Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MariusLecter posted:

Buddy, I got bad news about the soviet union for you

:thejoke: except its not a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
For all Mankind S3 end: where do we keep the ONLY COPY of a vital spare part for our only lander? Abord the ship in orbit ofc. Because if the lander gets damaged, it's probably happening in space and not on the surface of Mars. This wouldn't even be so infuriating if they didn't go out of their way many times during this season to repeat how they had plenty of spare stuff/space, to the point they are supposedly be able to carry the crews of two other spacecraft plus all the supplies needed for a 2 years flight.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Carthag Tuek posted:

theress like 50 scenes in chernobyl (hbo series) where somebody's boss tells them to go do a stupid thing & they do it because they dont want to get fired

that irritates me because its supposed to take place in the historic soviet union, not present time western world

I was reading a critique of the show from someone who had lived in the USSR and they actually said this was the most unrealistic part, threatening people to do the job or cover something up or whatever. Nobody made threats, everyone knew exactly what would happen if they didn't at least look like they had done what they were supposed to do, even if they knew it was a bad thing or would lead to disaster.

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Aug 13, 2022

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Just saw Predator 2 in my ongoing rewatch of the Predator franchise. My IIMM is that its pretty obvious the director and/or screenwriters really loved Aliens but didn't know how to construct scenes with the same impact. They basically redid Hudson's death scene with Bill Paxton on the subway and the APC scene where Gorman freezes up when Gary Busey tries to capture the predator, except neither one of those scenes works nearly as well as the scenes they were cribbed from. Still, the movie was better than I remembered it being and Danny Glover rules.

Also, realizing like 30 years after the fact where that sample from Ice Cube's The Predator came from was cool.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Carthag Tuek posted:

theress like 50 scenes in chernobyl (hbo series) where somebody's boss tells them to go do a stupid thing & they do it because they dont want to get fired

One of the things the movie gets wrong is that big scene where they're asking for volunteers to go down and drain the water from beneath the reactor. It's very stirring, explaining how these guys volunteered to sacrifice themselves. Except in reality those three guys were just the three guys on duty at the time and they got told "go down and drain the water" and they said "okay."

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Phanatic posted:

One of the things the movie gets wrong is that big scene where they're asking for volunteers to go down and drain the water from beneath the reactor. It's very stirring, explaining how these guys volunteered to sacrifice themselves. Except in reality those three guys were just the three guys on duty at the time and they got told "go down and drain the water" and they said "okay."

That episode was sick as hell though, fading to black with just the panicked breathing of the three guys over the credits.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I liked the naked coal man

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Biplane posted:

That episode was sick as hell though, fading to black with just the panicked breathing of the three guys over the credits.

God that was tense

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I used this gif from Superman IV: Quest for Peace recently:

Only after looking at the gif a few times did I realize that Nuclear Man is flying backwards. The irritation about this might be rational for most other movies, here it's irrational because it's a Cannon movie, and one I have seen dozens of times.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's an allegory for the destructive power of nuclear arms moving civilisation backwards.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Grendels Dad posted:

Only after looking at the gif a few times did I realize that Nuclear Man is flying backwards. The irritation about this might be rational for most other movies, here it's irrational because it's a Cannon movie, and one I have seen dozens of times.

these JCVD deepfakes are getting out of hand

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I was more put off by the lighting and shadows that superman is casting,like he was lit by a desk lamp from underneath.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Nobody made threats, everyone knew exactly what would happen if they didn't at least look like they had done what they were supposed to do, even if they knew it was a bad thing or would lead to disaster.

I can't parse this sentence. They didn't make threats but knew what would happen if they didn't do what they were told.... Like they were threatened?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

its shot from over superman's shoulder, and superman is speeding up a little bit as nuclear man approaches, giving the illusion that nuclear man is flying backwards
the landscape parallax is that drastic because i assume they're meant to be going very fast

it looks like they duffed the effect and it doesn't quite communicate this d/t the uncommon speed and scale involved, but he is going no more backwards than a car you are passing on the highway

edit: wait, no, it's- what is happening here

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ilmucche posted:

I can't parse this sentence. They didn't make threats but knew what would happen if they didn't do what they were told.... Like they were threatened?

Everyone knew how the system worked and so you didn't need to say "Do this or we'll shoot you." And they wouldn't shoot you, you'd just become ostracized from every social and professional and political connection.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

ilmucche posted:

It was a "it goes without saying" sort of thing. When I tell the kids not to bother mommy and daddy unless there's an emergency, I don't need to tell my kids what will happen if they knock on the bedroom door. They know without me having to explain it to them that if nothing is on fire before they knock, one of them will be afterwards. This of course leads inevitably to them deliberately setting one of the cats on fire so that they can interrupt our extremely valuable Alone Time to ask if it's okay to have soda without consequences. The parallel to Soviet-era Russia is obvious.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Phanatic posted:

Everyone knew how the system worked and so you didn't need to say "Do this or we'll shoot you." And they wouldn't shoot you, you'd just become ostracized from every social and professional and political connection.

