Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Can someone help me remember a game? All I recall from the video I saw was a hallway, the character having a flashlight, and then lights and weird poo poo happening in it. It was a first person perspective game, I think it was wondering about a detective searching an abandoned house and there were aliens? I think there was a scene where they were looking upwards at a staircase in front of them and then bright lights started shining through the walls and windows while poo poo flew around.

The trailers/gameplay I'm thinking of were on YouTube, and it was someone in the last 8 years or so. Maybe 5?

I'm 95% sure it was a PC game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

Light Gun Man posted:

this is fuckin amazing holy poo poo

well at least i helped someone <3

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Can someone help me remember a game? All I recall from the video I saw was a hallway, the character having a flashlight, and then lights and weird poo poo happening in it. It was a first person perspective game, I think it was wondering about a detective searching an abandoned house and there were aliens? I think there was a scene where they were looking upwards at a staircase in front of them and then bright lights started shining through the walls and windows while poo poo flew around.

The trailers/gameplay I'm thinking of were on YouTube, and it was someone in the last 8 years or so. Maybe 5?

I'm 95% sure it was a PC game.

They are Here, possibly?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

wb posted:

well at least i helped someone <3
I downloaded the installer after finding out about it through you. Haven't done anything with it yet, but I'll mess around with it eventually.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Nope, but that looks neat!

I think I remember something about it being during or after Roswell though... Like, timeline wise it took place back around the first crash. I might be mixing up a game or two, but I think that's right...

Alright, found it. It's apparently started out as The Peterson Case and was renamed One Upon A Time In Roswell, and it's still tba. I doubt it's coming out :saddowns:

Looks neat though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 13, 2022

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Caufman posted:

I have a very vague memory of playing a zombie/post-apocalyptic game about 10-15 years ago. The only thing I really remember about it was that the art style resembles the Madness Combat series, but it's not any Madness Combat game. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all I can remember. It's a longshot, but does that ring anyone else's bells?

This might be a long shot but possibly Survival Crisis Z?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol73B6siNUY

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Caufman posted:

I have a very vague memory of playing a zombie/post-apocalyptic game about 10-15 years ago. The only thing I really remember about it was that the art style resembles the Madness Combat series, but it's not any Madness Combat game. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all I can remember. It's a longshot, but does that ring anyone else's bells?

Was it boxhead: more rooms ?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looking for a recent game (a few years ago possibly, or maybe still in EA?), FPP, grotesque body-horror, had stuff like a TV that'd suddenly sprout mutated arms and legs and start chasing you around. Very distinctive, but I can't remember the title for the life of me.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

homewrecker posted:

This might be a long shot but possibly Survival Crisis Z?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol73B6siNUY

It's this. How did you get this from my stupidly meager and frankly inaccurate description? You're a wizard, and you can wreck my home any time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pierzak posted:

Looking for a recent game (a few years ago possibly, or maybe still in EA?), FPP, grotesque body-horror, had stuff like a TV that'd suddenly sprout mutated arms and legs and start chasing you around. Very distinctive, but I can't remember the title for the life of me.

Golden Light?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Looking for a game with a mushroom harvesting bench. 3d, released sometime in the oughties, probably an mmo? The bench in question is a rotten log supported kinda like a sawhorse bench. You place it, wait for some amount of time, then harvest the mushrooms. I don't recall what the purpose of the mushrooms were for. There's a chance this old memory is wrong in that it could've just been house decoration.

Monster Hunter Freedom 2 / Freedom Unite had something like this, though not super certain on the sawhorse

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Golden Light?

Yes, thanks!

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Here's one I've been trying to remember from my Commodore 64 days.

It was a side-scrolling platformer where you play as a robed figure. I remember it being less of a fighting game and more of a puzzle game because each type of monster in the game could only be killed by one specific magic type, and the control scheme for the magic was unique for the time. You had to cycle through the spell names using the function keys, hold down your joystick button to make the spell projectile appear -- and then you could control the flight of the spell on your screen with the joystick at the expense of being able to move your character.

So, you'd explore, climb stuff, jump in pits, and hope to eventually find the treasure chest that contained whatever new spell you needed to be able to erase what-ever newly discovered creature was currently halting your forward progress.

I remember always being impressed by the size of the game world (There were about 12-15 linked screens vertically, and about 30-35 linked screens horizontally). I also recall that the character sprites, while not particularly detailed, were all much larger than other games I recall coming out during that era. To the point where if you encountered a dragon, that dragon would occupy about 1/4 of the real estate on the screen.

The only other things I vaguely recall were that I think it had a one word name, and I think it was released via a foreign publisher. Not one of the normal brands that was churning out stuff in the US.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It'd be pretty funny if you're thinking of Wizard (1984)

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I was thinking Magic Madness, but it turns out that only moves horizontally, but I'll post it just in case.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

FFT posted:

It'd be pretty funny if you're thinking of Wizard (1984)

No, but I do recall playing a fair bit of Wizard as well. Those level load in sounds are permanently embedded in my memory.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Dip Viscous posted:

I was thinking Magic Madness, but it turns out that only moves horizontally, but I'll post it just in case.

