Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Ed Robertson of Barenaked Ladies solved the orange rhyme problem years ago:

Oh flip, the light is turning orange
Coat ripped when I caught it in the door hinge

Also, I had a King of the Hill repeat on again and it did remind me that the hippie backlash was still going strong into the 90s and early 2000s (and sad to say a stupid teenager bought into that stuff...) but looking back at how people were mad at hippies it just reminds me again how reactive we are as a society. It was the episode where they are camping and the hippies take over the national park and they are just lazy and scheming.

That was because of the 90s hippie retro surge. There were hippie holdovers through the late 70's and 80's, but they'd really faded from mainstream attention. Kind of like guys still dressing like 50s greasers in the 70s.

Think the resurgence of jam bands with hordes of patchouli scented fans following them from town to town, heroin coming back after the go get 'em 70's & 80's cocaine binge, resurgence of eco concerns, and literal hippie clothing fashions returning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Got bad news about the owners of every business in existence

Yeah, but it's one thing to 'know' and another thing to "know"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

MrUnderbridge posted:

That was because of the 90s hippie retro surge. There were hippie holdovers through the late 70's and 80's, but they'd really faded from mainstream attention.
Yeah and they sucked too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hippiedom grew out of an opposition to an establishment that was defined by the Military Industrial Complex and “better living through chemistry” so bound up with the dislike of racism and militarism there was a distrust of any authority and the popular narrative of scientific (industrial) progress.

Obviously there’s no unified front among the 60s counterculture but there was a “let’s all live like the Indians” wing and a “go back to The Earth” movement which was also reflected in a distrust of things like modern medicine, pastoralism which is why you see things like Renaissance Faires and J.R.R. Tolkien getting very weird fan letters, and an anarchism which easily curdled into libertarianism. (Also the Jesus freaks.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s easy to confuse contempt for the establishment with contempt for expertise, and oops now you’re against vaccines and public schools.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

They didn't, however, seem to have any real issue with misogyny

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s that same characteristic confusion where rejecting a midcentury establishment meant refusing prudishness and rigid monogamy, so you end up thinking women should dress all sexy and have lots of sex with you, but you never think any more carefully about it than that.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
Add the normalization of contraceptives and abortions for maybe the first time, and poo poo got crazy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
And they had a few decades to do it before AIDS.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still reckon boomers are still mad that they have to pretend they were hippies for their kids to not think they were incredibly lame.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Ellie Crabcakes posted:

They totally did.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s easy to confuse contempt for the establishment with contempt for expertise, and oops now you’re against vaccines and public schools.

i like this post and how it distills so much into one sentence.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

2nd Amendment posted:

They totally did.
You wouldn't know it from how they acted 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Been said elsewhere and possibly itt that contrarianism without being grounded in a specific ideology means you tend to end up on the far right eventually.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

There’s that same characteristic confusion where rejecting a midcentury establishment meant refusing prudishness and rigid monogamy, so you end up thinking women should dress all sexy and have lots of sex with you, but you never think any more carefully about it than that.
Yeah when Hugh Hefner kicked the bucket I got into a lot of arguments with men about the sexual revolution and how much of it was about women's availability and not women's agency

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been said elsewhere and possibly itt that contrarianism without being grounded in a specific ideology means you tend to end up on the far right eventually.
Exactly

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Aug 14, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ellie Crabcakes posted:

Wait, do you mean that hippies weren’t really misogynistic (misogyny wasn’t an issue with the hippies), or that they were (hippies did not take issue with misogyny)? The grammar is ambiguous and I don’t know if I took it the right way.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Wait, do you mean that hippies weren’t really misogynistic (misogyny wasn’t an issue with the hippies), or that they were (hippies did not take issue with misogyny)? The grammar is ambiguous and I don’t know if I took it the right way.
Okay yeah it is a bit? I meant specifically that they didn't take issue and in fact quite enthusiastically engaged in it with very few exceptions

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ellie Crabcakes posted:

Okay yeah it is a bit? I meant specifically that they didn't take issue and in fact quite enthusiastically engaged in it with very few exceptions

Ok—that’s what I thought you meant, but some replies seem to have taken the opposite sense.

Hippies were sexist as hell, everybody. Just look at the tv and movies they made that have been posted in this thread.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

I AM GRANDO posted:

Ok—that’s what I thought you meant, but some replies seem to have taken the opposite sense.

Hippies were sexist as hell, everybody. Just look at the tv and movies they made that have been posted in this thread.

Yeah, I took the opposite meaning. Hippies were sexist as hell. Thank you for clarifying.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

2nd Amendment posted:

Yeah, I took the opposite meaning. Hippies were sexist as hell. Thank you for clarifying.
Okay yeah that's my bad. Sorry!

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
It's all good. We lose a lot of nuance over text. Mods know I've been probed more than once for people misunderstanding my tone. It happens, part of the medium.

I'm glad you are sane and good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

2nd Amendment posted:

It's all good. We lose a lot of nuance over text. Mods know I've been probed more than once for people misunderstanding my tone. It happens, part of the medium.

