Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

so I guess US policy is to poke bears until something happens?

https://twitter.com/BNNBreaking/status/1558785124556492800

I guess the hope is that the PLAN starts an active blockade so the US can start sanctioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

This is how you provoke a conflict, yes.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So, uh, can't China just say that the US triggered any conflict by virtue of openly backing the 'renegade government'? :thunk:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

my impression (and hope) is that america made a massive mistake by enabling the PRC, which they seem to have realized in the last decade. they can't reign them in like they did to germany and japan, and they're too big to simply crush or ignore like a smaller independent country would be.

it was obvious to me as a teenager in the 90s our society hosed up and China was gonna overtake us

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
why give your people healthcare and save the planet from climate change when you can provoke world war 3 and start a catastrophic war against China?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Horseshoe theory posted:

So, uh, can't China just say that the US triggered any conflict by virtue of openly backing the 'renegade government'? :thunk:

anyone can say anything. I'm more interested in what China does, and I hope it's economic sanctions on the usa and full blockade of Taiwan

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

I feel like that would go over about as well as "NATO expansion and failure to implement Minsk 2 triggered conflict with Russia"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

loving imbeciles

what room does china have to escalate that doesn't involve shooting down these idiots? basically wait for them to leave then take Taiwan? even severing diplomatic ties probably isn't enough

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

democrats posturing trying to get points in before they lose the house and senate in november.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
That tweet says they’re visiting Taiwan but to clear, they’re already there

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-14/us-congressional-delegation-led-by-ed-markey-visits-taiwan

quote:

US Lawmakers Visit Taiwan After Pelosi Trip Draws China’s Ire

A US congressional delegation led by Senator Ed Markey landed in Taiwan Sunday for a two-day visit, a trip that risks keeping tensions with China high after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi went earlier this month.

The delegation will meet Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen, Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu and local lawmakers, according to a foreign ministry statement.

quote:

They will discuss bilateral relations, regional security, trade and investment, global supply chains, climate change, and other significant issues of mutual interest, the American Institute in Taiwan, the de facto US embassy, said separately.

Along with Markey, Democrat of Massachusetts, the delegation includes House Representatives John Garamendi and Alan Lowenthal, both of California, and Don Beyer of Virginia, all Democrats, along with Aumua Amata Coleman Radewagen of American Samoa, a Republican

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/j_laurenceson/status/1558200877915127808?t=JJzwgOC5jEOWei9-Kne-7A&s=19

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

forgot to share these hot takes earlier

https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/status/1558342109043867648

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol yeah i posted that yesterday.

even mainstream australian audiences are starting to take notice

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

the only republican they were able to corral to go with them is from a loving colony lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

I guess the hope is that the PLAN starts an active blockade so the US can start sanctioning.

I mean, Blinken literally told the Washington Post that they'll try to use the Ukraine panic to get a coalition against China going. In the same week they dropped a new Zenz. And with Ukraine's army heading for collapse and Europe heading into winter the enthusiasm is probably to cool quite a bit.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

crepeface posted:

loving imbeciles

what room does china have to escalate that doesn't involve shooting down these idiots? basically wait for them to leave then take Taiwan? even severing diplomatic ties probably isn't enough

Enough to do what though?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

genericnick posted:

I mean, Blinken literally told the Washington Post that they'll try to use the Ukraine panic to get a coalition against China going.

it seems like it is just going to create a big power bloc with russia and america's biggest trade partner but I'm not a big brain think tank guy so I can't see the positive ramifications of that

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Marzzle posted:

it seems like it is just going to create a big power bloc with russia and america's biggest trade partner but I'm not a big brain think tank guy so I can't see the positive ramifications of that

Its going to make a big bloc with Russia, China and everyone thats been economically hosed by the west and isnt a vassal state right now.

This is why kissinger is actively against whats happening in Ukraine because the lines that are going to be drawn DO NOT FAVOR THE WEST

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its going to make a big bloc with Russia, China and everyone thats been economically hosed by the west and isnt a vassal state right now.

This is why kissinger is actively against whats happening in Ukraine because the lines that are going to be drawn DO NOT FAVOR THE WEST

It is very funny that the smart evil people are screaming at the stupid evil people but apparently have no power to change the trajectory of American politics.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It is very funny that the smart evil people are screaming at the stupid evil people but apparently have no power to change the trajectory of American politics.

