Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Nah the Thunderbolts were a group of heroes who popped up after the Avengers vanished in the comics. I don't believe they had anything to do with Ross but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TGG posted:

Nah the Thunderbolts were a group of heroes who popped up after the Avengers vanished in the comics. I don't believe they had anything to do with Ross but I could be wrong.

Oh, so Ross' nickname is just a coincidence? Alright. Weird. I've been assuming it would connect, right up until William Hurt died and they didn't change the name of the movie.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

I'm curious about that. Isn't his character nicknamed Thunderbolt Ross? I've never read the comics the movie will be based on, but I just assumed the Thunderbolts got their name from him, like they were a team assembled somehow under him. Obviously the movie is going to use JLD's character, but are they not going to use Ross at all now? What's with the name now? Or was the name always totally unrelated in the comics?

Using Sam Elliot would be pretty funny.

It's Sam loving Elliot. He seems like the kind of guy who'd go after the Hulk with just a six-shooter on his hip.

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, so Ross' nickname is just a coincidence? Alright. Weird. I've been assuming it would connect, right up until William Hurt died and they didn't change the name of the movie.

Pretty much. In the original comics the name got picked because Baron Zemo wanted something "cryptofascist but friendly."

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Even if they wanted to tie it to Ross, they could just name the group after him in tribute.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

It's Sam loving Elliot. He seems like the kind of guy who'd go after the Hulk with just a six-shooter on his hip.

…did you see Ang Lee’s Hulk?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I mean the Thunderbolts thing makes sense in the MCU because Ross has been a bigger character in there than the comic world as a whole. It does makes sense if the Thunderbolts have a military origin that they’re named after Ross.

And doing that in tribute seems easy. It’s not like an 80 year old actor was gonna be playing Red Hulk anytime soon.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

howe_sam posted:

I do enjoy a little Law & Order spoofing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtoeIXKrU_E

I was already looking forward to the show, but this pushed it into outright excitement. That is the exact tone I've been hoping for.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

There was a version of the Thunderbolts that Ross led but yeah he's typically entirely uninvolved with the team.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 14, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

…did you see Ang Lee’s Hulk?

Parts of it. I don't think I've ever sat down and watched the whole thing.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Everyone posted:

Parts of it. I don't think I've ever sat down and watched the whole thing.

Here's a brief primer to bring you up to speed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ha, this is even cooler than I remembered.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

howe_sam posted:

I do enjoy a little Law & Order spoofing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtoeIXKrU_E

I skipped ms marvel cause it was too kiddy but this looks like it might be fun. lots of cool characters seem to be showing up in this one

can't believe the abomination is back. i knew sitting through edward norton's cringe rear end hulk would be worth it!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

"Too Kiddy" says man invested in comic book cinematic universe.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Ms. Marvel is so good.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Elendil004 posted:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Oasx posted:

Ms. Marvel is so good.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The comic book editing of Ang Lee Hulk is great.

Ms. Marvel is also great, even if you're not into teen drama stuff.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, that "comic book universe" was primarily designed by and for adults. As are a lot of actual comics with a few decades now. They might be power fantasy, but they're still written with adults in mind, because a desire for more power/control and power fantasies aren't solely the purview of children given how powerless a lot of adults are. Or at least, feel.

Not to mention, some things, even among those designed primarily for kids can be enjoyed by adults (the Avatar shows, for instance), while others often won't be (a lot of adults wouldn't find anything to hook them in a show like Rugrats if they didn't grow up with it as an example). I don't think Ms. Marvel falls within that camp personally, and it's about as adult or childish (whichever you prefer) as any other Disney+ MCU project really (bar maybe Falcon & the Winter Soldier; and I'd dispute that given the finale, if nothing else); but it's definitely a possibility that something could be.

It's just that it has a younger cast, but really, that's about the biggest difference.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm not going to tell anyone what to watch, but we had three huge Spider-man movies about a teenager doing teenager stuff, while also being a superhero.
I don't understand why Ms. Marvel is suddenly too much for people. Is it because Iman Vellani actually looks like a teenager, unlike Tom Holland who looks 35?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Correction: Imani is great. The show itself was merely OK, mostly bogged down by lovely villains that didn’t need to be in it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Also imagine going to see The Marvels but thinking Ms. Marvel was too kiddy and Wandavision was too weird.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tsob posted:

I mean, that "comic book universe" was primarily designed by and for adults. As are a lot of actual comics with a few decades now. They might be power fantasy, but they're still written with adults in mind, because a desire for more power/control and power fantasies aren't solely the purview of children given how powerless a lot of adults are. Or at least, feel.

