Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ghosthorse posted:

The Assassination of Barry B Benson by the Coward Douglas Ford

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

pokeyman posted:

probably a stupid question, but it does feel like we need some fairly radical rethink about health care, or at least how to pay for it? it can't keep making up an increasing proportion of budgets or we'll do nothing else

obviously privatization is not the answer, health care should be free and universally fully accessible (and even if you're willing to compromise on that, private costs more). does health care just become 80+% of every province's budget?

or maybe that's the right numerator and we bump the denominator instead by increasing revenue

its fuckin moronic that healthcare is a provincial thing anyway. it should be a single unified national health service, doctors and staff as federal public salaried employees.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

the bee would have been sorry if he had his tiny shovel with him

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mila kunis posted:

its fuckin moronic that healthcare is a provincial thing anyway. it should be a single unified national health service, doctors and staff as federal public salaried employees.

We have a deliberately weak Federal government and in the time since then Western Canada has absorbed insane American culture and now sees rebelling against the Federal government as a regional value.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Frosted Flake posted:

We have a deliberately weak Federal government and in the time since then Western Canada has absorbed insane American culture and now sees rebelling against the Federal government as a regional value.

Canada was founded to have a strong central government because the elites were looking at the US breaking apart and saying “let’s not do that.” It’s just that healthcare at the time was seen as not that important (and possibly one of those church-adjacent things like education, where the point of confederation was to let the secular anglos and ultramontanist francos do their separate things).

Or, at least, that’s how I remember learning it.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

I would prefer that the fate of all our healthcare be subject to the whims of a government elected by ~37% of us, with no recourse from any other level of government

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
that bee thing is going to make Doug more popular for sure

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Are we certain that comrade bee is dead? Maybe they're pining their time, ready to burst thru like Alien

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Buck-a-bee'r

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Are we certain that comrade bee is dead? Maybe they're pining their time, ready to burst thru like Alien

Keep watching until after the credits, there's usually a stinger.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lmaoooo

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Bee tier premiere

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ontario is open for beesn-

no, nevermind.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

inshallah

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
that bee is still alive, I am sure. I am a beeliever

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

mila kunis posted:

also god help you if you're somehow uninsured (like a new immigrant, or someone who opted out to save $20/mo in premiums like BC used to allow)

our health care system is absolutely profiteering garbage, just with public insurance slapped on to take away the worst of it.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Crow Buddy posted:

I would prefer that the fate of all our healthcare be subject to the whims of a government elected by ~37% of us, with no recourse from any other level of government

where does the funding for healthcare come from? doesn't it require constant cash injections and moronic constant negotiations between the federal and provincial government anyway? its a joke of a system to leave it up to podunk provincial governments to administer it, have multiple competing systems, have a mess of private services that keep inflating costs because profit motive, constantly beg for funding, have to issue and raise debt to be able to pay for it, and then cry and justify slashing spending because "the deficit!!"

i mean its a pipe dream but as long as we're dreaming i would prefer that our healthcare is baked institutionally into the system as a constitutional public right at a federal level with the government left helpless to privatize or defund it if the bad guys get in without overwhelming majorities.

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 11:40 on Aug 13, 2022

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Woulda been funny if the bee 9/11ed doug ford but canada sucks too much

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I'm pretty sure wasps eat bees all the time anyway

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Crow Buddy posted:

That's why it shouldn't be provincial tyvm

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Either way it’s the Toronto suburbs deciding elections, it’s just a question of do we want them voting in Tories who will get rid of healthcare federally or provincially.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

fisting by many posted:

also god help you if you're somehow uninsured (like a new immigrant, or someone who opted out to save $20/mo in premiums like BC used to allow)

our health care system is absolutely profiteering garbage, just with public insurance slapped on to take away the worst of it.

Hi, it's me, a new immigrant who had a sinus infection chain combo into an upper respiratory infection (not covid) and Maple took 80 bucks to tell me to go to a hospital because I had shortness of breath! No antibiotics because I had only been hacking up green poo poo for 7 days and not 10. The doctor said no clinics would see me and my husband confirmed that, as I guess there's no payment terminals? wild

anyhow I did not go to the hospital and two weeks after am almost ok enough to go to the store for groceries

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Either way it’s the Toronto suburbs deciding elections, it’s just a question of do we want them voting in Tories who will get rid of healthcare federally or provincially.

fwiw those suburbs have been slowly turning liberal/NDP with young people getting priced out of Toronto and having to leave, myself included. Not that it's exactly showing up provincially yet, but the last provincial election had hilariously low turnout.

mila kunis posted:

i mean its a pipe dream but as long as we're dreaming i would prefer that our healthcare is baked institutionally into the system as a constitutional public right at a federal level with the government left helpless to privatize or defund it if the bad guys get in without overwhelming majorities.

