Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

It's specifically things that count as ingredients in the inventory system. So things like raw vegetables, salt and pepper, raw fruits. Sauce isn't an ingredient under this system, nor is butter or cheese, but milk is.

So you couldn't just make a bowl of cereal for the morning? It just instantly turns into a pile of censored and maybe twitching food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Brought To You By posted:

So you couldn't just make a bowl of cereal for the morning? It just instantly turns into a pile of censored and maybe twitching food?

There's two options, somehow pouring milk into cereal is beyond you and you get a bowl of ashes somehow, or you actually have cooking skill and you get a bowl of cereal. If you instead used the menu on the cereal box you'd get a bowl of what looks like cereal and milk but tastes like wet cardboard.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kwyndig posted:

There's two options, somehow pouring milk into cereal is beyond you and you get a bowl of ashes somehow, or you actually have cooking skill and you get a bowl of cereal. If you instead used the menu on the cereal box you'd get a bowl of what looks like cereal and milk but tastes like wet cardboard.

Jackard posted:

They can still add salt and pepper? What about other things like sauce or butter? Cheese on a cracker? This plot point seems dumber the closer you look at it.

there's no cereal in the world. just simple ingredients/grown stuff. you would have to make the cereal from scratch first. if you want butter, then you need to churn it.

anyway, the main takeaway from the chef discovery is that as long as you have enough skill, know how to do it for real and doubly making sure you don't ever use the command then you can make real things and then eventually, actually invent stuff that wasn't ever in the game. this is applied to every tradecraft subclass including direct examples from blacksmithing and scribe.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 8, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Jackard posted:

They can still add salt and pepper? What about other things like sauce or butter? Cheese on a cracker? This plot point seems dumber the closer you look at it.

How'd you get sauce, butter or cheese? Those are all processed foodstuffs.

EVIL Gibson posted:

there's no cereal in the world. just ingredients/grown stuff. you would have to make the cereal from scratch first.

anyway, the main takeaway from the chef discovery is that as long as you have enough skill, know how to do it for real and doubly making sure you don't ever use the command then you can make real things and then eventually, actually invent stuff that wasn't ever in the game.

This is how Shiroe abuses the hell out of his subclass.
Well for most professions the menu-produced stuff is fine if you just want a basic product or component. It's when you want to innovate that you gotta do it yourself. The main issue with food is that "flavor" isn't really a thing that an MMO tracks.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 8, 2022

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Kyte posted:

They could probably get that from the People of the Land (NPCs) if push came to shove. I forgot if their food tasted bad, too.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kyte posted:

Those are cooking ingredients in several mmos. Gonna stop thinking about this though,

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rudoku posted:

They could probably get that from the People of the Land (NPCs) if push came to shove. I forgot if their food tasted bad, too.

Yes, the NPCs food always tasted bad. When players showed how to make food with actual good taste it affected the way People of the Land saw food to the point that instead of growing the simplest stuff , they would change their crops to be wide and varied.

The best substory is later in the show about "the 42". One bard can't figure out why the People of the Land pack the tavern to listen to her. Then when she finishes they become so emotional as if they heard the best performance ever. She doesn't even play anything good. One of her party members says what she is doing is unbelievable to the NPCs. She is playing a song not of the 42.

42 refers to the number of songs NPCs knew/programmed to play. They cannot create more or even modify them. Hearing a song not of those original 42 songs is like saying here's a new color you can see now.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Kyte posted:

There was also the secondary issue that most people could not really handle the transition from "fighting monsters on a screen" to "I am personally stabbing that thing in the head" so there was a huge population of combat-specced characters who wouldn't bring themselves to do the one thing they could do, which would contribute to their depression.
And there was body dysphoria to boot.

I remember this was briefly touched on in the first or second episode, tho I feel there are a lot of important small plot-points that were zoomed over in the adaptation. I haven't read the LN or manga, so I'm sure when I do go back and read the source material after that'll back-fill me on missed points.

