Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mh rise: sunbreak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cuphead + The Delicious Last Course DLC

I replayed the main game to get myself back up to speed, and good thing I did cause the DLC gets really hard. Good stuff

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I think i could beat it without having to do that.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Final Fantasy VII Remake

Battle system was neat and the whole presentation kicked rear end. Only real complaint is too much padding but they weren't going to release a 20 hour game so eh. 4/5

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

11. Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

One of the best jrpgs, hell games period, I’ve ever played. ♾/10

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Klonoa - Door to Phantomille: this game is based

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

39) Rayman Legends

Pretty solid other than the bonus level at the end. That was one of the worst ideas I've ever seen in a videogame.

Intentionally applied filters, distortion and static on reused levels for artificial difficulty. The visuals gave me a headache.

They should have just done a gauntlet at the end if they wanted to reuse those levels.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Digimon Survive--Harmony ending. I bought this basically on a whim, my only prior experience with the Digimon franchise being that I remember the fact that I liked the show a lot as a kid but can't remember anything about the show itself, and some GBA fighting game way back in the day. But I actually really enjoyed it. It skews more heavily towards the visual novel aspect than the tactical RPG battles but the VN ended up being the part I liked best so that's fine with me--I found the story really interesting and both the human and Digimon characters were really likable (at least the ones that were meant to be). The characters feel really rounded and fleshed out, to build your affinity with them you have to actually understand their specific personalities instead of just sort of falling into obvious archetypes like a lot of this style of game does. The story is actually kind of serious and dark which I wasn't expecting from a Digimon game and really pulled me in, but also balances it well with moments of comedy and lightheartedness so it doesn't turn fully into like a Gritty Reboot or whatever.

I also liked how the VN gets tied into the battles, your own Digimon evolves differently based on which morality path you've mostly been following in the VN sections, your friend's Digimon evolutions are unlocked as you level up your affinity with them through the VN's dialogue choices, and support moves (follow-up attacks, heals and mana restoration, etc) become more effective and proc more often the higher your affinity is. The tactical battles themselves are just okay, executed well but don't do anything too special to distinguish from other TRPGs. Good enough as a complement to the main draw of the VN but they wouldn't stand on their own if this was a pure tactics RPG.

Overall an extremely pleasant surprise, won't be my GOTY and probably wouldn't be even in a non-Elden Ring year but it will be at least an honorable mention for sure. I probably won't bother to replay for the other two story routes that are available from the start (at least not any time soon) but I'll definitely do the new route unlocked in NG+ sometime before too long.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: very epic, spent 105 hours going through most of the optional stuff and getting all the random rare blades. Somehow they made it insanely anime and added gacha poo poo and the game still ended up being fantastic. Definitely like it better than 1 despite the bad bits, because the characters, environments, side quests, and gameplay were all a solid improvement. The only thing I'd say 1 hits better is the ending sequence in 1 is going to stick with me longer, the walking through the solar system was such a cool, unexpected visual thing, and the related plot stuff was really really good. On to Torna and then 3!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Bassin’s Black Bass with Hank Parker

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Devil May Cry 3 (Dante and Vergil, Normal and Hard) - One of the best action games I've ever played and a huge turnaround from DMC2. All the weapons and styles are fun to mix and match, the three fights against Vergil are all-time greats, the cutscenes are awesome, and it's really challenging. I might revisit it later on for DMD and Very Hard difficulty, but for now I'm moving onto DMC4. If I had played this when it originally came out it probably wouldn't have left my PS2 for a year.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Devil May Cry 3 (Dante and Vergil, Normal and Hard) - One of the best action games I've ever played and a huge turnaround from DMC2. All the weapons and styles are fun to mix and match, the three fights against Vergil are all-time greats, the cutscenes are awesome, and it's really challenging. I might revisit it later on for DMD and Very Hard difficulty, but for now I'm moving onto DMC4. If I had played this when it originally came out it probably wouldn't have left my PS2 for a year.

DMC3 is the gold standard for the genre imo, everyone who like games like that should play it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Nice...which port did you play?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Hell yeah. DMC4 whips rear end too

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

In Training posted:

Nice...which port did you play?

The HD collection port for PS4. I read that the original game's baseline difficulty is this version's Hard difficulty which is pretty wild. A bunch of people must have hit a brick wall with Cerberus back then.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hell yeah. DMC4 whips rear end too

Yeah they really hit a stride there for a bit, I heard 5 is great too I just haven't gotten around to it.

Actually 1 is p. cool too, 2 is just a huge dud lmao.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Leadthumb posted:

Yeah they really hit a stride there for a bit, I heard 5 is great too I just haven't gotten around to it.

Actually 1 is p. cool too, 2 is just a huge dud lmao.

5 also kicks rear end. Every DMC except for 2 is excellent

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

intelligent qube. i feel like this game is what the playstation was all about. strangely singular games. but i might also think that because it was one of the first things i played on the demo disc that came with our playstation.

anyhow it’s a great puzzle game, it feels fully realized. it’s always good to return to.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

40) Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
mirrors edge catalyst

i could spend hours writing about things i think about this one, but for my and everyone elses sake i wont write a fifty page thesis on it and say despite its flaws I liked it well enough and i enjoyed my time with it. i imagine dying light is the better open world parkour game.
so many conflicting thoughts

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

15: Zero Time Dilemma

This is the third and last entry in the nonary games series (999 and Virtue's Last Reward). It's been a while since I played those, so maybe I'm remembering them more fondly than they deserve, but this one definitely felt like the weakest in the series. The story was pretty interesting but it's all told through cutscenes rather than dialogue boxes, so you can't skip, and it moves very slowly. There's also some wonky pacing where something interesting will be about to happen, but then we pause for 10 minutes while the characters discuss some pseudo-science thing that relates to what's going on and you lose all the momentum.

