Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I hope it’s something terrible like Ortolan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

I mean, it doesn't really matter if she named her kids Tit and Murder Creek. It never gets old when people get offended for posting their PMs on social media.

E: Satanic Nightjar and Fishkill

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
There were a few years where I didn’t wear my wedding ring because it was uncomfortable, and I didn’t really realize how much attention some women apparently pay to that as a signal of availability. Mistake number one.

One night at the supermarket checkout line I heard a Millennial single mom a few years younger than me trying to explain to the Zoomer clerk what The Simpsons was, and I made an offhand comment about how it was a great show for a number of years, but that the best writers left for Futurama some time ago. Mistake number two.

This was apparently taken as flirting. She asked me if I wanted to come over and watch some Futurama at her place right now. I didn’t hear her at first and asked her to repeat herself. Mistake number three.

When she did, I froze up like a deer in the headlights . I had been married for 15 years at this point and hadn’t ever been really great at flirting anyway before that. I was not used to anyone other than my wife paying attention to me, and she barely did. I stammered, “Um, uh, no thanks?” And clammed up while turning red.

She huffed, “Well, you can’t blame a girl for trying!” And stormed off with her groceries and kid.

The checkout gal turned bright red herself and broke down laughing. I looked at her and said, “I froze, but I’m old and very married.. I feel terrible. Is it possible to have negative game?”

The clerk told me it was the funniest thing she had ever seen at work.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not baking an extra cupcake for my colleague?

quote:

I (24/F) love baking, and I LOVE sharing my baked goods too. I generally get along with everyone else in the office except for this one guy (36/M) , which I will call Leo (not real name) whom I wasn't on very good terms with because of the events that happened years ago when I first joined the company years ago as a fresh graduate.

Leo complained that I am "lazy", hates "cleaning up after my mistakes" and I made him "vomit blood". I did ask him for mentoring help to generate the reports in the way he expects but he didn't want to. Instead he asked me to look at his report and "follow his style". Fortunately I was redeployed to another role by in the same department with a better mentor. We don't talk to each other since.

My birthday fell on a Sunday. I decided to bake cupcakes for everyone in the office as form of celebration, to be given on Friday of that week.

I considered baking one for him but decided against it because of how tried to share food but was rejected. I believed that even if I made him the cupcake, he would turn it down in way way which will make me "loss face" in front of everyone in the office.

For practical reasons too, I decided to make 24 cupcakes (only have a 12 hole cupcake tray) there would be only 2 rounds of baking. There was 25 people in the office excluding me.

So on Friday, I came into office with a box of cupcakes, which took me the whole night to bake and I also woke up early to put the frosting in.

Right after lunch, I went from table to table offering my colleagues a cupcake each and everyone was appreciative of it. When I reached Leo's table, I tried offering it to him. As expected, he said no, but in manner I find to be pretty respectful.

After distributing the cupcakes, one of my colleague came up to me and asked for the extra cupcake that Leo rejected. I told my colleague I actually baked just enough for the office, excluding Leo, so there was no extra cupcake. My colleague looks shocked so I told her that baking the cupcakes didn't come cheap and since Leo was going to reject it anyway, I didn't bake more. I also told her about the limits of my oven and I just simply didn't have enough time to do three rounds of baking only to be turned down at the end.

When I came back on Monday, word has apparently spread to everyone in my department how Leo didn't "get" a cupcake and I left him out him intentionally. Leo didn't say anything to me about the cupcake thing but I was told by a colleague that he was really upset and he "really loved cupcakes", and would have "came around if I had just left some in the fridge and leave him alone to get it".

So Reddit, am I the rear end in a top hat for baking 24 cupcakes instead of more? I mean I could do just one more round in the oven with ONE or two more cupcakes but it would be a waste of electricity and my time

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not baking an extra cupcake for my colleague?

gently caress off.

She asked if he wanted a cupcake, he said no. Story over.

The person trying to scam the extra cupcake for themselves is the arsehole here. If anything, good on OP for anticipating the cupcake needs of the office, and not wasting food.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Why did you ever tell them???? Like its so easy "nope none left" let them try to figure it out.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Why did you ever tell them???? Like its so easy "nope none left" let them try to figure it out.

