Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t think it came out of nowhere.
1) There was the conversation with Margot where the Russian lady says we can help you, do you want to rot in jail for 40 years?
2) Followed by (I think it came after?) Sergei getting his family lifted out of the Soviet Union and most importantly
3j Margot's big speech which she ended with “the room is yours” and performed a dramatic exit.

I think the bomb timing was just coincidence, Margot was on her way to the Soviets after her speech.

Yeah, they probably extracted her at some point before the bomb went off, and it ended up being a helpful cover. Presumably NASA would want to stage a coverup to avoid having the outpouring of goodwill after the attack tainted by the news that the head of the agency was a spy and a defector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Oasx posted:

Didn't the russians give Margo a lot of info that helped NASA?
I don't think it would help her avoid a charge of treason, but I think there is a better story in her defending her actions, rather than to run away.

Maybe I'm a bad tv watcher but I could have sworn that information was traded, not just handed over. I think it would have been much more interesting to see her defend herself rather than this O. Henry bullshit. I'm not saying she's clean by any means, but she wasn't selling poo poo for money or anything like that.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

1) There was the conversation with Margot where the Russian lady says we can help you, do you want to rot in jail for 40 years?
2) Followed by (I think it came after?) Sergei getting his family lifted out of the Soviet Union and most importantly
3j Margot's big speech which she ended with “the room is yours” and performed a dramatic exit.

I think the bomb timing was just coincidence, Margot was on her way to the Soviets after her speech.

Is there a possibility here that Margot basically traded herself to the USSR to get Sergei and his family out, without Sergei knowing? After all, even the military said it would be a really tough job.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really want to have them make Al Gore be president in the 2000s. Then have a news segment where his administration go the intel agencies to work together and stop 9/11 or something.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Solkanar512 posted:

Is there a possibility here that Margot basically traded herself to the USSR to get Sergei and his family out, without Sergei knowing? After all, even the military said it would be a really tough job.
Sure that’s a possibility. Rewatch the video call with your question in mind.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Season 4 predictions: Margo girlbosses her way into control of the Soviet space program, Sergei is head of NASA, Ed is still an astronaut somehow

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
At least Danny got mega owned so it's not a total loss.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mister Bates posted:

Season 4 predictions: Margo girlbosses her way into control of the Soviet space program, Sergei is head of NASA, Ed is still an astronaut somehow

I kind of expect Aleida to have Margo's job/be the director of the Molly Cobb Space Center. It kind of feels like they could push Dev there with how things looked at Helios. However, it is hard to see him going to work for NASA considering his backstory.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Al Gore being President fits this show's MO so well, I'd be shocked if he isn't POTUS at the start of next season.
yeah they've kinda telegraphed this already

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Spacebump posted:

Al Gore being President fits this show's MO so well, I'd be shocked if he isn't POTUS at the start of next season.

Here's hoping he rides the mighty moon worm.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

tokin opposition posted:

Tired of having the rich CEO telling you to huddle up to listen to him eat his own farts? Come to NASA, where you can have an office with a door.

Many of them have two doors now.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

The president will be Ed, with most of his body replaced by cyborg parts. He'll govern from The Whiteship, which is a spaceship that looks like the Whitehouse, as he travels the galaxy getting angry at stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

The president will be Ed, with most of his body replaced by cyborg parts. He'll govern from The Whiteship, which is a spaceship that looks like the Whitehouse, as he travels the galaxy getting angry at stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t8hpEKb4gk

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This show had a much better Nixon impersonation :colbert:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I don't remember any explicit trades between Margo and Sergei, was more of a "hey maybe check this out" "oh poo poo thanks" and then a reciprocal interaction a couple years later. But it's made clear that both programs benefited.

Solkanar512 posted:

I had the same thought, for what it's worth.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I read it more as she knew the FBI was going to arrest her imminently, so she was just enjoying the last few minutes of freedom she had, handing over the keys to the kingdom, and then oh gently caress, a bomb went off. Either theory works though!

Solkanar512 posted:

This also tracks.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Was NASA working on an new technology Margot would have access too? I mean, she does know a ton, but you gotta think we are entering the 3rd era of new spacecraft. Of course Russia would want here for all the earlier procedural knowledge, but they'd really, really want her for new technology to be first. What would she know? I'm sure it's been touched on and i'm just forgetting. But to trade your main guy for their main guy would lead me to believe you are getting the advantage.

Edit: Actually, thinking back, they did touch on new nuclear technology, at least I think Helios did? So maybe that's it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

With another several years in there it's possible fusion rockets could be in testing, which would greatly expand what can be done in space. Podcast also mentioned they'll be going somewhere new in season 4, not only moon and Mars. If they do incorporate fusion rockets then travel to the Jovian system would be doable in a reasonable timeframe. And everyone dies instantly because of the radiation there but whatever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They do their final burn into the orbit of Jupiter. Ed, beaming with pride, says "We did it, Danny." Danny replies "Aye aye sir" and looks back to hid, his face melting onto the floor. Radiation alarms start blaring, but it's too late.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Cojawfee posted:

They do their final burn into the orbit of Jupiter. Ed, beaming with pride, says "We did it, Danny." Danny replies "Aye aye sir" and looks back to hid, his face melting onto the floor. Radiation alarms start blaring, but it's too late.

