Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Agreed posted:

That Korg Opsix is awesome too, how does it sound? I bet it sounds really cool.

Spent a few hours checking out the preset programs / sequences and making droney stuff with the effects. It sounds good and is a lot of fun, definitely the best FM interface I've used. Unfortunately, I can't play with it more until I finish moving. Studio is very full currently.

Unrelated to opsix, rack progress:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

I got an RC-300 at a great price second hand at my favorite local shop. I'm looping, pals, I'm really looping now. Sent the EHX 720 back for being unnecessary and limiting by way of comparison. I know newer tech has somewhat better audio (this is 44.1khz/16-bit, sounds fine to me), and allows 5-6 simultaneous tracks whereas this has 3, but I made a whole song on the spot in store with the three track and its built in percussion generator and had people listening in, it was a lot of fun and I think I'm going to be really happy with this for less than half the price of one of those newer units with so many tracks (even used).

LOOPS

I keep looking at these and then looking at the Aeros Loop Studio and then thinking "I need to just work out a setup to do this poo poo on my laptop". Which, at this point, I have mostly done.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I love my DAW and could probably figure out a way to do this with scripting and midi controllers but the appeal for me as a non laptop user is to have this feature set precisely in a grab and go form. Guitar on my back, little travel pedal board with a mini comp, OD, distortion, and a delay&reverb 2 in 1 pedal in its gig bag, and RC-300 in a Gator gig bag, and I can plug into any amp and do the thing with minimal setup time. It's a fun songwriting tool also - easy to set a tempo with a percussion loop and record a few parts, then export the guitar parts and build that out with better drums & keys in my DAW.

I am sure I'd love one of the top quality newer units but for under $300 (offset by returning my EHX 720 for $189, which was cool but felt very restrictive with only one loop track at a time once I got into the looping idea more), I am tickled positively shitless with this RC-300, it is miles ahead of that capability and is doing great for me.

If I did laptop stuff though I'd be inclined to investigate using like a Nektar controller and doing it in the box!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 7, 2022

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
So if I buy your band's old bass drum, and it has your artwork and band name still on it, now I own that, right, RIGHT?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

What genre were The Wolf Toilets? :lmao:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I feel like it's a joke that only makes sense with a particular local pronunciation, like Squirrel Girl's name.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
It came out of northern Michigan, pretty sure it's just someone's funny band name idea or an inside joke. Best part, this is the bass drum from a "youth" size set which is either a further part of the joke, or there was a little kid playing in a band call The Wolf Toilets.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

widefault posted:

It came out of northern Michigan, pretty sure it's just someone's funny band name idea or an inside joke. Best part, this is the bass drum from a "youth" size set which is either a further part of the joke, or there was a little kid playing in a band call The Wolf Toilets.

More likely the drummer from the wolf toilets/his mom drove an inappropriately small car for a drummer and couldn't get a full size in the boot.

I used to occasionally play on the same bills as a technical death metal band who's drummer drove a hyundai i30. The dude would just pop the trigger pads from his Roland V-drums in the boot and use a full size kit otherwise. Was weird to look at, but given that genre is all clicky triggered kick drums all the time, nobody really gave a poo poo.

Then the other tech death guys noticed you could see his legs and all the fancy footwork much better than if he was using a proper bass drum and started following suit, was a real trend for a bit.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Finally finished modifying and tidying up my tiny first pedalboard from my bass playin' days into my effects loop board, after the realities of having one massive board hit home when I actually tried to leave the house with it.

Happy with the amount of room on both boards, although the main board is absolutely maxed out on power from the new Joyo PedalPower 2 clone.

Little one is using a tiny low profile 8 port Ammoon thing from Ali express that seems to do the trick with more thirsty digital pedals, but for some reason didn't play nice with my HM-2 of all things.

