Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

someone awful. posted:

if it's the one i'm thinking of, it's made by a waterphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dinyOvO2EEo

this is it, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Jyrraeth posted:

I've had "fam" used in place of "bro" for me, for the only one that feels natural enough. I am a cislady who only cares for the other women in my man dominated industry.

"Fam" and "family" were for so long code between my queer friends and I, back when we lived in a time and place where being gay was absolutely not okay, When someone calls me "fam" I instinctively feel an urge to just let them know, oh I'm not gay.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My uncle would just call everyone cousin and it worked really well

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there any really good and recent research on the cause of increasing obesity rates in the US and other western nations?

I'm specifically looking for some insight on why obesity rose over 30% from 2000 to 2020 in the US. It's easy to assume a cause for increased obesity when comparing like 1940 to 2022 because nearly everything is different now, but not so much when comparing 2000 to now. Average time spent on fitness has held steady, fast food offerings have remained largely the same, and even occupational calorie expenditure seems to be roughly the same from the limited research I've been able to find myself.

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 10, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is there any really good and recent research on the cause of increasing obesity rates in the US and other western nations?

I'm specifically looking for some insight on why obesity rose over 30% from 2000 to 2020 in the US. It's easy to cause for increased obesity when comparing like 1940 to 2022 because nearly everything is different now, but not so much when comparing 2000 to now. Average time spent on fitness has held steady, fast food offerings have remained largely the same, and even occupational calorie expenditure seems to be roughly the same from the limited research I've been able to find myself.

There was a series of blog posts about a year ago that looked at the evidence for environmental contaminant-driven obesity, and one of the big things they discussed was how to explain recent increases in the trend. The conclusion is here with links to the other parts.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

ultrafilter posted:

There was a series of blog posts about a year ago that looked at the evidence for environmental contaminant-driven obesity, and one of the big things they discussed was how to explain recent increases in the trend. The conclusion is here with links to the other parts.

Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Additionally, the WHO changed their definition of obese at some point, which would have an impact on the rates of obesity of you're using their definition.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I have an ID card at work that I CANNOT punch a hole in. I sometimes need to swipe it, sometimes tap it to a reader, and sometimes present it to a security guard. Can anyone recommend some kind of clamp I could attach to it that would hold it securely? I'm tired of pulling it out of my wallet and want to put it on a lanyard or a belt clip or something.

Thanks goons!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

CaptainJuan posted:

I'm tired of pulling it out of my wallet and want to put it on a lanyard or a belt clip or something.
To confirm, a plastic nametag holder wouldn't work because taking it out of the plastic to swipe it would defeat the purpose? (I keep an ID I only need to present and tap in one on a lanyard.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CaptainJuan posted:

I have an ID card at work that I CANNOT punch a hole in. I sometimes need to swipe it, sometimes tap it to a reader, and sometimes present it to a security guard. Can anyone recommend some kind of clamp I could attach to it that would hold it securely? I'm tired of pulling it out of my wallet and want to put it on a lanyard or a belt clip or something.

Thanks goons!

You could try a gripper like this one: https://amazon.com/Gripper-Standard-Thickness-ID-Individually/dp/B004XWD53K. It seems to have good reviews but personally I'd watch out for the card falling out for a while until you are sure you can trust it long-term.

I might be more inclined to trust a clamp-type like this: https://www.kyledesigns.com/retractable-proximity-card-clamp-badge-holders/ that uses pressure from a lever to hold the clamp securely closed. That's just from a quick googling though.

EDIT: VVV I like that a lot better! VVVV

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 11, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

CaptainJuan posted:

Thanks goons!

Badge holders like these are meant for exactly that

https://www.idstronghold.com/collections/badgeholders

I'm sure there are other brands, these are the kind we have at my work and they're pretty well made

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

what companies make REALLY firm pillows? the ones i've seen at target that say extra firm, really aren't.

From a few days ago, but I have a buckwheat husk pillow and they are firm as gently caress; it's like sleeping on a beanbag filled with concrete pellets. The one I have is a Beans72, but there are other brands out there.

I will warn you that I have trouble getting comfortable on normal pillows now that I'm used to I've if these, and they're difficult to travel with because they weigh like eight pounds.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

My meditation cushion is filled with buckwheat hulls, never even occurred to me you could use those for a pillow.

I can see the appeal though, once you're settled in it keeps its shape really well.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Is buying a soda stream economical? I'm tempted to get one because I drink a lot of seltzer water but the Co2 replacements being pricey as gently caress is really off putting. Like, the device alone is a years worth of seltzer $$$. But...making my own flavors and being able to have it on hand/less waste sounds pretty nice as well.