Edit: Just watched episode 20 Rudy and Isuzu are the cutest ship and I hope they end up living happily ever after.

Jomo fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 8, 2022

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

The best substory is later in the show about "the 42". One bard can't figure out why the People of the Land pack the tavern to listen to her. Then when she finishes they become so emotional as if they heard the best performance ever. She doesn't even play anything good. One of her party members says what she is doing is unbelievable to the NPCs. She is playing a song not of the 42.

42 refers to the number of songs NPCs knew/programmed to play. They cannot create more or even modify them. Hearing a song not of those original 42 songs is like saying here's a new color you can see now.

Just finished Season 2 because I apparently have to much time the last few days. 42 was good and I liked that this season explored those elements of the real world colliding with one set-in-stone. Also: Kanami being a mom IRL and her and Shiro just being platonic friends. Funnily enough that happened to me when I was playing Warframe; nothing earth-shattering there, but it's nice to see an anime treating adults as adults instead of forcing the MC into a harem-collector trope to catter to the more immature readers.

Also the land train was cool af.

Felt like they were forced to fit a lot of story arcs into this season, but think they did OK in managing the pace. Not sure why S2 gets dunked on so much from what I've read in the past. Again, I haven't read the LN so I could be missing critical points, but from a purely anime perspective it was fine.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
S2 is fine when you binge it I think, but week to week it sucked. I think they needed to blend the two main plots more instead of doing primarily one, then the other. They each had interesting and slow bits and the pacing was weird the way it was done. I re-watched it during quarantine and it was much better the second time when I knew where things were going. Plus I was looking forward to the crazy monologue from WILLIAM MASSACHUSETTS.

That was the other thing Log Horizon got right, people having stupid fuckin character names.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 10, 2022

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Also came here to ask, is there any isekai story about a Fortress of 1850s soldiers and support folks going to a fantasy world? A buddy was spinning up a setting for a trpg campaign and the premise sounded familiar (beyond general isekai) but can’t think of a specific thing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what, 1850 japan? that's an odd choice.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Fellis posted:

Also came here to ask, is there any isekai story about a Fortress of 1850s soldiers and support folks going to a fantasy world? A buddy was spinning up a setting for a trpg campaign and the premise sounded familiar (beyond general isekai) but can’t think of a specific thing

There was a western novel called Time's Eye (Arthur C Clarke and Stephen Bauxter) that had a bunch of people from different times, including a fort full of British soldiers and sepoys from around then, getting sent back into the past and fighting Genghis Khan. That's the only one that immediately occurs to me, though.

For what it's worth I don't think the book was as fun as it sounds.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what, 1850 japan? that's an odd choice.

1850’s is kind of a ballpark, he was specifically thinking a pre-USA Civil War army, but that time period is interesting all over the world

Bremen posted:

There was a western novel called Time's Eye (Arthur C Clarke and Stephen Bauxter) that had a bunch of people from different times, including a fort full of British soldiers and sepoys from around then, getting sent back into the past and fighting Genghis Khan. That's the only one that immediately occurs to me, though.

For what it's worth I don't think the book was as fun as it sounds.

Thanks! Shame it is likely not as fun as that does sound. I wish i could remember whatever is on the edge of my brain, i dont think it was specifically 1800’s people.

Might be Codex Alera’s general premise that the lost legion showed up in a fantasy world

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
clarke is never much fun, no.

Mouro
Mar 4, 2013

Fellis posted:

Maybe The Lost Regiment series? I never finished the first book, but I remember it had a American Civil War unit transported to a weird alternate world. I don't think it had any magic though.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Lost regiments in the mid-1800s, eh?

volume 2 now in stores!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, what is that called? That seems pretty wild.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Monolith. posted:

Log Horizon is good. That is all.

