Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

reignonyourparade posted:

I mean, if you look at it from the lens of "he knows what he's doing," walking her home with full understanding of the implications involved and then NOT doing anything is actually kinda lovely. From that perspective it's not really "got rejected in the most mild manner possible" it's "he's playing around with her feelings."

For plenty of people, a walk home is a chance to get to know one another and steal one last private moment together. It's an invitation to possibly deepen the relationship by spending time around one another, and if it goes well it can lead to sex, but it is definitely not a promise of sex.

Now, you could argue his insisting to walk her gave her the wrong idea, and possibly so, but nowhere does he say he wasn't interested in her as a potential partner in the future, so IMO she got upset too early just because it turned out he actually wanted to walk her home.

I maintain that 'actually being a sincere gentleman and not wanting to gently caress just bc between-the-lines situation might suggest it could happen' is not really a valid reason to get upset at someone!

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Cythereal posted:

My (18F) roommate (19F) keeps flirting with me in Animal Crossing and I don’t know how to feel

go for it you confused angel.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Walking someone home is good because you might get to see a wild skunk together.

Cythereal posted:

My (18F) roommate (19F) keeps flirting with me in Animal Crossing and I don’t know how to feel

Wasn't this from a couple years ago, early in the pandemic? The part about bullying her favorite Animal Crossing character looks familiar to me.

AITA? Keeper of the gender

quote:

Throwaway account because I’m superstitious. I have an extremely guilty conscious.

One of my good friends asked me the second she found out, to be the keeper of her baby’s gender. I was so excited and I instantly said yes. Fast forward about a month and she’s looking to start planning the gender reveal. She throws out a few options for dates, themes etc. and scheduled the sonogram. She said she wanted to have a week between the sonogram (which is on a wednesday) and the party so that I had time to buy the pink/blue item for the actual reveal. So in my head, I’m thinking it would be not the coming Saturday, but the next one, so that I can have a full week to order something nice rather than three days.

For a little backstory, I am someone who is always on the run and never really gets a break for myself. So, I had made plans for that Saturday to go to the beach (thinking I had some time to relax, order the stuff, and party the next weekend).

Fast forward to today, she texts me very aggressively saying I need to reach out to her mom to start getting things together since we are so close. So I’m thinking to myself “we have a little over a month, but okay…” So I respond to confirm the date with her and she tells me that the party is supposed to be the day I had planned to be away. I instantly let her know of my conflict, and she told me that date was always supposed to be the day of the party (which I was never told until just now). Now, she seems upset with me telling me not to worry about it and to go on my little trip and she will handle it with her mom. I feel guilty but how am I supposed to know any better when the date was not properly communicated? I don’t mean to be selfish, but I never have time for myself these days and was really looking forward to a relaxing weekend.

Side note: Friend is making it seem like I have to order and pay for everything, which I am in no way able to do.

AITA? Should I go on my little trip? Should I cancel it and suck it up? She is making me feel so bad about this. But, I’d like to reiterate that I did not know, since she said she would give me a week to get the reveal item rather than three days.

ETA: this girl is very much… drama. For lack of a better word. Not doing this for her will likely cause her to bad mouth me to no end. I’d also highly expect her to never talk to me again if I don’t help/attend.

It's not much of a gender reveal party if a friendship is the only thing getting blown up.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gender was a mistake.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Grape posted:

Walking a girl home is not an inherently sexual act lmao. It's not like there was no other possibility here.

Yeah it's not like he was carrying a printer or anything. If that happens then all bets are off

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WIBTA if I ask my terminally-ill nephew to send a message to my late husband?

quote:

(this is a throwaway)

My nephew (9M) has blood cancer (Leukemia) and unfortunately, it's in its final stage so there's nothing left to do. My sister and her husband are so devastated, and so am I, and they are living with us currently for emotional support because it became too hard for them. I understand. However, I want to ask him to do something for me and I'm worried that I may come out as disgusting or selfish.

My late husband died around 1.5 years ago, and I'm still not over it, mainly because we had an argument before he had his sudden car accident. I love him so much, and arguments were never common between us but we were unfortunate enough that his death was like that, I'm not over it because I never had a chance to tell him goodbye and every time I remember that he may have died angry I start crying. I'm not religious but I believe that my husband is out there, I don't know but I'm sure he is somewhere, I know what you're thinking, that I'm being very silly or "delusional" but I just can't shake this feeling. I just want him to know that I love him and that I'm okay and he shouldn't worry about me and that I'm deeply sorry for everything.

