Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

So what's the goon verdict on the new D20 setup so far? Didn't get to watch it yet, I need to have a strong opinion before getting started, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Goons Are Great posted:

So what's the goon verdict on the new D20 setup so far? Didn't get to watch it yet, I need to have a strong opinion before getting started, obviously

Do you mean the fey one? It's fantastic.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Yes, the character setup looks really promising, for some reason even imagining Brennan and Emily in one party next to each other is something I am deeply invested to. Haven't watched anything else from the DM though yet, I know she did another D20 season at some point, too.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Goons Are Great posted:

Yes, the character setup looks really promising, for some reason even imagining Brennan and Emily in one party next to each other is something I am deeply invested to. Haven't watched anything else from the DM though yet, I know she did another D20 season at some point, too.

Aabria is great, she's pretty loosey goosey at times but it fits. The dynamic duo for this one is going to be Emily and Lou I think. Their entrance alone was loving fantastic.

I should say that Misfits and Magic is fantastic for Brennan and Lou ( I like all of the characters but they were the standouts) and it's pretty short if you wanted to get a taster for Aabria before diving into this one. There's only a single episode of the new one out right now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The disclaimer on the new Make Some Noise is so accurate Gilbert would have approved wholeheartedly

Midway through, but drat that JonBenet Ramsey pickup line

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Aabria is great, she's pretty loosey goosey at times but it fits. The dynamic duo for this one is going to be Emily and Lou I think. Their entrance alone was loving fantastic.

I should say that Misfits and Magic is fantastic for Brennan and Lou ( I like all of the characters but they were the standouts) and it's pretty short if you wanted to get a taster for Aabria before diving into this one. There's only a single episode of the new one out right now.

It's an amazing cast but yea Lou and Emily rolling up in maximum chaos mode was so great.

"LET ME BE CLEAR, OSTRICH CHARIOT PULLED BY DOVES."

"And are you both in one?"

"OF COURSE NOT! TWO OSTRICH CHARIOTS!"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Here's a clip for anyone on the fence.

https://youtu.be/vW0XX3A8bEU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Here's a clip for anyone on the fence.

https://youtu.be/vW0XX3A8bEU

love one comment summing Lou up as 'not just 'yes and' but 'YES ABSOLUTELY AND FURTHERMORE'.

There's no bad or weak part of D20 but I think Lou may genuinely be one of the strongest players just for that energy, the man can dunk on his own with the best of them but it takes extra talent to alley-oop so well too

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I've been going back to try and finish the first volume of Unsleeping City, and I'd forgotten that what got me to nope out on it the first time was how nobody in it really understood tactics.

They keep having casters running out into melee while maintaining concentration spells or burning turns on trying to use charm effects on enemies that have already displayed they can resist charm effects at will. I have to imagine this must be like watching a football game where your favored team's coach is acting like an idiot.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I'm not a huge D&D player or anything (messed around a few times), but Dimension 20 especially seems to be way more focused on creating an engaging story / atmosphere than optimal tactics. It's less like watching a football game where the players don't know what they're doing so much as expecting perfect tactical accuracy in a movie about football.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
crown of candy has a great moment towards the beginning where ally is loving around in combat and ignoring their class abilities and brennan has to stop them and be like “this campaign has real combat and youre going to die if you dont play your class”

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

enki42 posted:

I'm not a huge D&D player or anything (messed around a few times), but Dimension 20 especially seems to be way more focused on creating an engaging story / atmosphere than optimal tactics. It's less like watching a football game where the players don't know what they're doing so much as expecting perfect tactical accuracy in a movie about football.

It is, but especially with the core cast you can tell when they optimise tactics. Crown of Candy is full of moments like that, especially right off the bat with them breaking a plot thread Brennan was gunning for. Starstruck Odyssey also had the colosseum fight, which he continually stated was the most stacked combat he'd created for players that they optimise the gently caress out of.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
IMO it’s great to watch the players steadily get better at the game from season to season. That first cafeteria fight in Fantasy High had plenty of facepalm poo poo, but then you see fights in CoC or Starstruck where the crew plays all of their cards right and succeeds spectacularly. It’s really entertaining from both an individual and meta perspective.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Magitek posted:

IMO it’s great to watch the players steadily get better at the game from season to season. That first cafeteria fight in Fantasy High had plenty of facepalm poo poo, but then you see fights in CoC or Starstruck where the crew plays all of their cards right and succeeds spectacularly. It’s really entertaining from both an individual and meta perspective.

The difference between Ally in FH and Starstruck is insane. Like I get that Emily is really smart and you expect her to break poo poo apart but some of the plays Ally pulled blew my mind.

Speaking of Starstruck was there ever an out of game reason given why Siobhan decided to stop playing Riva?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The difference between Ally in FH and Starstruck is insane. Like I get that Emily is really smart and you expect her to break poo poo apart but some of the plays Ally pulled blew my mind.

Speaking of Starstruck was there ever an out of game reason given why Siobhan decided to stop playing Riva?

:confused: When did she stop playing Riva?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Xand_Man posted:

:confused: When did she stop playing Riva?

She leaves the ship at the end.

Emily and Lou are killing it this season.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
"I need healing, sexy healing!"

I love Lou so much :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey how much did the other PCs and big items end up going for in the Crown of Candy auction? And did anyone add up the total in the end?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I don’t have totals, but I do know Calroy went for around 11k

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was on vacation when the episode dropped, I just finished today.