In the module period appropriate diagetic Black Eyed Peas music blares.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

This doesn't really track with what I saw.

Getting Sergei out was clearly a US/NATO operation. He talked about getting picked up in the middle of the night, swooped away on a helicopter, and was calling from Germany. If he were being traded by the Soviet government they wouldn't need to run a clandestine operation on their side to do it.

The conversation with Lenara where she warned Margo of the investigation and offered asylum had no indication of tit-for-tat or any kind of exchange. It was literally "do you want to spend the rest of your life in an American prison or come live comfortably in the Soviet Union?"

Margo's conflicting emotions during the video call from Sergei read clearly as bittersweet, happy that he was finally safe but sad that she likely won't ever see him again either because she's going to prison or to the USSR.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is it believable that someone as high profile as a former director of NASA could never be discovered?...

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Loved it! This loving show…

I believe the Russians were involved with the bombing. It’s just too much of a coincidence.

Karen’s death scene was filmed poorly. Maybe it’s supposed to be a bit ambiguous? I thought she died, my wife watching next to me does not. Ed is told she was there but whats her name doesn’t say she’s dead outright.

I think we’ll see the Mars colony thriving and slowly drifting away from the individual countries back on Earth

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
She’s dead. They did the whole glass-eyed look up to the sky and relax death thing that’s always been visual shorthand for “this character just died”.

Also she was buried under rubble, bleeding, and her story arc was basically over.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Mokotow posted:

I think we’ll see the Mars colony thriving and slowly drifting away from the individual countries back on Earth

Earlier in the season I was thinking we'd get a combined US/USSR project next season competing with China / Europe / Helios, but if it's only '03 and Margo's undercover in the USSR that's prooooobably not the case. I do think they need to do something to at least acknowledge other rich space programs that would surely also be further along in this world where countries are basically already dividing up celestial bodies for commercial exploitation.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 13, 2022

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
This season finale ends a very solid 3-month run of being able to watch a new sci-fi-related show every Friday evening, alongside Obi-Wan and Strange New Worlds. It was really something to look forward to at the end of the week, they all managed to grab my attention in some way. Thought it was really awesome, I don't get to watch too many new sci-fi stuff these days.

I'll also join the chorus and say that I thought that this was a solid season finale. The only thing that felt slightly iffy for me were the first scenes of the episode. Mostly because I like that the viewpoint has always been on America, and that they never really show anything behind-the-scenes with Russia, except from the lens from visitors. I can understand wanting to bring the audience up to speed regarding the backstory of the Korean astronaut, but I don't think I would've minded if they had only revealed some things by talking with him, and that it would remain open-ended for now on whether he's telling the truth. Also, the odds of him just preparing himself to off himself, and THEN the astronauts come to salvage his ship are fairly... well, astronomical. Still, it's fairly minor stuff.

Having Molly back in action was good. Her helping out people till the end was a good way to end her story arc, but I will definitely miss her, she was easily one of my favourite characters. And I assume that we will be learning a bit more about what's been going on in Russia from Margo's point of view. I'm almost expecting something akin to Baltar joining the Cylons in season 3. Also hoping this won't be the last we'll see of Sergei.

Season 4 can't come soon enough.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Getting Sergei out was clearly a US/NATO operation. He talked about getting picked up in the middle of the night, swooped away on a helicopter, and was calling from Germany. If he were being traded by the Soviet government they wouldn't need to run a clandestine operation on their side to do it.

Not the OP so they may have a different idea, but I was thinking of it as a "sure Margo, we'll look the other way as the black helicopters fly in", not a direct trade. Or I guess it's a trade but only the Soviets know that.

Now I wonder if we're gonna get a scene where Aleida pores over some new engine designs shared from Roscosmos and goes "wait a minute, these have Margo's fingerprints all over them".

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Baron von der Loon posted:

This season finale ends a very solid 3-month run of being able to watch a new sci-fi-related show every Friday evening, alongside Obi-Wan and Strange New Worlds. It was really something to look forward to at the end of the week, they all managed to grab my attention in some way. Thought it was really awesome, I don't get to watch too many new sci-fi stuff these days.

I wish SNW, the Orville, and For All Mankind had been more spread out. A good time for television with space travel.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol love this dumbass show. As long as it's mostly not borig I'm good with it.

So what the gently caress is up with the baby? How could they possibly have decided to keep it? That's just insane. I thought we'd see the soviets trying to get some leverage out of it maybe but nope. I guess they got rid of one American from the base?

Why is Molly dead? Unless I missed something, we saw her last alive. Did she fall into an elevator shaft or something?

Karen has to be dead though, looking at how huge the explosion was, she'd have to be paste. Great for Dev though, he might get to keep his job!

All evidence getting lost/destroyed in the attack so Margo could've been off the hook thanks to terrorism could've been pretty interesting. Though her swapping places with Sergei is pretty funny though.

