Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

KingSlime posted:

You got this! Twin princes have a few tricky moves but they are mostly just flashy bastards, their move set is well telegraphed and pretty easy to dodge. In my opinion, several of the bosses that you already beat are tougher

You're not kidding about lothric castle being pretty savage though, especially during my first playthrough. The knights with the great swords made my life hell and I still don't think it's worth fighting them most of the time

It's the red eyed ones that get the boost from the clerics and also those 3 gargoyle guys on that one roof top if I go that way.

It's always weird to me read play throughs and message boards on these games from 5 years ago (but in real time for me since I'm so late to the series) and discovering which bosses gave players fits and which were easy for them. I'm meandering through the DS3 board reading posts from 2018 and seeing how Crystal Sage or Dragonslayer Armor hosed people up repeatedly when I was able to smash right through them. So far, for me, Aldritch and Dancer have given me the most trouble but Twin Princes is on a whole other level here and I'm not exaggerating when I say I've died like 50 times so far using a wide range of strategies, items and YT videos.

By far, so far, the hardest boss for me in either DS1 or DS3.

I can't get the roll timing down, mainly, so last time I experimented with parrying and had some success there. It's the whole "teleport/smash/teleport" bullshit they do that's messing me up and my rolls are always a second late even with low equip %. Often, they teleport and do the laser attack before I can lock on them and roll out.

Usually, when I hit a wall like this I'll go farm souls and level up some but that castle, the areas around it and even the Archives feel especially rough for my guy right now. Currently doing a thing where I go back from the beginning and just do a soul gathering run in a linear fashion and poke around for poo poo I missed but then die from something stupid anyway lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cleretic posted:

The most minor of all complaints to have about Multiversus:

Harley Quinn is voiced by Tara Strong doing her pitch-perfect impression of Arleen Sorkin's B:TAS voice, that she's been doing for a lot of appearances of Harley in stuff like the Arkham games. It's great, and would be a perfect choice for Harley in any situation... except this one, because Multiversus' Harley is very clearly based on her HBO Max show, which is the one animated depiction of Harley that doesn't use that voice!

That is a shame, as Kaley Cuoco getting then role was neat given I only personally knew her from Big Bang Theory and I thought that she did very well in the role.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BiggerBoat posted:

Often, they teleport and do the laser attack before I can lock on them and roll out.

When you say lock on do you mean in a general sense or very literally you're trying to lock onto them first and then dodge? Because if it's the latter I think I found your problem. Though, while it's been a while now, I recall with the Princes sometimes they deal you a hand where the only answer is to dodge first, camera be damned.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Aug 13, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I am liking Cult of the Lamb but there are just so many bugs on it that softlock the game or make things more annoying that it's hard to continue playing it until a patch is released.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is a problem with most rogue lites , but Dead Cells in particular because I've been replaying since the latest update came out.
The early levels are much to easy, while the later levels become slogs. If you use the skip levels features, you miss out on the experience and items you'll need for the later levels.

I can blast through the first 3 or so biomes in under 15 minutes, but the later ones can take up to 20 minutes wleach, because all the enemies can basically one shot you.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I beat the final boss of Returnal. I was ready to go for the bonus third act stuff until I found out that the items don’t necessarily spawn on any particular run and absolutely stopped giving a poo poo. I felt like the game hit its high point at the end of act 1.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The bosses in Dead Cells have at least twice as much health as they should. They aren't really even that hard, but I always end up taking damage when I get bored and distracted because the fights take so dang long

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

When you say lock on do you mean in a general sense or very literally you're trying to lock onto them first and then dodge? Because if it's the latter I think I found your problem. Though, while it's been a while now, I recall with the Princes sometimes they deal you a hand where the only answer is to dodge first, camera be damned.

Find where they are after the teleport, basically.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

The bosses in Dead Cells have at least twice as much health as they should. They aren't really even that hard, but I always end up taking damage when I get bored and distracted because the fights take so dang long
Dead Cells takes fun core gameplay and then fucks with the numbers until it isn't fun anymore. It's kind of a shame.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shiroc posted:

I beat the final boss of Returnal. I was ready to go for the bonus third act stuff until I found out that the items don’t necessarily spawn on any particular run and absolutely stopped giving a poo poo. I felt like the game hit its high point at the end of act 1.

the keys have a 100% spawn chance, but their location in each biome is randomized between runs

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nostradingus posted:

I find this tends to be my biggest complaint with a lot of games these days, boss fights often feel like they're really cool and fun. Then continue on for like 25% longer than they absolutely should until you're tired of them and never want to do them anymore. But I also feel, increasingly, the same way about grinding in most games. Like, cool, I can do some menial activity like clear a cave of monsters and hit up all the mining nodes without any risk to my character at this point; there's nothing to really be gained beyond time padding by forcing me to do this ten thousand more times and not including an easier/faster way to gain access to that ore at higher levels. Basically I've stopped playing online games almost entirely because their content sucks and exists to suck up your time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think I got to four boss cells in Dead Cells before it stopped being fun. The game also really suffers from the "the final boss is 500% harder than anything that comes before it" syndrome that seems to plague roguelites in particular.

