Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If we don't teach kids white supremacy they'll learn it from racists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

:catstare:

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

CaptCommy posted:

Gonna copy what came up in the 13th age thread, but he's not an actual believer in :biotruths:. He just has some head-rear end ideas for dealing with them.

Basically, he thinks that it shouldn't be taboo to talk about race science so that we can fully and empirically debunk it instead of letting the alt-right have a monopoly on the conversation so that people are tricked into believing it. Which, uh, that's not really how you actually deal with alt-right chuds and his idea isn't really a good one, but you can see him elaborate on his position here if you've got some time to kill.

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/pelgrane-press-disassociates-jonathan-tweet-from-13th-age-pelgrane.848931/page-8#post-22694744
Wow, he is at best an insufferable idiot who thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
He also wants to make Fighters shittier.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Yeah in addition to just saying his ideas in the worst loving way possible, at best, every single one of his sidebar ideas in 13th Age is some grog-rear end dogshit that makes the game worse, and bringing him back is probably gonna keep the game from being anything more than Another D&D.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That Pelgrane tweet is implying that Tweet being involved is Rob Heinsoo's call, and I'd be interested to hear Heinsoo's thoughts on this. On one hand, I can sort of sympathize with potential struggles to write 13A 2E without the input of the coauthor of 1E; on the other, yeah, I agree with folks that think Tweet and his attitudes were the worst part of 1E, so it's not getting my hopes up for 2E.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Antivehicular posted:

That Pelgrane tweet is implying that Tweet being involved is Rob Heinsoo's call, and I'd be interested to hear Heinsoo's thoughts on this. On one hand, I can sort of sympathize with potential struggles to write 13A 2E without the input of the coauthor of 1E; on the other, yeah, I agree with folks that think Tweet and his attitudes were the worst part of 1E, so it's not getting my hopes up for 2E.

I think that I would have to be waterboarded before I publicly admitted that I needed help making a D&D-type game from the biotruths-and-make-fighters-shittier-for-nostalgia guy, personally. Like cmon seriously, Rob Heinsoo the Shadow of the Demon Lord guy needs that dude's help to make a d20 fantasy game? Nobody else was available?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

13th Age was not a good or interesting-enough game that it deserves a second edition, frankly.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

I think that I would have to be waterboarded before I publicly admitted that I needed help making a D&D-type game from the biotruths-and-make-fighters-shittier-for-nostalgia guy, personally. Like cmon seriously, Rob Heinsoo the Shadow of the Demon Lord guy needs that dude's help to make a d20 fantasy game? Nobody else was available?

Demon Lord is Rob Schwalb

Rude_Dude
Jun 2, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Wrong Rob - Rob Schwalb made Shadow of the Demon Lord, a better game than 13th Age.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Welp that's my bad, I got my Robs mixed up.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
That's understandable, Shadow of the Demon Lord does sound like a Rob Zombie production.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

13th Age was not a good or interesting-enough game that it deserves a second edition, frankly.

Inflammatory opinion aside, the point of a second edition is that you improve on faults.

It's an ideal candidate for a second edition because many of its problem areas were Tweet's deliberate design choices. After Tweet racist'd himself out of the picture, it looked like his dumb choices were going with him.

Except nah.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, me misremembering my Robs aside, Tweet is not really on the cutting edge of RPG design and kinda wasn't even when 13th Age was brand new, so I'm really scratching my head what keen insights he had that required him to be brought back on board this project. I'm not going to say 13th Age is a bad game, but it is not imo a particularly revolutionary one.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

The man who has been dodging literal assassins for decades and just lost an eye to a religious fanatic with a knife? At least he wasn't cancelled.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mystic Mongol posted:

The man who has been dodging literal assassins for decades and just lost an eye to a religious fanatic with a knife? At least he wasn't cancelled.

No, no, you see being cancelled is as bad as death. Even though nobody is really cancelled and lots of people who air quotes were canceled make a lot of money off of it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rude_Dude posted:

Wrong Rob - Rob Schwalb made Shadow of the Demon Lord, a better game than 13th Age.
Having run both, I can't agree. SotDL is a lot cooler with tons of bells and whistles but it's got a massive wizard supremacy problem, some big power vs narrative issues on advanced classes, and rather crumbles under its own system even for fighting types. 13A has worked mostly well for us so far.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

dwarf74 posted:

Having run both, I can't agree. SotDL is a lot cooler with tons of bells and whistles but it's got a massive wizard supremacy problem, some big power vs narrative issues on advanced classes, and rather crumbles under its own system even for fighting types. 13A has worked mostly well for us so far.