I want to ask my nephew to send a message to him when he meets him, but I'm hesitating because my sister may get mad at me, I just want closure, and I want him to get that closure...even if I'm wrong and he is truly gone, an attempt wouldn't hurt, I want to get this off my chest and stop it from haunting me forever and this is my chance.

WIBTA?

EDIT-Update:

I'm not going to do it. You guys are right, I will be a total monster if I do something like this to my sister and brother-in-law, I realize now that I may never get over my husband's death, I'm going to seek therapy and deep down I hope he is out there hearing me and knows about my feelings. Thank you for your comments, I'm thankful that I asked before doing it.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

I mean, if you look at it from the lens of "he knows what he's doing," walking her home with full understanding of the implications involved and then NOT doing anything is actually kinda lovely.

If you look at this comment through the lens of "I am a normal human being who doesn't assume that general overtures of friendliness mean you are obligated to bed someone," this is a blisteringly creepy hot take.

"The implications." Jesus Christ Dennis.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

WIBTA if I ask my terminally-ill nephew to send a message to my late husband?

Holy poo poo I'm glad that lady got sense talked into her.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

The Bramble posted:

Seriously, that's just so :stonk:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for Ruining a Friend’s Prank?

quote:

So, this is a few years old but it bothers me still.

I was a part of a gaming club that met up on fridays, and stayed for approximately 3 hours after school. I had a lot of friends in this club, but my best friend was the Vice President and I was the President. As P and VP we had to stay back and clean up, make sure all of the board games were put up, any snack remnants were cleaned up, etc. there were a couple other council members who also stayed back (secretary, treasurer, etc.) who were in on this prank, basically leaving me the only person not in the know.

For slight background, I am ADHD and have problems with object permanence and lose things easily. My friends all knew this but decided to pull this prank on me anyways. I also had an attachment to my phone because I was outed when someone went through it without my permission so I don’t like people touching it. Which they also knew.

On to the story.

As I was cleaning I didn’t realize I hadn’t seen my phone in a while, but as we finished and I was getting ready for my dnd meeting (which I always went to right after this club) I realized I didn’t have it. I spent some time looking for it and realized it wasn’t in my bag. I began asking my friends if they’d seen it or the last time they’d seen ME with it: nobody knew anything. So I thought to go to the classes I’d had that day, hoping the teachers were still there. My best friend came with me. Everyone else went home.

One of my teachers was there, and she let me into the room to look for the phone. No luck. It had been around half an hour at this point, other teachers had headed home and I was losing hope. Like I said, it was a Friday, which meant the soonest I’d see my phone was Monday.

We headed back to the library (where we held the club meetings) and I looked around a bit more before I remembered that you could ping your phone if you had a device that was connected to your Apple ID. So I asked my friend to borrow her phone without explaining and used her “find my phone” app to log into my apple account and ping my phone.

It dinged. Inside my friend’s backpack. I immediately got it out and angrily asked her why it was in there. She said that it was “just a prank” and that I’d “ruined it by pinging my phone”.

I didn’t have my license at this point so my friend that came to pick me up for dnd came to check on me, since I couldn’t message them on my phone. They were pretty worried and id pushed back our dnd. Meeting by almost 45 minutes. I told them I’d explain when we met up with our other friends and we left.

Not long after this I began to realize how badly my friend treated me and cut her off, but I still feel like I may be in the wrong here. It was just a prank, maybe I shouldn’t have gotten so mad.

Anyways, AITA?

Just a little stealing between friends, why are you so sensitive?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Castaign posted:

If you look at this comment through the lens of "I am a normal human being who doesn't assume that general overtures of friendliness mean you are obligated to bed someone," this is a blisteringly creepy hot take.

"The implications." Jesus Christ Dennis.

A straightforward reading of the original post is that he was attempting to be polite and had no understanding that his actions could be misconstrued as a romantic advance, nor that he invitation to him was what she considered a reciprocation. When she offered for him to come up, he saidhe didn't want to be a bother and left. To her, this was a romantic rejection (which will always sing a little) and was compounded by her belief that he was flirting. She felt disappointed and maybe a little led on. Her friends deemed him a jerk because they are probably a little protective and he hurt her feelings, albeit inadvertently.

