Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Disco Pope posted:

Huh. I don't think we ever had Radio Shack in the UK, but we did have Tandy (the brand on that box) which was very similar. Time for some detective work!

I got him from a Tandy (Well, my Mum got him from a Tandy) and he was my Shockwave until he finally fell apart a *bit* too much, and got binned.

Sleep well proud warrior, you ruled that third floor of the Sindy House like a GOD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Tandy was the brand of computer that Radio Shack sold.

We had a TRS 80, and according to my mom it never worked right and they almost got divorced over it. My memories of it were just mashing the keys on the keyboard and watching the letters appear on screen!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

I'm sure Hasbro amended the licensing agreement to be more exclusive pretty quickly though. Also the unofficial fan name "Shackwave" is perfect

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/RadioShack

It looks like the company with the original rights to the mold sold it on to... somebody else. If it'd been Hasbro or Takara, there probably would have been a reissue of the original toy by now.

A couple years ago, Hasbro did do a recolor of a recent Shockwave toy that was one big reference to Shackwave:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My 14 year old fridge took a dump yesterday evening, so I went to a Spencers Appliance store to look for a replacement today after work.

I ended up getting one, but for a split second, I thought about this one. I don’t even think this was for sale, but if it had been, the temptation would’ve taken ahold of me.

They also had these there for decorative aesthetic purposes, and LOL:

And if I ever want to wash my clothes in the style of settlers at Colonial Williamsburg, i’ll get this:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gonz posted:

They also had these there for decorative aesthetic purposes, and LOL:

Exact set we had growing up. Anyone else?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I haven’t seen one of those since probably 1985, and they’re glorious.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Ja, my mom had the 1961 Maytag set. Fuckin' tanks.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

There’s a woodworking thread if you need help making cabinet fridge come true.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yep, we had those.

Iron Crowned posted:

We had a TRS 80, and according to my mom it never worked right and they almost got divorced over it. My memories of it were just mashing the keys on the keyboard and watching the letters appear on screen!

My high school had TRS-80s. I learned to type and code in Pascal on 'em.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Behold…childhood paradise:

Especially if you went to a birthday party there with the whole place reserved.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
so that image is like a decade old, yes?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Panty Saluter posted:

so that image is like a decade old, yes?
Maybe if you were born in 1975, Xoomer

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Now post the one where the 40 raptor is feasting on Big Tim The Human Piece of Toast's knees

Cause mine started hurting at odd moments this year

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

FilthyImp posted:

Maybe if you were born in 1975, Xoomer

if you're an 80s kid you were probably born in the late 70s. its hard to form long term memories as a toddler

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Panty Saluter posted:

if you're an 80s kid you were probably born in the late 70s. its hard to form long term memories as a toddler

:c00lbert:

:colbert:

:ffg:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Ad from 1981.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
God those old front projectors were so terrible. Your room had to be blacked out, and viewing angles were still terrible. Even the cheapest panels today outdo them.

They also sucked down power and the earliest examples didn't even have line doublers, so I hope you like raster structure. It was a big fuckin picture though, so they were still objects of lust

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Panty Saluter posted:

God those old front projectors were so terrible. Your room had to be blacked out, and viewing angles were still terrible. Even the cheapest panels today outdo them.

They also sucked down power and the earliest examples didn't even have line doublers, so I hope you like raster structure. It was a big fuckin picture though, so they were still objects of lust

My only experience with them was Nintendo's manual telling me not to play my Nintendo Entertainment System:tm: on one or it could cause burn-in.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Neito posted:

My only experience with them was Nintendo's manual telling me not to play my Nintendo Entertainment System:tm: on one or it could cause burn-in.

oh no

i had a friend with one of these and all i knew is that those colored lights were cool.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i cant believe you have a working one

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Panty Saluter posted:

i cant believe you have a working one

that's just a picture i found, i don't have room for a monster like that.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Philips used to make those things, but without the screen. Just 3 projection CRTs in a row, and you'd project on a wall or on a screen.

