Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oldstench posted:

Does Arkham Asylum run well on PC? Seem to recall it being a pretty lovely port back in the day.

I dunno about before but they all run great for me.

Asylum is way different if I remember right, it's basically like a stealth/beatemup in corridors? I never beat it cause I got bored of that so I dunno. City was incredible. Knight was okay. just more of the same. but if you liked City you'll enjoy Knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

WirelessPillow posted:

The "Why must Spiderman and Batman work with cops" mentality makes no sense to me

Both of them are presenting a *How it should be* scenario, where they are catching criminals to assist the cops also trying their best. Pretty sure both Batman and Spiderman have had comics about both going out of their way to catch corrupt cops and present them to the ones doing their job for the people.

The cops presented in their games are meant to be the type of cops we want, that we can trust, that is the whole point. About working in team in a functional for the better society.

It's not a useful "how it should be" story if there's no acknowledgement of reality or any reasonable suggestion as to how to reach the "should be" place besides a bad apple narrative or two.

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the game despite the propaganda (I certainly did), but it is exactly that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the type of cop i want in games is ideally "none"

same for real life too tbh

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Oldstench posted:

Does Arkham Asylum run well on PC? Seem to recall it being a pretty lovely port back in the day.

Arkham Asylum and City always ran fine for me, Arkham Knight was the one where the PC port was botched so bad that they completely removed it from the store for a while. Modern hardware has now caught up enough that it runs fine even with the terrible optimization, I went through it a while back at 2560x1440 on a GTX 1070 and performance was decent. Might have to turn off the experimental Nvidia effects, I'm not sure they ever got those working properly.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Can someone help me remember a game? All I recall from the video I saw was a hallway, the character having a flashlight, and then lights and weird poo poo happening in it. It was a first person perspective game, I think it was wondering about a detective searching an abandoned house and there were aliens? I think there was a scene where they were looking upwards at a staircase in front of them and then bright lights started shining through the walls and windows while poo poo flew around.

The trailers/gameplay I'm thinking of were on YouTube, and it was someone in the last 8 years or so. Maybe 5?

If no-one knows, there's a thread for this that might help?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'd like to see a Batman/Spiderman piece of media that deals with police corruption by working with civilians instead of cops. I haven't played Spiderman, but the Batman games end up falling so flat when they attempt to address police corruption because the answer is always 'more cops but good'... Even though every game kicks off with a massive failure of the criminal justice system.

Give me a game that ends with abolition of the police and more social workers on the streets.

Edit: then again, looking too hard into superhero stories will drive you nuts. If they just executed the Joker half the games wouldn't exist.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 13, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'd like to see a Batman/Spiderman piece of media that deals with police corruption by working with civilians instead of cops. I haven't played Spiderman, but the Batman games end up falling so flat when they attempt to address police corruption because the answer is always 'more cops but good'... Even though every game kicks off with a massive failure of the criminal justice system.

Give me a game that ends with abolition of the police and more social workers on the streets.

lol yeah!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

WirelessPillow posted:

The "Why must Spiderman and Batman work with cops" mentality makes no sense to me

Both of them are presenting a *How it should be* scenario, where they are catching criminals to assist the cops also trying their best. Pretty sure both Batman and Spiderman have had comics about both going out of their way to catch corrupt cops and present them to the ones doing their job for the people.

The cops presented in their games are meant to be the type of cops we want, that we can trust, that is the whole point. About working in team in a functional for the better society.

At least in Origins you get to beat up a lot of cops.

Also yeah, Arkham City is the best of the lot IMNHO. Arkham Knight was good, but there was too much of it, it made me tired. When I finished City I still wanted more game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Goons who've been consuming super hero media for like 40 years just realizing that spider-man doesn't shoot cops

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
hosed up that the big marvel meet up has them fighting thanos and not just all the cops in all the worlds also doing a super meet up

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Foul Fowl posted:

but the reason you shouldn't get spider man is not because the giant mainstream bland superhero open world game has mainstream bland politics but because you can get all the fun you're gonna get out of the web swinging in the 2 hour refund window and the rest of the game sucks a fat one

I really hate button using free camera combat like spider man and Mad Max, I think it's generally called Arkham like the batman series. I love fixed camera trigger based combat like soulsboure games.

Dunno what that says about me but Spiderman combat is dull to me.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fart of Presto posted:

Speaking of super hero games, I need some advice on the Batman Arkham series:

This is kind of a tangent, but the combo system can be played with just a single button tap and the analogue stick to vaguely aim it? It's actually one of the stronger ways to beat people up, by design. If you're trying to chain like 6 different weapons into the combo that's also a valid way to play but way harder, as you found. Just tap punch with a rhythm, once the meter gets high Bruce starts to take control and aiming is optional. I guess there's the occasional roll? hrm.