There's nothing to indicate he was intentionally turning her down in a gentle manner, nor anything indicating that she asked her friends to harass him. This was a fairly common human interaction, even if oblivious on his part.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I mean, if you look at it from the lens of "he knows what he's doing," walking her home with full understanding of the implications involved and then NOT doing anything is actually kinda lovely. From that perspective it's not really "got rejected in the most mild manner possible" it's "he's playing around with her feelings."

Now, of course, he did not in fact know what was going on at all. But if someone thinks he did, I don't think being upset with him is inherently being entitled.

Why the hell would she think that instead of "He didn't get the message and was being polite"? The only reason to think that is if you think the only reason for a guy to walk a girl home is loving.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Baron von Eevl posted:

This was a fairly common human interaction, even if oblivious on his part.

Yes, which is why I maintain that it is weird and creepy for reignonyourparade to suggest that there is any way this dude's actions could be construed as "lovely" or as "playing around with [the girl's] feelings."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The Bramble posted:

Why would it have been a bad thing to do? Assuming the kid already knows his situation is terminal, it's at worst just a waste of his time and helps OP. And if he's having trouble wrapping his head around dying, having a "responsibility" involving his adult uncle who recently also died could create a point of reference for what has to be a scary unknown. Anything has to help going into a situation that no adult in your life can really answer any questions about.

Clear it with the parents like anything involving a 9 y/o, but why not? Is it the risk of a ghost if he can't find the uncle?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If he knew she was going to consider it an advance and didn't steer away from that until they got to her place it would have been minorly lovely, just kind of rude.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why would it have been a bad thing to do? Assuming the kid already knows his situation is terminal, it's at worst just a waste of his time and helps OP. And if he's having trouble wrapping his head around dying, having a "responsibility" involving his adult uncle who recently also died could create a point of reference for what has to be a scary unknown. Anything has to help going into a situation that no adult in your life can really answer any questions about.

Clear it with the parents like anything involving a 9 y/o, but why not? Is it the risk of a ghost if he can't find the uncle?

lol what in the gently caress is wrong with you
:chanpop:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The kid has enough poo poo to worry about and deal with because *their life is ending way too early*. There's no need to add to the pile of poo poo with your own poo poo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"Hello, Nephew. We both know you're going to die, so let's talk about your afterlife and give you some responsibilities in it. Oh, you have issues? Sorry, not here to talk about that."

When you have a dying kid, your focus should be on 1. the dying kid. 2. the dying kid's parents. The important thing is to support the kid, and the parents, as best you can. Telling the dying kid that no, they have responsibilities to you, distracts them from concentrating on their own needs.

Coping with personal death is devastating for all except the most religious. It is not a good time to say "Yeah, I know you're dying, but can you run some errands for me?"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

We both know you're going to be gone soon, so I'm going to give you an EXTRA SPECIAL job that only a special dying boy can do! *puts hat labeled GHOST HERO on his head*.
Are you ready? Soon to be Ghost Hero? I want you to find the wailing car crash specter of my ex somewhere in the howling nether where you will soon be!

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

in a situation where everyone was really cool and chill and totally emotionally healthy and had mostly reached a state of acceptance wrt their respective situations (editorial note: incredibly unlikely in this case), it's possible OP could say true things that would also be reassuring things -- "I still feel like the dead person I love is around," and "I still love him very much," and "he doesn't need to worry about me", things someone could take with them to apply to their own situation, and then maybe add an "if you see him, tell him I love him?" at the end, and it would overall not suck or even be a positive conversation for a certain type of person

OP instead intended to burden a scared, dying child with the task of being a posthumous relationship counselor for his grieving aunt

ed: spent too long writing this, then got in the weeds editing for clarification, while others already made the point better

Tjadeth fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 15, 2022

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"Honestly, it's a huge relief to me that you got terminal cancer, otherwise this message could have taken years to be delivered."