My boss got one from a thrift store and brought it in for me to try. Aside from the Palestinian slave labor, I don't like it for a few of reasons:

*It goes flat very quickly, like make sure you drink it within an hour or two.
*The flavors are bad. I'm using the SodaStream first part ones, and they don't taste very good (I'm normally a "cheapest generic store brand" drinker)
*The flavors are really uneven. You can't shake it up, and I've tried storing it upside down for awhile after adding the flavors, but it's always like a shitload of flavor followed by almost no flavor.
*It's substantially more work for not that much savings. This may have changed now, but when I did the math a few years ago, it was less than 10% savings.

I think SodaStream is probably good if you're okay with drinking a lot of unflavored carbonated water.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Mine stay carbonated for several days in the refrigerator and I mix them by swirling

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The soda flavors are pretty bad but you can just get some Italian soda syrup or use actual fruit

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If it's just carbonated water you want, no reason to pay extra for a sodastream.

We got an "Aqvia" and it's pretty great for drinking carbonated water - way cheaper than buying a flat of bubbly every week or two. We get two canisters of gas at a time. They last a month or two each with 2 people in the household. We trade them for a fresh canister and a fee at the local hardware store - but I'm not sure if that's something one can do everywhere.

Downside - the stand is white plastic and it gets dusty/greasy in the kitchen. The bottles are plastic too but they can survive a drop or two, so it isn't super crap.

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are much cheaper options than Sodastream afaik, and also Sodastream is located in a fascist apartheid state that abuses the poo poo out of Palestinian wage slaves.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Ham Equity posted:

I will warn you that I have trouble getting comfortable on normal pillows now that I'm used to I've if these, and they're difficult to travel with because they weigh like eight pounds.

I've been using a buckwheat pillow for years. If it ever manages to die, I will definitely buy another. It does make using hotel pillows that much worse though.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
wrong thread

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 12, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

been seeing a lot of ads for better help. online therapy stuff. sounds like a good idea on the surface, connecting people to mental health services online who may not otherwise be able to depending on geography or living situation. the mental health professionals presumably can make their own hours and have a much broader base of clients to draw from. a win win for everyone.

...so what's the grift here? are they secretly the worst company in the world? do they compensate their workers poorly? is the CEO a sex pest?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kalel posted:

...so what's the grift here? are they secretly the worst company in the world? do they compensate their workers poorly? is the CEO a sex pest?

i dont know anything about their ceo or working conditions but i do know that instead of paying per individual therapy sessions you pay for a monthly "subscription package" and they do not take insurance. also from what i've heard they don't actually check the credentials of the therapists they hire.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Like a lot of gig economy jobs, there isn't as much in the way of vetting or controls for the employees. I've seen stories floating around of people having terrible experiences although it's all anecdotal. I doubt it pays as well either which is going to have some effect on what therapists choose that path.

I think it has a place for people who have a mental illness or disability that makes it hard to get out of the house or maintain a regular schedule, even if it isn't a perfect solution.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

I think it has a place for people who have a mental illness or disability that makes it hard to get out of the house or maintain a regular schedule, even if it isn't a perfect solution.

quite a lot of psychology and psychiatry practices switched to zoom sessions (or similar services) during the pandemic and a lot of therapists are still doing that.

obviously thats not universal but i think at this point its common enough that i dont think most people should need to use a site like betterhelp just to get their therapy over the internet instead of in person. i do online therapy myself, organized through my health insurance company, it's just a video call instead of going to an office. no gig economy startup tech bullshit involved at all, just regular old insurance bullshit!

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 13, 2022

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm under the impression that betterhelp is just Uber for therapy, with the same implications and problems that that brings, ie you might get a nice air conditioned ride to the airport with complimentary bottled water or you might get kidnapped by sex traffickers. Except the therapy version of that.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
The "scam" is that they've been pushing services like this to companies, who then offer it to their employees as some kind of pandemic perk.

This of course confuses the whole issue of who the customer/client/patient is, and I'm sure as gently caress not going to tell my deepest darkest secrets to a party time psychologist who may or may not be obliged to keep that stuff from my boss.

