Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I need more practice to get to that level, looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

finished these up this morning.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Made a display board for my EVS crew.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Very cool

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Dropping some oath photos here, these are the last models for my NCA Infinity army:

I like this guy because I can imagine him flying through the air, blasting away, like it was some sort of PC Engine horizontal shmup

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Under 15 posted:

Dropping some oath photos here, these are the last models for my NCA Infinity army:

I like this guy because I can imagine him flying through the air, blasting away, like it was some sort of PC Engine horizontal shmup
The cel-shaded look you've achieved here is fantastic.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thanks for the pro-acryl recommendation btw. best white ive used. really appreciate the thoughtfulness of the bottles too. coming properly sealed and with agitators already inside is great.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Finished up this kitbash of Ancient Rylanor, the most patient man in the Imperium. Quite pleased with how it all came together, especially the "listen here you little poo poo" point.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

A 360° WIP shot of the full base for my Plaguebearer so far.
https://imgur.com/LYeqVut

I need to add something to the head, but I'm not sure what. Maybe a layer of skin flaking off? Another horn?

Chains aren't glued on yet, I'm just fleshing out ideas for where best to place them. The plan is to hang detritus off the chains like plant matter, flayed skin, intestines, etc. I want to add some blooming flowers to the trees, so that's another thing I need to learn/figure out.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 14, 2022

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sat down and churned out a unit of Clanrats for my first post-move project.

Lessons learned include that my phone camera is hazing up, that undercoating and contrast paints go together well, and that to get that crazed light color on crackle medium, I need to blob it in and then blow on it, or it'll leak underneath the acrylic crackles and just diffuse.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

grassy gnoll posted:

That is a lot of lovely rats. I like how they are all distinct and even the bases have good variety!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Camera is damaged, please forgive hosed-up focus.

Did four more melta marines to go along with the sergeant I did previously, so I finally have one complete squad for my IW.

Also did (and repeatedly hosed up) a vexilla marine for the first tactical squad. I don't like pretty much anything about this guy but I'm not stripping anything this early on. He's painted, he can go in the list. Struggled to get any thinned purple to work for blending so ended up with much less of a blend than I was aiming for (ie, none, because this was the only way to not just have spotty blotches of purple all over).

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

Camera is damaged, please forgive hosed-up focus.

Did four more melta marines to go along with the sergeant I did previously, so I finally have one complete squad for my IW.

Also did (and repeatedly hosed up) a vexilla marine for the first tactical squad. I don't like pretty much anything about this guy but I'm not stripping anything this early on. He's painted, he can go in the list. Struggled to get any thinned purple to work for blending so ended up with much less of a blend than I was aiming for (ie, none, because this was the only way to not just have spotty blotches of purple all over).

They look good! Did you ever solve your wet palette issue?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

grassy gnoll posted:

Lessons learned include that my phone camera is hazing up, that undercoating and contrast paints go together well, and that to get that crazed light color on crackle medium, I need to blob it in and then blow on it, or it'll leak underneath the acrylic crackles and just diffuse.

nice rat. The camera might have a smudge or fingerprint on the lens, that usually turns on day time soap opera mode.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Hitting a painting slump.
Don't know why.
Yall ever go from loving this stuff to looking at it all and being like "you couldn't pay me"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Don't know why.
Yall ever go from loving this stuff to looking at it all and being like "you couldn't pay me"

It happens. I just do something else for a bit until i feel like picking up a brush again.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

IncredibleIgloo posted:

They look good! Did you ever solve your wet palette issue?

I haven't made any progress on it whatsoever, no. I did manage to at least keep the palette itself intact across about a week of painting, but the paint consistency is still hosed. Hoping for better luck with the next guy(s), still no idea what to change.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
The last week I painted one of the chaos lego kill teams. and this was probably the best model out of the lot. I am not sure what I was thinking with the purple book, and the basing is kinda sad, but it is easily my best model since I started early this year.

It was so much fun that I decided to do a test model for world eaters! The base turned out much better with a little monument hobby paste under the citadel technical sand. Also can you tell I got my first tubs of pigment?

The red is a little on the darker side, because flesh tearers had the level of opacity required to cover the metallic dry brush. Personally I think it is still out of word bearers territory. The armor trim could also use a darker paint or a grimier shade. Right now it is retributor armor + auric highlights with reikland fleshshade all over. Comments and criticism welcomed. I tried to paint this model as if I was doing a whole army of them so I really tried to be okay with minor errors.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Don't know why.

huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5wx682jpTk

posted just for you I guess.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Picked up some Rumbleslam minis. I don't play it, but they were fun to paint.

Orkamania's running wild, brother! Gun fears no man, nor best, nor evil!

Ten thousand years as Intercontinental Champion, och, ayeeee! It's Ronnie Salvage!

... No-see-'im, The Ceneleon

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i bet an ork would really love some meat shoes

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lotta good minis on this page and the last.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Picked up some Rumbleslam minis. I don't play it, but they were fun to paint.

Orkamania's running wild, brother! Gun fears no man, nor best, nor evil!

Ten thousand years as Intercontinental Champion, och, ayeeee! It's Ronnie Salvage!