Do things like that really bother the general populace? I always found the idea of trying to balance a TTRPG to be kind of a bore, and good examples of balanced class games tend to be rejected by the market aggressively like 4e was.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

People don't like trap choices like "fighter," yes.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Weird to see here on this forum the myth that the market rejected 4e.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tendales posted:

Weird to see here on this forum the myth that the market rejected 4e.

How is it a myth when 4e sold worse than the current edition and had its sales and gaming space supplanted by a game that was basically just the previous edition? Longevity wasn't there either - within five years they were mumbling about replacing it with a new edition and begging the community to please tell them what they wanted, while tapping OSR creators as consultants to help make the game more like older editions of DnD? There's been talk of replacing 5e, yes, but 5e has been out since early 2014, and iirc they weren't talking about replacing it until last year, which is seven years and it likely won't be a complete and total overhaul of system, most people have said it'll be closer to a "5.5e". DnD also retook the top spot in RPG sales almost immediately with 5e, 5e was an instant sales hit and also became relevant culturally again, big enough that a film studio is willing to "roll the dice" (har har) on a big box office production of DnD and other things. It also demolishes other systems, Cubicle 7 is not the only people who went around saying that simply put, you can write your own original RPG, or you can put out "My setting, in 5e" and you'll do like ten times the sales with the 5e sourcebook. I don't even like 5e but it was a huge hit lol

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 14, 2022

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

moths posted:

Inflammatory opinion aside, the point of a second edition is that you improve on faults.

It's an ideal candidate for a second edition because many of its problem areas were Tweet's deliberate design choices. After Tweet racist'd himself out of the picture, it looked like his dumb choices were going with him.

Except nah.

it was phrased aggressively, but like I don't disagree. 13th was neat and novel at the time when the most well known PbtA hack was Dungeon World but like in the time since I can hardly think of anything in 13th age I wouldn't describe as being done better elsewhere. Maybe a 2nd edition would be neat if certain people were not involved but I really struggle to see where they could take it without some radical changes like ditching ability scores and D20s.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How is it a myth when 4e sold worse than the current edition

every version of D&D has outsold the previous one. the market didn't "reject" 4E, 4E out-performed an edition which itself spawned such a huge wave of imitators and compatible games that it saturated the market

like if 4E counts as a "rejected" RPG than 5E D&D is literally the only RPG to ever be accepted lol

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 14, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Avengers: Infinity War made less money than Endgame, obviously the market rejected Infinity War.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The reasons for 5e's success had very little to do with the merits of its system. WotC got really loving lucky that podcasts had taken off.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The only group of people who were unserved by 4e were the people who were mad that "replace Fighter" and "Replace Rouge" were no longer spells on the Wizard and Cleric's spell list. And once Mearls was put in charge he made sure that martials were put in their place so they can sit there and think about their incorrect class choices while the Wizard jerks off with their leatherbound copy of Mordenkainen's big book of spells.

Also people are actually warming up to 5e more now than they were at the tail end of 4e's life cycle because after Mearls got slapped by the collective zeitgeist of twitter after his defense and enabling of Zak, they've put out a bunch of books that are full of neat and flavorful options for players, done their best to edit out regressive ALWAYS CHAOTIC EVIL and ORCS ARE ALWAYS DUMBER THAN HUMANS poo poo that has been hanging to D&D's shoe like a piece of toilet paper. And they just released a book that is loving stuffed with minority voices.

At this point in 4e's life cycle Mearls was shutting down D&D Online and publishing a book with the 5th Wizard subclass produced under his watch.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The reasons for 5e's success had very little to do with the merits of its system. WotC got really loving lucky that podcasts had taken off.

As much as I prefer 4e to 5e, I think it would have been really hard for 4e to ride the podcast wave. A way larger percentage of 4e play ends up being spend on things like 'looking at a map' or 'applying and cashing in on status effects' that, while fun to do, are not good radio.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The groundwork was laid down during the 4e era though, with groups like Acquisitions Incorporated. Yeah, a lot of 4e gets stripped out for the sale of flow, but that's true for current 5e podcasts.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Every 5e D&D podcast I've listened to, which is admittedly only 3-4, uses the bare minimum of the game. Editing out dice rolls and just making things up on the fly whether they fit the rules or not is the only way to make an actual play listenable.