Need to find some sort of multi time-FX solution to replace the Behringer BBD because I don't really use it as often as I thought, kinda prefer the little monoprice unit.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, I have no idea what I'll ever do with them, but I asked what kind of discount I could get if I bought all three and the price was too good to pass up. Honestly, the listed prices were too good to pass up, but it always pays to ask!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

widefault posted:

So if I buy your band's old bass drum, and it has your artwork and band name still on it, now I own that, right, RIGHT?

Lmao this is the best thing in the thread.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

widefault posted:

Yeah, I have no idea what I'll ever do with them, but I asked what kind of discount I could get if I bought all three and the price was too good to pass up. Honestly, the listed prices were too good to pass up, but it always pays to ask!

Oh wow, you got a further discount?! yeah, that's a steal. You've honestly got enough dodadery there to make all kinds of cool sounding stuff. Time to 'speriment!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

widefault posted:

if you end up not wanting any of them, I have extremely been considering poking at them (especially the mellotron and synth ones) so hit me up

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

widefault posted:

loving hell that's a good deal. I have the Mel9 and it's a lot of fun. I'm interested in the rest of them but they're pretty expensive for how often I'd actually use them. At that price I would be sprinting to the cash register, though.

I really wish EHX would bundle all of the *9s into a single box and charge me $400 for them or something.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

I really wish EHX would bundle all of the *9s into a single box and charge me $400 for them or something.

I think that might be a POG2 technically? I remember reading these were all basically preset boxes for that tech

ymmv actually programming the thing though

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

JamesKPolk posted:

I think that might be a POG2 technically? I remember reading these were all basically preset boxes for that tech

Similarly, the Ring Thing has the pitch shifting abilities (plus expression control) and stereo out. While it doesn't have an effects loop, the ring mod stuff is pretty flexible and can color the sound in interesting ways.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Got my Opsix today, and managed to win the QA lottery :toot:

Also pictured is my other latest impulse buy, a Chase Bliss Mood (I really like the sounds you can get out of the mini-looper, and the delay and reverb effects are super solid on their own, too).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JamesKPolk posted:

I've seen people getting something like the organ and synth tones out of it, but nothing like what the mel9 does.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

NuclearPotato posted:

Got my Opsix today, and managed to win the QA lottery :toot:

Also pictured is my other latest impulse buy, a Chase Bliss Mood (I really like the sounds you can get out of the mini-looper, and the delay and reverb effects are super solid on their own, too).

spiritually clinking my pristine opsix with yours

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

as someone who has a pog2 and would love to figure out how to get those mellostring sounds, I think they're built on the same polyphonic tracking system, but I think there might be more to getting the 9 series' end results.

there's certainly more that can be done than what I've been able to achieve with the pog2, but I would need detailed patch settings to get closer

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

gently caress I just saw the OpSix is getting blowout pricing and I am IN LIKE gently caress, joining the OpSix club soon as they can ship it to me from MF!

Man, next week is going to be insane. Agile Septor 827 8-string, Toneczar Openhaus, Toneczar OTP, and now Korg OpSix on the way. My mind is going to be blown.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Agreed posted:

gently caress I just saw the OpSix is getting blowout pricing and I am IN LIKE gently caress, joining the OpSix club soon as they can ship it to me from MF!

Man, next week is going to be insane. Agile Septor 827 8-string, Toneczar Openhaus, Toneczar OTP, and now Korg OpSix on the way. My mind is going to be blown.

I don't even play piano or have need for a synth, but even I kind of want one at that price.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

NuclearPotato posted:

I have one of these and it can sound incredibly cool on synth. I had a lot more trouble finding sweet spots using it with guitar and ended up using it as a standard delay more often than not. It feels like it has a mind of its own sometimes, which is very cool with modular.

