Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kivi posted:

Audi A1 quattro

LR Defender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sab669 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc_iYf3h5J0

I'm excited to see someone finally put the two on the same rubber. Still shakes out more or less how I expected; overall the Supra is still faster/nicer but the Z is still plenty fun even if Nissan had to cut a lot of corners.

The Z is finally up for configuration on Nissan's site too... Only 3 of the colors are $0 options: Black, Rosewood (dark red), and Gun Metal. Pretty lame.

Rosewood looks good in the configurator though

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Toyota cut more corners. Like totally outsourcing the whole car. #NotMySupra

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It is a very nice color, but you're stuck with the Black interior if you get Rosewood. Can't get the red interior with it, which is always dumb :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

PBCrunch posted:

Toyota cut more corners. Like totally outsourcing the whole car. #NotMySupra

The cheek of using A90 on the press releases when it isn't the chassis code :blastu: dickriding past glories, smh.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sab669 posted:

It is a very nice color, but you're stuck with the Black interior if you get Rosewood. Can't get the red interior with it, which is always dumb :colbert:

it would clash horribly nissan did us all a favor if you intend to order that poo poo

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

looks like a fat early 2000's Audi with those headlights.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it would clash horribly nissan did us all a favor if you intend to order that poo poo

Sure, but then the obvious solution is also make a matching interior :v:

The Passion Red + Red interior is nice, Blue on blue is awesome. Why not dark red on dark red.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
On the subject of the Zupra, what automakers actually offer something sporty under $100K that isn't shared with another automaker and/or platform engineered off of another high-volume model?

Ford Mustang
Chevrolet Corvette
Porsche Cayman/Boxster I guess?

Disqualified:
Chevrolet Camaro (rides a platform made for RWD Cadillacs)
BMW Z4 and Toyota Supra
Toyobaru twins
Dodge Charger (it is a two-door Charger)
Lexus RC and LC
Nissan Z is an Infiniti whatever they're calling it these days
Mazda Miata (would the current generation model have gotten a green light without the Fiat 124 Spyder?)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PBCrunch posted:

On the subject of the Zupra, what automakers actually offer something sporty under $100K that isn't shared with another automaker and/or platform engineered off of another high-volume model?

Ford Mustang
Chevrolet Corvette

Disqualified:
BMW Z4 and Toyota Supra
Toyobaru twins
Lexus RC and LC
Mazda Miata (would the current generation model have gotten a green light without the Fiat 124 Spyder?)

I wish I could find a more authoritative source, but it looks like the Fiat 124 Spyder's sales, but it looks like its best year in the US ever was still less than 5,000 units: https://carsalesbase.com/us-fiat-124-spider/. I realize that there was still R&D cost sharing, but the two of them together sell way, WAY less than the Mustang, Corvette, or Cayman.

Now that the base Golf is dead in the US, you could also argue that the GTI and Golf R are both sporty options that aren't shared with another automaker or based on a high-volume model, the GTI outsold the Golf here anyway before the Golf's cancellation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A110 is its own platform.

Technically the Cayman and Boxster are platform shares with the 911, but that platform isn't used on anything else.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Now that the base Golf is dead in the US, you could also argue that the GTI and Golf R are both sporty options that aren't shared with another automaker or based on a high-volume model, the GTI outsold the Golf here anyway before the Golf's cancellation.

this is an insane definition, MQB underpins like a million units a year

edit: probably closer to two million

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Golf/GTI both use the ubiquitous MKB platform though.

Edit: beaten, and yea mqb not MKB lol

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

PBCrunch posted:

Ford Mustang
Chevrolet Corvette

Disqualified:
BMW Z4 and Toyota Supra
Toyobaru twins
Lexus RC and LC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_4C

There are still new units on the lots here, even if they stopped producing it this year

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nissan GT-R is still being produced and is the only PM platform car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nissan GT-R is still being produced and is the only PM platform car.

Yeah but it's not under 100k anymore, even for a base model.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SlowBloke posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_4C

There are still new units on the lots here, even if they stopped producing it this year

These things are the cheapest carbon fiber monocoque street car you can buy too

They seem fuckin legit on paper, I want to drive one

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I worked with a guy who had one, it literally spent 8 weeks out of its first year at the Fiat dealership. This is one of a handful of cars where reliability concerns are absolutely warranted.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Yeah but it's not under 100k anymore, even for a base model.

yeah those price increases were wild, i thought you could still sneak the base under 100k though

BlackMK4 posted:

I saw one on the street the other day, they are tiny and sound good. Bold man driving that thing on our roads.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I saw one on the street the other day, they are tiny and sound good. Bold man driving that thing on our roads.

There is a semi-official akrapovic exhaust kit that will make more noise than gt3 cars, it's insane.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah those price increases were wild, i thought you could still sneak the base under 100k though

$113,540

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just raising the price is not how you stay competitive with other makers, Nissan. :mad:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I was going to say the i3 is the cheapest, by a significant margin, but I don't think it's actually 100% carbon like originally thought :thunk:

Midjack posted:

Just raising the price is not how you stay competitive with other makers, Nissan. :mad:

They really didn't "just raise prices". It started making 480HP and now the Nismo makes 600. It's way more rigid, and has had the interior updated & refreshed multiple times too.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sab669 posted:

I was going to say the i3 is the cheapest, by a significant margin, but I don't think it's actually 100% carbon like originally thought :thunk:

i3 has a cell made of CFRP with external aluminum for the drivetrain and structural parts

https://www.plastix-world.com/bmw-i3-carbon-fiber-body/

The 4c on the other hand has a Dallara-derived CF bathtub design. Each car was sold at deep negatives due to the carbon fiber components costing a shitload more than what they expected.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
When are the new lotus spots cars coming

Those probably fit under that question but idgaf

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Throatwarbler posted:

When are the new lotus spots cars coming

Those probably fit under that question but idgaf

Emira is having immense production issues (Harry Metcalfe from Harry's garage is a day one customer and has nagged multiple times about the release date being moved) so it's going to take a while before seeing any on the road.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Chairman Xi my name is throatwarbler and I am a 35 year old fat guy living in America please nationalize lotus and send emiras

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

isn't there some gordon murray vaporware car coming too

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The GMA T50 grand reveal at goodwood got majorly spoiled by the speirling going like a bat out of hell while the t50 went at a mundane pace. It's expected to retail at 2.4m£ so it also fails the current vehicle under 100k$ metric

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The T.43 was teased along with the T.50 as a sports car with a turbo 4 that used the design principles of his hypercars on a budget. Literally nothing else has been said about it since then.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sab669 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc_iYf3h5J0

I'm excited to see someone finally put the two on the same rubber. Still shakes out more or less how I expected; overall the Supra is still faster/nicer but the Z is still plenty fun even if Nissan had to cut a lot of corners.

The Z is finally up for configuration on Nissan's site too... Only 3 of the colors are $0 options: Black, Rosewood (dark red), and Gun Metal. Pretty lame.

The more that Yooootoooobe reviewers fall into the "Corwow! Find out where to buy your next car an oh here's another boring quarter mile race that tells you utterly nothing about the car because it's clickbait" hole the more I appreciate Savagegeese for actually putting some effort in. And also not pulling punches.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Yeah I know he’s gotten some gripes in here for being a curmudgeon but they’ve been doing some excellent in depth long reviews lately.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Only issue I have with SG is the part where they throw it up on the hoist for an "in depth" look. Sometimes they've clearly had a good engineering media pack, or seen the talk from an engineer at the launch or something, but other times it's just "well yeah these suspension arms look beefy I guess so that's cool...". But I understand sticking to the format for algo reasons, and it's a pretty minor gripe.

Edit: yeah I don't mind the curmudgeon part, same with Cammisa. Strong opinions but they're usually right and can back up their opinions with fact.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Only issue I have with SG is the part where they throw it up on the hoist for an "in depth" look. Sometimes they've clearly had a good engineering media pack, or seen the talk from an engineer at the launch or something, but other times it's just "well yeah these suspension arms look beefy I guess so that's cool...".

“We’re going to go deep into all the nitty gritty technical details and bore you to death with engineering minutiae.

Huh yup looks like suspension parts. Ok moving on.”

SG is still one of the best new car YouTubers, however.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Only issue I have with SG is the part where they throw it up on the hoist for an "in depth" look. Sometimes they've clearly had a good engineering media pack, or seen the talk from an engineer at the launch or something, but other times it's just "well yeah these suspension arms look beefy I guess so that's cool...". But I understand sticking to the format for algo reasons, and it's a pretty minor gripe.

Edit: yeah I don't mind the curmudgeon part, same with Cammisa. Strong opinions but they're usually right and can back up their opinions with fact.

cammisa is just annoying. not demuro level of annoying but a certain kind of smug that detracts from an otherwise well-shot video series.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Guinness posted:

“We’re going to go deep into all the nitty gritty technical details and bore you to death with engineering minutiae.

Huh yup looks like suspension parts. Ok moving on.”

SG is still one of the best new car YouTubers, however.

They’ve already done like 30+ minute videos on all the Supra iterations and the Z so I don’t begrudge them for making this video only almost 40 minutes and skipping stuff you can watch in another video.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
"In which a blogger finds the private key used to sign Hyundai car software updates … by googling it. They used a key pair from a popular tutorial."

https://twitter.com/d_feldman/status/1558309810801631233

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Not at all surprised, the app program is obviously outsourced to the cheapest person possible.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Saukkis posted:

"In which a blogger finds the private key used to sign Hyundai car software updates … by googling it. They used a key pair from a popular tutorial."

https://twitter.com/d_feldman/status/1558309810801631233

Speaking of keys, you can steal Hyundais and Kias that use a traditional ignition key with a USB cable because those cars don't have immobilizers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

Speaking of keys, you can steal Hyundais and Kias that use a traditional ignition key with a USB cable because those cars don't have immobilizers.

I thought that most cars added immobilizers in the 90s. Are you telling me that you can just physically cut a key and it'll work in a Hyundai? No chip?