Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stux posted:

follow you r heart and stop playing. your impulse is correct. the further u get the goalpost of when the game gets "good" will only be placed fruther and further away to goad you into wasting so much time you feel obligated to the game. free yourself. i believe in you.

FFXIV is one of my favorite games of all time and i agree with stux

for a point of comparison, there was never any time i was playing FFXIV, even pre-ARR rework, where i had trouble progressing through the game smoothly, if not always eagerly. you can always try setting the game down and coming back to it later, since sometimes other circumstances can influence your enjoyment of a game, but not enjoying the game sufficiently isn't because you didn't do some One Weird Trick to enjoying it or because you didn't get to the "good" part yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alright, fine Zachtronics, I'll play your cruel picross variant. I'll gently caress up my brain with this, 64 puzzles of madness

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Help Im Alive posted:

to think that a master of 3d picross and all the picross e games could be defeated by a mere 15x15 puzzle...

Can any of the games chat picross masters figure out the next logical step?!! I had to look up the completed puzzle

That is some bullshit. I'm not sure a logical next step even exists, but I can't find it. It looks like you have to map out every possible combination of blocks to find the answer.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm still making my way through Detective Pikachu. It's a charming little game but it's also only about 15 hours so I'm kind of milking it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Vermain posted:

FFXIV is one of my favorite games of all time and i agree with stux

for a point of comparison, there was never any time i was playing FFXIV, even pre-ARR rework, where i had trouble progressing through the game smoothly, if not always eagerly. you can always try setting the game down and coming back to it later, since sometimes other circumstances can influence your enjoyment of a game, but not enjoying the game sufficiently isn't because you didn't do some One Weird Trick to enjoying it or because you didn't get to the "good" part yet

Yeah, I like FFXIV a lot but telling people to wait for "the good part" is a load of bull. The entire game is the good part, and Shadowbringers/Endwalker are only great if you're able to get invested or have some interest in the earlier parts of the story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like FFXIV but if it hasn't full-on grabbed you by Heavensward it's pretty safe to tap out, assuming you were interested enough to get to Heavensward in the first place. I saw another poster say that they didn't really care about the Scions or other allied NPCs as characters until Shadowbringers and I can definitely say I mostly agree with that (with minor exceptions, Alphinaud, Estinien, and Ysale make strong impressions in Heavensward IMO) but I was still invested in the general plot enough that I wanted to keep going.

The other thing is that it's just... it's a really long haul. Even if you're liking it a lot, it's a lot of game, and I don't think it's unreasonable to just not want to sink that much time into something even if you want to see where it goes. A lot of us have been playing since ARR so our story progress is spread out over like 8 years rather than done in one big marathon. That inevitably creates two pretty different experiences.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

WaltherFeng posted:

I will always name my internet handles after video game characters.

But Sephiroth is always taken.

Have you tried adding x's on both ends?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

Alphinaud, Estinien, and Ysale

warning: if you look up these names you may be confused that the images are identical, however they are different npcs.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Nah one is substantially shorter than the other two elves

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My major problem that I bring up a lot is that it’s the gameplay that bums me out, it’s 90% travelling between quest markers / cutscenes, it’s bad video gaming. I like the story, I want to know what happens next, the “the story gets better after XXX” arguments don’t affect me because I’m already enjoying it, but each time I step back and look at what I’m doing, yeah it’s uninteresting busywork and I doubt that gets much better

However, my favourite moment so far, the new cape westwind fight, did successfully meld gameplay and story in a really satisfying way, I felt what my character felt, and because of its newness I do have hopes that the more recent stuff is about as good

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

My major problem that I bring up a lot is that it’s the gameplay that bums me out, it’s 90% travelling between quest markers / cutscenes, it’s bad video gaming. I like the story, I want to know what happens next, the “the story gets better after XXX” arguments don’t affect me because I’m already enjoying it, but each time I step back and look at what I’m doing, yeah it’s uninteresting busywork and I doubt that gets much better

However, my favourite moment so far, the new cape westwind fight, did successfully meld gameplay and story in a really satisfying way, I felt what my character felt, and because of its newness I do have hopes that the more recent stuff is about as good

Yeah, the actual gameplay (i.e. dungeons and trials) is pretty fun, unfortunately it makes up about 5% of the MSQ playtime. From what you're saying I'd say bail, maybe you'll feel like coming back to it later down the line but those fundamental issues you've described are never going to go away

