Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Alhazred posted:

A big thing with this comic is that the various beings are trapped by their mindsets and rules. So it doesn't matter how smart Lucifer is, she still wouldn't think of something that would eat hope.

lucifer is the adversary, it would think of a more clever rebuke than eating hope. like that acceptance, leaving and moving on deprives hope of its function, in this sense, driving persistence. that answer should probably be given, like, in episode 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Overall the scenes in Hell felt a little cheap, the demons especially were rather basic (though Gwendoline Christie was good). The one exception being Azazel, that had a cool design.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You might know him from a few indie sf movies from the 70's

mark hamill

Oh poo poo!!!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the whole first episode should have been a 20 minute intro before the first title card

edit: 2 is much better and 3 is intersting from the start. WTF happened to making episode 1 a banger ?

Qmass fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 13, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Samovar posted:

Oh poo poo!!!

Someone gave Neil Gaiman a money printer for this show and it shows in every aspect of the production, it's a genuinely spare-no-expense show

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I thought the show started off pretty strong but felt rushed near the end. Also that the segment in hell didn't really work out as well as it could've.

Episode 5 though was amazing tv.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/spenjflairs/status/1558372577533431808

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 6 is excellent! Turns out you don't even need to write a script based from scratch, you can just film a comic issue or two practically word for word and if you know what you're doing it'll be great. With some small concessions to the changes in the premise of the show, but even the small scene they inserted for 1989 Hob Gadling fit in seamlessly. And speaking of which, the actor was very good too.

Still a bit miffed about Rich Violinist Harry but at least there were some cursory nods in this episode that poor, fringe-of-society people might exist.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Episode 6 is excellent! Turns out you don't even need to write a script based from scratch, you can just film a comic issue or two practically word for word and if you know what you're doing it'll be great. With some small concessions to the changes in the premise of the show, but even the small scene they inserted for 1989 Hob Gadling fit in seamlessly. And speaking of which, the actor was very good too.

Still a bit miffed about Rich Violinist Harry but at least there were some cursory nods in this episode that poor, fringe-of-society people might exist.

I think the Harry alteration was to contrast the later deaths, since they were young, marginalized, or both. Better to drive home Death's indiscriminate compassion for everyone she meets.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

Harry being poor isn't as important as Harry being alone. There's other poor people that she sees; the point of her visits is that nobody truly has to die alone.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Honestly Neil Gaiman [...] does a lot of justifying third parties' questionable decisions online.

That's bait, and I'm not taking it. Nice try, Ms. Palmer.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I get the hostility to depicting the murder of vulnerable populations for the sake of early 90s edgyness, but the narrative really seemed to be trying to drive the point home that all the collectors are hosed up in their relation to sex, that's it's a paraphilia thing first and a murder thing second. like, there's only so many flavors of oddly specific human attraction out there, I guess the connoisseur could've only been into people with polydactylism or black republicans or something but that would've undercut the whole uneasy horror vibe. for contrast, what is it about funland that makes his pedophilia and child murdering "add something" to the character or the narrative? that there's a bunch more kids in the world than there are trans women so they wouldn't be missed?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Among other things, the words "pre-operative transsexual" don't really read correctly in the mouth of a character that young and who isn't acting out of the flavor of hate that someone using them in 2022 vs 1989 has.

In the audio book they just changed it to something else rare but I don't recall exactly what. Just never mentioning it works for the show I guess.

(I expect that the moon's path will open for Wanda but she won't choose to go when we get to Game, with George being shocked and upset and Thessaly(or Johanna, if they do that substitution) pleasantly surprised.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Voice of Labor posted:

I get the hostility to depicting the murder of vulnerable populations for the sake of early 90s edgyness, but the narrative really seemed to be trying to drive the point home that all the collectors are hosed up in their relation to sex, that's it's a paraphilia thing first and a murder thing second. like, there's only so many flavors of oddly specific human attraction out there, I guess the connoisseur could've only been into people with polydactylism or black republicans or something but that would've undercut the whole uneasy horror vibe. for contrast, what is it about funland that makes his pedophilia and child murdering "add something" to the character or the narrative?