I was thinking about getting an OpSix back when it was pre-release but I kind of let my synth stuff slip to the back burner in favor of guitar after I moved house. But, poo poo, for that price I might have to pick one up anyway. Whats the reason they're so cheap? Are they getting discontinued already or something?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Scuttlebutt on Synth reddit is the ones from Korg direct on Reverb especially have an unusually high rate of faulty screens. The speculation is that Korg stored them in such a way as to get the OLED screens too hot for too long, leading to excessive dimming and failures (which would make them then doing a fire sale to clear inventory hella unethical if true), or there was a QC issue that seems to be affecting especially a certain run of units. However, some have older firmware versions with faulty screens too, so who knows. Thing is, this wasn't talked about as a general issue affecting OpSixes on the net before this recent fire sale. Now, another wrinkle is they seemingly sold MANY MANY MANY units during this sale (in stock number would get down into the sub-100 then suddenly back up into the 400+, apparently not just one time either) so it's possible that we're seeing a drastically higher sample size suddenly also and many silent happy buyers.

There's also talk that Korg claims that parts to service this screen are not available, and are refusing to RMA them directly but instead referring people to repair centers. I dunno about that, just read it, again shady if true I think.

Worth keeping in mind also: at Guitar Center and MF, at least, these are sort of "secretly" clearance. I never saw the word Clearance at any point from browsing to them to adding to cart to checking out, but some have discussed it in chat with MF support directly and they've said this is a clearance item, it will be subject to clearance rules. I think that means no voluntary returns, though I -believe- that they still accept returns if a unit arrives defective, based on some prior experiences with them buying clearance stuff and getting it refunded because it didn't work right - that's my own experience, not reddit talk, FWIW.

Also it's generally accepted that the keybeds on them feel pretty cheap. I mean it is what it is, I have MIDI controllers and I just want the OpSix keys to work well enough that I can play on them, not super precious about quality there (would it be nice if it were good? of course) but at the price the priority for me is that it works not that it's luxurious. I've got my fingers crossed that when I get mine in, screen lights up bright n' pretty and I can rejoice, because the sound samples I've heard from this are really impressive as a fan of the Yamaha-style FM synthesis - it seems to start there and go really cool places that the DX-7 could not.

They seem to be fully sold out everywhere now though.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 12, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Armacham posted:

I don't even play piano or have need for a synth, but even I kind of want one at that price.
Lol
That should be the thread title for the synth thread.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Lol
That should be the thread title for the synth thread.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

dual neutron assembled

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Opened the Opsix I got from Korg's Reverb shop a few days ago and the screen seems fine. Now to figure out how to use this thing.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm such a nerd I just bought a couple of Krohn Hite filters to add to my wacky setup.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

petit choux posted:

I'm such a nerd I just bought a couple of Krohn Hite filters to add to my wacky setup.

:sickos:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

my life isn't going to get any cheaper as a result of any of this :allears:

CatBlack posted:

dual neutron assembled

this looks great and I did not know they made Neutron in non-firetruck-red. Now I really want one :allears:. Or two. Or four.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

widefault posted:

Mel9 owner here. I run my guitar into then split the signal using the wet and dry outputs. The wet signal goes through a volume pedal and it rejoins the little mixer at the end of my chain. Nothing like playing guitar and then bringing a cello or full orchestra backing up gradually behind you and watching people in the audience do a "WTF?!" face

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cabbages and Kings posted:

my life isn't going to get any cheaper as a result of any of this :allears:

Nice, PNW is hands down the most useful and flexible module I have. It does so many things!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I only own this because a friend sent it in exchange for a $170 donation to charity once I test it to make sure it all actually works but :staredog: -- A&H Xone4D, since I see I covered that up

credit-card sized arturia thing for scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3VZ6IRrVlI&t=43s
"They told me it was big, but, I didn't expect it to be BIG! It's ENORMOUS! It's GIGANTIC!"

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 18, 2022

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I found a bluguitar Amp1 on eBay from a user who appears to do the storage locker clearance thing and couldn’t/wouldn’t garuntee that it even worked beyond powering on.

I took a chance on a lowball offer and it appears to work fine apart from the foot switches being sticky and a bit of grime.