I did like the story, the set up was a new twist on the previous two games, and the way it tied into those was clever. It's probably worth it if you're a fan of the series, but it was hard to go back to after AI Somnium Files which was way better in my opinion.

Edit: Oh I also beat Gun Mute at some point but i don't think it's long enough to get its own entry. I liked it for what it was I guess.

16. God of War (2018)

I hadn't realised how close I was to the end on this but I rolled credits on it today as well. I don't think I'm going back in for the optional content, I loved the playthrough but I've had enough of this at least for the moment. I don't know what more I can add as I'm sure this has been talked about a lot, but it's great.

Aston fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 15, 2022

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Torna the Golden Country: really cool sendoff to xenoblade 2, I can't quite believe how much effort and change they put into a dlc. The more serious tone fit really nicely and the tweaks to the combat were good. The sole bad thing I can say about it is the side quests were often more like xenoblade 1 than 2, and the part where they pause the main quest to make you do some of them to build up the community was rough cause I wanted to keep going with the story!! All together Xenoblade 2 and torna are incredibly good, happy I finally got to them.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Klonoa 2 - Lunatea's Veil

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
xenoblade chronicles 3

i am going to miss this series very much

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Castlevania (NES)

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Bassin's Black Bass with Hank Parker

Really hard game, partially because of how obscure everything is. Even after reading the manual and doing the tutorial I would've had no chance without a guide. The feedback compresses so many factors into success or failure that it's hard to tell what you're doing right and wrong. Especially since there are 16 lures and no apparent use for more than half of them. I was so desperate for info I watched a guy play Sūpā Burakku Basu 2 on Japanese Youtube

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan. Pretty solid. I got one of the protagonists killed because I chose the exact worst moment to look down to check a notification on my phone but I kept everyone else alive. Most of the scares are just jump scares but they’re well-executed enough that they don’t feel cheap. Looking forward to checking out the other games in the series sometime

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
- I'm Dying!

- gently caress off, someone sent me a cat photo.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan. Pretty solid. I got one of the protagonists killed because I chose the exact worst moment to look down to check a notification on my phone but I kept everyone else alive. Most of the scares are just jump scares but they’re well-executed enough that they don’t feel cheap. Looking forward to checking out the other games in the series sometime

I feel like the Dark Anthology trends upwards, I liked each new one better than the last. The Quarry is really good, too.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

man nurse posted:

I feel like the Dark Anthology trends upwards, I liked each new one better than the last. The Quarry is really good, too.

Oh I was wondering about The Quarry, as well as the older anthology they did. Is there a preferred entry point for the series, or can you just play any of them in any order?

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

11. Hades, all achievements and Skelly's third statue
Thought I was done with this after reaching the credits, but I guess not! Actually, the longer you stick to it, the more nuances reveal themselves, and in order to beat the high heat runs I found myself picking up a lot of builds and playstyles I'd dismissed earlier. Game still good.

12. Sekiro ng+++
Never got the immortal severance ending or the height of technique achievement, so started a new playthough on a fresh file to go through it four times for the complete Sekiro experience. Did the fourth run charmless as well, a terrible time! Great game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

35) Threads of Fate (Rue and Mint)

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Hey Chief posted:

Skelly's third statue

:worship:

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
26. Gears of War (Hardcore)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Saturnine Chapel (2017, 1 map for Doom II, Normal 100%). 3/5. Really remarkable theming, fun level design when you have the chance to poke around but the combat design was fairly tedious...lots of cramped spaces and very limited ammo so you have to manage monster infighting with like 8 revenants and a hell knight in one 40-unite hallway sector or w/e. Hard was too hard so i dropped it down to normal about halfway through and the final fights were still annoying so i can't imagine what hard was like.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Brigandine (2017, 1 map for Doom II, UVMax) 5/5. Straight killer no filler. Loved it. Really great city block style map (just in aesthetics, not like a sprawling city level) with lots of tricks and traps and an overstuffed sensibility that works excellently. Highly recommended for Doomers to check it out if youve got 20 minutes to spare.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Castlevania III Dracula's Curse -- Really hard with Trevor only but it seems like I could have cheesed some bosses with Sypha (Soypha.) No continue at Dracula's room really pissed me off.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Got kind of hooked on the follow-up, Little Hope, and just finished it. Like before I got one character killed (I guess because I didn't develop her character the right way? Right at the end before the last cutscene rolled she suddenly got jumped by a monster, her personality traits based on the decisions I made flashed on the screen, and she died instantly without letting me do anything to save her which was weird) but kept the others alive. I think Man Nurse is right about trending upwards so far, I don't really like the twist ending that it was all in the main guy's head but other than that it felt like a big improvement over the first, no more awkward tank controls, it feels like it has much higher production values, the central mystery was really intriguing, and I liked the characters more. It was really good at building a sense of dread and eeriness. Really looking forward to House of Ashes based on what I've heard.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

64)Siralim Ultimate

Beat the main questline a couple days ago, but getting to credits roll is easily a tenth of the content. I'll probably play it on and off for a while, wanna see if I can start taking down the Gods, but it's a hell of a grind to get to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Erkattäññe (2015, 11 maps for Doom II, UV Pistol Start). 2.5/5. this mapper channels 1995 techbase mappers and imitates teh style very well...but that style can get really ugly and tedious very quickly. theres some highlights here and there, especially in the first half, but the last 3 levels really blew and kinda soured me on the entire project. it has funny MIDIs of random pop songs which was a nice touch I guess. cherry on top was a motherfuckin CITY LEVEL to wrap up the whole shebang!! docked a whole point right there. also one of those mappers where their levels require finding secrets or else youre very strapped for health+ammo, and I suck rear end at finding secrets...