I still love this opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPBQ4BhzOY

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
Here we fuckin go, the long-awaited John Brown Isekai. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/5...ng-in-the-grave

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Copernic posted:

Here we fuckin go, the long-awaited John Brown Isekai. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/5...ng-in-the-grave

What's Royal Road, is it like a WN publisher for weebs?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
More like DeviantArt for webnovels. Lots of trash, but worthwhile stuff gets posted there sometimes too.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Saving The Other World From The Evil Of Slavery: The Devil Is My Enemy, And Also John Wilkes Booth

Vol.1: My body lies mouldering in the grave, but my soul is marching on in another world!?!
Vol.2: A mysterious regiment has joined the righteous battle!!!

It's not real, sorry.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

marshmallow creep posted:

it's called a photoshop because we can't have good things

edit: drat youuuuuuuuuuuu

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Fellis posted:

That was the other thing Log Horizon got right, people having stupid fuckin character names.

Looking forward to People of the Land naming their kids after great adventurers such as: xX_Alucard420_Xx and Peko-Peko-Pizza

Just finished S3. Upsides of of being between work atm :gbsmith: I'll have a read of the last two web LN since apparently the dude got done for tax evasion and stopped writing (wtf).

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Jomo posted:

Looking forward to People of the Land naming their kids after great adventurers such as: xX_Alucard420_Xx and Peko-Peko-Pizza

Just finished S3. Upsides of of being between work atm :gbsmith: I'll have a read of the last two web LN since apparently the dude got done for tax evasion and stopped writing (wtf).

https://twitter.com/sakaimii/status/1508816080936046600

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/sakaimii/status/1555673948586536960?s=20&t=i9SNhEO8d8mBK-FIaHCgUQ

Looks like sometimes dreams do come true

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I know nothing about this isekai beyond the title: I Got Reincarnated to Save Another World But I Just Want to Pet Animals

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Posting before checking this out.

Saint? No, Just a Passing Monster Tamer! ~The Completely Unparalleled Saint Travels with Fluffies~ sounds incredibly similar. Someone who has super OP powers but does not give two shits about anything other than cuddling with cute furry animals. Taming a demon lord because he was cursed into taking the form of a fluffy, defeating a goddess for inconveniently getting in her way of fluffies.

Edit: Cheat ga Saikyou Sugite, Isekai no Yatsura ga Marude Aite ni Naranai n Desu ga is pretty dumb. Let's say you're aware of an invincible being that can kill absolutely anything instantly and permanently, consciously or subconsciously, gods or devils, but is otherwise a normal human with the normal human desire to only take lives in self-defense. The subconscious part only applies to those who attempt to kill it. Is your first reaction to

1. Try to get along
2. Try to find out more information, for instance the fact that he's just a regular guy
3. Try to kill it

If you chose number three, congratulations! You're in the company of the vast majority of people with any degree of power, and also now a corpse! It takes a good long while for someone to recognize the dude's power with the usual analysis cheat skill and run the gently caress away pissing herself like a reasonable person At least there's one person who becomes his teacher and chooses number one, mostly out of pity for how lonely he obviously is.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 13, 2022

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That's what makes it so good though. It's a neverending train of karma.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I haven't kept up with it, but yeah, the whole point is that everyone else is more of a standard isekai protagonist and they're all absolutely awful.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I came to like Instant Death much more when I realized it's not a standard "overpowered protagonist" story. It's actually the extended epilogue of the flashback end-of-volume chapters, where our plucky female protagonist successfully managed to socialize the end of all things into a mostly-morally-okay person. And like any extended epilogue, the stakes are pretty low, because the dramatic question has been answered and everyone's already finished their character development, so we're just here to watch Yogiri play bug zapper to all the evils of the world until he gets back to his mom and the story formally wraps up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite awful isekai character from instant death is the one who thinks she is stuck in a vr open world game, and thus uses the equivalent of console commands for gleeful cruelty like making rooms unescapable with people stuck inside of them. basically, let's game it out.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my favorite awful isekai character from instant death is the one who thinks she is stuck in a vr open world game, and thus uses the equivalent of console commands for gleeful cruelty like making rooms unescapable with people stuck inside of them. basically, let's game it out.