:black101: Epistolary Phase :black101:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Off Book with Zach and Jess and Money trailer dropped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzbu8ojDPx0

I have never been more excited.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Pinwiz11 posted:

I was on vacation when the episode dropped, I just finished today.

:black101: Epistolary Phase :black101:

Wasn't really on board for another Feywild campaign since that's CR's jam right now and I'm currently in a Witchlight game but holy poo poo is Aabria in her element in a way I haven't seen before. And, of course, Lou and Emily. And Brennan. And...

Epistolary Phase is something I am going to steal so hard.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRygM8MW/

One of the auction winners was able to get Sprinkle and Theo to keep them together, and I think that's a little cute.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Inkspot posted:

Epistolary Phase is something I am going to steal so hard.

Good Society is an amazing RPG: Epistolary Phase, Rumours and Scandals, Monologue Tokens... I know they've hinted at the Rumours phase, I'd love to see the full list when the season is over. :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I am a little sad I didn't get to see Emily and Brennan work together to break DnD though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Off Book with Zach and Jess and Money trailer dropped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzbu8ojDPx0

I have never been more excited.

Considering how much he loved the Game Changer episode this is based on, I'm honestly surprised Sam isn't hosting this one too.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Considering how much he loved the Game Changer episode this is based on, I'm honestly surprised Sam isn't hosting this one too.
He had to edit himself out because it doesn't make him look cool.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I just finished Mice and Murder and for 95% of it, it’s was in the running to become my favorite season of D20, slipping by Unsleeping City S1. And then… that ending happened. Not going to lie, I had to pause cause I was laughing so hard at the absurdity of it, but I’ve never seen a more tone destroying single move in a tabletop game before and that includes anything I can remember from playing at age 13 during the height of “monkeycheese lolbearz” comedy.

Crestfallen Brennan still somehow yes and-ing that with the defeated “no, this is the all College humor cast season this is how it should go” was heartbreaking and hilarious. Going to guess they don’t touch on it in the Adventuring Party.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I remember that line from Brennan now that you mention it, but I couldn't tell you what happened. So can you remind me? I generally loved Mice & Murder, but cannot remember the ending all that well for some reason.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

tsob posted:

I remember that line from Brennan now that you mention it, but I couldn't tell you what happened. So can you remind me? I generally loved Mice & Murder, but cannot remember the ending all that well for some reason.

Daisy literally shits out the tower to... save Sylvester? I think it was supposed to create a soft landing. I don't really remember the exact intent because I wanted to crawl out of my skin it was so uncomfortable.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

tsob posted:

Grant is pushed out the window by the BBEG and Rekha gets crippling decision paralysis when Brennan implies there’s no box on the character sheet that she can read to save him and she’ll have to come up with something on her own. It seems she horribly misinterprets this despite Grant and Sam suggesting she try to grab him.

Instead Daisy Dumpstair who canonically demolished the upstairs bathroom, attempts to poo poo out the window and create a jurassic park stegosaurus pile to break his fall. Everyone is horrified both in and out of game as Brennan makes the BBEG lose a turn in horror.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hahaha, yeah; now I remember. I should re-watch it some time just to revel in that awkwardness at some point. I do remember feeling like it rather undercut things a bit, but I still love the season and Rekha as a player. Thanks.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Started watching the new d20 season and the entrance of Emily and Lou on a living ostrich that is a carriage pulled by 27 doves is an imagine I will never forget and want to see in real life immediately

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Goons Are Great posted:

Started watching the new d20 season and the entrance of Emily and Lou on a living ostrich that is a carriage pulled by 27 doves is an imagine I will never forget and want to see in real life immediately

excuse you

it was TWO ostrich carriages pulled by 27 doves each. Their grandfather invented birds, they're not sharing a ride!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Surena (ep 3) being revealed as a Warlock Patron killed me fjsjskfisbsjdiiwbsh

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

sexpig by night posted:

excuse you

it was TWO ostrich carriages pulled by 27 doves each. Their grandfather invented birds, they're not sharing a ride!

It was two carriages, but they had differing numbers of doves because they both rolled. I think Lou's had something insane like 6 or 7.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Pinwiz11 posted:

Surena (ep 3) being revealed as a Warlock Patron killed me fjsjskfisbsjdiiwbsh

"I need more spell slots!" is something I've deeply felt before.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

seaborgium posted:

It was two carriages, but they had differing numbers of doves because they both rolled. I think Lou's had something insane like 6 or 7.

Lou's had like 23 because he rolled well on 3d10. I think Emily had 14 or something. Truly one of the most buck wild tag team improv entrances

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

weekly font posted:

Grant is pushed out the window by the BBEG and Rekha gets crippling decision paralysis when Brennan implies there’s no box on the character sheet that she can read to save him and she’ll have to come up with something on her own. It seems she horribly misinterprets this despite Grant and Sam suggesting she try to grab him.

Instead Daisy Dumpstair who canonically demolished the upstairs bathroom, attempts to poo poo out the window and create a jurassic park stegosaurus pile to break his fall. Everyone is horrified both in and out of game as Brennan makes the BBEG lose a turn in horror.

gently caress I need to rewatch that season.

I was honestly smitten with Mice & Murder halfway thru, but christ that took it over the top. The IRL accomplishments of that season, with the actually really sweet rivalry relationship between Sylvester and Daisy, Grant successfully playing a Sherlock character, Raff's priest, Sam's hog, Daisy rolling a nat 20 to make ghosts real in the games universe... in a murder mystery, & Katie playing a gently caress off gardener... it's a good season.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

katie's terrifying murderer sneakthief with a heart of gold is underrated