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 14, 2022

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Tis the life of a gam- I mean person who plays games. Also yeah if it takes that long uh, I dunno about sitting on a screen for a videogame after going back from home sitting on a screen for a videogame :v:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't turned my switch on in like 6 months, it's been plugged in, on the dock. 2 weeks ago I was thinking "I might play the switch soon" so I took it out of the dock and put it back in, in case it was not charging properly or something. Yesterday I took it out of the dock and put it back in for the same reason. 2 hours later I tried to turn it on and it didn't turn on, so I put the cable into the switch instead and yep, it was at 0% battery. Annoying!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
*sighs, and adds Jay Rust to the list of posters who would hate 13 sentinels*

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Currently playing and loving a game with an even bigger words:gameplay ratio

rox
Sep 7, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

13 sentinels is next on my list to play once my brain stops obsessing over pokémon

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

youve misunderstood. the words have to be interesting.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

That’s right

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Digimon Survive ftw

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't know anything about that but I have to assume it's words ratio is like a little baby compared to a visual novel, made by a company that usually makes just pure VNs, that decided it wanted to have 5 minute SRPG sequences every 2 hours of reading

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

cheetah7071 posted:

Am I on that list? You should put me on that list

rox
Sep 7, 2016

am i suppose to think thats good or bad because i think taht owns personally

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

haha what posted:

am i suppose to think thats good or bad because i think taht owns personally

Its a sick game imo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Baller Time posted:

It's very cool that these days if you want to look up something for a game the first 10 search results are these half auto generated sites that are 2 paragraphs of non information and one relevant line that itself is also useless

do you remember in school when they told us how to write newspaper style. like headline biggest info, first line of text giving expanded most relevant details. then basically work your way down to the least useful information and details last. You'd get graded on if the first paragraph had all the important who/what/where/why/how questions, they'd make you highlight the same in professional newspaper articles to quiz you etc.

i wonder when exactly writers just gave up on all that. Who was like hmm let's bring that yellow journalism back and then also mix in a blog post nobody wants to read.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

do you remember in school when they told us how to write newspaper style. like headline biggest info, first line of text giving expanded most relevant details. then basically work your way down to the least useful information and details last. You'd get graded on if the first paragraph had all the important who/what/where/why/how questions, they'd make you highlight the same in professional newspaper articles to quiz you etc.

i wonder when exactly writers just gave up on all that. Who was like hmm let's bring that yellow journalism back and then also mix in a blog post nobody wants to read.

Algorithms have been a disaster

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Making you scroll down means more ad bux, it’s very simple

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Man, 13 Sentinels is so good. One of the few games that I would absolutely want to experience for the first time again.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

money good
/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
well gently caress al then

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Khanstant posted:

the people that run the sites are in it for the cash, not to inform the populace.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khanstant posted:

Search engines don't read like humans do

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Help Im Alive posted:

to think that a master of 3d picross and all the picross e games could be defeated by a mere 15x15 puzzle...

Can any of the games chat picross masters figure out the next logical step?!! I had to look up the completed puzzle

You can X out the bottom right corner, which would get you.. slightly forward. And the one above that - bottom right and bottom right up1.

Sometimes when you hit these you have to start using the corners as anchor points, place a whole block there and see if anything is impossible - in this case if the bottom right was 4up, then bottom-right 1left column would end up conflicting with the third row from the bottom (the 4up would place a block at the far side of row -3, but would also force a 3up from the column to the left, which would mean that row-3 would end in a 2, but that row demands ending in a 1)

similarly, you can fill in an x in the bottom left (after the 3), because if that one was filled, so would the one next to it, and both would go up to the next row which would then have a 2 where only a 1 is allowed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Search engines don't read like humans do

send the search engine to elementary school they literally teach you how to read step by step its ez

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't know anything about that but I have to assume it's words ratio is like a little baby compared to a visual novel, made by a company that usually makes just pure VNs, that decided it wanted to have 5 minute SRPG sequences every 2 hours of reading

it's literally that actually. you're playing a season of Digimon But Kind Of Brutal and like a little bit of SRPG every now and again

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Speak for yourselves, I quite often find myself wondering the top 10 things Elden Ring can learn from Skyrim, let me solo her where to find Haligree easy Malenia strategy that originated in Dark Souls 3 no-hit run.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What can elden ring learn from Skyrim?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

You can marry in skyrim but not in elden ring

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jay Rust posted:

Things to avoid when trying to make a good game

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cheetah7071 posted:

That's not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

And there are so many great candidates in elden ring... time to check what mods are out rn