... No-see-'im, The Ceneleon

These are awesome. I love Rumbleslam characters.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I use a lot of super glue, specifically of the gel variety. Does anyone know where to buy this type of glue in bulk?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Demilich posted:

I use a lot of super glue, specifically of the gel variety. Does anyone know where to buy this type of glue in bulk?

I really like the CA's from Bob Smith Industries. None of their CA's have ever gone off on me, or hardened up in the bottle, which I find the more popular Zap-A-Gap brand does all the time. They offer their varieties in up to 8oz bottles, although the bottles that size are refill bottles with no applicator. Amazon sells them all through their 3rd party sellers, decent prices too.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I really like the CA's from Bob Smith Industries. None of their CA's have ever gone off on me, or hardened up in the bottle, which I find the more popular Zap-A-Gap brand does all the time. They offer their varieties in up to 8oz bottles, although the bottles that size are refill bottles with no applicator. Amazon sells them all through their 3rd party sellers, decent prices too.

Seconding this, in fact I need to get a new bottle of their glue sometime here. :)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

If you had to choose, would you go for either the maxi-cure or the ic-gel?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

The Demilich posted:

If you had to choose, would you go for either the maxi-cure or the ic-gel?

I'm only familiar with the Maxi-Cure, but I can definitely recommend it. It's not runny like a really thin superglue but it's not as thick as a gel, either.

Unrelated to glues, I got a hankering to paint up some Orks recently, and I've been trying out some ork flesh tones on some old plastic Orks I had lying around, and this is probably what I'll end up going with:

The recipe for this one was a basecoat of Vallejo Game Color Livery Green, followed by a 2:1 mix of Speedpaint Medium and Speedpaint Ork Flesh. I might go back over it with some highlights, but I am pretty pleased with how it turned out in terms of being tabletop ready. And I think my desk lamp may have washed the image out a bit, I promise it doesn't look that bright in real life :v:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It looks really nice but honestly I was happy with how bright it is, but I'm personally in a long term reaction against "realistic" Warhammer painting and want everything saturated and bright.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

It looks really nice but honestly I was happy with how bright it is, but I'm personally in a long term reaction against "realistic" Warhammer painting and want everything saturated and bright.
Yeah same. I'm getting old middle-aged and I dunno if I'm finally losing my eyesight or if it's just nostalgia, but I can't read a colour scheme that's three shades of grim mud on dark black.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oh yeah, I was referring more to how the highlights might have looked a little washed out in that image. To my eye the image looked more like it was just base color + shade, but there are some actual highlights peeking through on the physical figure.

Siivola posted:

Yeah same. I'm getting old middle-aged and I dunno if I'm finally losing my eyesight or if it's just nostalgia, but I can't read a colour scheme that's three shades of grim mud on dark black.

I agree with you both, I don't mind some realism but for the most part I'm finding I'm happier with clean, bright colors. Maybe not 2nd Edition 40k bright, but not "mud, black and gray" all the time either.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh, yeah, your light/camera really blew the green out. You can try putting a neutral piece of paper behind the miniature and shooting from further away.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Siivola posted:

Oh, yeah, your light/camera really blew the green out. You can try putting a neutral piece of paper behind the miniature and shooting from further away.

I'll give that a try, thanks :)

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Sometime this week I'm finally going to be breaking out the airbrush and mini air compressor I bought last year for my first ever go at priming and basecoating some minis. I've got the Badger primer (not even going to try to spell that poo poo) and presuming that I don't have one of the dreaded bad batches of it, how long should I wait for it to dry before basecoating? I'm used to rattlecan priming and that I usually wait overnight before I start painting, but I'm assuming/hoping that airbrushed primer will be ready to go well before that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I give it 24 hours before touching something i primed with airbrush. rattle can primer in my experience is good to go way quicker than airbrush

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Starting to really respect anyone who can paint a whole army. Every time I finish a unit, I just have to take those new skills and apply them to a different model or color scheme. Kinda makes me wish skirmish games were more popular at the flgs, I’d just paint warbands and kill teams all day.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Paint kill teams and warbands all day, then let people borrow your spares to play intro games. If they're already into 40k/sigmar it won't be hard to divert them into skirmish games.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

rantmo posted:

Sometime this week I'm finally going to be breaking out the airbrush and mini air compressor I bought last year for my first ever go at priming and basecoating some minis. I've got the Badger primer (not even going to try to spell that poo poo) and presuming that I don't have one of the dreaded bad batches of it, how long should I wait for it to dry before basecoating? I'm used to rattlecan priming and that I usually wait overnight before I start painting, but I'm assuming/hoping that airbrushed primer will be ready to go well before that.

I've had no issues with airbrushing water based acrylic base coats over badger primer almost immediately after the primer has dried. A full cure takes about 24 hours if you want to be safe but I think if you aren't doing anything like using lacquers or lacquer-esque acrylics or sanding you'll be okay before the full 24 hours.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, I often start spraying my base colors right away after priming, especially when I am doing more than one model at a time by the time I get back around to the first one it's had plenty of time to dry. I've had zero issues with both airbrush and brush painting over Stynylrez within minutes of priming.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

WIP not sure where to go from here besides layering and since this was speedpaint that may not work well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

WIP not sure where to go from here besides layering and since this was speedpaint that may not work well

Varnish, or thinning with the medium, is supposed to prevent reactivation issues.