Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they announced like last year or maybe earlier this year that we can't do year-round vaccines for the same reason we can't do them for the flu: constantly getting vaccinated every few months is in fact bad for your overall immune system

Don’t question how being exposed to similar antigens every time you go to the grocery store is in fact good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Centers For Democrat Crushing

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Coolness Averted posted:

I have the feeling it's gonna be just like the ppe and testing shortage, where the wh was approached directly with "We can spin up production if you just guarantee us the sales" and brandon opted to just wait and see instead

They're doing the dumb lib thing where they don't realize republicans aren't going to vote for democrats, so instead they take the most recently stated 'misgiving' at face value.

Aren't they actually just neocons now? I thought the Kochs bought NPR

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

just found out that my plans to buy an EV are going to get hosed by the Inflation reduction bill. they tied the credits to the cars being manufactured in America. literally the only thing they got accomplished on the past two years and it’s hosed me over. cannot wait for the democrats to get destroyed.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Retromancer posted:

just found out that my plans to buy an EV are going to get hosed by the Inflation reduction bill. they tied the credits to the cars being manufactured in America. literally the only thing they got accomplished on the past two years and it’s hosed me over. cannot wait for the democrats to get destroyed.

That really sucks, democrats are poo poo. But I bet you have a pretty good understanding of it and I haven't looked yet... but would, say, a 2015 chevy volt that I bought used a month ago get me some free money on taxes this year?

Actually, how is manufactured in America defined? I'm not sure what car you're talking about, but aren't most of the big brands (Toyota, Nissan, etc) building their US market cars here now anyway to save on shipping?

Edit: VV :lmao: VV

Forseti has issued a correction as of 17:43 on Aug 13, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i saw headlines saying no current evs qualify for the subsidy

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Real hurthling! posted:

:rubby:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

I haven't lived in the us for many years now so I'm a little out of the loop but why do people say "men who have sex with other men" now instead of homosexuals men or gay men?

E: I guess it just seems strange to me to use the MSM term in the same tweet you talk about stigmatizing LGBTQ. Isn't the whole point of saying MSM that they aren't necessarily LGBTQ?

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Aug 13, 2022

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I think it’s to not exclude bisexual men

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

IAMKOREA posted:

I haven't lived in the us for many years now so I'm a little out of the loop but why do people say "men who have sex with other men" now instead of homosexuals men or gay men?

E: I guess it just seems strange to me to use the MSM term in the same tweet you talk about stigmatizing LGBTQ. Isn't the whole point of saying MSM that they aren't necessarily LGBTQ?

because its sensitive to the idea that not just gay guys have sex with gay guys probably now that we are highly woke and not at all homophobic no sir.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i think i heard a thing about this, it's not that the cars need to be made in america, most of the cars we all buy are north american made already for tax reasons. isn't it to do with the battery chemistries, and specifically the cars must use a battery made with american components?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

also there are some men who identify as straight but have sex with men

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

also there are some men who identify as straight but have sex with men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd8vzIRQLLM

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Makes sense I guess, just weird suddenly hearing it all the time thanks to monkey pox but I guess it's a common term in medical literature

E: but has this entered the common language? Like instead of saying "my gay friend Brian" do people now say "my main man who has sex with other men Brian" or what

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Aug 13, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if your friend is gay you can call them that. this is a vague medical classification, not an erasure of gay men.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah you're just seeing it more often now because everyone sees medical things in the media more often now. but it's an medical (or i suppose sociological) term and is still used thusly (and only thusly)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
thrustly

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Real hurthling! posted:

https://twitter.com/madradhu/status/1558469927505240067

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pulcinella posted:

Speaking of Beto:
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1557879554777153547

Nice Polite Republics indeed. I don’t even particularly like Beto, but just lol at the idea that Beto’s problem is that he hasn’t smoothed out and sanded down all relatable personality traits. Also lol that anyone gives a poo poo about swearing these days, especially in the era of “shithole countries.”

Few things are more tiring to me than people who get upset about swearing these days

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a declaration that you have no real problems in your life

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Beto said gently caress or something awhile back after one of our mass shootings and got good press on it so thats his gimmick now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

beto has become the fuckboy he always was

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

IAMKOREA posted:

The sociological and public health reason is that behavior is different from identity.

Data for 2016 had that about 2% of men who identify as heterosexual had sex with another man over the past year. About 10% of women who identify as heterosexual had sex with another woman over the past year. At the same time, only 83% of gay men had sex with another man over the past year (3% only had sex with a woman, 14% did not have sex at all).