I think my biggest problem with that game is that there are a bunch of cool items that are just too unreturned or poorly conceived, so using like 66% of the game's armory is a self imposed challenge run.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oxxidation posted:

the keys have a 100% spawn chance, but their location in each biome is randomized between runs

You also have to die at least once between beating the game and the keys starting to show up, at least when I had done it. Went through all the biomes twice without dying, with none of the the things spawning, before reading that tip.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Cult of the Lamb:

Ending spoilers: Nothing special happens if you convert The One Who Waits to your cult and marry him

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

The Moon Monster posted:

I think I got to four boss cells in Dead Cells before it stopped being fun. The game also really suffers from the "the final boss is 500% harder than anything that comes before it" syndrome that seems to plague roguelites in particular.

I admit that I haven't played in ages, but if I remember right, in addition to being way harder than anything before it, the final boss also requires a completely different build than the rest of the game, so you can either build your character the way you like and have a poo poo time against the final boss or build your character specifically for the final boss and have a poo poo time trying to reach it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

CordlessPen posted:

I admit that I haven't played in ages, but if I remember right, in addition to being way harder than anything before it, the final boss also requires a completely different build than the rest of the game, so you can either build your character the way you like and have a poo poo time against the final boss or build your character specifically for the final boss and have a poo poo time trying to reach it.

Isn't it FTL that does that?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Oxxidation posted:

I had died, then investigated an entire biome and they weren't there. Unless they can be behind locked chests or doors that there weren't enough keys for.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Ftl isnt so bad if you engage with normalish mechanics but a lot of weird focuses and gimmicks that work fine on nornal encounters die to the flagship

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tunicate posted:

Ftl isnt so bad if you engage with normalish mechanics but a lot of weird focuses and gimmicks that work fine on nornal encounters die to the flagship

The problem with the flagship, specifically, is that with how RNG reliant FTL is, it's incredibly easy to just wind up with a build that flat out can not win, and a lot of the the encounter's design just straight up is designed to counter popular tactics. There are entire races designed for specific niches, like for example; boarding enemy ships and taking out their crew. It's viable for most of the game! Except for the final fight where not only do the phase transitions just kind of buggily delete your crew members from existence sometimes, but if you kill all of the crew on the flagship, an AI takes over making that entirely pointless, and possibly even counterproductive, to do.

The game is cool and fun, but the final fight feels like it's just a giant middle finger to the very design of the rest of the game if you favored anything but overwhelming firepower.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
FTL's final boss isn't too hard to overcome even with a build focused on boarding, but you do need to have something to do regular damage in your back pocket (which you probably should anyway). The angle I always had was to kill everybody except the guy in the beam cannon; every other weapon if left alone can bust through and do damage given a lucky enough hit, but the beam never will.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Cleretic posted:

FTL's final boss isn't too hard to overcome even with a build focused on boarding, but you do need to have something to do regular damage in your back pocket (which you probably should anyway). The angle I always had was to kill everybody except the guy in the beam cannon; every other weapon if left alone can bust through and do damage given a lucky enough hit, but the beam never will.

Sure but some of that is based on foreknowledge of how the boss works, like not killing the one guy. How would you know not to kill him? The chance of a boarding-focused run beating the boss on their first attempt is basically 0%.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My question is why did FTL even need a final boss? You've already completed your loving mission by this point.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it'd be cool if the flagship was like the Heart in slay the spire, where's it's an optional, True Ending boss

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

gohuskies posted:

Sure but some of that is based on foreknowledge of how the boss works, like not killing the one guy. How would you know not to kill him? The chance of a boarding-focused run beating the boss on their first attempt is basically 0%.