And if I'd see a therapist, it's going to be someone i choose, not the first available one from the online pool who randomly gets assigned to me

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, if I want to do a basic caulking job, I just 1) Toothpaste the caulk across whatever crack I am closing up, and 2) Use my hand to spread it so it's not a long circular lump string, right? No need for an actual caulk gun, that's for more in depth and specialized jobs, right? I am not going to paint it, I checked on that part.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, if I want to do a basic caulking job, I just 1) Toothpaste the caulk across whatever crack I am closing up, and 2) Use my hand to spread it so it's not a long circular lump string, right? No need for an actual caulk gun, that's for more in depth and specialized jobs, right? I am not going to paint it, I checked on that part.

Practice first. Use less than you think you need, you can always add more later. It's really sticky if it's silicone, use a rubber/nitrile glove. Designate a spreading finger and only use that one, lest you end up gluing yourself. Wet your fingertip and kind of roll your finger as you slide it along the crack to avoid streaking. Have a rag handy. Don't tidy the edges too soon or you'll risk messing up the part you don't want messed up. A razor scraper is good for cleaning off the excess once it's dried a bit.

Source: I have to do this about twice a year because somebody did a rather poo poo tiling job in our bathroom and it eats caulk

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Cornwind Evil posted:

.5) prep the space by pulling out the old caulk, scraping the crack and maybe hitting it with some bleach or vinegar if it's a bathroom and letting that dry out.

1) Put painters tape on either side of the crack

2) squeeze a bead into the crack

3) Wet your finger (water, windex, w/e)

4) Swipe the bead with one finger into the crack and the pull the tape.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have a tube of caulk you will need a caulk gun to apply it, unless it’s one of those tiny tubes.

Even on small jobs I’d recommend a caulking gun because the bead comes out much more even when applying it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Caulking guns are universally poo poo but doing it sans gun is even more annoying for the reason stated above

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Caulking is pretty easy.

1. Lay down a narrow bead where you need it. Put down less than you think you’ll need.

2. Put a wet paper towel over your finger and run it along the bead to smooth it out.

3. Use the paper towel to wipe off any excess on the surface.

4. Use another wet paper towel to wipe the caulk off from the counter where you set the first paper towel.

5. Crap I didn’t retract the plunger on the caulk gun. Now there’s a puddle of caulk in the floor.

6. Use a wet paper towel to clean up the caulk from the floor.

7. How did I get caulk on my favorite t shirt wtf

Easy peasy!

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Caulking is pretty easy.

1. Lay down a narrow bead where you need it. Put down less than you think you’ll need.

2. Put a wet paper towel over your finger and run it along the bead to smooth it out.

3. Use the paper towel to wipe off any excess on the surface.

4. Use another wet paper towel to wipe the caulk off from the counter where you set the first paper towel.

5. Crap I didn’t retract the plunger on the caulk gun. Now there’s a puddle of caulk in the floor.

6. Use a wet paper towel to clean up the caulk from the floor.

7. How did I get caulk on my favorite t shirt wtf

Easy peasy!

Please stop doxxing me.

that wet paper towel technique is definitely useful

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

McCracAttack posted:

I'm from the armpit of the southern US and I wish everyone else would use "folks" and "y'all" more often. They are useful terms.

Came here to post this. I moved to the south 20 years ago, and incorporating "y'all" into my vocabulary has been such a boon. Works for singular, plural, any gender.

Prior to that, I used (and still do) the NY "yo". Eg., "Nice job, yo!" Guess YMMV if using that with Spanish -speaking folks, though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does anyone know who makes this cheap security camera? it just plugs into the light bulb socket, and you use some app to control it. I can't find any brand name

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

does anyone know who makes this cheap security camera? it just plugs into the light bulb socket, and you use some app to control it. I can't find any brand name

This seems like a prime example of cheap generic Chinese electronics being re-sold under a billion different made up brands.
I wouldn't install those apps on my phone if I were you.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah, there are adapters that screw into a light socket and give you an electrical outlet + light socket, then you can just buy a non-sketchy camera and plug it in like normal.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Came here to post this. I moved to the south 20 years ago, and incorporating "y'all" into my vocabulary has been such a boon. Works for singular, plural, any gender.

Prior to that, I used (and still do) the NY "yo". Eg., "Nice job, yo!" Guess YMMV if using that with Spanish -speaking folks, though.

I wish I could do this but coming from Canada and living in Western Europe, it would be a really weird affectation. Like trying on a British accent in North America.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cool thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Hey what is this? What is it supposed to be? Where did it come from? What does it mean when someone posts it?

I realize I'm years late in asking this. It never seems important enough for me to get clarification but I've seen it a thousand times now...