To answer your question, they all stay like that for the brawling segments.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Oldstench posted:

Asylum always ran fine even at launch, unless you enabled PhysX with an AMD card. Of course now if you play it on a modern Nvidia card you need to do some work around if you want the PhysX effects enabled.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Arkham Asylum and City always ran fine for me, Arkham Knight was the one where the PC port was botched so bad that they completely removed it from the store for a while. Modern hardware has now caught up enough that it runs fine even with the terrible optimization, I went through it a while back at 2560x1440 on a GTX 1070 and performance was decent. Might have to turn off the experimental Nvidia effects, I'm not sure they ever got those working properly.

Yeah there's still at least one part (cutscene when the batmobile first appears i believe?) where the optional nvidia effects break the cutscene and it just locks up for forever unless you disable them lol. Otherwise it looks and runs fine on modern hardware

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

WirelessPillow posted:

I mean, in spiderman you literally help the cops install a mass surveillance system, there's no way to spin that as something positive.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Buddy Simulator 1984 starts out great but then after an hour and a half or so just turns into something completely different and not nearly as good (and frankly it's just not horror at this point). I've been in this dumb RPG section for like two hours. This isn't fun or even spooky, this whole bit could have been removed. How much longer does it go on after you talk to the glitched out Mayor sprite and go to the fishing shop?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

lunar detritus posted:

I mean, in spiderman you literally help the cops install a mass surveillance system, there's no way to spin that as something positive.

It's not been a popular sentiment for a decade, but Peter Parker has always been a massive square, and working with the established law & order has always been Spiderman's MO (well, as much as any vigilante can). It'd be like having a Punisher game where reviewers are complaining about the glorification of violence/firearms, and wtf is with those drawn out execution-of-surrendered-civilians scenes? ACAB or not, Spidey being a stooge is a bit more palatable to general audiences.

For some real fun, check out that 90's Batman run where he was set in New York instead of Gotham. Real dark choice-of-greys stuff, also totally not videogame suitable.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

If no-one knows, there's a thread for this that might help?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

Hopped in. Thanks!!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fart of Presto posted:

Thanks for all the comments re. Arkham games

I'll give the newer ones a go, because of cause I now realize I already own them and should just loving install them and try them out :gaben:

Also good to know I'm not alone here :okboomer:

Lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WirelessPillow posted:

you can't trust cops

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Buddy Simulator 1984 starts out great but then after an hour and a half or so just turns into something completely different and not nearly as good (and frankly it's just not horror at this point). I've been in this dumb RPG section for like two hours. This isn't fun or even spooky, this whole bit could have been removed. How much longer does it go on after you talk to the glitched out Mayor sprite and go to the fishing shop?

The RPG section is the majority of the game, to the point that you assemble a party of characters that you get to choose from and there is a combat system that you are going to get very familiar with. If you haven't even gotten to that point, you've a LONG ways to go. Things do continue to... change now and then, but at a much slower pace than before, up until the endgame.

If you're expecting a horror game, you're gonna have a bad time, plain and simple. Generally I think the narrative is most interested in exploring the concept of a... very unhealthy friendship, and decides to frame it as a bit of a psychological thriller with long periods of downtime between events of actual significance, because Buddy's gradual deterioration from overextending himself takes a while to set in. Occasionally it decides to throw you moments of horror, moreso depending on certain decisions you make, how you engage with certain setpieces, and what ending you lock yourself into. The whole meta-narrative is also a bit dumb and confusing, but all told I enjoyed it simply because I rode it out with no particular expectations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ghostlight posted:

you can't trust cops
Superhero comics/video games are basically fantasy worlds already.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

fit em all up in there posted:

Trying to decide on what to get In a fanatical bundle, has anyone tried:
The Falconeer
Partisans 1941
Unrailed

The Falconer is a game I wanted to like a lot- the game gave me some real Crimson Skies vibes at first- but the game has some severe issues with it's mission design and it's lack of real variety in what you face off against. Sometimes the game is piss easy and boring and you feel like you're just checking boxes to the next actual challenge, which is usually very long stretches of grueling endurance with no checkpointing meaning you can lose big chunks of time to getting chipped down, and rarely does it find a satisfying middle ground where everything just clicks. While the whole time it's basically going to be the same few mission types against the same few enemies again and again.

You could probably do worse if you need pad the bundle to get to the 5-game tier, I guess.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Tried Spiderman, and other then the web-swinging, holy cow this is lame. The generic quippy dialogue, reheated and brainless Arkham combat, "epic" QTEs, forced walking segments, pipe puzzles and match the symbol minigames. And that was all within 1 hour of play. It's like every annoying modern game design element in a single package.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Tried Spellbook Demonslayers Prologue. It's like Vampire Survivors. It's an early access demo but they are still adding content to it and you can get hours of fun out of it too.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2070390/Spellbook_Demonslayers_Prologue/

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

eta: Wrong thread.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 13, 2022

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This looks cool, legally distinct predator sorta styled main character in a metroidvania: Moadra https://store.steampowered.com/app/1713730/Moadra/

I love biotech in movies and games, so anything with that aesthetic gets my attention

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Big Bizness posted:

Tried Spiderman, and other then the web-swinging, holy cow this is lame. The generic quippy dialogue, reheated and brainless Arkham combat, "epic" QTEs, forced walking segments, pipe puzzles and match the symbol minigames. And that was all within 1 hour of play. It's like every annoying modern game design element in a single package.