This seems like a very odd thing to complain about for a rogue-like game. The first time you kill off the entire crew, the ship reveals it has an AI (to be fair, it's not the first time you encounter crewless ships, you even go up against one in the tutorial so you can't even say that "Well what if the player never encountered the drones?") and you learn to keep one of the crewmembers alive.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Randalor posted:

This seems like a very odd thing to complain about for a rogue-like game. The first time you kill off the entire crew, the ship reveals it has an AI (to be fair, it's not the first time you encounter crewless ships, you even go up against one in the tutorial so you can't even say that "Well what if the player never encountered the drones?") and you learn to keep one of the crewmembers alive.

Actual roguelikes mostly abandoned extreme gotchas like that decades ago as a design principle because they in fact suck bigtime. (Of course some of the most popular roguelikes are from the 90s when that design was in full force, but gotchas are less of an issue when most of your playerbase has been playing the game for 2 or 3 decades.)

90% of the people I've talked with about FTL think the flagship sucks and makes the rest of the game worse by its presence, probably for a reason.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
FTL's biggest problem is absolutely the last boss and there's a reason why the most popular mod for the game used to be the one that erased the flagship entirely letting players just play on endlessly.

One of the reasons Into The Breach is a much better game (even though I like it a bit less than FTL) is that the final mission is much more open to different strategies and loadouts.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ilmucche posted:

That's also extremely true, but I think I remember Dead Cells having some status effects or mutations (I honestly don't remember how your character levels up) being really good against mobs but absolutely useless against the final boss. I think, for example, you could have a really nice combo of grenades that freeze enemies and a weapon that deals criticals against frozen enemies that didn't work at all against the final boss.

Maybe I'm wrong though; I haven't played in ages.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I dunno, I stopped playing dead cells after like 2 or 3 ascensions. It was fun to learn but it didn't hook me into wanting to do higher ascension runs

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Actual roguelikes mostly abandoned extreme gotchas like that decades ago as a design principle because they in fact suck bigtime. (Of course some of the most popular roguelikes are from the 90s when that design was in full force, but gotchas are less of an issue when most of your playerbase has been playing the game for 2 or 3 decades.)

90% of the people I've talked with about FTL think the flagship sucks and makes the rest of the game worse by its presence, probably for a reason.

Oh, I know. I tend to consider a "winning" run of FTL to be getting to the final sector, because the Flagship is so janky. Special attacks that go off despite the relevant part of the ship being destroyed (the swarm of drones comes to mind), that the AI that activates when the crew is killed makes it better than the fully-staffed ship (or at least it used to), that it's literally dropped on you at the end without warning...

A lot of things to complain about, but "The boss did something unexpected" seems odd considering you can level that at most end-game bosses.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Randalor posted:

<<<<<<<<<<----------------

Is that Rush Limbaugh in a Disco Elysium art style you have for an avatar?

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Aug 14, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BiggerBoat posted:

looks like Rob Ford

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CordlessPen posted:

That's also extremely true, but I think I remember Dead Cells having some status effects or mutations (I honestly don't remember how your character levels up) being really good against mobs but absolutely useless against the final boss. I think, for example, you could have a really nice combo of grenades that freeze enemies and a weapon that deals criticals against frozen enemies that didn't work at all against the final boss.

Maybe I'm wrong though; I haven't played in ages.

I've found the only reliable way to kill the final boss is to get a giantkiller sword. Every hit is a critical hit against bosses or elite enemies , but does ok damage against mobs. Get one and keep it in the secod slot while you have another weapon in tje first. Hope you dont want a bow or shield in the second slot

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Sally posted:

looks like Rob Ford

Doug Ford in the style of Disco Elysium made by an AI

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BiggerBoat posted:

Find where they are after the teleport, basically.

Gotcha. I wanted to make sure because over-reliance on lock on is a really common issue in Dark Souls.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Read these posts together like this. Made sense.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I blame Star Wars for this, but the idea of you being the lone government ship running away from a horde of rebels with a massive super weapon feels wrong.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

I blame Star Wars for this, but the idea of you being the lone government ship running away from a horde of rebels with a massive super weapon feels wrong.

The nature of the Rebellion is pretty neatly portrayed with the fact that every crew member on every Rebel ship is a human.

They're basically like the jan 6 rioters got hold of a tank.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I dunno. The rebel leadership are all human but their actual military power comes from a bunch of squid people. Like, every single one of their capital ships are squid people ships and the highest rank any of those folks attain is “admiral”.

La plus ca change lmao

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tenebrais posted:

The nature of the Rebellion is pretty neatly portrayed with the fact that every crew member on every Rebel ship is a human.

I would say that more effectively represents the fact that making people look like aliens costs money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

I would say that more effectively represents the fact that making people look like aliens costs money.

It's a video game, they're using the same set of graphics as all the alien crews on your own ship.