Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah initially when I could work from home I just played a bunch of Dark Souls and it was great. And then I had a kid so I couldn’t do that with the recent wave. Still better than going into work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Dr.Radical posted:

Yeah initially when I could work from home I just played a bunch of Dark Souls and it was great. And then I had a kid so I couldn’t do that with the recent wave. Still better than going into work

The true Dark Souls starts here.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dr.Radical posted:

Was never more mad about having to go into the office than when Elden Ring dropped.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1558097712591118336?t=x6oDNllFV3ZF-RPHtQqg8Q&s=19

Good thread to remember how insane it is that anyone pays anything for David's idiotic takes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's weird that editorials are paywalled now. shouldn't media want their ideology getting out for free?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

i say swears online posted:

it's weird that editorials are paywalled now. shouldn't media want their ideology getting out for free?

When I sold papers for a communist group, the 1 dollar pricetag was less about making money (doubtful it even recouped printing costs) so much as getting people invested enough to read and take it seriously. Perhaps they follow a similar line of reasoning here?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i just figured it was desire for profit [matt voice] subsuming a capitalist enterprise's own efforts to spread its message

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

As someone who has what should be a work from home job and also hates hates driving period but is forced to come into the office those articles drive me insane. The two months we had WFH at the beginning of the pandemic were the best mentally for me in my working life. Could get all my chores done, go do my grocery shopping during off hours, game or watch movies to kill time since Will is right that most of the day in the office is just killing time.

I've never worked in an office in my life so the idea of a workday where you spend about 3 hours actually doing productive poo poo just seems insane. Like how does it not drive you mad, and why the hell would anyone not want to work from home and spend the rest of the day getting paid to play dark souls or whatever??

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Will's upper middle class upbringing is showing, most of my office jobs have been very stressful and largely just trying to keep on top of unmanagable workloads. Also, commuting aside I do miss the pre-covid times, working from home (or working in a nearly empty office) is very isolating and I do miss just seeing and talking to people through the day. And, as Matt laid out, working from home is absolute poison for labour organising

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

No Dignity posted:

I think Will's upper middle class upbringing is showing, most of my office jobs have been very stressful and largely just trying to keep on top of unmanagable workloads. Also, commuting aside I do miss the pre-covid times, working from home (or working in a nearly empty office) is very isolating and I do miss just seeing and talking to people through the day. And, as Matt laid out, working from home is absolute poison for labour organising
There's always one or two people with poo poo to do to keep everyone else on their toes

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
In my experience, office work is streaky. Like three days a month you’ll be working 10’s because there’s a deadline or something breaks, but otherwise you’re baby sitting e-mail, waiting for someone to prompt you to forward a spreadsheet or something. Which amounts to maybe 3 hours of work, spread out from 9-5.

The biggest adjustment for me about office work is that “hiding” at work or “leaning and not cleaning” doesn’t exist. All your coworkers are in a conspiracy to make it look like 40/h a week is justified and their salary makes sense

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Broadlybrowsing posted:

In my experience, office work is streaky. Like three days a month you’ll be working 10’s because there’s a deadline or something breaks, but otherwise you’re baby sitting e-mail, waiting for someone to prompt you to forward a spreadsheet or something. Which amounts to maybe 3 hours of work, spread out from 9-5.

The biggest adjustment for me about office work is that “hiding” at work or “leaning and not cleaning” doesn’t exist. All your coworkers are in a conspiracy to make it look like 40/h a week is justified and their salary makes sense

yeah this is the part I have no experience in. I don't get the theater, just go outside and smoke cigarettes until you see someone ringing the bell at the front desk

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

some plague rats posted:

I've never worked in an office in my life so the idea of a workday where you spend about 3 hours actually doing productive poo poo just seems insane. Like how does it not drive you mad, and why the hell would anyone not want to work from home and spend the rest of the day getting paid to play dark souls or whatever??