Kind of how I felt playing it on PS4. If you have the itch for a boilerplate open world game (I definitely do now and again) you could do worse, the web swinging is indeed cool, but outside of that it's nothing special.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Spider-Man runs great on my GTX 1060. On medium+ settings it looks way better than it has any right to on the hardware I'm packing. I watched a video of someone running it smooth on low settings on a 700 series. They did a great job. My son loves it and it'll get him through the last week before school starts up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Big Bizness posted:

So it's a perfect game for people who like Marvel, is what you're saying?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

So it's a perfect game for people who like Marvel, is what you're saying?

I have zero horses in any sort of comic book race but I really liked all the Arkham games and found Spider-Man comparatively soulless. And he's the one superhero I really liked when I was a little kid, too!

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

goferchan posted:

Kind of how I felt playing it on PS4. If you have the itch for a boilerplate open world game (I definitely do now and again) you could do worse, the web swinging is indeed cool, but outside of that it's nothing special.

Life's too short for boilerplate anything! I laughed hard at Spidey doing that modern game protagonist thing and thinking out loud about what you clearly need to do next. "Where's that server room!? Gotta find it!" Yes Spiderman where could it be

Sorry about the colors I was playing in HDR.

goferchan posted:

I have zero horses in any sort of comic book race but I really liked all the Arkham games and found Spider-Man comparatively soulless. And he's the one superhero I really liked when I was a little kid, too!

The last Spiderman game I played was the one on the PS1, I remember enjoying that decently enough. For Batman I've only played Arkham Asylum and yeah, surprisingly solid, not sure if I would replay it though. I think combat in it feels better then the new Spiderman (the weightiness helps) but I would much rather have something less binary for either. Press this button until we tell you to press this other button with a big on-screen prompt. Its like the flashiest graphics in the world being rendered over something as simplistic as an Atari 2600 game. I know there are more advanced combat maneuvers but you can get through most of the game like that...

For Batman I still rank the NES game, which still kicks rear end even if its hard as hell and some of the bosses are totally out there. Remember that time in the movie Batman fought a giant ice-cube?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That RE humble bundle is god tier. I own all of those games on console, but have been wishing I could justify getting all of them on PC too for a while. I'm bummed I literally just bought RE 1 and 2 remakes like a month ago though :sigh:

The rest of it is still an absoute steal at $30

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Playing Cult of the Lamb mostly just made me want to go back and play Curse of the Dead Gods (the best topdown roguelite :smug:) which lead me to find out that the developers are currently working on a new game: Ravemswatch.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2071280/Ravenswatch/

quote:

Ravenswatch is a top-down roguelike action game that combines intense real-time combat with deep gameplay and high replay value.
After the success of Curse of the Dead Gods©, Passtech returns with a new formula and game experience that can be played solo or with up to four players in co-op.

Personally, I find neither the setting or the idea of playing a roguelite in co-op interesting, but maybe somebody in this thread will.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of the other weird things about the big surveillance network Spidey helps the cops set up in the new game (which I still love playing, the webswinging is so much fun) is that at one point JJJ speaks up on his podcast/radio show about how it's an Orwellian Nightmare, he was opposed to it, and he's happy it shut down.... all completely valid criticisms/reactions yet coming from a character who is supposed to be wrong about nearly everything.

I do think it's extraordinarily cute though that he and his astronaut son called their Social Media Accounts JJinSpace and JJJatHome though :3:

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Jerusalem posted:

One of the other weird things about the big surveillance network Spidey helps the cops set up in the new game (which I still love playing, the webswinging is so much fun) is that at one point JJJ speaks up on his podcast/radio show about how it's an Orwellian Nightmare, he was opposed to it, and he's happy it shut down.... all completely valid criticisms/reactions yet coming from a character who is supposed to be wrong about nearly everything.

I do think it's extraordinarily cute though that he and his astronaut son called their Social Media Accounts JJinSpace and JJJatHome though :3:

I wasn't aware of the surveillance thing, which yeah totally a valid criticism. Hell that was a main point in one of the Bale Batman movies if I remember right.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ghostlight posted:

you can't trust cops

fiction allows us to explore stories with things that do not exist in the real world, like spider-mans and good cops

edit: the surveillance system thing sucks though, it's a poorly thought excuse to have the "activate thing to place points of interest on a section of map" deal.

still an extremely good video game though

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The superhero game also lets us explore the alternative to cops, where an upstanding pillar of the community delivers justice instead.

Unrealistically this task falls to a well meaning kid with spider powers rather than a priest, factory owner or family patriarch but the frequent beatings are p accurate

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

shut up about the dumb cops thing godddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Flimf posted:

shut up about the dumb cops thing godddamn

:emptyquote: