Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

pwn posted:

Haven't bought a lot lately but this lovely showed up today

Waited until I found a copy for about $32 shipped. The old patience game pays off again

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

2DCAT posted:

Got this sweet new vinyl in the mail from a little known artist :wink:

Hey, I want to dl a few of your albums, you have any favorites?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

petit choux posted:

Hey, I want to dl a few of your albums, you have any favorites?

Weeks Where Decades Happen is usually as far back as we play for live shows, and between that and the upcoming Fantastic Voyage vinyl, you're basically covered across most of the stuff that is "good" imo

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

H*ck yeah...

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1558557555810525184

Disc 2 is pretty badly warped. Side 4 isn't playable, if I let it go it starts to skip.

Who was it that knew someone who was offering flattening services? Was it in another forum? I would be happy to take a chance.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

H*ck yeah...

Disc 2 is pretty badly warped. Side 4 isn't playable, if I let it go it starts to skip.

Who was it that knew someone who was offering flattening services? Was it in another forum? I would be happy to take a chance.

You can't return it? You might try the Needles & Grooves forum. I know people there have had varying levels of success with flattening.

Just want to say thanks to anyone who takes the time to listen to my shows. Seeing them chart gives me the little dopamine hit that I crave.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

H*ck yeah...

Needles and Grooves has some volunteers who offer vinyl flattening services.

They're good people, they've helped me with a couple of warps in the past.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

Needles and Grooves has some volunteers who offer vinyl flattening services.

They're good people, they've helped me with a couple of warps in the past.

Thank you! I guess it's time to make an account on another forum, yeehaw.

sporklift posted:

You can't return it? You might try the Needles & Grooves forum. I know people there have had varying levels of success with flattening.

Just want to say thanks to anyone who takes the time to listen to my shows. Seeing them chart gives me the little dopamine hit that I crave.

Eh, it was from a record shop, and it was sealed. Plus it's from a label in the UK (Chocodog) so it won't be easy to replace. I don't really wanna bother them to return it if there's a chance I can fix it. If it was Amazon or whatever I'd return it in a heartbeat.

I will listen to the new show on my walk tomorrow night :thumbsup:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
What the...

The e-girls must be getting desperate...

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Arcella posted:

What the...

Lol

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
E-girls trying to attract interest via discogs are going to come to severely regret that move.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The double lol is I got the same message from the same username too. Hopefully discogs isn't compromised and some one just expended too much effort on advertising a cam site.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

E-girls trying to attract interest via discogs are going to come to severely regret that move.

Wait, you mean women aren't looking for men who are like vinyl - heavy weight virgins in a thick jacket who keep away from the sun?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wait, you mean women aren't looking for men who are like vinyl - heavy weight virgins in a thick jacket who keep away from the sun?

Don't doxx me.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

recent pick ups and deliveries:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Axe the Whitney Houston and that's a great haul.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the record with greatest love of all and how will i know? axe that? disagree

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Arcella posted:

What the...

Yup, I got the same thing, and so did a friend

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I went back to report it as spam and it was gone from my inbox so Discogs must have gone through and nuked it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

Finishing it up now, lovely as always. Closer is crackly af :cool:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Arcella posted:

I went back to report it as spam and it was gone from my inbox so Discogs must have gone through and nuked it.

Missed a chance for a meaningful connection with a lovely young lady IMO

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Finishing it up now, lovely as always. Closer is crackly af :cool:

Haha. Yeah that's a crispy one. Just shy of being too much but for some stuff I dig it. Thanks for checking it out.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Not that I've ever seen anything about them here, but smog veil records just sent me their last newsletter, saying the owner wasn't paying them and they were making sure the workers get paid and closing up shop.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Boinks posted:

:thumbsup:

Where do you rank Billy Cobham?

Or Art Blakey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBH-6CJYdJ4

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
VMP's offerings don't usually tempt me, but the reissue of Jailbreak was too much to resist:

And with it the greatest sticker I have ever received with an album purchase:

pwn
May 27, 2004

petit choux posted:

Not that I've ever seen anything about them here, but smog veil records just sent me their last newsletter, saying the owner wasn't paying them and they were making sure the workers get paid and closing up shop.

Please post the newsletter!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Also have another Discogs order from Japan coming in but who knows when it'll get here.

E: the Patrice Rushen I took a hit on the sleeve condition for a very nice condition record. A bit of dust on the lead-in (?) groove but very nice otherwise.

Arcella fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 15, 2022

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

New Mountain Goats on deck!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

McCoy Pauley posted:

VMP's offerings don't usually tempt me, but the reissue of Jailbreak was too much to resist:

Glad you like it man. Thanks for making me go through my trash! I missed the sticker!!!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Arcella posted:

Also have another Discogs order from Japan coming in but who knows when it'll get here.

2-3 months, minimum.

still waiting on some Limp Bizkit

pwn
May 27, 2004

I ordered a camera from japan on the 1st and it arrived via DHL on the 5th. Y'all should use DHL for your nerd poo poo from Japan

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

my discogs seller wouldnt use anything else besides one service.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I paid a ton for DHL on a different order and got it in like a week, so in conclusion, Japan is a land of contrasts.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

midge posted:

Glad you like it man. Thanks for making me go through my trash! I missed the sticker!!!

My kids always take the stickers that come with album purchases and put them on their laptops, but I snagged this one for myself.

God this album is great. It keeps feeling like it should be descend into silliness and Lynott doesn't let it. It just sound great -- like how I want songs to sound. I love it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's the start of everything awesome about that band although the previous album, Fighting, is loving solid as well. Everything earlier is very rough but they honed their sound around Fighting/Jailbreak. That album is so loving good though - solid start to finish. They don't really let up until about Renegade which again is solid start to finish. Thunder and Lightning is very rough - almost metal but these were the final years of Lynott's addiction. Lynott's first solo album, Solo in Soho is worth a listen too.

Thin Lizzy is easily one of the most underrated bands in rock. People think they are only for Jailbreak and Boys... plus Whiskey but 3/4 of their catalogue is solid loving gold. Johnny the Fox and Bad Reputation are killer records - if you've never listened to anything past Jailbreak you owe it to yourself to explore those albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwI00Udvu5E

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

It's the start of everything awesome about that band although the previous album, Fighting, is loving solid as well. Everything earlier is very rough but they honed their sound around Fighting/Jailbreak. That album is so loving good though - solid start to finish. They don't really let up until about Renegade which again is solid start to finish. Thunder and Lightning is very rough - almost metal but these were the final years of Lynott's addiction. Lynott's first solo album, Solo in Soho is worth a listen too.

Thin Lizzy is easily one of the most underrated bands in rock. People think they are only for Jailbreak and Boys... plus Whiskey but 3/4 of their catalogue is solid loving gold. Johnny the Fox and Bad Reputation are killer records - if you've never listened to anything past Jailbreak you owe it to yourself to explore those albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwI00Udvu5E

My best bud in college used to say (back in the 80s) that if there's a good metal band it's Thin Lizzie. In the context of what had been published up till that time in the 80s, I'd still agree. I always had a pretty high regard for his musical tastes.

pwn posted:

Please post the newsletter!

We hear and we obey:

quote:

Friends, fans, and associated rockers:

As you may recall, after years of bringing you the best, sometimes most obscure, and deeply researched music and stories of underground Cleveland, we felt we had reached some sort of plateau and decided to close the business.
While by and large this has been a positive experience for us, we were informed today by the label’s bank that our distributor, Amped Distribution/Alliance Entertainment has failed to pay us since mid-April of this year.
What that means in real terms is that, despite repeated written demands to the company to honor its obligations, we never saw any revenues after April 2022 for what was sold, even the meager digital monies that somehow was enough through the years to keep our lights turned on. You may have noticed that some of your favorite Smog Veil releases are no longer available for download or stream—well, we couldn’t continue a situation where fans are paying for the music and Amped Distribution/Alliance Entertainment isn’t paying the label.
Fortunately, we managed our past revenues in such a way that all the bands and licensors and everyone who worked for us were paid in a timely manner. Luckily in years past we had some amazing distributors who always paid us: Revolver, Forced Exposure, Get Hip to name a few. Entertainment One paid us every penny owed in a timely manner. But, since Amped Distribution/Alliance Entertainment failed to pay us, we weren’t able to pay ourselves.
Never fear, we’ve moved on to new challenges and new businesses, albeit, outside of independent music. We’ll be fine.
But, this has reiterated a very important lesson: support your local musicians and favorite bands, your favorite record shops, the local club owner, and have fun collecting records or streaming if that floats your boat. Independent record labels need your help and understanding of the hustle that labels have to go through just to have normal business practices. A recent tweet from Michaela (I withheld the last name) perfectly encapsulates this issue:
“Every musician I know who's out touring, releasing records & looking like their careers are going great...when we talk 1 on 1, every single one shares how financially, emotionally, logistically stressful & challenging it really is behind the scenes...I personally think the only way to keep on keeping on is through honesty & community.”

That’s a lesson apparently Amped/Alliance Entertainment hasn’t learned.

Thanks everyone again for the support through the years, keep on rocking!

Frank/Smog Veil Records

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I also have a rock opera that the guy from Thin Lizzie performed in.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Arcella posted:

E: the Patrice Rushen I took a hit on the sleeve condition for a very nice condition record. A bit of dust on the lead-in (?) groove but very nice otherwise.

I'm not familiar with most of this but Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret is an amazing album and everyone here should get a copy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Fighting is far and away my favorite Thin Lizzy record, but they've got a whole stack of good ones.

Hell, Cold Sweat (off Thunder and Lightning) is possibly my favorite song they've ever done, it absolutely rips

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Bad Reputation and Life/Live are loving fire.

petit choux posted:

I also have a rock opera that the guy from Thin Lizzie performed in.

Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds is also, very much, fuego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

McCoy Pauley posted:

I’m cautiously optimistic to say the quality control of VMP has gotten… better? In recent months.

I still think most of their pricing is too expensive but they hooked me back with a recent promotion that gave me $150 in store credit if I re-subscribed for a full year. I went with Gravediggaz for the first month over Thin Liszt and aside from some minor surface noise near the end of side C/D it’s really superb.