It sounds amazing, it’s the thing I’ve always wanted from modellers and SS amps- the thing that sounds like a tube amp but isn’t. Supposedly this has a lot to do with how the speaker load is interacting with the single tube in the power section or something. But it’s super full bodied sounding and works great as a power amp for a helix too.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Agreed posted:

I got an RC-300 at a great price second hand at my favorite local shop. I'm looping, pals, I'm really looping now. Sent the EHX 720 back for being unnecessary and limiting by way of comparison. I know newer tech has somewhat better audio (this is 44.1khz/16-bit, sounds fine to me), and allows 5-6 simultaneous tracks whereas this has 3, but I made a whole song on the spot in store with the three track and its built in percussion generator and had people listening in, it was a lot of fun and I think I'm going to be really happy with this for less than half the price of one of those newer units with so many tracks (even used).

LOOPS

Bought from Key West Pawn LOL. Great bargain. This generation of hardware is like the most "built like a tank" Boss ever got, and that is plenty sturdy. I could bludgeon somebody to death with this and then go on playing. ED: easily.

It's got MIDI in and out, I really want to see what it can do.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Nice, Boss still has the manual out there too. Some nice light reading material for later. My ME-80 is similarly sturdy, and I should really read up on that thing too. Still don’t know how to use the patches. :(

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Quick pic before I go back to work

Hondo HDLP-2N or HD740-N. So far awesome, but...
- non-original bridge pickup, need to take it apart to see what it is
- missing pickguard
- KInda heavy, but not too heavy when it comes to Les Pauls
- top is bent plywood, so it's hollow underneath

The good
- still has the original neck DiMarzio
- two piece body, I have sen these with pancake bodies where each section was 3-4 pieces of wood.

widefault fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

petit choux posted:

Bought from Key West Pawn LOL. Great bargain. This generation of hardware is like the most "built like a tank" Boss ever got, and that is plenty sturdy. I could bludgeon somebody to death with this and then go on playing. ED: easily.

It's got MIDI in and out, I really want to see what it can do.

Hell yeah, :hfive: Boss looper that could easily double as a bludgeon and still work fine after buddy!

I love this thing, I hope you enjoy yours also. You know it actually has slightly better tech specs in terms of the conversion? RC-50 is 24-bit/44.1KHz, RC-300 is 16-bit/44.1KHz, but then the RC-300 will do 3 hours stereo which is a bit better. (Of course the newer ones do ridiculous amounts of time and have 32-bit conversion, well, what can ya do, you couldn't run over those with a tour bus and still use them I bet :D)

A few recent gets, got me smiling pals:

First, I got an Agile Septor 827 - 8 string, 27 inch scale. I had it set up yesterday and it plays great. The stock pickup installation was badly done, to be honest, it had two offset pieces of hard foam under the pickups and the screws were way down smushing the foam so they were very far from the strings. Tech replaced that with a more standard spring assembly and got 'em into an ideal range to actually pick up the vibration, muuuuch better. Frankly better than I expected, these 8 string ones with "Cepheus" in-house branding actually sound quite good.

Here's a couple photos alongside that Agile Ghost III (my first ever post in this thread, once upon a time):

And, years after I had to sell my two Openhaus pedals that I stuck out the wait list for both times back when that was a thing (4 years for the first one and 3 for the second), I'm back in business with a pair of Toneczars! He builds to order these days, bout 2 months for these. Ed insisted I have a "real" power supply, and was adamant that the Dunlop 18V switching supplies that replaced their older wall warts are poo poo and can cause noise in high gain circuits - thankfully I found the 4x4 for an absolute steal locally and it's doing light duty powering these two, fan never even kicks on. The 2022 Openhaus sounds sick as hell, and the OTP is my favorite fuzz ever.

Gonna be back for a Dove and a Vault if the IRS will ever give me my god drat tax return :argh:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 18, 2022