, this is pretty much one of the main reasons I hate heist. If I could jump into one straight from my hideout without an intermediate loading screen and having to wander around a different hub I’d probably do it far more often.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
frankly i'm doing exactly zero heist either way

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1558232874482290688

see, theyre listening, theyre making leveling better

I wonder if this is the creations that one of the winners of the last contest made.

Also, the new unique with the soul shenanigans which ZiggyD made, are we supposed to know what the actual effect does ? If that mechanic was from another unique then I didn't recognize it.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
good leveling helm, but that places it in a bit of an awkward spot since they've also nerfed unique drop rates.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

Also, the new unique with the soul shenanigans which ZiggyD made, are we supposed to know what the actual effect does ? If that mechanic was from another unique then I didn't recognize it.

You mean the Zizaran unique with Soul Eater?

https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Soul_Eater

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
I am grateful to the heist haters for keeping the chillest, boss free-est mechanic one of the most lucrative

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

EVIL Gibson posted:

I wonder if this is the creations that one of the winners of the last contest made.

All of the contest creation uniques will drop from Uber uber bosses, so this is definitely not going to be one of them. I think they said only Zizaran's one is getting released this patch since the others haven't been completed yet (something about the streamers not being timely enough at following up with the devs). That is why for this patch the boss race will have a different prize, because of the unique backlog.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Cinara posted:

He also discusses it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_JEXSOlw1w

tl;dr - he intends for it to be for boss-killers or a gear swap for general characters, doesn't know how it interacts with other sources of Soul Eater that drop off instantly (I'm gonna guess those other sources set soul count to zero when they expire so they'd overwrite these gloves' gradual drop-off mod), would be rather nuts with Anomalous Kinetic Bolt.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

FZeroRacer posted:

can you make me a budget cleave build that can clear most content seems like it might be pretty good with the buff it got appreciate it :thumbsup:

https://pastebin.com/HYu0sNXn

Best I can come up with at short notice, but it should get you through everything thats doesn't have Uber in its name. Mana can become a problem when you get everything online + the 6L, so get some Elreon crafts asap and you're golden.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Zmej posted:

my favorite reply to this reveal:

:smithfrog:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Cinara posted:

That's what was confusing me. No mention of gaining Soul Eater.

Maybe you need to gain Soul Eater from one of those few items in the page you posted?

edit: thanks for the video with Ziz explaining it.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 13, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
No, the gloves give you the ability

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
No the whole point of the item is it gives you the buff stacks that Soul Eater would normally give on kill, without granting you the Soul Eater effect.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lol

E. If I cared about standard I would probably be mad that all my I've hoarded are now worth much less at a whim.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ruggan posted:

Yes, this is pretty much one of the main reasons I hate heist. If I could jump into one straight from my hideout without an intermediate loading screen and having to wander around a different hub I’d probably do it far more often.

And without waiting for doors to open every few seconds during the heist themselves.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

realizing I couldn't trade easily if I was going hard on heist made me dislike it even more

not an issue if you don't sell a lot of poo poo I guess

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Wuxi posted:

https://pastebin.com/HYu0sNXn

Best I can come up with at short notice, but it should get you through everything thats doesn't have Uber in its name. Mana can become a problem when you get everything online + the 6L, so get some Elreon crafts asap and you're golden.
not bad but there's a few other definite improvements that could be made

* you could drop melee phys and replace it with rage for more DPS and better overall feel at max rage, and this also opens up Berserk for far more dps during boss fights
* drop the fortify node (if you're pure melee like this build you can have perma fortify through the mastery) and get Adrenaline. there are multiple ways to trigger Adrenaline and it's a massive DPS boost
* you can dump the mark nodes and a few others to invest in impale nodes instead, letting you drop impale support in favor of lifetap which solves your mana issues.

but ultimately the greater problem is that melee builds like these tend to have a lot of plates spinning that can't maintain that full DPS when in an actual fight (such as keeping up ancestral totems esp vaal totems, maintaining blood rage and juggling berserk) so the actual DPS is far lower in a real situation. this is before including the melee tax into the equation, which is why cleave ends up a lot worse in play. in comparison to something like your typical ignite build which can hit the upper end of DPS as this build while not needing to actually keep swinging.

and that's why +2 aoe radius sucks as a buff for what should be a cool and good skill.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

these tweets on every unique they post is so annoying and bad goddamn

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FZeroRacer posted:

good leveling helm, but that places it in a bit of an awkward spot since they've also nerfed unique drop rates.

Yeah it would be good in this patch but compared to the buffed ones it's now a piece of poo poo lol. Maybe if it has some way to trigger Onslaught effect or something idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Brian Tamaki, known God botherer, has been riling up his fanbase recently and there are constant annoying protests everywhere in New Zealand.

No wonder GGG hates divines.