It's not a constitutional right, but the Canada Health Act does exist. But yeah, I don't think any social democrats who were instrumental in setting up public health care imagined that the system would be mangled by privatization-through-public-private-partnerships. Socialize the costs, privatize the profits.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 17:34 on Aug 13, 2022

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Pyrtanis posted:

Hi, it's me, a new immigrant who had a sinus infection chain combo into an upper respiratory infection (not covid) and Maple took 80 bucks to tell me to go to a hospital because I had shortness of breath! No antibiotics because I had only been hacking up green poo poo for 7 days and not 10. The doctor said no clinics would see me and my husband confirmed that, as I guess there's no payment terminals? wild

anyhow I did not go to the hospital and two weeks after am almost ok enough to go to the store for groceries

This all sucks but I've never heard of a clinic without payment terminals. There are fees for things like doctors notes and missed appointments that need to be paid at the desk sometimes.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
might depend on the province?

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

run on sentience posted:

This all sucks but I've never heard of a clinic without payment terminals. There are fees for things like doctors notes and missed appointments that need to be paid at the desk sometimes.

I'm in Alberta, fwiw, and I'm kinda incredulous about it but the explanation given was that since clinics here are public they only charge the govt and can't be used for private stuff. Idk I'm from the States and I've used Maple to get antibiotics for a UTI which worked great, but can't use it for anything else I guess

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pyrtanis posted:

I'm in Alberta, fwiw, and I'm kinda incredulous about it but the explanation given was that since clinics here are public they only charge the govt and can't be used for private stuff. Idk I'm from the States and I've used Maple to get antibiotics for a UTI which worked great, but can't use it for anything else I guess

yeah alberta has tons of user fees and stuff.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

mila kunis posted:

where does the funding for healthcare come from? doesn't it require constant cash injections and moronic constant negotiations between the federal and provincial government anyway? its a joke of a system to leave it up to podunk provincial governments to administer it, have multiple competing systems, have a mess of private services that keep inflating costs because profit motive, constantly beg for funding, have to issue and raise debt to be able to pay for it, and then cry and justify slashing spending because "the deficit!!"

If the provincial governments are podunk in your mind, I would be interested to hear where you think the Federal government of Canada sits on that spectrum.

I also would love to have it constitutionally protected to but that isn't ever happening. The various governments needing to negotiate and fight over it keeps it from being a unilateral decision made by any one person. Obvious this sucks for Ontario at the moment, but in a few year when Doug Ford (or Michael) is PM of Canada, what possible reason would I want him controlling my healthcare?

evilpicard posted:

That's why it shouldn't be provincial tyvm

Why? 37% doesn't get you a majority in my province, but does federally.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Who was it that said that Romana Didulo's whole thing is an RCMP honeypot? She made threats, got investigated by the mounties and nothing happened. I'm inclined to believe it. Anyway, her supporters are still up to their old poo poo.

CW: Shrieking woman.

https://twitter.com/CarymaRules/status/1558547679411683329

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/JortsTheCat/status/1558634861551685632

hey cool that's the BC equivalent of my union striking for the same reasons my union is negotiating on monday for haha aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Crow Buddy posted:

Why? 37% doesn't get you a majority in my province, but does federally.

Just looking at Ontario:

1990 NDP majority, 37%
2011 one seat short of a Liberal majority, 37%
2014 Liberal majority with 38%

COPE 27 has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Aug 14, 2022

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

evilpicard posted:

Just looking at Ontario:

1990 NDP majority, 37%
2011 one seat short of a Liberal majority, 37%

You realize Ontario is not the only province in this country right?

e: I ask the probable Ontario resident.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah it's 1/3 of the country though also I don't know as much about other provinces and I don't feel like scrolling through wikipedia 13 times

e: Also CAAQs won 2018 majority with 37% of the vote

COPE 27 has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Aug 14, 2022

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

evilpicard posted:

Yeah it's 1/3 of the country though also I don't know as much about other provinces and I don't feel like scrolling through wikipedia 13 times

e: Also CAAQs won 2018 majority with 37% of the vote

Well, let's assume for your arguments sake that Ontario IS the only province. If you are worried about the provincial conservative government of the day getting 37% and privatizing your healthcare, perhaps you can explain the improvement you envision by replacing that with a Federal conservative government getting 37% and doing the same thing.

Where is the improvement?

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

Danaru posted:

https://twitter.com/JortsTheCat/status/1558634861551685632

hey cool that's the BC equivalent of my union striking for the same reasons my union is negotiating on monday for haha aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Good for them and good luck to you. I hope they get what they're striking for and that gives your union some leverage.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

2021 Nova Scotia PC majority with 38% of the vote
2017 Nova Scotia lib majority with 39% of the vote
2003 Nova Scotia PC majority with 36%

2018 New Brunswick Liberal majority with 37%

2019 PEI PCs 1 seat short of a majority with 36%

1978 Yukon party wins majority with 37% of the vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My point is that the provinces are no more democratic than the feds but they are able to kill public health care with 1000 cuts without paying a price electorially because the politcal responsibility for it is so diffused