I think the funland stuff is incredibly eye rolley lmao

funland is different though. his choice of victim isn't the entire character. he has well, the whole funland thing. the problem isn't a killer who only targets trans people, its that is the entire idea basically.

that there's a bunch more kids in the world than there are trans women so they wouldn't be missed?

also go gently caress yourself

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think the funland stuff is incredibly eye rolley lmao

funland is different though. his choice of victim isn't the entire character. he has well, the whole funland thing. the problem isn't a killer who only targets trans people, its that is the entire idea basically.

also go gently caress yourself

it's most of the character, the other part of the character is that he found a really convenient source of victims. funland also gets significantly more page time so it kinda figures that the character would be slightly more fleshed out. still not seeing much of a difference. other than mention of nimrod being a hunter, one of them being a tanner and the doctor practicing surgical techniques, there isn't much in the way of character development for the collectors. every detail is either that they are murderers, that they have some skill or practice pertaining to their murders, or some slight backstory on them being murderers. it is the whole of the identity for all of them, emphasized even more in the show by so many of them blowing their brains out immediately after. dream sums it up at the end to the corinthian, you only gave humanity something else to be afraid of.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

it's most of the character, the other part of the character is that he found a really convenient source of victims. funland also gets significantly more page time so it kinda figures that the character would be slightly more fleshed out. still not seeing much of a difference. other than mention of nimrod being a hunter, one of them being a tanner and the doctor practicing surgical techniques, there isn't much in the way of character development for the collectors. every detail is either that they are murderers, that they have some skill or practice pertaining to their murders, or some slight backstory on them being murderers. it is the whole of the identity for all of them, emphasized even more in the show by so many of them blowing their brains out immediately after. dream sums it up at the end to the corinthian, you only gave humanity something else to be afraid of.

Funland is explicitly the Big Bad Wolf, and every kid learns about the Big Bad Wolf well before they are told not to talk to or follow men who want to show them the puppies in their van. Dream has an extra line in the comic - "You've told them there are bad people out there, but they've known that all along" - and that's just what Funland is, the story you learned before the truth.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

Funland is explicitly the Big Bad Wolf, and every kid learns about the Big Bad Wolf well before they are told not to talk to or follow men who want to show them the puppies in their van. Dream has an extra line in the comic - "You've told them there are bad people out there, but they've known that all along" - and that's just what Funland is, the story you learned before the truth.

Yeah, when I first read The Sandman I thought his hat was supposed to be ersatz mouse ears, but watching the show and hearing him explicitly mention the Big Bad Wolf (albeit as part of a fantasy series) I realized they were supposed to be wolf ears. It's not particularly subtle, but it's a lot better than just "scary child predator."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
So, Netflix goofed and released their "Queens Watch" video for Sandman with Trixie Mattel and Katya, and showed them watching footage from A Dream of a Thousand Cats and Caliope, which clearly were not in the episodes so far released, and Netflix quickly took it down, but suffice it to say, we may be getting one or two more episodes to tide things over until season 2

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Wow, I did not expect Dream of 1000 Cats to make the cut. Unless maybe it's intercut with Bast's scenes in Season of Mists

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
That's amazing. That's the single comic I figured would be the most regrettable but most obvious cut.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It is a pretty regrettable issue of the comic, yeah

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

they took it down already, fuuuuuck

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
this reddit post has a recording of the clip. There's also a link to the Calliope clip in the comments.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This is both a surprise and a funny way to learn about the surprise, lol

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Snooze Cruise posted:

This is both a surprise and a funny way to learn about the surprise, lol

"How'd it leak out?"

"Drag queens on YouTube."

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

One little detail I liked in Episode 8 is when Rose is going through dreams, and all the letters in the signs are messed up. Because you can't read in your dreams.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Wasn't that something Batman: The Animated Series either made up or adopted from flawed myths about left/right brain?

... but I guess Sandman is in the DC universe anyway, so... :v:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I mean, I've never read anything in my dreams, so who knows?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Argue posted:

Wasn't that something Batman: The Animated Series either made up or adopted from flawed myths about left/right brain?