Not to mention, some things, even among those designed primarily for kids can be enjoyed by adults (the Avatar shows, for instance), while others often won't be (a lot of adults wouldn't find anything to hook them in a show like Rugrats if they didn't grow up with it as an example). I don't think Ms. Marvel falls within that camp personally, and it's about as adult or childish (whichever you prefer) as any other Disney+ MCU project really (bar maybe Falcon & the Winter Soldier; and I'd dispute that given the finale, if nothing else); but it's definitely a possibility that something could be.

It's just that it has a younger cast, but really, that's about the biggest difference.

Eh...Ms Marvel is a bit...childish tho...I mean you have teens fighting off police forces with softballs at the end. But it also has some heavy themes so it's a bit of a wash. Either way I understand what they're getting at. Sometimes you're not interested in kid protagonists.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ms Marvel has far more in common with Lovecraft Country than it does any childrens' show

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mameluke posted:

Ms Marvel has far more in common with Lovecraft Country than it does any childrens' show

Eh, the first half in particular is very much basically just a show for young teens

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 13, 2022

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mameluke posted:

I hadn’t put this together, but yeah, similar story.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm almost glad HBO is getting gutted for them canceling Lovecraft Country after only one season

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Soonmot posted:

I'm almost glad HBO is getting gutted for them canceling Lovecraft Country after only one season

The plans for the 2nd season were incredible, too. Too beautiful for this hell-timeline :smith:

But we got Kang, at least? :unsmith:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Lovecraft Country deserved to get cancelled after ruining such a good concept, everything fell to pieces after the first episode.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Lovecraft Country was reportedly cancelled cause the showrunner was terrible.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

live with fruit posted:

Lovecraft Country was reportedly cancelled cause the showrunner was terrible.

Define terrible.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Define terrible.

"Toxic workplace."

It's too bad, too. Underground is also very good, if you can get onboard with its concept.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 14, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Oasx posted:

Ms. Marvel is so good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

They deserve all the AWWWWWs.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
For as much as people hate her, Larson comes off like a very earnest drama nerd.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Larson is fine, she's just a bit of a cringe millennial. I don't really find her personality very interesting (such as on her YouTube channel), but I think she's generally sincere and cool irl, though. I've only heard bad poo poo about her from people I think are assholes with agendas so whatever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lammasu posted:

I thought Professor X was in a wheelchair because he ripped off Doom Patrol?

Doom Patrol being ripped off for the X-men has been floating around but I've seen that its Doom Patrol that's the rip off of Fantastic 4

There's no Invisible Woman direct analog, but Robotman and Negative Man do kinda seem like the Thing and Human Torch, while Chief and Elastigirl seem to be two haves of Reed. I guess in this analogy Crazy Jane is HERBIE?

Anyways, I think the general idea is a team of people who gained their powers via accidents and where not exactly happy with their situations and also didn't perfectly get along was what DC was looking at rather than their standard lineup of heroes who are all pretty happy with their powers and when they are together team up. That was a big drawn for Marvel characters at the time, they were imperfect. It was kind of shallow, like oh Thor is actually a doctor with a bad leg, or iron man is a genius but he's got a bad heart. This is opposed to DC where your heroes tend to be fairly well adjusted and at worst they have issues hiding their identities from their romantic partners. Batman has dead parents but he didn't seem that broken up by it.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Got to see the first 3 episodes of She-Hulk and enjoyed it very much!
Unsurprisingly, Tatiana Maslany is another gold casting for Marvel Studios! The rest of the show is pretty much a fun legal comedy in the mold of the Dan Slott runs, with a bit of meta cheekiness from John Byrne's version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It sounds like it meets all my hopes for the show I wanted most even before they announced it, and have been anticipating most since they did. Is the legal element or case of the week of it making up much of each episode, or just a tiny bit?