I really wanted one of those. Still do. But the CRTs on them don't last nearly as long as standard TV crts, so if i were to find one, haul the 45kg thing home, find a place to put it, and fix it up so it has a picture again - i risk horribly worn out CRTs.

But they're awesome.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My first experience with movie-theater-style surround sound in a home setup was a childhood friend's dad showing off his new projection TV with 'Apocalypse Now' on what must've been laserdisc sometime in the late 80s or early, early 90s. Even at the time the picture was pretty lovely if there was ANY ambient light AT ALL but I chased the high from the panning sound of the helicopters during the beach landing scene circling my head for years, until DVDs were invented and I could finally afford my own 5.1 setup. I still think to this day that if you HAD to choose between big beautiful screen but lovely sound or tiny/crappy screen but huge nice surround system, I'd go for the latter every time. Even watching on a tablet is fine if you've got great sound, but the nicest screen in the world won't make up for lovely speakers.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Aug 16, 2022

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I keep thinking of speccing out a 5.1 setup, but my problem is that I'd want to use it for both my PC and my TV, which sit 90 degrees from each other.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In that case I'd get some nice 7.1 headphones for the PC. FWIW I've just got a pair of nice stereo studio monitors and a subwoofer on my gaming PC and haven't felt like I was missing much.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Imagined posted:

In that case I'd get some nice 7.1 headphones for the PC. FWIW I've just got a pair of nice stereo studio monitors and a subwoofer on my gaming PC and haven't felt like I was missing much.
I have weird sensory issues around headphones, but I'll give some a try. Any reccs?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Not really, I personally only use them if I'm on voice chat. I just know it seems like PC gaming was going toward genuine 7.1 setups for a while but then seems to have backed off of that and gone into more of the direction of virtual surround from stereo speakers that honestly works shockingly well. I would guess that they realized that even among serious PC gamers few people wanted to surround their computer desk with a rats nest of speakers and most people gamed with headphones anyway.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

With headphones, you can get pretty amazing surround sound anyway. There's this 'barber shop' simulation recorded with a dummy head microphone and it's almost creepy.

I used to own some really old 4 driver quadraphonic headphones from Koss. They were heavy and sounded quite crappy compared to a modern 60 euro AKG k240 or something like it. They also had tone control which was broken and i never went through the effort of trying to fix them.

I sold them to a collector since they were complete in box with user manual

If you have issues with headphones in general, it might help to reduce the stereo separation a bit. With speakers your ears always hear a mixture of the left and right speaker, but with headphones it's only either of them.
There used to be a Winamp plugin for that. It moves the soundstage from 'within' your head to a more loudspeaker-like soundstage. Or if you run everything through a mixing desk, don't use a stereo channel, but use two mono channels and don't fully pan those left and right.

If the feeling of isolation is a problem (feeling pressure in your head, or hearing too much of your own body's sounds) go for open headphones like the aforementioned AKG.
The opposite of this are things like the Sennheiser HD202 which is a closed system isolating you from the environment.

LimaBiker has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Aug 16, 2022

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Neito posted:

I have weird sensory issues around headphones, but I'll give some a try. Any reccs?

I've found the difference between open-back vs closed back headphones to be enormous in how long I can wear them and general fatigue. On-ear vs over-ear is another huge factor, as is the material the cushioning is made of (get that fake leather/vinyl poo poo out of here, cloth for life).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Panty Saluter posted:

Yea born in 77 so I got ALL the best parts of the 80s, while being shielded by how lovely the decade was.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I got to experience all of the careless freedom of the 80's, and somehow didn't get abducted. Such things as: buying cigarettes for my parents at age 7. Being gone all day with friends just roaming around without phones, money, or a clue. Spending hours in an arcade alone without even my parents knowing where I was.

Tbh back then it didn't feel like freedom, it felt like a hassle cause you had to spend so much time finding your friends by either walking to the spot, knocking on all their doors, or sitting by the phone, and I'm happy those days are over.

