Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm still very surprised out of all the handwringing in having legacy heroes take over their mentor's places, Alfred's death still sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

I'm still very surprised out of all the handwringing in having legacy heroes take over their mentor's places, Alfred's death still sticks.

For now.

But yeah, Damian blames himself for Alfred's death (and in part he had some nominal culpability because Bane threatened to kill Alfred if any Bat-fam showed up) and got a front row seat to watch Alfred dying in his failed attempt to save him. The secret villain prison was before that and what basically broke up his version of the Teen Titans (who became the B-squad for the older Titans). Alfred's death, iirc, caused him to toss the Robin name (which could allow Tim Drake to pick it up again before just letting them share it like how the Batgirls share theirs while also having a secondary code name).

Btw, Azrael has a new mini-series starting that takes place after his appearance in Arkham City: The Order of the World and has Vengeance, from her introduction in The Joker series, appear.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 3, 2022

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Doesn’t Damian want to dunk Alfred’s corpse in a Lazarus pit? I probably should be paying attention to the Robin series. It has Lord Death Man!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Doesn’t Damian want to dunk Alfred’s corpse in a Lazarus pit? I probably should be paying attention to the Robin series. It has Lord Death Man!

You should, it's very good!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Batman this week had an out of nowhere ending that had me shouting “Yes!” like some sicko.

Zur-En-Arrh!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Jiro posted:

It's necessary because they have not yet had Bruce give up being Batman and honor Alfred's legacy by donning the mantle of the Macaroni

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I liked Mary Marvel's new book, the art was delightful and the combination of a fresh start at college and a chatty, spell-casting rabbit pulling her back in Godfather III style worked well for me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Argue posted:

It's necessary because they have not yet had Bruce give up being Batman and honor Alfred's legacy by donning the mantle of the Macaroni

gently caress the Macaroni

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Tim Drake's original origin story is very stupid.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
All robin origin stories are kind of dumb, it’s tradition

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

All robin origin stories are kind of dumb, it’s tradition

His PTSD flashback making him realize robin is dick Grayson is exceptionally stupid.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

listen, only the world's second greatest detective could possibly count somersaults.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The dumbest Robin thing is him figuring out Batman was still alive after Final Crisis when the rest of the world was "he's dead."

It came off less as "a genuis detective figures out a presumed dead person is still alive" and more "kid reads the solution to a mystery game before playing it. And swears that he is totally figuring it all out as he plays it, guys!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Question IRL posted:

The dumbest Robin thing is him figuring out Batman was still alive after Final Crisis when the rest of the world was "he's dead."

It came off less as "a genuis detective figures out a presumed dead person is still alive" and more "kid reads the solution to a mystery game before playing it. And swears that he is totally figuring it all out as he plays it, guys!"

I saw it more as the way most people in the dc universe saw it, a kid in denial about the death of a loved ones but eventually turns out right

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
After watching some of the DC cartoons on HBO Max, I've been thinking about reading some cape comics again. Specifically, I'm interested in Nightwing, Green Arrow, maybe Zatanna. I've read some of the Green Arrow highlights in the past (I think one of them was called Empty Quiver or something along those lines), but what are some of the highlights for those three? I've heard the recent Nightwing books are good, should I just jump in at the start of the current team's run?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

King of Solomon posted:

After watching some of the DC cartoons on HBO Max, I've been thinking about reading some cape comics again. Specifically, I'm interested in Nightwing, Green Arrow, maybe Zatanna. I've read some of the Green Arrow highlights in the past (I think one of them was called Empty Quiver or something along those lines), but what are some of the highlights for those three? I've heard the recent Nightwing books are good, should I just jump in at the start of the current team's run?

Jumping at the start of Tom Taylor's run for Nightwing would be fine. It starts off very strong.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Batman: The Adventures Continue seasons one and two are excellent continuations of the 90s animated series, and feature some Nightwing and Zatanna (how could they not include Zatanna, with Paul Dini writing alongside Alan Burnett).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dawgstar posted:

Jumping at the start of Tom Taylor's run for Nightwing would be fine. It starts off very strong.

Looks like there are a couple collections from Tom Taylor's run, Leaping into the Light and Fear State. I'm guessing the idea here is I pick up these two books, then start reading from Nightwing #87. That sound right?

What about Green Arrow and Zatanna?

Space Fish posted:

Batman: The Adventures Continue seasons one and two are excellent continuations of the 90s animated series, and feature some Nightwing and Zatanna (how could they not include Zatanna, with Paul Dini writing alongside Alan Burnett).

Thanks! I'll take a look at that too.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Dawgstar posted:

This is correct. I would also suggest adding his Superman: Son of Kal-El into the mix. Jon and Dick interact a bit between books, and Taylor is a great writer.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I can’t say I’ve heard great things of Superman: Son of Kal-El. It seems to be one of those love-it-or-hate-it books

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Check out the DC universe service.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Fisto posted:

This is correct. I would also suggest adding his Superman: Son of Kal-El into the mix. Jon and Dick interact a bit between books, and Taylor is a great writer.

It might also be worth picking up his Suicide Squad run which is I think collected in two, maybe three trades and pretty self-contained.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

It might also be worth picking up his Suicide Squad run which is I think collected in two, maybe three trades and pretty self-contained.

Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad run was excellent. It ran for only eleven issues and was collected in one volume. I'm a big Suicide Squad fan, and I'd say it's the second-best ever run after John Ostrander's original.

I've become a huge Taylor fan, starting with Nightwing (two TPBs so far), then Suicide Squad (one TPB), then Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (two TPBs), and then I just binge-read ALL of Injustice and Injustice 2 over the past few weeks. I was expecting some real edgelord stuff, like Mark Millar at his most nihilistic and unrestrained, but it had a lot of terrific character interactions, touching scenes, and surprising amounts of humor. The man can WRITE, and he has a really humanistic side. He likes redemption arcs, father figures, and good people trying their best.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's not DC, but if you like Taylor, you should also check out All-New Wolverine by him.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

It's not DC, but if you like Taylor, you should also check out All-New Wolverine by him.

Thank you! I didn't know he wrote that, but I just found them on Hoopla, where they have all the other Taylor books I've mentioned. He wrote Superior Iron Man as well -- two TPBs featuring a "heel turn" Tony Stark in San Francisco, messing with Daredevil.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Taylor is good. He is like that new crop of writers like Robert venditti who seem to get dc comics. They build and add to the legacies and lore. They do not demolish.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Don't be an idiot like me waiting for softcover releases of stuff like Nightwing (volume 1 comes out in December!!!!) and get on the Taylor train now

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

I can’t say I’ve heard great things of Superman: Son of Kal-El. It seems to be one of those love-it-or-hate-it books

I've seen that it's selling very well each month, it could there's an army of quiet fans out there.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

frameset posted:

I've seen that it's selling very well each month, it could there's an army of quiet fans out there.

I really like it, but it definitely is no Nightwing. Superman books usually don't do great sales wise, but people mad about Superboy smoochin' boys are definitely a thing. My main complaint is that I really don't care for the boyfriend character but the book has some great moments like going to talk with Robin while he is fighting ninjas and just ignoring them.

Jon is much better in Dark Crisis, which after a not great 1st issue is becoming one of the best Justice League stories in years.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I don't think Son of Kal-El is quite as good as Nightwing, but it's still good and definitely worth reading if you're interested in a Superman Jr. book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admittedly Super Sons are very big shoes to fill.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thetoughestbean posted:

It's just been kinda super-mediocre (no pun intended) to me.

Also it falls into the trap that I see a lot of modern superhero books do by going "We're gonna have our hero tackle real issues!" by making Jon do the tiniest of commentaries about the U.S.'s treatment of refugees/illegal immigrants... but then like, immediately have the country people are fleeing be run by a literal supervillain, undercutting the point entirely

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The people I know who don’t like Jon (and specifically they don’t like aged up Jon) don’t like him because they feel he’s being pushed by the company to the point of other Super-characters being forgotten and because they really don’t like Jay Nakamura.

Now, I haven’t read the comics but the character of Jay seems like a bad idea, because the question “why doesn’t Superman just solve climate change” should, in my opinion, never be textual. It’s like the question “why doesn’t Batman just kill the Joker”, the answer is explicitly meta-textual, in this case it’s “because editorial wants the Joker alive because he’s popular”. Trying to ask that question textually just makes your heroes look bad and the answers aren’t satisfying. Having a character whose whole deal is asking those questions bogs down the story.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I just caught up with the newest Swamp Thing run. Only one more to go for this series, coming at the end of this month. Which makes me a little uneasy, because this has by far been the best product DC has put out in the past year-and-a-half.

Also, that team also managed to simultaneously make it a better GL book than the latest actual GL title.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

Now, I haven’t read the comics but the character of Jay seems like a bad idea, because the question “why doesn’t Superman just solve climate change” should, in my opinion, never be textual. It’s like the question “why doesn’t Batman just kill the Joker”, the answer is explicitly meta-textual, in this case it’s “because editorial wants the Joker alive because he’s popular”. Trying to ask that question textually just makes your heroes look bad and the answers aren’t satisfying. Having a character whose whole deal is asking those questions bogs down the story.

It's true. Reggie Hudlin's Black Panther tried "we have a cure for cancer" but inexplicably also did the "but we don't share it with outsiders" which while just trying to give Wakanda as a country a big flex with their science also just made them colossal dicks because every reader probably had been or knew somebody who had to deal with cancer. It was just a net loss.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dawgstar posted:

It's true. Reggie Hudlin's Black Panther tried "we have a cure for cancer" but inexplicably also did the "but we don't share it with outsiders" which while just trying to give Wakanda as a country a big flex with their science also just made them colossal dicks because every reader probably had been or knew somebody who had to deal with cancer. It was just a net loss.

and black panther was there when captain marvel was dying of cancer

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

bobkatt013 posted:

and black panther was there when captain marvel was dying of cancer

Jesus Christ lol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't they retcon that into like, space cancer or something?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

What really baffles me is that an editor thought that’d be fine to publish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sometime in the early 90’s I remember a storyline of Superman being thrown back to WWII and encountering a concentration camp. I’m doing a small comic nostalgia trip and would like to read that storyline again. Does anyone remember when and where this was published?