Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

tired: cyclonic activity

wired: marine heatwaves

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1557883801455452160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirPablo posted:

That's showing what the grass and the air between the blades can absorb, not the soil. Infiltration rates are not high enough to explain the cup on the left. Fake science.

it's real to me dammit :argh:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gripweed posted:

yeah I don't even have any food or water stashed away for this hurricane season. Nothing is happening this year.

it still seems like a good idea to always have a few days supply of food and water stowed somewhere just in case for any reason

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

code:
would you say that you loving love science 
|/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Mr. Lobe posted:

it still seems like a good idea to always have a few days supply of food and water stowed somewhere just in case for any reason

I live in the middle of a major American city, there’s really no need.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I live in the middle of a major American city, there’s really no need.
Can't tell if you're trolling or just willfully ignorant.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

stealie72 posted:

Can't tell if you're trolling or just willfully ignorant.

When you live in the middle of a major city you have no room.

My roommate keeps getting on me to pick up some water bottles, despite the fact I have a good 15 gallons of bulk water and purification things, so I'm not exactly sure what the advantage would be in bottle form.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

having supplies in an apartment is way harder than just dying

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Surely anyone could a couple gallons of eater under their bed or on top of the fridge or something, and who doesn't have at least 1 shelf in a cabinet they could stow a few days of dry goods in?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Surely anyone could a couple gallons of eater under their bed or on top of the fridge or something, and who doesn't have at least 1 shelf in a cabinet they could stow a few days of dry goods in?

please understand, I build Gundam models. that space is full

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gripweed posted:

Gundam is just mad nug backwards. You can eat them!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

You should have a stockpile of food anyway what with the constant crazy rise in prices.

Think of it this way, you're investing in food today so you can save $ on food in the future

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Gripweed posted:

lol good luck with that

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

NeonPunk posted:

You should have a stockpile of alcohol anyway what with the constant crazy rise in prices.

Think of it this way, you're investing in alcohol today so you can save $ on alcohol in the future

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If you live in a city you'll be finehttps://twitter.com/latimes/status/1558153042339319808

quote:

If a similar storm were to happen today, the study says, up to 10 million people would be displaced, major interstate freeways such as Interstates 5 and 80 would be shut down for months, and population centers including Stockton, Fresno and parts of Los Angeles would be submerged — a $1-trillion disaster larger than any in world history.

It would also likely be “bigger in almost every respect” than what scientists have come to call the “ARKStorm scenario” of 1862, said climate scientist Daniel Swain, co-author of the study published Friday in the journal Science Advances.

“There’s more rain overall, more intense rainfall on an hourly basis and stronger wind,” he said.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

rip dry goods

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The formal paper was helpfully explained in a blog post by one of the authors.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the big one and the deluge and the super volcano and whatever other westcoast disaster is never gonna happen in this loser timeline

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Gripweed posted:

Almost as if grass, by being a complex structure with much more surface area, helps the ground above it absorb water

oh my god i hate you all FINE

https://imgur.com/NtF5A22

It's just loving running out the sides, like I said.

i hate this kind of worthless "science" because it's the dumbest possible poo poo that's obviously fake and is trivially disproven and chuds use it as a gotcha there's no global warming because you lied about water running out of a glass

yes, damp healthy ground absorbs water faster than baked, dry fields. no, it's nowhere near as dramatic as that dogshit video

Harik has issued a correction as of 20:45 on Aug 12, 2022

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Harik posted:

i hate this kind of worthless "science" because it's the dumbest possible poo poo that's obviously fake and is trivially disproven and chuds use it as a gotcha there's no global warming because you lied about water running out of a glass

yes, damp healthy ground absorbs water faster than baked, dry fields. no, it's nowhere near as dramatic as that dogshit video

Ahem, you did not do this experiment properly. You need to compare it on a parched field for it to be an acceptable result.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
That's so goddamned pitch-perfect it makes me grind my teeth, lol.

The legitimate answer to that is I'm not performing an experiment here, I'm requesting more data from the original experiment to confirm that their methodology properly accounted for the surface tension of water.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/Lichtecho/status/1558129773016236038

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Gripweed posted:

yeah I don't even have any food or water stashed away for this hurricane season. Nothing is happening this year.

this is the first stage the kids call “gently caress around” in “gently caress around and find out”

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

They just gotta build the highways really really tall like in New Orleans

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

The only emergency supplies one needs to keep around are tarps.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wolfy posted:

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

the big one and the deluge and the super volcano and whatever other westcoast disaster is never gonna happen in this loser timeline

dont forget the cascadia tsunami

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

dont forget the cascadia tsunami

I mean if we're talking about the cascadia tsunami we have to talk about the massive earthquake that will cause it too. It's not like cascadia is any more prepared for that

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just hope we get a big one that every one agrees was THE big one cause i dont want to get lectured after 120 million deaths about aktually the plate could have ruptured even harder if

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

i just hope we get a big one that every one agrees was THE big one cause i dont want to get lectured after 120 million deaths about aktually the plate could have ruptured even harder if

if we bothered to do anything about climate, we’d be sorry for the wasted effort if we got a bunch of big ones and died.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Harik posted:

That's so goddamned pitch-perfect it makes me grind my teeth, lol.

The legitimate answer to that is I'm not performing an experiment here, I'm requesting more data from the original experiment to confirm that their methodology properly accounted for the surface tension of water.

perhaps you, like the water, need to touch grass :cool:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

tarp or gtfo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Storing water long-term seems like a bad idea, it'll get all manky.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You have to put a little bleach in it when you store it or it will get gross yeah

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My favorite weather phenomenon is earthquake

My second favorite is tsunami

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

SirPablo posted:

My favorite weather phenomenon is earthquake

My second favorite is tsunami

two great tastes that taste great together

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

earthquake goonami

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Wolfy posted:

I'm gonna make a million jillion dollars selling bumper stickers that say "JESUS IS MY TARP"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
poor seattlites, thought of cascadian subduction and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

gotta rotate it out every 6 months and keep it inside where the temps are more mild