Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
He just won the Fringe.
Its the most talked about thing, which is what they all want in the end.

The BBC have a hate thing for Sadowitz, he did a 6 episode comedy for BBC2 back in the 90s, and they blanket banned him swearing they won't show it ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not.. enormously sure that there is a context where taking your penis out and shouting racial slurs is acceptable?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Got to question what the theatre thought they were getting when they booked the "I take my penis out and shout racial slurs" show, whether or not they should have.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

Pulled his cock out and used a racial slur about Rishi Sunak.

Speaking truth to power imo.

gently caress off with your "truth to power" poo poo, that's just straight up racism. Sunak deserves all the abuse he gets for being a oval office and the cunty things he does. He doesn't deserve to be abused because he's not white - nobody does.

Also it wasn't just Sunak that Sadowitz went for, apparently. As per SG's link:

"He called Rishi Sunak a ‘p***’ and said the economy was awful because it is run ‘by blacks and women’"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Edinburgh fringe about to get real racist

https://twitter.com/thesimonevans/status/1558488434758615040?s=21&t=yOmPKr2sT7EsL1B-PD_y0Q

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We Are The World but it's Simon Evans, Geoff Norcott, Leo K. Arse, Andrew Doyle, Count Dankula, Paul Joseph Watson, Graham Linehan, and Roy 'Chubby' Brown linking arms on stage with their faildicks hanging out and singing bad words for Indonesians to music.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jippa posted:

Running/cycling?

Half marathon. Not very fun. Even the deer were fainting.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
i assume it's just one venue that's had palpitations but sadowitz is sadowitz and the day he actually starts getting blacklisted (more than he allready is) is legit the day we need to all step back and take a deep breath. it's highly, deeply, provocatively offensive and it's meant to be

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah most of the panel show circuit seems to be defending it with "I don't know the context but I'm sure there was a good artistic reason for the slur". Wonder how long it'll be before a recording gets out and the "Ah... Well nethertheless"ing kicks off.

The only sort of reasonable context I can think of is if he were doing an ironic bit about racist tories being conflicted by BAME right wing MPs (or something along those lines) but... That's both very unlikely and still not a good justification.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

"He called Rishi Sunak a ‘p***’ and said the economy was awful because it is run ‘by blacks and women’"

If he'd replaced all the slurs with "Tory Cunts" he'd be hounded out of the country by now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rustybear posted:

i assume it's just one venue that's had palpitations but sadowitz is sadowitz and the day he actually starts getting blacklisted (more than he allready is) is legit the day we need to all step back and take a deep breath. it's highly, deeply, provocatively offensive and it's meant to be

Being able to show your knob to strangers is obviously a vital freedom we must respect. The loony left are infringing on our rights to commit sexual harassment.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Being able to show your knob to strangers is obviously a vital freedom we must respect. The loony left are infringing on our rights to commit sexual harassment.

look i wasn't there so it's a bit pointless adding in yet more commentary but his show was listed as containing male nudity and a bunch of fringe shows contain a ton of nudity; pure sensationalism to pretend like he assaulted someone in his dressing room or something

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not.. enormously sure that there is a context where taking your penis out and shouting racial slurs is acceptable?

Theoretically he could've been quoting someone, or parodying someone grotesque to make a point.

Getting his willy out just seems a bit pathetic & infantile, & the odds are that the context changes nothing, but at some point...I dunno, it's loving Jerry Sadowitz, of course he's going to be deeply offensive, it's like kicking Stewart Lee from your venue for being incredibly meandering, smug & repeating himself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/BevJacksonAuth/status/1558489989536796672

:lmao: David Hume died so that I can windmill my dick around while saying the n-word, so long as I'm also a terf.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Also, this is magnificent. Peak Dan Hodges

https://twitter.com/granitetide/status/1558756833166348289?s=21&t=9z80sCCtm6T5VitbY-foiw

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Rustybear posted:

look i wasn't there so it's a bit pointless adding in yet more commentary but his show was listed as containing male nudity and a bunch of fringe shows contain a ton of nudity; pure sensationalism to pretend like he assaulted someone in his dressing room or something

You weren't there so it's a bit pointless adding in yet more commentary but you're definitely sure him getting his dick out and using racial slurs must have had some grand satirical point and saying it's maybe not on is truly the straw that broke the camel's back.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I saw Sadowitz late 1980s or early 90s down the Marquee. He was not funny. Not in the slightest. No redeeming features whatsoever. But he didn't get his willy out.