... but I guess Sandman is in the DC universe anyway, so... :v:

Its apparently a thing, just not a left/right brain thing like cartoon said.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008

Waffle! posted:

One little detail I liked in Episode 8 is when Rose is going through dreams, and all the letters in the signs are messed up. Because you can't read in your dreams.

I’ve actually read letters my dream self had written in my dreams and I remember that because when I woke up I was amazed my brain can just make stuff up on the fly so MYTH BUSTED (by my personal experience, ymmv)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Waffle! posted:

When you wake up, sometimes you remember. When you sleep, you always forget.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Waffle! posted:

She then walks past a readable sign a minute later, so I think they were trying to be this clever but not very diligent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bug Squash posted:

She then walks past a readable sign a minute later, so I think they were trying to be this clever but not very diligent.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't that after she'd had the situation explained to her and told to try and control herself and not let the dreams overwhelm her?

I recall noticing the readable sign and thinking it was a nice bit of shorthand that she was getting on top of things, but maybe I was just filling in the blanks myself?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I can definitely read in my dreams, too. In fact, one of the tricks I learned when experimenting with lucid dreaming is that text in dreams tends to change a lot.

An easy way to check if you are dreaming is to read some text, look away for a while, and then look back. If the text has changed, you are dreaming. Get in the habit of doing that all the time, and you will soon start doing it in your dreams.

This also works for other things, to a degree, but the more intricate the dream-object, the less stable it will be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, that has always been my experience in dreams too. It's all perfectly legible but then if I try to reread it, it says something completely different. Also it can take awhile for me to grasp that while what I'm reading is legible, B doesn't necessarily follow A and the text I'm reading doesn't necessarily make sense and where the text ends up may not have anything to do with where it started.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Bug Squash posted:

I'm totally fine chalking that up to her being a dream vortex and thus not having the usual dream rules apply to her, especially after she noticed text being wonky earlier.

If she can pop into the heart of the Endless Dream Lord's castle, reading text in a dream seems like a basic as hell feat for her (and us as the viewers as we presumably see things generally through her perspective of things at that time).

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Here's one from the vaults:

In 1995, I wrote a Sandman text adventure on my Amstrad CPC - a home computer that was practically already obsolete at that time.
It was a labor of love, and, like anything written by a socially inept 19-year-old, it's awkward and cringeworthy at best.

Still, it does have a few entertaining moments, and as far as I know, there is no other Sandman game out there. The game has an easy-to-use interface, and I've bundled it with an Amstrad emulator so you can play it straight away without having to go through a long setup procedure. I also included a walkthrough, as well as a readme file, which I would urge you to read first.

The story:
In yet another effort to destroy their older sibling, Desire has stolen an old book with the power to release ancient beings that can destroy the Dreaming. In a foolish fit of bravery, Matthew decides to confront Desire and is taken hostage at the Threshold.
Now Dream needs to find a way to save both his raven and his world.

Enjoy this misguided attempt at deepness and profundity by my former self!
http://www.timetravelers.de/The_Sandman_Love_and_Magic.zip

Some more screenshots:

The main text window

Dream's gallery

Talking to Lucien in the library

Fiddler's Green

Hob Gadling's house. Yes, he has an original Da Vinci hanging in his kitchen.

A travel map. You can find some useful items in people's dreams and meet some historical figures in the Soft Places.

The House of Mystery and the House of Secrets

Abel telling an old story

Desire has gifted Cain with a memory of his long-lost wife. He's not really happy about it.

Desire with a kidnapped Matthew and the Necronomicon. This is the level of deep philosophical storytelling we're dealing with here.

If you see this screen, it means you've made it and the game is almost over.

EDIT: Fixed the download link

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 15, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

That looks incredible.

e: got an SSL error when I tried to download it

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 14, 2022

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, nice one Dave, that’s awesome. Christ, the best I ever managed on mine was switching between Mode 1 and Mode 0 and doing the ol’ print/goto poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
That's absolute excellent Dave Syndrome.
If its complete, release it please.
There's still an Amstrad scene, and new games for it are made still by hobbists.