Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Collateral Damage posted:

And before anyone jumps down his throat, @mr_ian there is being sarcastic.

I'm invoking Poe's Law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

coolusername posted:

No, that's me :sun:

Ongoing reactions to the Tornado arrest are extremely reasonable.

:jihad:

:reject:

:tinfoil:

Bonus, "this is why blockchain is good but also why we need a mixer to hide all blockchain receipts":

:actually:

It gets better:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ons/ar-AA10rRHV

Clearly, this is just a tool. I mean....what's a tool to north korea, right? What's a couple nukes or so from North Korea pulling themselves up from other people's bootstraps?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

someone's sending sanctioned coins to high profile wallets, and those wallets are getting blacklisted

https://twitter.com/justinsuntron/status/1558397647165091840

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Good.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I will tell you my blockchain story. Yes, I touched the poop.

I've been using HoneyGain, which basically rewards you for participating in their content-delivery network. HoneyGain is not a crypto company in itself, but they do partner with one called JumpTask. Until recently, getting paid in JumpTask tokens gave you a +50% bonus (down to +10% now), so I figured it'd be worth the extra hoops I'd have to jump through to cash out.

Well, I recently reached $20 earnings, so I decided to cash out. If I had done like my friend and simply used PayPal, that would've involved requesting a withdrawal, getting it, and... done. But no, lured by the bonuses, I'd be entering crypto-land! So, instead of landing in my Paypal account, the withdrawal came to my JumpTask account, instead. From there, I transferred it into the Metamask wallet, then went to "PancakeSwap" to trade the $JMPT tokens to something I could transfer to a crypto off-ramp. I chose the Chainlink token, or $LINK. But, there was a problem: I needed to pay gas nofees in $BNB. Could I swap my $JMPT for the needed $BNB? No, it's not possible to say "convert my $JMPT to $BNB and deduce the gas fees in $BNB from the resulting amount before giving the rest to me". I needed $BNB for gas if I wanted to convert my tokens to anything, including $BNB. So, I made a thread on a cryptocurrency forum about my situation (I was not about to spend $actualmoney on this experiment), and someone graciously offered to send me a bit of $BNB for the gas fees. I got the $BNB, and converted my $JMPT tokens to $LINK. I then went to my wallet and sent the $LINK to my exchange. I had just sent a small amount of $LINK to this exchange address, and it had worked, so I was triple platinum sure that I had the correct address, and confidently confirmed the transfer in my wallet.

After waiting for about twenty minutes, with no email from the exchange (they email you once when there is a pending transfer, and another time when it has been confirmed), and with the BscScan blockchain explorer showing hundreds of confirmations, already, I wrote to my thread on the crypto forum about the situation, asking what was going on. I got a few thorough explanations of "BEP-20" and "ERC-20" chains, and it became clear that I had sent the $LINK on a "BEP-20 chain", whereas the earlier, successful transfer had been on an "ERC-20 chain". I was also told that "in crypto, it's good to think about what you're doing for more than 3 seconds", and several posts suggesting I "should've googled" and exclaiming "it's not rocket science!". The funds, of course, were irrecoverably lost due to me not knowing that the same address that had worked before would not work now because it's "on a different chain". Yeah, not rocket science - rocket science actually makes sense.

Well, it was only a :20bux: experiment, but if this is the future of money, I'd rather live in the past.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its too early for this crap.

Also is being called honeygain trying to ape one another common browser extension called honey? which just offers discount/copupon codes to you, and they get data mining?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
All this honey gained and not a pot to put it in!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I've been using HoneyGain, which basically rewards you for participating in their content-delivery network. HoneyGain is not a crypto company in itself, but they do partner with one called JumpTask. Until recently, getting paid in JumpTask tokens gave you a +50% bonus (down to +10% now), so I figured it'd be worth the extra hoops I'd have to jump through to cash out.