Oct 4, 2005

Things are affecting me personally, so obviously now is the time to act.

Get in the bin Dan.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rustybear posted:

I don't know man, I'm not sure "It's supposed to offend" is a defence when Gervais says it, when Jim Davison says it, or when Geoff Norcott says it either. Sadowitz maybe used to ride the line well once, but times have changed.

Satire requires a clarity of purpose otherwise 'ironic' bigotry is just bigotry masquerading as "Aren't I clever pretending to be racist / sexist / transphobic." It's the easiest thing in the world to prime a drunk audience with a good opener and then shock them with jokes where the 'joke' is racism.

I know people like the guy, but when everyone's posting examples of the exact oval office thing he said, and the worst people in the world are coming to his defence, at some point you have to admit that maybe he's just a oval office?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You weren't there so it's a bit pointless adding in yet more commentary but you're definitely sure him getting his dick out and using racial slurs must have had some grand satirical point and saying it's maybe not on is truly the straw that broke the camel's back.

using racial slurs is highly offensive, having seen him before that's almost certainly the beginning and end of why he did it

it would be worse frankly if he tried to make it acceptable by wrapping it up in some trite deeper meaning

i'm already regretting post tbh, it's not for 99.9% of people and it never will be

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Sounds like some people can't comprehend the genius of Sadowitz' 'racist taxi driver' routine.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

OwlFancier posted:

The royal family?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ the aristocrats, surely?

forkboy84 posted:

Getting his willy out just seems a bit pathetic & infantile, & the odds are that the context changes nothing, but at some point...I dunno, it's loving Jerry Sadowitz, of course he's going to be deeply offensive, it's like kicking Stewart Lee from your venue for being incredibly meandering, smug & repeating himself.
He has in previous shows used a prosthetic penis to spray fake jizz at the audience. But as was said higher up the recent incident was in a show which was specifically flagged as containing male nudity.

As for it being a lazy joke, apparently it was part of a close-up magic routine, so I imagine it was probably a sleight of hand joke about it slipping out (people have obseved he's done this routine before) rather than running about the stage. But then he has also done that before.

I'm far less bothered by the cock (which the audience were warned about) than I am at reading the racism and the 'ironic' bigotry he's fallen into. Flagging a show for nudity seems fair enough, but I think we get jnto pretty hosed territory if we say you can flag a show for offensiveness and then be as racist in it as you like.

E: if i'm not being clear enough the audience were warned there'd be male nudity, and I don't think there's anything wrong with nudity with warnings. I do however think the bigotry is lazy and I don't think there's ever an excuse for it even if you warn your audience the show will contain it. They're not the same thing.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 14, 2022

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't know man, I'm not sure "It's supposed to offend" is a defence when Gervais says it, when Jim Davison says it, or when Geoff Norcott says it either. Sadowitz maybe used to ride the line well once, but times have changed.

Satire requires a clarity of purpose otherwise 'ironic' bigotry is just bigotry masquerading as "Aren't I clever pretending to be racist / sexist / transphobic." It's the easiest thing in the world to prime a drunk audience with a good opener and then shock them with jokes where the 'joke' is racism.