Similar. But the sprites are too small, the level terrain is too detailed, and the opponents appear to be humanoid rather than fantasy/mythology based creatures.

I remember the winged serpents being particularly miserable to dodge due to their high mobility and smaller size.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

I finally remembered.

1985, Rabbit Software (London) -- the game was Doriath.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPMYlXvsaJM

What was with all the games of that era (by which I mean like 1980-1995) using In the Hall of the Mountain King, anyway? Like sure, it was old enough to be free to use, but drat. A poo poo-ton of other music was too!

stringless fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 15, 2022

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've never played Wizard before but that game looks awesome.

Also I keep seeing the Doriath player character as a guy in a hooded cloak moonwalking instead of a guy in a wizard hat.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 15, 2022

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
It was easy to play on one sound channel?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
repeated below

IMJack fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 29, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FFT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPMYlXvsaJM

What was with all the games of that era (by which I mean like 1980-1995) using In the Hall of the Mountain King, anyway? Like sure, it was old enough to be free to use, but drat. A poo poo-ton of other music was too!

Outside of being public domain, it meant less time having to compose the music at a time when a lot of video games were made by small teams that were probably devoid of people who would normally write tunes. The songs were also recognizable with limited audio hardware, where any original compositions would just be random boops and bleeps to most people at the time.

I remember listening to a compilation of arcade music a decade ago and there were a lot of public domain songs and jingles. One of the sole exceptions was Haunted Castle, an early Castlevania game.

As a bonus here's the game that first introduced me to In the Hall of the Mountain King, the first Tiny Toons title for the Game Boy (starts at 9:35).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4XzeUXVWeY&t=575s

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 15, 2022

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Just thought of a Flash game. Sidescroller, I remember it being a beat 'em up but it maybe have been an endless arena type thing. Simple art style, characters with no arms and floating hands. The standout feature was that instead of just hitting a button to attack, you used mouse movement to directly control your weapon/fists. One of the melee weapons was an entire urinal that would shatter after several hits.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

Just thought of a Flash game. Sidescroller, I remember it being a beat 'em up but it maybe have been an endless arena type thing. Simple art style, characters with no arms and floating hands. The standout feature was that instead of just hitting a button to attack, you used mouse movement to directly control your weapon/fists. One of the melee weapons was an entire urinal that would shatter after several hits.

Oh drat, I remember this, but the name's completely gone. I think it was an entire series. The windup for attacks came flooding back to my fingers when you mentioned the urinal.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In the Hall of the Mountain King is a badass song that just works as kind of spooky fantasy music. It shows up in the Sonic the Hedgehog animated series theme song.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

al-azad posted:

In the Hall of the Mountain King is a badass song that just works as kind of spooky fantasy music. It shows up in the Sonic the Hedgehog animated series theme song.

I think the fact that it was used in one of the most memorable scenes in Fantasia helped it to really stick around in the general public too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

timp posted:

I think the fact that it was used in one of the most memorable scenes in Fantasia helped it to really stick around in the general public too

I think you're thinking of Night on Bald Mountain

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well they were both in Frontier: Elite 2

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

al-azad posted:

The Sonic theme song mashed it up with Flight of the Bumblebee and it was weirdly great.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think you're thinking of Night on Bald Mountain

Oh poo poo you’re right

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Dip Viscous posted:

One of the old Madness games, perhaps?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Catpain Slack posted:

One of the old Madness games, perhaps?

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/118826

Yeah, that's the one.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

poo poo, yes, thank you!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
There was a game back in the 90s that was a top-down spaceflight game that I had a demo of. It was NOT Escape Velocity or Ares, but it certainly had the same look as EV with your ship in the middle spinning around and fighting other ships. I remember your ship had various systems that could be damaged and if your sensors started taking damage the screen started filling with static. I have no idea if it had a story, I just remember flying around finding other ships to fight.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Could it have been Lunatic Fringe, the After Dark screen saver? Don't remember if it had systems vs shields/hp

/e: oh it's totally Lunatic Fringe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZglGbYGRtI

stringless fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 16, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Could also be an early version of Transcendence; that was around in the 90s.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

FFT posted:

Could it have been Lunatic Fringe, the After Dark screen saver? Don't remember if it had systems vs shields/hp

/e: oh it's totally Lunatic Fringe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZglGbYGRtI

Wow, that's almost definitely it. My memory has the player ship being a more elongated, white rocket ship thing but the sensor damage effect and general look of the graphics is 100% what I remember.

EDIT: It was not Lunatic Fringe, though that definitely put me onto the right path. It was Space Madness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZNc0kCA59s

Polaron fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 17, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Could also be an early version of Transcendence; that was around in the 90s.

Does anyone have a source for the game in ToxicFrog's AV? It was a card game with that style. I remember the word 'prism' a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kchama posted:

Does anyone have a source for the game in ToxicFrog's AV? It was a card game with that style. I remember the word 'prism' a lot.

Gauntlet: The Third Encounter