Basically, Kissinger is so old he outlived everyone, but it still gives a glimpse into the mindset back when the US had some marginal competency.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ardennes posted:

:So then, Kissinger is a time traveler from the 1970s?

in the sense that forward is a travel direction yes

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

They'll build more fusion bombs than reactors, they will build 0 reactors

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

in the sense that forward is a travel direction yes

He is looking at the situation from a Cold War mindset, that is something distinctly different from the contemporary political class.

It isn’t giving Kissinger credit so much is that the largess of empire has made it impossible for the upper tiers of the bureaucracy to look at the situation with any type of clarity.

Yeah, they technically will probably build more fusion bombs…so will most of the major powers including probably Israel and North Korea.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Basically, Kissinger is so old he outlived everyone, but it still gives a glimpse into the mindset back when the US had some marginal competency.

Im saying it the people active working after WW2 were genuinely competent and evil people and they trained some of the most savage state department employees that came after them. But of course the boomers are taking that knowledge to the grave so we are left with Gex Xrs and Millenials that want to be just as evil but dont have a shred of competence in them. I wonder if zoomers will even get a chance before the union implodes.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im saying it the people active working after WW2 were genuinely competent and evil people and they trained some of the most savage state department employees that came after them. But of course the boomers are taking that knowledge to the grave so we are left with Gex Xrs and Millenials that want to be just as evil but dont have a shred of competence in them. I wonder if zoomers will even get a chance before the union implodes.

Ex: Luttwak was an evil bastard whose book Coup d'etat called the end of the Salazar regime like 10 years out and the way it would happen

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Isentropy posted:

Ex: Luttwak was an evil bastard whose book Coup d'etat called the end of the Salazar regime like 10 years out and the way it would happen

lol someone predicted they would goodbye Lenin him?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Honestly never thought about that. Good chance by the time the book was written he already knew Caetano had all but taken over and the regime was unstable.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Admittedly, competency was a relative thing, the fact that the Soviets hung on as long as they did was pretty remarkable and Vietnam itself was a straight defeat. Nevertheless, eventually the economic weight of the US was get the job done and the boomers were able to celebrate the end of history and pass off their sinecures to their subordinates.

The current crop has to push forward because that is what empires do (and what dad and granddad would have done), while with a little bit of accounting it is clear it is falling apart.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

ign lol :dafuq:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

KomradeX posted:

They'll build more fusion bombs than reactors, they will build 0 reactors

I mean that's the status quo already isn't it? We've known how to make use of fusion to make bigger nukes for a while, it's making something that actually can be used to generate power that's hard.

Even still, I'm guessing they still need work before they can actually harvest any excess energy, even just by heat dispersion, then making it efficient enough to outperform fission. Still a ways away, but no point in stopping now given they seem to be inching forward despite criminally low funding.

Edit: Oh that's an IGN article lol.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

forgot to share these hot takes earlier

lol gently caress that bald frog. put a hat on bitch 🐸

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Horseshoe theory posted:

lower ranking legislators visit taipei all the time. this isn't as interesting as the pelosi visit. they also did say that, to justify the de facto blockade that was then extended beyond the original timeframe without prior announcement of when it would actually end, which was a very threatening situation

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

this allusion meant posted:

lower ranking legislators visit taipei all the time. this isn't as interesting as the pelosi visit. they also did say that, to justify the de facto blockade that was then extended beyond the original timeframe without prior announcement of when it would actually end, which was a very threatening situation

Can't blockade your own country, OP.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Lower ranking lawmaker visit is like a salami sliced many moons ago. However a top rank lawmaker visit is a brand new salami slicing, so Beijing has to slice from the other endn of the salami to get even.

A Taiwanese analyst I follow said he heard a rumor that when Republicans take back the congress in Nov, THEIR house speaker will for sure visit Taiwan too. Oh dare.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Kdramas are just regular dramas but in korean.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Lower ranking lawmaker visit is like a salami sliced many moons ago. However a top rank lawmaker visit is a brand new salami slicing, so Beijing has to slice from the other endn of the salami to get even.

A Taiwanese analyst I follow said he heard a rumor that when Republicans take back the congress in Nov, THEIR house speaker will for sure visit Taiwan too. Oh dare.

they'll probably take back the Senate, not the house. I wonder if Mitch would go, that would be an escalation

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

what on earth

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

[Asia/Oceania] If you don't believe me, do a google video search for "Korean sex scene"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

anyway plz join me in being outraged by this genocide which is being ignored by the china loving international media

https://mobile.twitter.com/CostaJedda/status/1557924310236667904