Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am not saying it doesn't have nice bonuses in it. But it doesn't have anything making it really worth. There's some edge cases where it's a good idea group but I would say that's less than 1% of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

If there were more atoll-style land areas like Indonesia/Malaysia/etc., I'd say give naval the ability to make coastal forts block movement through adjacent sea tiles, like they do on land. Or make it so that they naturally do, then give naval the ability to bypass it. That'd make for some interesting gameplay.

But there's just not enough sea areas like that to really make it more than a niche, still.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Make naval able to siege coastal land, even forts, as long as the have enough guns.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Playing Anbennar for the first time and chose Venail to get acquainted. Am I right in thinking this is vanilla Portugal and I just keep colonizing until something happens? What am I supposed to be doing

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Read your missions, they'll guide you to colonizing the areas you need for your storyline.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Venail is nothing like Portugal or any vanilla country. The first 60 years or so will be nothing but colonizing (unless cheesing) though, yes.

Verne, as mentioned below, is a very good starter nation.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 27, 2022

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

TropicalCoke posted:

Playing Anbennar for the first time and chose Venail to get acquainted. Am I right in thinking this is vanilla Portugal and I just keep colonizing until something happens? What am I supposed to be doing

Venail is more like Byzantium to Elysia in the New Odyssey mod. You colonize to the near exclusion of all else, pack up and move wholesale to the new old world, and face the social tumult that follows such a monumental shift. There will, with rare exceptions, be a major disaster relatively early in your run that will have severe consequences. I would suggest that although Venail is certainly a unique and engaging experience for someone who genuinely likes colonial gameplay, it's not for beginners or the faint of heart. Verne, at the southern fringes of the Empire, is often cited as a good Portugal analogue, in that it lets you mostly ignore continental politics in favor of colonizing if you want, or vice versa.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I posted my recs earlier

Want to reform the Mongol Empire but tolerant? Jadd
Want to colonize? Venail
Want to just play France? Lorent
Imperial Usurpers (start as emperor) Wex
Wyvern riders and more like Poland in empire? Verne
Spartans with warrior kings? Malacnar
Mages? Magisterium
Really hate elves? Gawed

I'd recommend leaving dwarves, adventurers, vampires etc until later.
There are so many unique and fun areas though.

You can play however but I do recommend pausing at start to read some of the missions. They give a kind of canonical direction to the campaign and most of them are interesting.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You can play however but I do recommend pausing at start to read some of the missions. They give a kind of canonical direction to the campaign and most of them are interesting.

Tell me about it. Reading the descriptions for Venail's successor country's mission tree had me blurt out a series of progressively louder oh no.

Then I got her as my leader.

Karanas fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 28, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Karanas posted:

Tell me about it. Reading the descriptions for Venail's successor country's mission tree had me blurt out a series of progressively louder oh no.

Then I got her as my leader.

She's not even the worst of them! At least she is only Cartoon Villain Evil who is also literally insane. The priest is both completely sane and the embodiment of religious fascism

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Aelnar makes Esthil look good!

I'm gonna say that the adventurer thunderbowl is actually pretty fun for a new player. You get a lot of stuff to do in a small area, learning all the stuff. And bigger guys rarely poke their noses in Escann.

Another interesting choice would be Frozenmaw into Grombar. Founding a half-orc kingdom in the North. Just beware of Gawed.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Nuugdan Tsarai (not-Manchuria) plays very similar to the base game version aka broken as hell.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I think if you are already good at vanilla EU4, dwarves can be fine. It's really just the disasters you have to watch out for.

Any of the tags in Eordand (the square peninsula in the northwest of the new world) are also good beginner nations imo. It's a pretty straightforward thunderdome that leads to a good formable that conquers and converts the rest of the continent. No crazy disasters or confusing unique mechanics.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Played as Venail->Aelnar, did not regret it. Wild ride.

My Queen got hijacked by evil Elsa and removed the centre of government to the middle of a frozen wasteland

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Rynoto posted:

Venail is nothing like Portugal or any vanilla country. The first 60 years or so will be nothing but colonizing (unless cheesing) though, yes.

Yeah, Venail gets loving wild.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

This is my first game in years. Mamluks--Arabia. I've been terrified of the Ottomans all game. I got an alliance with Muscovy and thought that would keep me safe, but in my very first war against the Ottomans they wiped the floor with Persia, enormous Muscovy, and I and I don't believe we made a dent in their manpower reserves. I haven't played since the update where they added sailors. I thought I was figuring things out pretty well but I don't know how I will crack this nut. I would love to get Poland and Austria involved but they're just as scared as I am. What can I do here? I'm also not sure about how a bunch of new mechanics work--I still haven't embraced the printing press, for example.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Unfortunately, the longer you put off dealing with the Ottos, the tougher they get. Best to strangle them in the crib if you can.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I haven't played since the update where they added sailors.

jesus christ thats a long break
there are a lotttt of new mechanics you could leverage

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Mamluks can go 1v1 against the Ottomans in the 1440s. Build a ton of galleys and focus on sieges, fight as little as possible.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Various Meat Products posted:

Mamluks can go 1v1 against the Ottomans in the 1440s. Build a ton of galleys and focus on sieges, fight as little as possible.
Yeah, if you can manage to eat the beyliks first, there's lots of good places to put up forts and really bottleneck them in lovely hills and/or mountain provinces. It's practically easy if you pounce while they're fighting a major war in Europe.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I did a Mamluks to Rûm WC a while back (grabbing the Arabia achievement on the way and then reloading, and also putting off finishing the Ottos and actually forming Rûm until I could get the one for guaranteeing them, France, and Russia), and I started building spy network in the Ottomans on day one, then attacked them once I had a claim and had diplovassalized a couple of the Anatolian minors. You don't want to let them take Constantinople. Hit them early and take land from which you can fabricate on the Byzantines. Also (too late but) don't form Arabia, their ideas aren't really any better than Mamluk ideas and I think you lose the government type. And they're an endgame tag and don't even have missions, when Rûm is right there and it's easy to culture shift to Turkish after eating Anatolia.

e: Oh and you really should get Printing Press embraced. You probably have +50% cost on all tech categories by 1600 if you don't have it, unless you're already behind in tech.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 5, 2022

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
My friend and I are about to start a coop Horde campaign as either the Jianzhou or the Haxi. I’ve only played two games as Spain and Vijayanagar so I’ll be more out of my depth than usual.

Anyone have any tips so I can at least pretend to know what I’m doing?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Staltran posted:

Also (too late but) don't form Arabia, their ideas aren't really any better than Mamluk ideas and I think you lose the government type. And they're an endgame tag and don't even have missions, when Rûm is right there and it's easy to culture shift to Turkish after eating Anatolia.

just checked and you do keep the mamluk government type if you form arabia as the mamluks, so that's good at least.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

My friend and I are about to start a coop Horde campaign as either the Jianzhou or the Haxi. I’ve only played two games as Spain and Vijayanagar so I’ll be more out of my depth than usual.

Anyone have any tips so I can at least pretend to know what I’m doing?

1. Always raze, always
2. Run 100% cav armies until you get cannons, then run 100% cav + cannons
3. Dev push gold mines for your institutions, you have infinite mana so devving mountains doesn't matter
4. Hordes are tremendously OP in the current state of EU4 and continue to get buffed every patch. Just fight and burn everyone constantly and you'll be fine.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
For Manchu games also note that you get free cores on the entire Manchurian region when forming it, and then if you go on to form Qing and wipe out Ming you also get free cores on the entirety of China through your mission tree, which will save you a ton of admin/diplo points and let you insta-annex any Chinese vassals.

If you want to take the mandate of heaven (which you don't have to, you could also stay horde) do not let your corruption rise out of control by recruiting too many banners early because that will lead to a mandate death spiral.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
In 1.33 anyone who takes the Mandate gets free cores on all Chinese provinces (that they occupy in a Unify China war).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is there a mod that makes trade flow from nodes in either direction like meiou does but isnt also a massive overhaul that massively tanks the games speed?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-development-diary-9th-of-august-2022.1538228/

Some interesting new achievements in there

edit: No enhancements to Defensive or Defensive's horrific policies makes me sad.

edit2: I cant wait to play a game as Poland where I get free Cavalry that has close to 100% cav combat ability

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 9, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Freeing the world from slavery will be hard, but I wanna try anyway.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-development-diary-9th-of-august-2022.1538228/

Some interesting new achievements in there

edit: No enhancements to Defensive or Defensive's horrific policies makes me sad.

edit2: I cant wait to play a game as Poland where I get free Cavalry that has close to 100% cav combat ability
Hanukkah Mutapa is genius.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Morale is supposed to be more important in the new version than currently, right? That would be a kind of buff to defensive

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Local Defender Dice Roll is actually a pretty cool modifier for ramparts.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Hanukkah Mutapa is genius.

All the best achievements are based on horrible puns.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Groke posted:

All the best achievements are based on horrible puns.
It’s also going to be grueling to get to the only Jewish provinces before Ethiopia converts them. Even though they slowed down Ethiopia converting them. Should be fun.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I was bored in a meeting and did the math. As Poland you will be able to get up to 90% off of your cavalry with just a little effort:
20% Polish ideas
20% Aristocratic
10% Quantity
10% Kremlin (at tier 3)
10% Ariso+Econ
10%* Cossacks

* Cossacks can waver from zero to 20%; if they are giving you 20% your cav are 90% off. I have 10% listed because I have found that to be the average.

With that you'll also be rocking a baseline of 48% combat ability plus up to 20% from Cossacks

edit: and I think Poland can get some ludicrous cav-to-infantry % boost from its new insane mission tree

edit2: I may have to do that Tengri Poland meme just for shits

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 10, 2022

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Patch comes out on the 25th, in case anyone missed it

https://twitter.com/E_Universalis/status/1557728713797554177

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What the... is that a real King Christian II letter? That’s amazing

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

What the... is that a real King Christian II letter? That’s amazing

:allears:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

This is my first EU4 patch - am I best off trying to finish off any 1.33 saves I've got going before it drops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Older game versions are usually available to roll back to via Steam beta branches. If you’re running any mods it can get weird if they start to update for the new patch while you play the old one, though.