OP posted:

Hi, thanks for your reply, now to think about it I really be on the spectrum...I have a tendency to over explain myself...Which could be the reason why Leo dislikes me...😅

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ah well yep. Ok yeah that'll do it.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for telling my friend her major sucks and she should pick a different one?

quote:

Me and my friend are both 17F. We are in the middle of the college application process and I am planning on majoring in computer science for various reasons (mainly financial) and she is planning on majoring in philosophy.

She told me multiple times she doesn’t really know what she wants to do and she’s just picking a major that seems fun and easy. In my opinion she’s being stupid. She’s going to waste so much time and money on going to college just for a degree that won’t get her anywhere in life. I’ve tried explaining this to her in a nice and somewhat subtle way but she really doesn’t care what I have to say.

I tried explaining to her about taking a gap year to figure out what she wants to do but she’s highly against the idea because she said her parents told her multiple times they would disown her if she did. (honestly her parents wouldn’t they’re just trying to scare my friend into going to college right after highschool)

anyways, today at her house we had a major fight because again i was trying to convince her to do something like nursing or finance like something that won’t have her working paycheck to paycheck. i even tried explain to her how she could go to go to law school or med school after her undergrad so she could have a decent salary. but she ignored me. didn’t even look at me for most of it.

i was so mad. I just want my friend to be financially free.

I yelled at told her how stupid she was being, and although she’s rich now she won’t be rich in the future if she majors in philosophy and that if she truly likes philosophy that much she can watch some videos on youtube. I told her that majoring in philosophy sucks and no smart person would ever major in it without even thinking about how much money they would be making in the future.

Lilly, my friend just looked at me and started crying. Of course i felt horrible but it was true. She called her mom and told her what I said. I apologized multiple times so she could stop crying. She didn’t. I was kicked out of her house and she’s blocked me.

Honestly i think I might have been harsh but at the same time her major sucks rear end.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

philosophy

I knew it lmao

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I knew it was lib Arts but I would have bet on English or History because of the "fun and easy" part. I'm sure some people can find philosophy fun but mostly it's folks who are already into it, not those who "don't know what they want to do". Eng or history sound more accessible (of course advanced classes can be tough - to an extent)

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 15, 2022

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Invisible Clergy posted:

Goddamn STEM people. (Says the STEM graduate)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Surely Tit and Titicaca

Pigeon and Puddle

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
r/relationships: i really be on the spectrum

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I hate that I agree that picking philosophy as a major because you just want an easy ride through college is a very bad idea. It's one thing to pursue the degree because you're passionate about it, maybe you could do something with it then, but half-assing a philosophy degree just seems like a recipe for a jobless early young adulthood

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Invisible Clergy posted:

Is it true you have to send in a photo with your job application in Europe?

IDK, what the gently caress is a Europe?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

it is extremely common for kids to change majors and going in to college planning for flexibility rather than immediately committing to a single pathway is a good thing

her plan is better

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
oh yeah, plenty of folks start with a generic major or 'easy' major and then switch to something else when they figure out more of what they want. but if that person ends up not switching majors bc that's too much effort, then yeah poo poo will be rough for them once they hit the real world

OP is still the rear end in a top hat

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

op says theyre friend is rich in the post, so why cant she study philosophy? Seems to me like the plan here is go to college like her parents want so as not to be cut off. I say go embrace your destiny as the philosophy failchild.

E: Philosophailchild

Biplane fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 15, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
In my office a philosophy major would be seen as someone with a BA and that's kind of it. If they had any kind of clinical or research experience, even like working reception at a clinic or as an assistant to a researcher, they'd probably qualify as second-level for entry, if their work experience was customer service only, then entry level would be fine. This is of course assuming they can or together a coherent cover letter and format a resume in a reasonable way.

Several of my coworkers and bosses came out of restaurant and bar scenes, I was in retail before starting at entry level, with a BS in a 100% unrelated area of study. Sometimes just having a degree, therefore showing you can dedicate yourself enough to a task at that base minimum level, is enough.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 15, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ah, welcome to the life of being on the spectrum. Everyone is mad at you all the time for reasons you could never have hoped to figure out and they sure as gently caress won't tell you until it's way too late!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

She should have said she ate it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah it's a simple and elegant solution so if course it's off the table for redditors.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I hate that I agree that picking philosophy as a major because you just want an easy ride through college is a very bad idea. It's one thing to pursue the degree because you're passionate about it, maybe you could do something with it then, but half-assing a philosophy degree just seems like a recipe for a jobless early young adulthood

On the other hand she's rich, so whatever OP thinks of her major odds are she'll stay rich.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Nobody gives a poo poo about what a 17 year old wants to major in. Someone gloating about their major is almost as annoying as students who add “future doctor” to their signature.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Aha, I dropped out as a philosophy major and later completed a BSEE. Electrical engineering was a breeze compared to philosophy.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

There was def no need to confront her over the major, either she ends up really enjoying it or she changes majors. Either way it sounds like OP is more jealous that the friend has rich parents and a safety net than they are mad about the choice of major.

