Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Just say the English word, you nerds

Whirlybird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

That spiral pussy got me acting strange

Did you know ducks do actually have spiral pussies and corkscrew cocks, and

quote:

:wotwot:

sonova bitch, they did know...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

flavor.flv posted:

Just say the English word, you nerds

Whirlybird

People assume the etymology of that is whirly + bird but it's actually a 18th century word from the German verbleib 'whereabouts' + Proto-Germanic erd 'land, country, region' and the correct pronunciation should be "verleeb-ird'

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay that one was a total lie but the helicopter post was real

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I ride up in my pterohelico

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

I ride up in my pterohelico

Honestly a pterahelix is a much cooler name for them anyway

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It sounds vaguely like a Dinotopia thing

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

It sounds vaguely like a Dinotopia thing

Weird, I'm getting Boss Baby vibes...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So in English it's screw-wing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

:stare: "You're a screwing pilot?"

:smug: "Yup"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Join the army, get hundreds of hours of training in screw-wing, get your commercial screw-wing license when you get out, and have a fulfilling and challenging career slinging loads

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Phy posted:

Join the army, get hundreds of hours of training in screw-wing, get your commercial screw-wing license when you get out, and have a fulfilling and challenging career slinging loads

I thought it was mostly the wives that got an education in screwing when their husbands joined the Army.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Captain Monkey posted:

I thought it was mostly the wives that got an education in screwing when their husbands joined the Army.

What kind of non-standard army recruits people old enough to be married

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think the general cliche is that they get married once they're in the army, by women that either weren't prepared for, or were actively counting on, an absent husband with reliable pay deposits.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think the general cliche is that they get married once they're in the army, by women that either weren't prepared for, or were actively counting on, an absent husband with reliable pay deposits.

while their wives collect other deposits

hey-ooooo

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I grew up in an rural area where all the county road names go down to fractional precision in terms of distance from the south/west county border (e.g. 700N is 0.7 miles up from the border), and it took me way too long to realize that wasn't just the standard everywhere*. I didn't figure out the Eight Mile title until after college because I'd never noticed that naming convention for mile roads before.

*which it should be, because it's the most useful :colbert:

Coming from the other end of this, concepts like "caring about a county border" and "Unincorporated land in a state" make absolutely no sense to my Massachusetts brain. I just can't... process, mentally, land not being part of one town or another.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Speculum is Latin for Mirror from which the German word Spiegel derives. This caused me to realise that "Der Spiegel" is just "The Mirror" in German. Also simultaneously to realise why a newspaper would be called The Mirror in the first place, I.e. it reflects current affairs.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Prurient Squid posted:

Speculum is Latin for Mirror from which the German word Spiegel derives. This caused me to realise that "Der Spiegel" is just "The Mirror" in German. Also simultaneously to realise why a newspaper would be called The Mirror in the first place, I.e. it reflects current affairs.
If you're familiar with Spekkio in Chrono Trigger and the way he evolves to look (and be) stronger and stronger as you fight him throughout the game, his name's from the Italian "specchio," and he reflects your party's growing might.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
specchio
Spiegel
espejo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Prurient Squid posted:

Your mind is going to be blown when you realize why Microsoft Windows is called Windows

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Gaius Marius posted:

Your mind is going to be blown when you realize why Microsoft Windows is called Windows

It's further away than this

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's called a keyboard because when you press a bunch of keys others get bored.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Captain Splendid posted:

It's further away than this

Win deez

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

They call it an oven cus you of in heat out eat the food.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Is the answer because Bill Gates is a dirty thief?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

No it's because he's a WIMP

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He named his company the Small Flaccid Corporation

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mikkkro$haft

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

for fucks sake posted:

No it's because he's a WIMP

touche

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The etymology of the word 'helicopter' isn't heli + copter but helico (Greek helikos "spiral", as in "helix") + pter (Greek pteron "wing", as in "pterodactyl")

The 'p' should be silent

e.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

This is a weird one, not even sure how it came up in my head. I was thinking about the word "epinephrine" and how epi means roughly "above" and neph or nephr is kidney, so above the kidneys. I was then like "well that's what adrenal means", but wouldn't that be "adrenaline...for the chemical". So epinephrine means the same exact thing as adrenaline. Because it is the same thing.

edit: I think it was because of treatment notes listed in a respiratory training scenario I was working with, where epinephrine was to be administered.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Check out Watertown, NY lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SLOSifl posted:

This is a weird one, not even sure how it came up in my head. I was thinking about the word "epinephrine" and how epi means roughly "above" and neph or nephr is kidney, so above the kidneys. I was then like "well that's what adrenal means", but wouldn't that be "adrenaline...for the chemical". So epinephrine means the same exact thing as adrenaline. Because it is the same thing.

edit: I think it was because of treatment notes listed in a respiratory training scenario I was working with, where epinephrine was to be administered.

Yeah I had an :aaaaa: at that about a decade ago. Around the same time I realised all the names for paracetamol derive from the INN name

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Two things: first, just because an animal's eyes look completely black doesn't mean they don't have separate sclera, iris and pupils.

Second, ferrets have loving weird ones

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cybernetic ferret!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I always appreciate it when my cockatiels sit in the sun and I can see their eyes as dark brown with a pupil rather than just black.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

flavor.flv posted:

Second, ferrets have loving weird ones

Not quite as weird looking as goats, toads, et cetera.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The name of the dog in Disney's "Old Yeller" has a double meaning:

quote:

the fur color yellow pronounced as "yeller", and the fact that its bark sounds more like a human yell.

I've never seen the film but I've seen it referenced a bunch everywhere :shrug:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Vulcans are just elves in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
they are called HVAC systems because they vacuum up hydrogen. Hydrogen Vacuums. HVAC. Huh.