Will mentions it obliquely in the form of "rituals", but you basically come up with more poo poo to fill your day. "1:1 catch-up coffees", "team lunches", "duck out early for happy hour", "book/culture/etc. clubs", "chatting at the watercooler", coffee/tea breaks, some folks work out, birthday parties, "office hours", "milestone celebrations", any of a dozen types of meetings that result in a large number of people filling a room towards the end of the day with a beverage in hand, or my personal favorite; poo poo posting on these here forum. at least that was my experience in startup land

Ultimately the vast majority of people DO want to be working from home, because all of that is fundamentally bullshit when it comes to getting actual work done. The only reason this conversation keeps coming up is because, as Matt pointed out, Capital has a vested interested in keeping that commercial real estate in urban cores valuable and expensive.

yeah this is the part I have no experience in. I don't get the theater, just go outside and smoke cigarettes until you see someone ringing the bell at the front desk

That's part of it though, there is no front desk & there is no bell. The work you do is tracked on timescales of weeks or months. The only time you really get an experience like that is when you get an email/DM/shoulder-tap from your boss or team mate asking you to do something. And the real underlying work that is any sort of deliverable lives in your computer.

So the psychic pain sets in around 2 or 3 in the afternoon, when you're mentally exhausted cause you've been thinking & talking for about 6 hours straight, and you don't want to (or need to) do any concrete work cause it's not really due for a few more weeks, and you're basically just sitting on your thumbs in case your boss messages you at 4:55 with a last minute, ASAP request. All while in the back of your mind you're thinking about your hour commute, and the laundry you have to do, and the groceries to buy, or that new video game you just bought. All of which you COULD be doing, if you didn't have to keep your rear end in your chair to keep up appearances and stick around until 5, just on the minuscule off-chance your boss comes looking for you to ask you for a rush job or rope you into a last minute meeting.

It was on some level just a cage of our own making, but it felt real & was strongly socially reinforced, and WFH alleviates a lot of the problems with it. It can get a little lonely working from home, but there's plenty of ways to solve that.

Anyone who is trying to turn the clock back and get everyone in the office the way it was before the pandemic either doesn't remember what it's like to be a grunt in the office OR has a financial stake in commercial real estate.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Workers that are confined to an office are easier to control and surveil, not just in terms of keeping tabs on unionizing efforts but micromanagement that wrings every erg of work out of employees.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Workers that are confined to an office are easier to control and surveil, not just in terms of keeping tabs on unionizing efforts but micromanagement that wrings every erg of work out of employees.

that's why i decided to apply to hotels in high school, in small places you're the only employee in the building and have a lot of autonomy

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

some plague rats posted:

Makes me think of reading economists from back in the day who thought due to productivity gains the full-time work week would be 15 hours in the future.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No Dignity posted:

As someone who also works a stressful office job I have the exact opposite feeling. Going into the office is just a situation that wastes time that I could actually be doing something, so any socialization makes life more stressful not less. Also I just don't want to be interacting with people I'm forced to be near through coercion. I'd prefer to hang out with actual friends.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 13, 2022

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

No Dignity posted:

End of the day, and this will sound like HR speak, "culture" is probably the most important aspect of working in a "white collar" office job. Businesses that force their people to come back to the office so people "feel good" are often just petty tyrants. Anecdotally:

The place I work employs about 25 people. I left a business that employed around 100. I had a 45 minute commute at the previous job, and even though almost everyone was back in the office by "choice" (there were rolling covid outbreaks the entire time I worked there, and if you got any low level staff member in the right spot, they'd tell you how much they hated coming in the office) I would go entire days without speaking to anyone other than the receptionist at the front desk. This employer heavily monitored the breaks of hourly employees by way of a computer time clock system. It was an insane level of control.

The smaller business has fully embraced remote work, and on average there are 5 people in the office. I go in to the office (commute is 15 minutes) because I have two young children at home. They just want people to get their work done, there are people who have not been in the office since March 2020, and they've even added employees who live out of state. I have had considerably better interactions at the smaller office, everyone seems happier, and actually doesn't seem to mind working - its strange.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Really I can't think of a reason to be in the office for any computer work besides being a petty tyrant or having no real friends, so you use coworkers as surrogates.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

No Dignity posted:

The social element is probably the biggest thing I miss. Before I moved to my current team my old team was primarily people 40+ with kids and other obligations. My new team has a bunch of new guys and they're constantly asking the rest of us if we'd like to go to happy hour or something.