Also my kids’ names are Woody Woodpecker and Toad

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Baron von Eevl posted:

Sometimes just having a degree, therefore showing you can dedicate yourself enough to a task at that base minimum level, is enough.

It's this.

A BA qualifies you for any entry-level office job with no other experience. You will have demonstrated that you can:

Work singly and in groups on assigned projects, and present your results.
Plays well with arbitrary members of your peer group.
Do research and report findings.
Succeed at required tasks you didn't personally choose to do.

This is stuff you have to be able to do to contribute in an office environment. Make it a gender or ethic studies degree and our patient advocate group would love to see your resume or meet you at a job faire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mllaneza posted:

It's this.

A BA qualifies you for any entry-level office job with no other experience. You will have demonstrated that you can:

This is stuff you have to be able to do to contribute in an office environment. Make it a gender or ethic studies degree and our patient advocate group would love to see your resume or meet you at a job faire.

You sound like a 00s guidance counsellor!

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

(M18) My girlfriend (F18) started dating me as a punishment

quote:

She asked me out three months ago. I was surprised but said yes. Fast forward to today and it’s only now that I know she only asked me out because other girls on the football team forced her to. They forced her to ask out and date me, a dork, as a way of punishing her for making our school lose an important match.

I overheard her friends saying this and confronted her about this. She admitted that this was why she asked me out but she might have started to catch real feelings for me. She doesn’t know what she really feels yet. I don’t know if I can trust her again after this though. How do I determine if I can trust her again?

What movie did op steal this plot from? She's All That? Grease? Olivia Newton-John just died, i'm going with Grease.

"Summer lovin' had me a blast~"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
WIBTA if I confess my feelings to my best friend when she's going through a pretty rough patch?

quote:

I [20M] have known her [20F] since we were 12. We went to the same highschool and were already friends back then, but not that close. Ironically, once highschool ended and we went to different universities, we grew much closer to the point where we call each other best friends now.

Well, these past few months I have been catching feelings for her to the point where now I'm constantly thinking about her all day, waiting for the next time we hang out, etc. you know the deal. Lately I have been gathering the courage to confess my feelings because I need to let it out, but I'm worried I'll be making everything harder for her.

Her mother has cancer and it doesn't look too good. She underwent surgery 2 weeks ago and will start chemotherapy soon and this has her very stressed, specially taking into account she lives with her only. On top of that her mother isn't the easiest person to deal with which frequently leads to arguments that make everything harder. She's also been very stressed with work and university, has very little free time and hasn't had holidays in over a year.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't feel the same for me and I guess it's not easy to deal with your best friend telling you he's basically in love with you when it's not mutual. I feel like it'd be selfish from me to add that to her already tough situation but at the same time I feel like I need to let it out.

So, WIBTA?

Do it. Do it. Throw a loving grenade on your friendship.

AITA for telling my nephew the truth about his father and possibly ruining my sister’s marriage?

quote:

My sister and her first husband divorced when my nephew (17) was ten. She ended up moving out of state and last year they moved back home. I’ve been spending a lot of time with my nephew and niece she has with her now husband.

I was going to do some last-minute shopping for dinner when my sister asked would I pick up my nephew from a friend’s and bring him home. Since the store is on the way to her house, I took my nephew with me. Well, I get the things I need, and we get in line. I noticed my nephew staring off and I try to look to see what he’s looking at, but I’m only 5’4, while he towers at 6’4. He takes off in the direction he’s looking in an aggressive manner.