I know people like the guy, but when everyone's posting examples of the exact oval office thing he said, and the worst people in the world are coming to his defence, at some point you have to admit that maybe he's just a oval office?

the point, in as much as there is one, is a lot of comedy nerd types often think they'll laugh at anything, that being provocative is the point of being comedian (eg. gervais etc) and he's turning that on his head and finding that no this is actually just really offensive and you do have lines that i will find and i will cross them and make you uncomfortable

if it was playing out al murray the pub landlord style to stadium audiences laughing down through barred teeth then yeah it's time to move on, but playing tiny venues with dripping wet comedy cultists who are mostly slightly to the left of mao is a slightly different vibe.

but enough defending the indefensible tbh, it is what it is. you are correct that the sky is not falling, i guess im more surprised that a venue booked jerry loving sadowitz and then had the balls to release a statement saying he didn't 'represent their values' good god at any point did you think he would?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Rustybear posted:

using racial slurs is highly offensive, having seen him before that's almost certainly the beginning and end of why he did it

Lol and this post is supposed to be a defence of him?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
He's a good comedian/magician but these comedians just need to understand that even if you believe you are making some great and witty point by using these terrible slurs, it doesn't justify it and it's time to just put them in the bin

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Building your career on being the most offensive comedian around sounds like a miserable life.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I think I've posted this before, at a science fiction convention a few years ago there was a 'variety' night (for want of a better word) and this young woman of Asian descent (ed to explain why she used the word) billed as comedy just started rambling on about her small punani and how she loved Jewish cock. Totally unfunny - and I'm not a prude. I walked out closely followed by quite a few others.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 14, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

i just found a piece of velcro inside a bag of aldi crisps.

edit: i meant to post that in the gbs uk thread.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh, he's undoubtedly a oval office, but I'm not sure being a oval office should be a disqualifying factor for a career in comedy is all. Not being funny is a far graver sin, which is where Davison & Norcott & Gervais fall down. I don't agree with Doug Stanhope's libertarian world view & I'm sure I'd not like to hang around with him on a social level but he's very funny on stage.

Would I call anyone a paki on stage? No, but then I'm not particularly funny either so it's a moot point. Would I want to go to a show with ironic racial slurs? No, which is why I didn't have a ticket to see Jerry Sadowitz. I just think going to a Sadowitz show & then complaining that he's been offensive is loving stupid. Of course he has, that's the act. Don't buy the ticket, don't book the guy at your venue.

Mostly I'm just mad that it's something for the incredible tedious Jonathan Pie cunts of the world to go on about. Could do without hearing that.

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/NatalieAHood/status/1557398220564844547

I'm guessing they were on a bad tariff and didn't figure it out till it was too late. Still, its going to catch a lot of other people out too.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Building your career on being the most offensive comedian around sounds like a miserable life.
Especially when they then complain about people getting offended. 'People' in this case being the owners of the venue, who absolutely have the right to say 'Nah man, I don't want to be associated with this poo poo.'

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Necrothatcher posted:

Half marathon. Not very fun. Even the deer were fainting.

As the hart pants

does he wear them

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i defy anyone not to laugh at a willy with googly eyes stuck on it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and a little bow

in the pubis

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
idk much about professional comedy but not having anyone who's paid money to see you walk out seems like a low bar to set for yourself when you've had a decades long career to perfect your craft :/

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

forkboy84 posted:

Mostly I'm just mad that it's something for the incredible tedious Jonathan Pie cunts of the world to go on about. Could do without hearing that.

Tne whole edgelord-industrial complex from the hack comedians to the outrage peddling commentariat is deeply tired, hack poo poo, top to bottom.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Just Another Lurker posted:

There was a Star Trek mod for Civ 4 that was adapted to Babylon 5, i don't think it was fully completed but i was so god damned happy to play anything B5 related. :neckbeard:

I got the demo for the first Close Combat on a magazine's cover CD and after playing around for a while I noticed something strange about the names of my squaddies... they were Sheridan, Ivanova, Garbibaldi, Delenn etc. Nice easter egg :)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Besides, those pricks have proven if you don't give them material to work with, they'll just make poo poo up to get angry at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

i defy anyone not to laugh at a willy with googly eyes stuck on it

crispix posted:

and a little bow

in the pubis