In terms of public health, behavior is more important than identity.

https://contexts.org/blog/sexual-orientation-versus-behavior-different-for-men-and-women/

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if your friend is gay you can call them that. this is a vague medical classification, not an erasure of gay men.

Can I still call the forums gay

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not if you mean it in a pejorative sense. that's passe.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

IAMKOREA posted:

Makes sense I guess, just weird suddenly hearing it all the time thanks to monkey pox but I guess it's a common term in medical literature

E: but has this entered the common language? Like instead of saying "my gay friend Brian" do people now say "my main man who has sex with other men Brian" or what

i've heard it for several years in the context of sexual health, so monkeypox being framed as an STD led to everyone using the sexual health term i guess

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MSM is used to spcify men who have sex with men, it's not that complicated. Medically it's used to prohibit men who have sex with men from donating blood due to the AIDS crisis in which it was assumed that all men who have sex with men have AIDS. This trend has been falling off in more recent years but it's still very much around.

Nobody medically cares if you're gay if you've never had sex with a man, because by the logic of the AIDS crisis there's no reason you'd have the disease without having sex with a man. Similarly nobody cares if you're bisexual if you've been faithful to your wife since 1975 or whatever, because it was decided that AIDS is only spread through men having sex with each other.

Obviously this is all pretty suspect by like actual scientific analysis, but the medical field is very much a political establishment just like any other in America.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Malleum posted:

sometimes i remember that everyone was super excited for the mRNA vaccine breakthrough because it meant that they could get vaccines for different strains of disease out quicker, and that there have been no new vaccines made for any new strains of covid

lol you'd need funding to make it worth it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
And if covid is over there's no reason to fund it, and it would be bad for the dems if covid wasn't over, so covid is over, so there's no funding

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gay frog chemicals posted:

MSM is used to spcify men who have sex with men, it's not that complicated. Medically it's used to prohibit men who have sex with men from donating blood due to the AIDS crisis in which it was assumed that all men who have sex with men have AIDS. This trend has been falling off in more recent years but it's still very much around.

Nobody medically cares if you're gay if you've never had sex with a man, because by the logic of the AIDS crisis there's no reason you'd have the disease without having sex with a man. Similarly nobody cares if you're bisexual if you've been faithful to your wife since 1975 or whatever, because it was decided that AIDS is only spread through men having sex with each other.

Obviously this is all pretty suspect by like actual scientific analysis, but the medical field is very much a political establishment just like any other in America.

the blood thing originally was because there was no good, fast blood test.

blood donation rules are arcane, strict and are not usually eased even if stupid. I am currently permanently barred because I was in England before 1996 because my dad had a job there.

the FDA proposed lifting this requirement a few months ago but we’ll see if that happens.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

smug jeebus posted:

dead forums that have sex with dead forums

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

only if you at least have options

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

hobbesmaster posted:

blood donation rules are arcane, strict and are not usually eased even if stupid. I am currently permanently barred because I was in England before 1996 because my dad had a job there.

the FDA proposed lifting this requirement a few months ago but we’ll see if that happens.

hoof and mouth disease thing? or smth else?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mad cow

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

a fatguy baldspot posted:

hoof and mouth disease thing? or smth else?

cjd but close

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Forseti posted:

That really sucks, democrats are poo poo. But I bet you have a pretty good understanding of it and I haven't looked yet... but would, say, a 2015 chevy volt that I bought used a month ago get me some free money on taxes this year?

Actually, how is manufactured in America defined? I'm not sure what car you're talking about, but aren't most of the big brands (Toyota, Nissan, etc) building their US market cars here now anyway to save on shipping?

Edit: VV :lmao: VV

batteries can't be made in china I believe is the big one lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

IAMKOREA posted:

It's pretty simple, you can have sex with another man without being gay.

If a dude gives me a blowjob that doesn't make me gay, that makes him gay! He's the one sucking a penis!

But medically speaking I can still get monkeypox that way so when evaluating risk it's about whether I'm having sexual contact and not whether I'm thinking of myself as gay while doing it.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

hobbesmaster posted:

they only recently lifted the ban on people with hereditary hemochromatosis from donating lol

hemochromatosis is basically where your blood stores too much iron, which I would assume would be good to give to someone who is anemic. the disorder is a non-issue if you do regular phlebotomy though. which I do and have for years because I just didn't tell them I had it when donating blood. it's a genetic disorder which obviously can't be transmitted by blood donation but they still banned it lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/...ingawful.com%2F

lol ohhhhh whhhhattttt noooo wayyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

smug jeebus posted:

this was covered earlier this year in another forum