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
look kid, i can't figure out a ouija board so it's all up to you

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And while we're on the subject, don't forget to complete all your plans in life, lest you be doomed to wander eternally between the realms, forever unfulfilled!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Captain Hygiene posted:

And while we're on the subject, don't forget to complete all your plans in life, lest you be doomed to wander eternally between the realms, forever unfulfilled!

On the other hand I have my wandering spot all picked out. Lovely stretch of river, perfect for an eternity trapped among the living.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is that pretty much all society's traditional default assumptions about romantic and sexual boundaries are so incredibly toxic and awful that things like consent and communication pretty much have to be taught starting over from base principles, and people still running on the old assumptions end up nearly incomprehensible at best.

Also extra lol if you're neurodivergent or even just sheltered. Or have dealt with teasing, pranks and bullying enough to assume any apparent interest in you is feigned for a cheap laugh.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for trying to set my coworker up?

quote:

Earlier today, this guy I (27F) work with I'll call Kai (29M) has supposedly reported me to HR for something I did.

From what I know, Kai has been single for quite some time, which surprised me because he's really attractive. I've set many of my coworkers up before and they were all really thankful, so I decided to help him out as well. I started trying to ask him some questions over a time span of like a week to get a feel of what he was like and his interests as we're not close enough for me to know a lot about him. Eventually he gave some bs excuse saying he doesn't like input from others at all and didn't want my help.

I switched angles and asked any coworkers he was close to for information on him, and I got a pretty good match. I went to him thinking he would change his mind after I told him and he got mad and told me in some snarky way to leave me alone because he didn't want my help. I told a few of the other coworkers what happened to see if I was in the wrong and they all agree he should've gave in. However my sister does think I should've left him alone after he said no, so I want to know if I truly am in the wrong or not.

Everyone agrees I'm the star who gets to remake other people's lives as I see fit, why can't he accept that?? :confused:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for kicking my mom & her pet pig out of my wedding

quote:

My mom has a huge potbelly pig as a pet, she rescued him from a farm, he's 7 years old I believe.

Back when I was planning my wedding my kept on trying to add things to my wedding specifically for the pig for example she wanted him to have his own buffet, i turned all her ideas down and told her her pig will not be attending my wedding.

Even after I told her I didn't want him at my wedding she continued to try to get me to plan my wedding around him.

She told me that she needs him to be there because it's her support animal. He isn't a registered support animal even though he does bring her a big deal of comfort.

In my husband's culture pigs are seen as dirty animals and it would absolutely be unfitting for me to have a pig at our wedding especially because it would be disrespectful to his family.

Well my mom decides to bring her pet pig to my wedding anyway even after I told her not too and she showed up late,I could tell my husband was highly upset with it but stop me when I went to confront because he didn't want his new mother in law to hate him.

My sister in law ended up getting scared because the pig rubbed up against her which cause the pig to get scared and ran off and bump into some expensive glass decorations which ended up falling and breaking into pieces.

I was beyond angry at my mom, this would have never happened if she didn't bring her pig to my wedding so I yelled at her to leave.

She tried to blame it on me for not making my wedding pet friendly, like why would I change up my wedding for a pig guest that wasn't even supposed to attend.

My mom send me a long message telling me how I humiliated her In front of my in laws and that now's she's embarrassed to show her face around them and that if I would've just set up the wedding the way she suggested to me none of this would've happened.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?
You know what they say about bringing a pig to a wedding, you both get the drama but they have all the fun.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

AITA for kicking my mom & her pet pig out of my wedding

quote:

...She told me that she needs him to be there because it's her support animal...

It's probably not fair of me but every time I hear/read "emotional support animal" and it's not a dog or a cat I just assume it's some boomer or CHUD trying to either game the system or make some chuddy point.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the pig supported her to smash a ton of glass, it's a support animal

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

8one6 posted:

It's probably not fair of me but every time I hear/read "emotional support animal" and it's not a dog or a cat I just assume it's some boomer or CHUD trying to either game the system or make some chuddy point.

In general almost always trying to get attention of any possible kind.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

8one6 posted:

I was torn between assuming that was the case, and being entertained by the idea of bringing a pig to a wedding only to have it go hog wild

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Her husband being from a culture that considers pigs unclean makes me think she did it for some good old racism. I wonder if she got it after they started dating?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for Ruining a Friend’s Prank?

Just a little stealing between friends, why are you so sensitive?