Oh also do you guys remember trying to meet up with people at a specific time and them being late and you just had to like kick rocks for an hour cause you didn't have a phone or a gameboy yet? It was stupid boring.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I got to experience all of the careless freedom of the 80's, and somehow didn't get abducted. Such things as: buying cigarettes for my parents at age 7. Being gone all day with friends just roaming around without phones, money, or a clue. Spending hours in an arcade alone without even my parents knowing where I was.

Tbh back then it didn't feel like freedom, it felt like a hassle cause you had to spend so much time finding your friends by either walking to the spot, knocking on all their doors, or sitting by the phone, and I'm happy those days are over.

Oh also do you guys remember trying to meet up with people at a specific time and them being late and you just had to like kick rocks for an hour cause you didn't have a phone or a gameboy yet? It was stupid boring.
This is like half the plots of Seinfeld.

I was actually just thinking about the information network that kids all had pre-internet. I grew up in the suburban Midwest and was the perfect age for there to be arcade machines everywhere. Somehow, we all knew what stores had what games, when they changed out, etc. I don't remember actively talking about any of this at any point, but somehow we all must have been talking about it at school pretty much all the time.

We spent way too much time and money riding around between convenience stores, pizza huts, Hills lobbies, and god knows where else with our quarters. Despite there being a perfectly serviceable arcade within the radius that we were riding.

This all barely overlapped with me having a paper route and always being little kid rich (seriously like $30/week in 1987 dollars), which led to a lot of quarters in games and a lot of garbage convenience store food in my gut.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh yea, i got 40 bux every 2 weeks and i felt like a millionaire. Kept me in comics and GI Joes.

But oh god something anyone born after 2000 will never know, the feeling of being at the place at the right time and being the only one who was there. Both an 80s and 90s thing. Also just being bored is something i remember distinctly from the later 80s. You get dragged with your parents to the mall and you have to just be quiet while they buy filters for the vacuum and just have to be quiet and wait while they looked around.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea, i got 40 bux every 2 weeks and i felt like a millionaire. Kept me in comics and GI Joes.

But oh god something anyone born after 2000 will never know, the feeling of being at the place at the right time and being the only one who was there. Both an 80s and 90s thing. Also just being bored is something i remember distinctly from the later 80s. You get dragged with your parents to the mall and you have to just be quiet while they buy filters for the vacuum and just have to be quiet and wait while they looked around.
Ha, I almost forgot about the weekly trip to my local Comic Book Guy. For like half of my childhood, he was located in a weekly flea market in a dirty, empty industrial building and I'm pretty sure I and various friends spent a good 2-3 hours there every Saturday.

And going to Hills for GI Joe guys. Would walk in with $10 and buy the 4 guys that came with the most stuff, never really caring how obscure they were. This is how I ended up with obscure nobodies like Snow Serpent and Psychout. Then being bored because my mom still had an hour of shopping for vacuum filters and saran wrap left.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

stealie72 posted:

Ha, I almost forgot about the weekly trip to my local Comic Book Guy. For like half of my childhood, he was located in a weekly flea market in a dirty, empty industrial building and I'm pretty sure I and various friends spent a good 2-3 hours there every Saturday.

And going to Hills for GI Joe guys. Would walk in with $10 and buy the 4 guys that came with the most stuff, never really caring how obscure they were. This is how I ended up with obscure nobodies like Snow Serpent and Psychout. Then being bored because my mom still had an hour of shopping for vacuum filters and saran wrap left.

I got comics at the grocery store. I realized early enough that i couldn't get a chocolate bar, but spider-man I could always get. Even though JJJ scared me because he looked like Hitler.

See i was super focused on my Joe's, i needed someone to lead both the cobra and Joes, i needed a heavy, a melee guy, and so on. But yea, a tenner getting you 3 or 4 joes was awesome.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/znicx1c.gifv

https://youtu.be/IrIg18Uby4E

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Tonight

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Played by veteran horror actor Doug Jones

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/evan_greer/status/1560312355128483843

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

flavor.flv posted:

Played by veteran horror actor Doug Jones

Also was cooped by Racists during the "I'm not racist, i'm just pissing people off as a joke, but actually i am racist and using this as a cover" era of the internet in the late aughts.