I take off behind him because my intuition and the signs he was giving off said something was about to happen. Nephew has a deep voice, so it carries, I hear him cursing someone explicitly out, calling them all kinds of mf bums, sorry mf’s, you’re a sorry p*ssy! It’s none other than my sister’s ex husband who is standing in line with his wife and their children, who are terrified and crying. It dawned on me my sister hadn’t told him the truth. It took some minutes because he was that livid, thankfully my pleas of begging him to stop subdued him. I apologized to the ex and his wife and grabbed my nephew’s hand and pulled him out the store, but by this time the police had been called.

Thankfully they understood it was a misunderstanding. The ex-had no hard feelings. The police spoke to all parties involved and we were let go. I explained to my nephew that the ex isn’t his father, leaving the brash details of everything out. (My sister had an affair while married, got pregnant, and passed my nephew off on her husband as if he was his. Husband found out which resulted in divorce.)

My nephew has been under the impression that this man just up and left them to start another family. Well, my nephew confronts her about it, as so did I. I had to explain to her that things could have gone very bad for us, especially him if I hadn’t been there all because she chose to live with a lie. My nephew is so full of rage, which is nothing more than emotional torture of thinking his father left him and his mother. I told her she was wrong and that she dropped the ball on being a mother.

She got our immediate family involved. They sided with me, even her husband, who I have learned has taken their daughter and left because she had painted the ex in a bad light. Now I do have some aunts and cousins who felt it wasn’t my place to tell my nephew the truth. That I crossed a boundary. AITA?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
“Hey folks, I clearly did the right thing here, everyone who knows everything agrees with me, but my third cousin twice removed disagrees. AITA?”

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

mllaneza posted:

It's this.

You also learn all that stuff in elementary school :eng101:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Kuiperdolin posted:

I knew it was lib Arts but I would have bet on English or History because of the "fun and easy" part. I'm sure some people can find philosophy fun but mostly it's folks who are already into it, not those who "don't know what they want to do". Eng or history sound more accessible (of course advanced classes can be tough - to an extent)

tbh I was originally a computer science major who switched to English Lit because I was about to fail out of college

It was actually fun and easy for me but that's because I like literary analyses and poo poo like that. Once you get high up there it does become a hell of a lot tougher

I will say, however, I have no clue what the hell you do with a philosophy major unless you're intent on going into academia

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Biplane posted:

You also learn all that stuff in elementary school :eng101:

Yeah I've been asked a lot more of "Oh you have a degree in X, but we don't really need someone with those skills".

If you're rich and going to school just cuz, sure get a degree in whatever.

If you expect to have to work for a living, you should treat college as job training and make sure to get the right training for jobs that you want to do. And check the cost of the education against the expected increase in earnings vs having no diploma.

I don't think that's actually good for society to treat college that way, but here we are.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Cowslips Warren posted:

WIBTA if I confess my feelings to my best friend when she's going through a pretty rough patch?

Do it. Do it. Throw a loving grenade on your friendship.

AITA for telling my nephew the truth about his father and possibly ruining my sister’s marriage?

You know, when you raise a kid for ten years as his father, you're the kid's father as far as they're concerned. It's cold as hell to just abandon them. I mean, I get that it would be super painful as a spouse, but I can't imagine loving a kid for ten years and then noping out on them because they don't share my genetics.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Bonster posted:

You know, when you raise a kid for ten years as his father, you're the kid's father as far as they're concerned. It's cold as hell to just abandon them. I mean, I get that it would be super painful as a spouse, but I can't imagine loving a kid for ten years and then noping out on them because they don't share my genetics.
As an adoptive parent I agree with this 100%. But wow I can't imagine the sense of betrayal here, 10 years of his wife lying to him, not knowing which of her family/friends knew the truth, CHRIST that's painful just to imagine.

Also love the (ex) wife keeping up the lying poo poo with the kid. Jesus.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Remulak posted:

As an adoptive parent I agree with this 100%. But wow I can't imagine the sense of betrayal here, 10 years of his wife lying to him, not knowing which of her family/friends knew the truth, CHRIST that's painful just to imagine.

Also love the (ex) wife keeping up the lying poo poo with the kid. Jesus.

Yeah, this family is seriously hosed up. That poor kid - abandoned by Dad, lied to by Mom, everyone just letting him suffer to keep up a pretty lie.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I will say, however, I have no clue what the hell you do with a philosophy major unless you're intent on going into academia

I knew a guy who got a philosophy degree and then went to seminary, which is probably a much better qualifier to preach a religion than whatever most people get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Affair partner also hasn't stepped up.