Mister Bates posted:

why the hell is it even called Roscosmos, anyway? That's been bugging me for quite a while. Why does Russia have its own space program separate from the rest of the Soviet Union? Did the USSR actually collapse offscreen at some point with no one mentioning it, or are the writers just falling victim to that particular American brain poison where they think 'Russia' and 'the Soviet Union' are perfectly, 1-to-1 interchangeable?

It's a particularly weird one in terms of alt-history because it is actually called that IRL but doesn't make sense in-universe, it's like they just used the current real-life name for the Russian space program without stopping to ask why it's called that or if it makes sense to still be called that in this timeline.
Yeah thanks that's been pissing me off the whole season. I don't remember if they did it in S2. But if it's not clear for others, Roscosmos = Russian Space. Which is what Russia's current space organization is called. But not USSR's, because... it wasn't just russia. It's like NASA meant Nevada Aeronautics and Space or something. This is :ussr: erasure :argh:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Why is Molly dead? Unless I missed something, we saw her last alive. Did she fall into an elevator shaft or something?

Sergei's newspaper says the new JSC is named after "fallen hero Molly Cobb".

Unless you mean how did she die, which we didn't see.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Presumably she kept rescuing people in the dark until she walked into one of those arcing electrical wires.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

They woulda aborted if it wasn’t written and filmed a year ago. It’s fine everything is fine. Was hoping the stranger ina strange land would be the baby on earth after the time skip and not a)the Korean, b)jimmy, c)Sergei and d) Margo. But whatever not getting what i thought isn’t a deal breaker like it can be for some.

Loved the episode. Does look like the pattern will be cool start, frustrating middle, pay off end. Called okc-jse, called Margo / Sergei ships passing in the night. Called the Korean! I mean it was all there so it’s not like they were rear end pulls. Did not call Karen, or Molly. Def thought They were setting up Margo defecting and then subverting with her being exploded but I guess it just was a very convienient cover.

Anyway, was super happy with the finale. Can’t wait for a 4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

tokin opposition posted:

Cottage core lesbian cameos

That or she becomes an astronaut again and has the first gay sex in space

Ed Baldwin flips a table in rage, another 1st taken away from him!

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Great finale. The thing that surprised me the most about this season is that they didn't find life on Mars, especially since it seemed like that was the whole point of having Kelly there. I guess they'll save that for S4. Margot surviving and not getting a happy ending was also a surprise, but sure, what they did instead works fine.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

this show just casually loving over lyndon johnson for no reason is kind of funny, ngl

e: also, friendship ended with danny. lee jung-gil is my new best friend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kalko posted:

Great finale. The thing that surprised me the most about this season is that they didn't find life on Mars, especially since it seemed like that was the whole point of having Kelly there. I guess they'll save that for S4. Margot surviving and not getting a happy ending was also a surprise, but sure, what they did instead works fine.

To be fair, technically she did! :haw:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

this show just casually loving over lyndon johnson for no reason is kind of funny, ngl

e: also, friendship ended with danny. lee jung-gil is my new best friend.

I mean, cape Canaveral isn’t cape Kennedy anymore so

Space_Wizard
Dec 21, 2018
I am not at all saying that the Soviets were behind the JSC bombing. There's no real motive and the risk is far too high (a mass cas attack inside the territory of the US/USSR was outside the rules of both sides in the cold war, they very much preferred to screw over each other's proxies).

What I do think however, is that if Margo is known to be alive or discovered to be alive - public opinion and possible US government opinion will absolutely tie her to the bombing. The FBI was closing in and just before she gets caught there is a massive bombing and she escapes to the USSR.

Other episode thoughts

+I'm glad that Mars failson got no forgiveness or catharsis. He doesn't get to go out a hero and has to live with his gently caress-ups.
+Ed should have died - I like the character, I like Joel Kinnaman but that was the natural place for his story to end. At the very least, if he is going to be in season 4 let him be retired.
+Good way for Molly to go out. Loved the character - loved her ending.
+Ok way for Karen to go out. Didn't care about the character and now she is gone.
+Had a big old laugh at Dev finding out that people want paychecks, not speeches.
+Loved everything about our new Korean friend. Loved the simply human characterisation, loved Danny and the Soviet Captain's realisation that he had been first, loved the common sense reveal that of course Ed speaks Korean.

Very much looking forward to season 4

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
I thought the shot of Jimmy sitting under a picture of a Stanford torus while waiting at NASA was interesting. Probably nothing more than a random prop, but city-sized space colonies seem like something the show might eventually tackle.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
What's supposed to happen in the near terms for Mars?

The Mars people were concerned about fitting people into the MSAM. But isn't it supposed to be reusable? Does the ending crash look like its reparable or should we assume the Mars people are stuck?

The Phoenix still needs fuel, so if the MSAM is gone, they're stuck in Mars Orbit too, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Soyuz Capsule is going to become by tradition that nobody remembers the origins of the defacto solitude/prison cell for troublemakers on Mars, including a rule that you have to put a picture of your loved ones on the console. Also they're going to send Margo there when they find out she's alive.