I'm glad you are sane and good.

wait people misunderstand the tone of the 2nd amendment? do you mean that it was just a misreading i get to own a tank? answer carefully

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Arivia posted:

wait people misunderstand the tone of the 2nd amendment? do you mean that it was just a misreading i get to own a tank? answer carefully

The 2nd Amendment is clear and everyone should be able to own private nukes if they can afford them just like our smuggler Founding Fathers could afford merchantmen armed with canon. But the real purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to enable slave patrols to recapture runaways. So the more localized "Zimmerman-Rittenhouse" application of the 2nd Amendment is also in keeping with the vision of our Founding Fathers. Whether that is a good or bad thing, I leave to your own discretion but good or bad it is the law of our land rightly founded.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

2nd Amendment posted:

The 2nd Amendment is clear and everyone should be able to own private nukes if they can afford them just like our smuggler Founding Fathers could afford merchantmen armed with canon. But the real purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to enable slave patrols to recapture runaways. So the more localized "Zimmerman-Rittenhouse" application of the 2nd Amendment is also in keeping with the vision of our Founding Fathers. Whether that is a good or bad thing, I leave to your own discretion but good or bad it is the law of our land rightly founded.

:killdozer:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

2nd Amendment posted:

I'm glad you are sane
Oh that I definitely am not

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Ellie Crabcakes posted:

Oh that I definitely am not

Grading on a curve my sibling in stairs. We're defending Killdozer as an American icon in this thread, so I figure most people are beyond broken in some or many degrees.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

2nd Amendment posted:

Hey now, it's also to make it easier for white people to exterminate Native Americans.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

2nd Amendment posted:

Hippies, and people in general, were all over the place by todays ideology, but yeah , "The only position for women in SNCC is prone."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A shitload of stereotypical hippies are pretty much just 60s/70s frat boys with a different aesthetic.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Buncha dudes simpin' for Ginsberg & Leary like they're Musk Daddy or Jorp

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Just a city boy.
Born and raised in south Detroy.

:goonsay:
I know goons aren't great at poetry, but assonance is a poetic form that exists. It's still kinda whack tho; gimme that East Coast hiphop any day

ninja edit: I watched the infamous 1971 film The Devils the other day, and it's kinda mid compared to the Aldous Huxley book it's based on, trading heavily on the shock value of nudity and blasphemy when Huxley is much more interested in the social environment (also the shock value doesn't hit as hard in a post-Goatse world). It's also kinda homophobic (Huxley mentions that Louis XIII was probably gay and the film opens with him performing in drag and generally acting like a mincing caricature; the antagonists are a bunch of effete beta males and the protagonist Grandier is a mustachioed manly man) and sectarian (the film implies that Grandier is a crypto-Protestant while Huxley's depiction is a hypocritical philanderer).

Huxley's The Devils of Loudun has a couple faults too, mostly Huxley falling for pseudoscience like parapsychology and Margaret Murray's witch-cult hypothesis. I presume contrary evidence wasn't as available back in the 1940's and those mistakes don't ruin the book.

CHIMlord has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Aug 14, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
South detroit is in canada

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Speaking of hippies,Ridiculous movie from 1970 wherein satanic hippies get rabies and take out a small town

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

the_steve posted:

Not gonna lie, that realization was a bit of a shock to me.
There's this string of mini-donut places around here owned by some old hippy dude, but then I learned he was hella-racist, so I can't eat there in good conscience anymore.

It makes perfect sense when you realise hippies are and were only interested in their own hedonistic pleasure. Neoliberalism is just the hippies and the old-school conservatives realising the only thing they really disagree on is how many Grateful Dead bootlegs you should own.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ambitious Spider posted:

Speaking of hippies,Ridiculous movie from 1970 wherein satanic hippies get rabies and take out a small town

I prefer the modern update, Mandy

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey now, it's also to make it easier for white people to exterminate Native Americans.

Of course. And to protect white Americans from swarthy invaders like the Irish who can never fully integrate or adopt our values. They will never be able to understand private property so we need to enforce our ownership.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

That's not entirely true. Given how many sex cults came out of the Hippie movement, lots of dudes thought about "How do I use this free love thing to make a harem." And good lord did so many dudes go that exact route.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Thomamelas posted:

That's not entirely true. Given how many sex cults came out of the Hippie movement, lots of dudes thought about "How do I use this free love thing to make a harem." And good lord did so many dudes go that exact route.

Given how many conservative religious communes turn into sex cults I don't honestly think this has much to do with the hippie movement in general, and has more to do with what happens when a cult of personality imbues a particular person with absolute authority. Eventually it will occur to that person that they can gently caress whoever they want in the group without consequences, and at that point its merely a matter of how long until they do it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

2nd Amendment posted:

Of course. And to protect white Americans from swarthy invaders like the Irish who can never fully integrate or adopt our values. They will never be able to understand private property so we need to enforce our ownership.

Landowners never know when the urban horde might come (Irish, Italian, Black, Chinese, whoever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

sweet geek swag posted:

Given how many conservative religious communes turn into sex cults I don't honestly think this has much to do with the hippie movement in general, and has more to do with what happens when a cult of personality imbues a particular person with absolute authority. Eventually it will occur to that person that they can gently caress whoever they want in the group without consequences, and at that point its merely a matter of how long until they do it.

Speaking of which, are the Children of God cult still around? I remember hearing how Joaquin and River Phoenix had been members, and Winona Ryder too. Did it have many ties to hollywood, or was that just a coincidence?