How would you convey that succinctly in a TV show?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Peanut Butler posted:

its shot from over superman's shoulder, and superman is speeding up a little bit as nuclear man approaches, giving the illusion that nuclear man is flying backwards
the landscape parallax is that drastic because i assume they're meant to be going very fast

it looks like they duffed the effect and it doesn't quite communicate this d/t the uncommon speed and scale involved, but he is going no more backwards than a car you are passing on the highway

edit: wait, no, it's- what is happening here

A terrifically bad movie

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
My IIMM about Chernobyl is that it's trying to be critical of the evil communists but all I could think watching it was if that had happened in a capitalist country, every single one of the impending disasters they had to avert would have happened before we'd even finished arguing about who had to pay to fix the first one.

I also especially liked the slide at the end that said "the official soviet death toll, unchanged since 1989" lol, I wonder why that might be :allears:

Fuckin great show though :v:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

HopperUK posted:

How would you convey that succinctly in a TV show?

Workers are told to go drain the water in the reactor, supervisor has a severe look, workers all stare at them for a beat before nodding stoically, as if resigned to their fate, before walking away. Sounds of ragged breathing over credits.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Workers are told to go drain the water in the reactor, supervisor has a severe look, workers all stare at them for a beat before nodding stoically, as if resigned to their fate, before walking away. Sounds of ragged breathing over credits.

But that would mean we wouldn't get sombre Stellan Skarsgård monologuing about honor and duty????

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

My IIMM about Chernobyl is that it's trying to be critical of the evil communists but all I could think watching it was if that had happened in a capitalist country, every single one of the impending disasters they had to avert would have happened before we'd even finished arguing about who had to pay to fix the first one.

Yeah, Craig Mazin talks about that in the podcast about the show. Like, that's almost his exact words about the subject.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Pilchenstein posted:

I also especially liked the slide at the end that said "the official soviet death toll, unchanged since 1989" lol, I wonder why that might be :allears:

Fuckin great show though :v:

What? I need to watch this show. How many impending disasters did they write into the show?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Day Shift is a fairly fun action movie where Jamie Foxx hunts vampires for money. After the opening scene with him killing some vampires he goes home where it is shown that he has an elaborate set of locks on his door. Except because he lives in one of those converted motels right next to his door is a big picture window.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

muscles like this! posted:

Day Shift is a fairly fun action movie where Jamie Foxx hunts vampires for money. After the opening scene with him killing some vampires he goes home where it is shown that he has an elaborate set of locks on his door. Except because he lives in one of those converted motels right next to his door is a big picture window.

The original Evil Dead (the one that's supposed to be a pretty straightforward horror movie and not goofy slapstick) had a similar scene where Ash is trying desperately to keep a door closed but there's a giant (if I remember right, broken) window immediately next to the door that the monster outside could comfortably walk through. Gotta love that sort of thing.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The Watchmen series, season 1 finale: there's a literal countdown to a Bad Thing happening, shown on screen. It says five seconds - 10 seconds later nothing's happened.

Just don't show it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

What? I need to watch this show. How many impending disasters did they write into the show?

Just the ones that were looming. Draining the water to avert a colossal steam explosion is the most obvious one I can think of.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Is there any evidence that that was a thing people thought might happen? Like, ‘Oppenheimer’ could legitimately have a scene where someone starts screaming about how the Trinity test is going to initiate a cascade ignition of the atmosphere rendering the planet uninhabitable, because that’s a thing someone thought was possible. (I appreciate that might be apocryphal, but it’s prevalence ensures no one would be surprised if it appears in the film).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Is there any evidence that that was a thing people thought might happen? Like, ‘Oppenheimer’ could legitimately have a scene where someone starts screaming about how the Trinity test is going to initiate a cascade ignition of the atmosphere rendering the planet uninhabitable, because that’s a thing someone thought was possible. (I appreciate that might be apocryphal, but it’s prevalence ensures no one would be surprised if it appears in the film).

I admit I can't back it up with references right now but yes. They had to flood the area with water, and then they found that the core was melting its way down towards the water that was now pooled underneath.

Here's an AP News story from close to the time.

https://apnews.com/article/bfb4a0cf2479ee940116c74141e8a332

e: and here's an interview with a Trinity scientist saying that they briefly got nervous about igniting the atmosphere, but did the maths and found it probably wouldn't happen

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/bethe-teller-trinity-and-the-end-of-earth/

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HopperUK posted:

Just the ones that were looming. Draining the water to avert a colossal steam explosion is the most obvious one I can think of.

Ah okay. I was mostly it finding weird the other poster was trying to whatabout capitalist countries

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole Fukushima situation was about as much of a clusterfuck down to an evacuation that killed more people than if they had done nothing, last I heard.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole Fukushima situation was about as much of a clusterfuck down to an evacuation that killed more people than if they had done nothing, last I heard.

yeah, fukushima was a huge fuckup, and in many ways it was worse than chernobyl. in many ways it wasn't.

trying to whatabout nuclear disasters as a capitalism v communism thing is a real bad idea and there's a reason the industry itself tries to avoid doing it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Is there any evidence that that was a thing people thought might happen?