Well, I recently reached $20 earnings, so I decided to cash out. If I had done like my friend and simply used PayPal, that would've involved requesting a withdrawal, getting it, and... done. But no, lured by the bonuses, I'd be entering crypto-land! So, instead of landing in my Paypal account, the withdrawal came to my JumpTask account, instead. From there, I transferred it into the Metamask wallet, then went to "PancakeSwap" to trade the $JMPT tokens to something I could transfer to a crypto off-ramp. I chose the Chainlink token, or $LINK. But, there was a problem: I needed to pay gas nofees in $BNB. Could I swap my $JMPT for the needed $BNB? No, it's not possible to say "convert my $JMPT to $BNB and deduce the gas fees in $BNB from the resulting amount before giving the rest to me". I needed $BNB for gas if I wanted to convert my tokens to anything, including $BNB. So, I made a thread on a cryptocurrency forum about my situation (I was not about to spend $actualmoney on this experiment), and someone graciously offered to send me a bit of $BNB for the gas fees. I got the $BNB, and converted my $JMPT tokens to $LINK. I then went to my wallet and sent the $LINK to my exchange. I had just sent a small amount of $LINK to this exchange address, and it had worked, so I was triple platinum sure that I had the correct address, and confidently confirmed the transfer in my wallet.

After waiting for about twenty minutes, with no email from the exchange (they email you once when there is a pending transfer, and another time when it has been confirmed), and with the BscScan blockchain explorer showing hundreds of confirmations, already, I wrote to my thread on the crypto forum about the situation, asking what was going on. I got a few thorough explanations of "BEP-20" and "ERC-20" chains, and it became clear that I had sent the $LINK on a "BEP-20 chain", whereas the earlier, successful transfer had been on an "ERC-20 chain". I was also told that "in crypto, it's good to think about what you're doing for more than 3 seconds", and several posts suggesting I "should've googled" and exclaiming "it's not rocket science!". The funds, of course, were irrecoverably lost due to me not knowing that the same address that had worked before would not work now because it's "on a different chain". Yeah, not rocket science - rocket science actually makes sense.

Well, it was only a :20bux: experiment, but if this is the future of money, I'd rather live in the past.

So where did the tokens go?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

When you send something to the wrong address, its like dropping it into a locked box that no one has the key for. As far as the code is concerned, its a perfectly valid transaction - the fact no one can access it isnt relevant.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

drk posted:

When you send something to the wrong address, its like dropping it into a locked box that no one has the key for. As far as the code is concerned, its a perfectly valid transaction - the fact no one can access it isnt relevant.

Yup, it's safely stored in a safe deposit box, which is conveniently located in a bank somewhere in a galaxy somewhere. It might even be one of the ones we just saw for the first time with the JWST, if we're lucky. Of course, the odds that a key has ever been made for that safe deposit box are astronomically low. But at least you know that no one else will get it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ups_rail posted:

Exchanges will let you request they send the token back, but because it's a manual process and to disincentivize fuckups, they'll charge whatever they want for recovery. Sometimes it can be like $500-$5000+ 20% of the recovered amount and so on. So for small accounts you'd be told to gently caress off.

In short, crypto being crypto.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So there isnt a crypto network or chain that has a "must be a real address thing"

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

How the gently caress do you make less money in the public sector?

that's like, the one tradeoff to Govt work.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Sometimes a man has to stand up and say "No, Mr Brandon, this job is too easy and I get too much time off and it pays too much, it's time for me to return to the private sector where I can be treated badly and paid less, because that is what a MAN does"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ups_rail posted:

So there isnt a crypto network or chain that has a "must be a real address thing"

More that every conceivable address is an equally real address, just 99.99999999% of them nobody has ever made a key to the front door.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ups_rail posted:

The whole "security" of crypto is that whole it's easy to identify pubic address from private ones, it's supposed to be impossible to go the other way. So really other than basic error checking (right length, right characters) there is no way to identify that the given address is correct, valid, or in use.

Of course you can use a public address's history to infer if it's real but all that means it's someone tried and like if s second goon saw the first goons mistake they wouldn't know if it was a "good" transaction

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 13, 2022

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
lol, tornado cash idiocy continues. https://twitter.com/econoar/status/1558269571231952897?t=QDmlmgvJOL_4hnK0_Fk5LA&s=19

replies are as expected:

but muh free speech (ignoring the money laundering)

https://twitter.com/carswell585/status/1558275419995906049?t=7ZSPZAf6xbDBnGAQMqxzGg&s=19

but it's just code!