If i'm alone in the office I usually just put on my headphones and listen to a podcast/music while doing work, and then I usually go home when i'm close to the end of my productivity.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Terrible Opinions posted:

Really I can't think of a reason to be in the office for any computer work besides being a petty tyrant or having no real friends, so you use coworkers as surrogates.

From what I have experienced in my workplace, it's usually higher tier managers + older folks who just don't understand you can work remotely. My department tried to make everyone come in 3 times a week and nearly everyone complained so now we have to come in 1 day a week.

I work at a megacorp so your experience may differ.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I find it difficult to collaborate effectively when working remote. Lots of quick little interactions that take 8 seconds in person and much longer than that over phone/Teams.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I worked in a call center office, and now I get to stay at home and play video games between calls

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Greatbacon posted:

Will mentions it obliquely in the form of "rituals", but you basically come up with more poo poo to fill your day. "1:1 catch-up coffees", "team lunches", "duck out early for happy hour", "book/culture/etc. clubs", "chatting at the watercooler", coffee/tea breaks, some folks work out, birthday parties, "office hours", "milestone celebrations", any of a dozen types of meetings that result in a large number of people filling a room towards the end of the day with a beverage in hand, or my personal favorite; poo poo posting on these here forum. at least that was my experience in startup land

And once you get down to the work, you can finally do all of your Work About Work! Plans for Very Important Project that no-one reads. Committees for problems that only exist because the committee exists. Reports about why everything is running late.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The Kingfish posted:

I find it difficult to collaborate effectively when working remote. Lots of quick little interactions that take 8 seconds in person and much longer than that over phone/Teams.

My coworkers are all pretty used to making short calls now. Honestly vastly prefer them messaging me "do you have a moment?" to the equivalent accosting me at my desk when i'm in the office.

There's one guy I hate getting calls from because he drags them out but there's no way the in-person equivalent would be any better, that's just how he is.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

the most important thing is that i can spend half the day playing videogames or otherwise loving around and suffer no consequences

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Going clickety clack at my typey-type job and wouldn’t you know it these darn characters around here just keep me from getting all my work done! Gosh!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm on my first work from home job ever since june and the metrics are paced where if I work as slowly as possible my job lasts longer and therefore get paid more

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/marina0swald/status/1558461903499829248?s=21&t=6IZWFJ2uKVsSLzqSzKJV6Q

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

lmao

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

SORORITY GIRL!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i have programmer friends and some of them really miss being in an office around other people. they're the kind of people that really need social interaction and they were absolutely miserable during covid.

there are definite befits to WFH, but it does hurt when you can't easily ask for help with something. every coder probably knows the feeling of spending half-an-hour on a bug that gets spotted at a glance by fresh eyes.

The Kingfish posted:

yeah, exactly. there's a lot number of times someone explaining something with their unrelated work has triggered an idea for how to handle a problem

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol my sales friends miss the camaraderie but nobody i know who programs has given a poo poo about an office environment at all

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1558830367582199810?t=k40_9E4aD-ew6_VARQ5LAQ&s=19

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only drawback from WFH is that it’s more difficult to organize people. My team was in a windowless room that management almost never visited, and even my direct supervisor was only there three days a week at most, so if I ever needed to talk union stuff I could just get everyone’s attention for a minute. Horrible office environment, incredibly useful for stewarding.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I don't have the social skills to make friends outside of work or the management skills to measure outcomes so you can just spend 50 hours a month commuting and $300 on parking

Wow people don't want to work

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
WFH is exactly like abortion in that the people who want to WFH should be allowed to and anyone who doesn’t should just shut the gently caress up about it forever

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

For me, it's all about choice. Some people like going into the office for whatever reason, and others prefer to skip soul crushing commutes and office drudgery to work from home. They both should be able to choose how their professional lives go, but capitalism doesn't allow for control over your own life because it's more profitable to keep you desperate and miserable.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

evilpicard posted:

I don't have the social skills to make friends outside of work or the management skills to measure outcomes so you can just spend 50 hours a month commuting and $300 on parking

Wow people don't want to work

Lmao this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol my sales friends miss the camaraderie but nobody i know who programs has given a poo poo about an office environment at all

really? coding on large complex projects requires so much collaboration!