See, now I’m interested…

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Just for the record while the core gimmick of the manga is various lovely people breaking themselves against the immovable wall that is the protag, there's still story arcs with some other characters, some of which are actually pretty wild.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The best is the killer shark manga which is literally taking the piss and dialing the insanity to 100. Isekai stereotypes exist just to get killed by each chapters version of some shark movie trope. Including a kid that has a smartwatch that grants him the world, only to have his arm bit off.

Including a cameo of Aladdin flying on a carpet only to be eaten by the protagonist as part of a flashback

Basically take every shark trope and the manga gleefully tosses it in and just makes it click, and the mc just wanted to be a good girl and help save the world, only to get the embodiment of Hollywood has her new best friend. Also sharks are a level above gods that conquered the sky.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The fact that I can read any given chapter of Killer Shark and understand there's a low budget movie backing the artists next super form is both amusing, because I understand those references, and sad. We haven't even really scratched the surface of any land sharks.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

The Islamic Shock posted:

Posting before checking this out.

1. Try to get along
2. Try to find out more information, for instance the fact that he's just a regular guy
3. Try to kill it

If you chose number three, congratulations! You're in the company of the vast majority of people with any degree of power, and also now a corpse! It takes a good long while for someone to recognize the dude's power with the usual analysis cheat skill and run the gently caress away pissing herself like a reasonable person At least there's one person who becomes his teacher and chooses number one, mostly out of pity for how lonely he obviously is.

shrug

I liked the otherworldly being because I played a lot of Call of Cthulhu RPG where we all tried to sense whatever was after us without knowing what exactly it was. The very pondering of what it could be exactly can easily paint you like a dumb target.

This is why whenever we defeated a fragment of it's being in the physical world, we would do whatever to forget it.

Heavily drinking and getting really loving drugged up on top of the corpse of the elder thing we just killed was one of the few ways to distance yourself from the metaphysical bullshit that thing was.

I like absurd stories which Isekais all have. poo poo doesn't need to make sense!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The best part is where the girl with plot powers tries to analyze him, and then promptly gets the worst mental backlash imaginable and tries to peace out as hard as possible despite being incredibly smug about her abilities up to that point. He is not just death, he is finality of a plot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Hello Isekai thread, I'm CubeTheory, and I've been watching Isekai. Some of you may know me from one of the SA Discord servers, but I've been on a journey to watch as much fantasy isekai as I can as inspiration for an isekai tabletop rpg campaign I've been running. Over the last few months I've watched the following shows: (asterisks indicate they are currently running)

`The 8th Son? Are You Kidding Me?`
`Ascendance of a Bookworm`
`Black Summoner*`
`By the Grace of the Gods`
`Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious`
`Demon Lord, Retry!`
`Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody`
`Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!`
`Endride`
`The Familiar of Zero`
`The Greatest Demon Lord Is Reborn as a Typical Nobody`
`Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash`
`How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom`
`In Another World with My Smartphone`
`I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level`
`Isekai Cheat Magician`
`Ixion Saga DT`
`Knight's & Magic`
`KonoSuba`
`Log Horizon`
`Tensei Kenja no Isekai Life*`
`The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar`
`The Misfit of Demon King Academy`
`Mushoku Tensei`
`No Game No Life`
`Parallel World Pharmacy*`
`Problem Children Are Coming from Another World, Aren't They?`
`Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World`
`Seirei Gensouki: Spirit Chronicles`
`So I'm a Spider, So What?`
`The Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest`
`That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime`
`The Misfit of Demon King Academy`
`Tsukimichi: Moonlit Fantasy`
`The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent`
`The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat`
`The Vision of Escaflowne`
`Wise Man's Grandchild`

I'm looking for suggestions of things to add to this list. I may eventually shift to manga or web novels, but right now I'm really looking for anime as it makes sense for my current lifestyle.