Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ilmucche posted:

Is double masters a fun draft? Got invited to draft it next week

Yes. It promotes four color jank which automatically makes it fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I played kitchen table brawl with my 2x2 box last night and it was a lot of fun. There are just so many good cards that you have more viable options than you need, even in a singleton format. And it's cool that I got a bunch of playable cards in really pretty borderless. I think im going to buy all of those as singles, at least the ones under $1.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ilmucche posted:

Is double masters a fun draft? Got invited to draft it next week

make sure to draft 3 double lands, run 18/22 with either red or black as one of the three colors

imo RGU is the best because you get two chances at opening a dragon

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 13, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Cool. Could be fun then. I have no idea how to draft

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Cool. Could be fun then. I have no idea how to draft

Take two cards and pass.
Then take one and pass until the pack is empty.
Repeat for each pack.
Then just go home, nothing can prepare you for the horror that comes next

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I hate the pixar rear end artstyle and that they keep using development budget on stuff that isn't, ya know, the actual game we all want to play

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Put that money in another 3 set releases per year.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If that game isn’t developed by a noname partner dev house I’ll eat my timetwister.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the story stuff happening in the leadup to dominaria united is pretty intense

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/episode-1-echoes-dark-2022-08-10
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/episode-2-sand-hourglass-2022-08-11
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/episode-3-locked-tower-2022-08-12

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/homecoming-2022-08-12

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I can only hope that unlike the New Cappena story this one actually has a proper ending and not with the cards showing something completely different.

Right now it's basically Aliens and The Thing meaning it's pretty loving awesome. Sucks that Ajani is going to gank Jaya and Karn is still going to royally gently caress this up necessitating him going back to 1955 to make sure his parents meet and have that first kiss. I could also see Teferi sacrificing himself to just phase out New Phyrexia and himself with it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the stories are interesting but Hyde's prose feels... clunky? there are phases and sentences that read very well but the exposition breaks up the flow. and some of the action reads very flat. I wonder if it's a marvel movie situation where they're given explicit story beats to follow, with heavy editing from the ghostwriter story masters at wotc, so there's just no room for creative expression. mcguire's reads a lot better by comparison though it's just a one-off

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

There was a weird bit in the first one where it read to me like Jhoira could literally hear Karn’s inner monologue, and because this is a world full of magical spells I wasn’t sure if she actually could.

But to me most recent MTG writing has felt like reading someone describing an advert they have seen. I suppose that’s more or less exactly what it is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ah, good old Mairsil.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I was kind of disappointed that after over a dozen years magic storyline’s longest held mystery of the raven man’s identity was revealed just like that. Here’s a book about me I don’t care just come back to dominaria . Big letdown. At least make it some sort of big revelation idk.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jiro posted:

I can only hope that unlike the New Cappena story this one actually has a proper ending and not with the cards showing something completely different.

Doesn't the set timeline say the next two sets are going to have an epilogue event whatever that means, seems like they have more substantial plans for this than New Capenna

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Depopulate has New Capenna being totally destroyed, but it's non canon or something?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

If I sacrifice a creature with Bloodflow Connoisseur, does it count as the creature dying? Like if I have Marchesa, the Black Rose out and the sacced creature had a +1 counter, does it get to come back at the end step?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

big cummers ONLY posted:

If I sacrifice a creature with Bloodflow Connoisseur, does it count as the creature dying? Like if I have Marchesa, the Black Rose out and the sacced creature had a +1 counter, does it get to come back at the end step?

yep, dying is shorthand for 'goes to the graveyard from the battlefield' so it counts sacrifices or any other way that happens to a creature

note that token creatures do die, they just don't get to exist in a zone other than the battlefield so Marchesa's effect wouldn't be able to bring them back if it successfully triggered off a token

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Aphrodite posted:

Depopulate has New Capenna being totally destroyed, but it's non canon or something?

it's kinda tradition, many sets need sweepers but don't want to kill everyone in the story so the sweepers get ignored