Had a friend do this to me at work because it was 'irresponsible of me to leave it plugged in where the other in-shops could mess with it', including the pinging it and having it just a few feet away after an hour and a half of panicking thinking I'd lost the only reasonable way to contact my family on the other coast. It was a real crack ping moment about the friendship. :(

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AITA for blasting my sister's insults about my kids names on social media?

quote:

My sister and I have always kinda been opposites in a lot of ways. She was closer to our dad while I was closer to our mom and we are more like the parent we are closer to. Sometimes it led to some friction. She used to say mom and I had a weird obsession with being different. Which for her came because mom gave me an unusual name which I loved, and because she and I were hugely into horror and video games which to her is teenage guy stuff.

My sister has one child so far and I have two. She and I hadn't seen or spoken to each other in 3 years but recently saw each other again at our parents house, for dad's birthday.

There she heard my kids names for the first time and said they were weird and why did I do that to my kids. I told her she had some nerve to insult my kids names. She told me she was trying to "save them". After the party she sent me a list of "normal names" that she wanted me to choose instead, and have the kids names changed legally. I told her I was not interested and to drop the subject. She proceeded to send message after message with insult, saying my kids were doomed, saying they would hate me, that they sounded like dumb hippies who would be bullied, rightly so, and that nature names are a dumb thing. That Rose and Lily are the kinds of nature names people should consider. Not my kids names.

My daughter has a bird name and my son has a water name, for context.

I went to go block her and then saw her claim that I wanted my kids to suffer and she would laugh when they were tormented and turned out to hate me. So I took screenshots of it all and blasted it on social media because I felt she crossed a line, and that she had some sick mindset if having a different naming style than her would make her enjoy seeing my kids hate me because they are bullied. The post never went viral but those who know us did see and did call out my sister for it.

My sister flipped out on me and said I was a huge rear end in a top hat and why would I publicly shame her like that. I told her she deserved it. She said I crossed a line. I don't normally do something like this. At all. So I have to ask AITA?

Sister is definitely an rear end in a top hat but since OP won't post the names I can't help but assume they've named their children Swallow and Amazon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Surely Tit and Titicaca

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Lottery of Babylon posted:

AITA for blasting my sister's insults about my kids names on social media?

Sister is definitely an rear end in a top hat but since OP won't post the names I can't help but assume they've named their children Swallow and Amazon.

Hm, named after an animal and water, you say?

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

olylifter posted:

I got to contribute to this as well because I'm a moron

In undergrad there was a bar on campus where you could smoke indoors, and the crew of goths/ravers I hung out with stayed there all day.

One of the girls in the group (who, for the record, was loving gorgeous and exponentially well out of my ugly rear end' league) started complaining that there was never a spot to sit so she'd consistently wind up sitting on my lap for like, hours, while we were sitting around smoking cigarettes. This progressed to her hanging out at my place for hours nightly as well. Finally after like a month of this (!) one of the group made some comment about how we were practically a couple, which I laughed off, because like, clearly this is just how friends act and she's not interested in me.

That night at my house she brings this remark up and the conversation escalates to "dude I like you, the gently caress is wrong with you". Eventually we got together and then broke up a few months later as I still couldn't get out of my own head regarding the disparity between us.

Ooof!

I had a girl who I had a crush on come sit in my lap every single day of homeroom because "she didn't like her chair." She would also sit next to me on the bus every day and 'fall asleep' while leaning into me. She said she liked the way my jacket smelled.

I, an oblivious boy, had no clue that this utterly obvious power move on her part signified she liked me. This went on for about 6 loving months before her friends basically forced me into taking her out through trickery. They invited me out and then none of them showed up but her, and it still took me several hours to realize that this was some sort of date.

Never underestimate the idiocy of boys.

I think most women don't understand this because they probably have to spend a good part of their lives fending off unwanted attention from overconfident assholes that will take even the slightest kindness to be a sign of sexual interest that they don't realize there is a whole subset of dudes who are incapable of reading anything but the most blatant signs.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I feel like if the names were acceptable, OP would have mentioned it as part of her defense. "Others have these names without issue." Robin is totally normal. River isn't unheard of. OP has not said this though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Here are my kids Horned Screamer and Lumpsucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im sorry, my son is also named Dordogne at Bort les Orgues