Yes, definitely. The series *hugely* overstates the violence of the explosion that could result (they quote a figure in the megaton range, when even if you instantly turned every bit of water in there into steam at the same temperature as the molten fuel, you'd get a few dozen tons of TNT equivalent IIRC from when I did the math; Mazin admitted in an AMA that he should have treated this number with far, which came from a complete crank of a physicist, with more skepticism than he did, and just said that the explosion would be "big" instead of attaching a number to it; there's just literally nowhere near that much thermal energy in the corium), but it could have been significant and the main worry is that it would damage the still-operating reactors at the facility, and they really did send three guys in to drain the water (they were all still alive as of a few years ago). Turns out that they might just as well have done nothing and their fears wouldn't have manifested, since there were plenty of holes that but it was a concern at the time.

Same thing with sending the miners to dig under the reactor so they could inject liquid nitrogen and prevent the core from melting through to the water table. Turns out this was also completely unnecessary, and that the concrete pad under the reactor was never breached at all. Ironically, given how much Chernobyl emphasizes the important of intellectual integrity, it contains a lot of urban myth and misinformation (it's still a great loving watch, though).

quote:

Like, ‘Oppenheimer’ could legitimately have a scene where someone starts screaming about how the Trinity test is going to initiate a cascade ignition of the atmosphere rendering the planet uninhabitable, because that’s a thing someone thought was possible. (I appreciate that might be apocryphal, but it’s prevalence ensures no one would be surprised if it appears in the film).

It's not apocryphal but it wasn't a serious concern. Teller first raised the possibility that it could set off a chain reaction fusing the nitrogen in the atmosphere in 1942, but Bethe quickly proved that it couldn't happen. Subsequently, when they were taking bets about how effective the Trinity test would be, Fermi jokingly placed a bet that it would ignite the atmosphere. Somewhere along the way, this filtered up to Arthur Compton, who was unaware of the Bethe calculations, flipped his wig, and made a big noise about it. Basically he made a big enough deal about it that a formal paper was released demonstrated that, as Bethe had shown in 1942, it can't happen, but this all eventually morphed into it having been a credible fear shared by the scientists on the program and it wasn't.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Aug 14, 2022

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

ilmucche posted:

Ah okay. I was mostly it finding weird the other poster was trying to whatabout capitalist countries
:allears:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Well, what about them?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For real laughs look up the origin of the term 'whataboutism' and what it replaced.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For real laughs look up the origin of the term 'whataboutism' and what it replaced.

what did it replace? i see it came from the english referring to IRA but not anything about an earlier term

e: oh i guess you mean the soviet phrase lol

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Aug 15, 2022

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I only watched the first episode of Sandman, never read the comic, so maybe it's explained...but it's a weird choice to keep the "present" of the show in our present of circa 2020 (at least from what I can see, it appears to be the present, not the time the comic was set in of late 80's/early 90's)

Dream is trapped in 1917, when Alex is around 12. We revisit him in the 1920's when Alex is a young man...and then finally the present when Alex should be, in theory, about 120...so up there in the top tier of oldest people ever (oldest verified was a 122 year old woman...and oldest man was only like 116). Yet he also looks barely 80, which would make sense from the comic since that takes place in the early 90's so Alex would be in his 80's.

I know that with Dream trapped the world went a little nutso...various sleep related illnesses. Some are sleeping forever, others can't sleep, some stuck in perpetual sleepwalking state...but no comment on if people are also suddenly living a lot longer. And we know that Dream was steadfast in his refusal to give Alex or his dad any sort of powers/immortality.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DrBouvenstein posted:

I only watched the first episode of Sandman, never read the comic, so maybe it's explained...but it's a weird choice to keep the "present" of the show in our present of circa 2020 (at least from what I can see, it appears to be the present, not the time the comic was set in of late 80's/early 90's)

Dream is trapped in 1917, when Alex is around 12. We revisit him in the 1920's when Alex is a young man...and then finally the present when Alex should be, in theory, about 120...so up there in the top tier of oldest people ever (oldest verified was a 122 year old woman...and oldest man was only like 116). Yet he also looks barely 80, which would make sense from the comic since that takes place in the early 90's so Alex would be in his 80's.

I know that with Dream trapped the world went a little nutso...various sleep related illnesses. Some are sleeping forever, others can't sleep, some stuck in perpetual sleepwalking state...but no comment on if people are also suddenly living a lot longer. And we know that Dream was steadfast in his refusal to give Alex or his dad any sort of powers/immortality.

Charles Dance or his son do mention in one of the first two episodes that possessing Dreams artifacts had slowed their aging, which is basically their excuse for not wanting to make it an 80s period piece in 2022, but they did at least put a line in justifying it narratively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

SiKboy posted:

Charles Dance or his son do mention in one of the first two episodes that possessing Dreams artifacts had slowed their aging, which is basically their excuse for not wanting to make it an 80s period piece in 2022, but they did at least put a line in justifying it narratively.

Yeah both him and his mom are unnaturally long lived because of Dream's tools. They talk about this in a later episode for sure.