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I was kind of disappointed that after over a dozen years magic storyline’s longest held mystery of the raven man’s identity was revealed just like that. Here’s a book about me I don’t care just come back to dominaria . Big letdown. At least make it some sort of big revelation idk.

don't really know how they could do it different from a plot standpoint assuming that the raven man was always going to be _________Lim-Dûl__________. they could have made it a longer series of stories but idk what a few more chapters would do to improve the reveal itself.

every big revelation is a letdown. the mystery is always grander in the mind than the answer.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
iirc the story thing with new capenna that people get annoyed about is that the written story stopped before all the angels got freed from their imprisonment within the statues, while the set itself is covered in angels. it would've fit better if it was a two-block set or similar with one dedicated to before the angels were freed and one after, but instead they got mushed together and you ended up with a setting with angels long gone that mechanically has more angel cards in it than demons

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Capenna is such a mediocre set. How do you make an Art Deco Demon Gangsters set this bland?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

whydirt posted:

Capenna is such a mediocre set. How do you make an Art Deco Demon Gangsters set this bland?

Hey, it has given us some great Flavor Judge cards! Like witness protection!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

whydirt posted:

You don't allow guns, and then the moment doesn't allow you to make one of the fringe families cops.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
also you make a 3 color environment but actually all the best cards cost 1W

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I liked New Capenna a fair amount. I don’t follow the story but I like the theming a lot, and PFB, Ledger Shredder, and Offer are all cool cards.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I thought SNC was a lot of fun and certainly more fun than NEO, which apparently everyone in the world liked but I couldn't stomach.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

quote:

113.1b An ability can be something that a player has that changes how the game affects the player. A player normally has no abilities unless granted to that player by effects.

What's an example of this? Planeswalker emblems?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Poz posted:

Conspiracies, too, I think. Probably statuses like having the initiative or being the monarch as well.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Dr. Poz posted:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

also you make a 3 color environment but actually all the best cards cost 1W

This is one of the complaints LSV threw out there during one of his streams. New Cap was the first three color set where the best decks in the limited format were all two color.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Arivia posted:

Conspiracies, too, I think. Probably statuses like having the initiative or being the monarch as well.

Curses would count to, right?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Curses would count to, right?

I don't think any do. I haven't checked though.
You're looking for the word "has" or "have"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I found my fiance's old Ball Lightning deck, which made her nostalgic and wanting a burn deck. So I looked up Modern burn. This next statement isn't news to anyone else except me, but the main deck is like $50 (minus a few things like Eidolon) and the manabase is about $450. It's funny how Pauper burn is mostly the same spells, yet is hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LifeLynx posted:

I found my fiance's old Ball Lightning deck, which made her nostalgic and wanting a burn deck. So I looked up Modern burn. This next statement isn't news to anyone else except me, but the main deck is like $50 (minus a few things like Eidolon) and the manabase is about $450. It's funny how Pauper burn is mostly the same spells, yet is hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Just buy proxy’s

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dr. Poz posted:

Planechase probably as well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fadam posted:

I liked New Capenna a fair amount. I don’t follow the story but I like the theming a lot, and PFB, Ledger Shredder, and Offer are all cool cards.

It's a pretty boring limited format. I expect way more from wedge sets from a limited perspective.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I watched some folks draft KTK flashback on MTGO recently and it just seems like that was so much better at being a 3 color set and enabling cool things vs what we got in SNC. I was on magic hiatus at when KTK was current but it's wild to see how far off SNC is from that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
KTK was an all timer format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm kind of amazed at how much of a failure SNC is as a three color format. WOTC has experience making formats three color and encouraging that, and yet being a three or more color deck is so obviously a detriment in this format, surely WOTC was aware of that? The limited format gets play tested, at least somewhat, and that would have been borne out in the testing right?

Color balance is one thing, but completely missing the mark in terms of being a guild vs. three color format is kind of unforgivable, no?