https://twitter.com/roxk___/status/1558270300583632896?t=-fjM2pIzYY5Senoz4dhL1w&s=19

https://twitter.com/pastrylabs/status/1558271431355633664?t=h_5djjHlFaTsL_fe5R6ysg&s=19

but her weapons! https://twitter.com/dodlnaut/status/1558397476792459264?t=I088BFfFn337qS8g31OQPQ&s=19

:magical: :allears:

edit: what in the gently caress:

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1558446341562441734?t=WPaiq3B3AY9hGEj09OVSXw&s=19

and

https://twitter.com/mr_ian/status/1558176713229615108?t=NDo4j21i7js3tchY4_DEBw&s=19

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 13, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is making a website a crime now? It's just code!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The last two tweets are parody, just FYI.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
All financial institutions are legally required to take ID info and measures to prevent money laundering. Of course a website whose sole advertised purpose is “launder money fast and easy” would be shut down. Duh. No poo poo.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
But think of all of the use cases, which are all just problems inherent to putting a currency on a public blockchain!!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Oh, so now I can be arrested for walking up to a bank teller and saying "I have a gun, put $500,000 in unmarked nonconsecutive 20s in a bag?" So much for free speech

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

NYT pitchbot operates on the same tier of greatness as dril and getfiscal, you should study their corpus

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Victory Lap posted:

Sometimes a man has to stand up and say "No, Mr Brandon, this job is too easy and I get too much time off and it pays too much, it's time for me to return to the private sector where I can be treated badly and paid less, because that is what a MAN does"

First one to the bottom wins!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

more falafel please posted:

Oh, so now I can be arrested for walking up to a bank teller and saying "I have a gun, put $500,000 in unmarked nonconsecutive 20s in a bag?" So much for free speech

Actually, the 2A says you cant make guns illegal, therefore it is not possible to commit a crime with a gun

checkmate, libs :patriot:

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Also is being called honeygain trying to ape one another common browser extension called honey?

No relation between the two, AFAIK.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I completely agree with that Eric guy. Do Kwan and anyone else involved with crypto should be punished just as harshly as the tornado folks.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

NYT pitchbot operates on the same tier of greatness as dril and getfiscal, you should study their corpus

It's rate that you get to say this, but the CBC Pitchbot is on their tier as well

(hey wait a minute, getfiscal is Canadian...)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am a leader of a small religious sect that dictates we communicate by wildly shooting bullets in all directions in crowded places and I am starting to have concerns about my 1st and 2nd amendment rights.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

My dude/ette, you can get points for using Bing to search for stuff and then buy real-world items like Starbucks coffee or get coupons (and more). Microsoft Rewards are real, and crypto rewards aren't. You played yourself.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Paladinus posted:

The last two tweets are parody, just FYI.

Crypto is stupid enough for it to be hard to identify for me on those two, really.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

PITY BONER posted:

My dude/ette, you can get points for using Bing to search for stuff and then buy real-world items like Starbucks coffee or get coupons (and more). Microsoft Rewards are real, and crypto rewards aren't. You played yourself.

HoneyGain itself is "real", as my friend who started at the same time as I did had no trouble withdrawing his :20bux: to Paypal, which is what I will also do in the future.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

And before anyone jumps down his throat, @mr_ian there is being sarcastic.

it is a realistic situation

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I never before thought about the inability to reject a transaction to your wallet.

The true future of money.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

gbut posted:

I never before thought about the inability to reject a transaction to your wallet.

The true future of money.

might not even be your choice. If the blockchain says it never happened, kiss your garden gnome goodbye

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Hey, look at that folks!

Even this influencer twitter knows there's some problems with bitboy.
https://twitter.com/DU09BTC/status/1558519164440043520

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Someone on another forum was defending crypto along the lines of "once all the banks are on the blockchain", which reminded me of this evergreen tweet

https://twitter.com/financialprotip/status/1486248150906150912?lang=en

Then when searching for that tweet, google auto-suggested "crypto becoming a millionaire" :v:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bobstar posted:

Someone on another forum was defending crypto along the lines of "once all the banks are on the blockchain", which reminded me of this evergreen tweet

https://twitter.com/financialprotip/status/1486248150906150912?lang=en

Then when searching for that tweet, google auto-suggested "crypto becoming a millionaire" :v:

I agree and have a gun. Just waiting for the fall of society

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't think I can name even one actual brick and mortal business using blockchain for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd be hard pressed to even name an online business that accepts crypto.