4e would've been fine in the current style of podcasting, I feel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I personally got into podcasts through Crit Juice and RPPR's 4e campaigns circa 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ash Rose posted:

it was phrased aggressively, but like I don't disagree. 13th was neat and novel at the time when the most well known PbtA hack was Dungeon World but like in the time since I can hardly think of anything in 13th age I wouldn't describe as being done better elsewhere. Maybe a 2nd edition would be neat if certain people were not involved but I really struggle to see where they could take it without some radical changes like ditching ability scores and D20s.

The backgrounds system and giving each class unique mechanics were absolutely improvements over everything else at the time. And I honestly haven't seen anything as great as the backgrounds for narrative, since every skill test is an opportunity to world-build or develop your character.

Ironically, you could look at the started goals for Next and 13A could tick off all the boxes. I think that died with Gleemax or whatever the hell their forums were, though.

Its big advantage, the thing that they did best, was being able to import fun mechanics into a D20 shaped pill that players would swallow. It was accessible to players who get uncomfortable outside of the D20 ecosystem, which is the rarest kind of bridge.

As much as nuking ability scores would be nice, anything "too different" trips the community's immune system. Like, sure there are better games - but good luck generating excitement among D&D players.

If they cared about better games, they wouldn't be playing D&D.

I don't know what they could do as an equivalent today, maybe put critical role or Monte Cook on the cover or something.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I have only the foggiest memory of backgrounds, weren't they something like "name a profession or something and assign a + value to it"?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Do things like that really bother the general populace? I always found the idea of trying to balance a TTRPG to be kind of a bore, and good examples of balanced class games tend to be rejected by the market aggressively like 4e was.
Please don't mindlessly repeat grog talking points. It just shits up the thread, and further shits it up with people correcting you.

Also - This is SA. You should know by now that posters here care about balance and mechanics.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ash Rose posted:

I have only the foggiest memory of backgrounds, weren't they something like "name a profession or something and assign a + value to it"?

You are a <Adjective> <Noun> who <Verbs>.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

You are a <Adjective> <Noun> who <Verbs>.

That's Numenera

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

While DTAS is somehow still a big deal in online discus orcs for some reason, I think the broader audience probably doesn't give too much of a poo poo. Sure, it would probably be risky to shake up the Ability spread itself, but I think most people would just shrug their shoulders if "17-18 Strength score, +4 Strength bonus" went away and just became "+4 Strength bonus."

Something 13A did really well that not a lot of competitors matched is condensed and easy-to-use monster stat blocks and encounter building, in a system with significant tactical complexity. If you want "something like D&D" there are actually not a lot of choices out there that make encounters so easy to handle as a GM.

Plus it has a good mesh of "vibe" matching mechanics. It doesn't talk you up about your big drat epic heroism and then toss a carry weight chart in your face.

Ash Rose posted:

It doesn't have to be a profession. Just a "background", and the bonus you assign it acts as a skill modifier if your background is relevant to a (non-combat standard) check.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 14, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Instead of skills, you had backgrounds. So you'd roll Attribute bonus + Background points + D20 to meet a target number.

So your character's background wasn't just a paragraph nobody reads or a +2 to two skills. In a session, you'd be able to creatively flesh out how life in the Royal Assassins' and Gardner's Guild helps in your current situation.

Similarly, the One Unique Thing defined your character while establishing that nobody else in the world was that thing. It was good.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the one bad thing about OUT is that what qualified as a OUT varied sharply from game to game, in my experience, and most gms I've seen have pushed for them to be more 'I am an unusual thing in the setting' at best instead of 'I am literally the only one of this thing'.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, it's a huge bit of narrative power for the players and some DMs really really hate that.

E: I think that also was what I liked about backgrounds: The players told the table how being raised by hobgoblins helps them intimidate the prince or bake a tasty garbage pie, and then that established.

The GM and system isn't there to create friction over a bunch of +1s when they're trying to advance the story, which is a huge conceptual departure from established D20 at the time.

Even the Escalation Die helped things move along. There's a definite focus on the game not bogging down under its bulk, at least initially, which was refreshing.

moths fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
If 13th Age's second edition isn't called 14th age, I'm not even sure what they're doing.