Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ror posted:

I love that Keaton is willing to come back as Batman in the same way as all the MCU multiverse stuff, but it’s hilarious to me how many chips are getting pushed into his corner as all this stuff unfolds. I have a hard time believing that he’s going to come onboard as a central part of the DC movies moving forward. If he’s really all in then I suppose it’s pretty cool if they used one of these multiverse characters as more than just a cameo in one film.

There's rumors they decided to keep Affleck so they rewrote the flash ending to keep him as Batman instead of Keaton being the current one.

I have no clue if that's real, the movie sounds like a loving mess though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah the rumors of reshooting Aquaman to put Affleck back in came out like 2 days before the news Batgirl was shelved.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

I have no clue if that's real, the movie sounds like a loving mess though.

If it weren't for the reminding people to use they/them for Miller, I think this should be the thread title.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This movie is legitimately cursed. Even before the Miller stuff it had like, multiple directors drop out, some of which were pretty good!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also Ezra Miller and Grant Morrison wrote a script treatment together which then also got rejected.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The exact group of people you expect are trying to claim that The Batman was plagarized.

https://twitter.com/TheNuGeekz/status/1558742667433021442?s=20&t=PtYi6v-fyidE1kCS5KC5Pg

I'm not going to watch the interview, don't want to give it more views. How anyone can look at the film an not see the books that inspired in on the screen is beyond me. Does anyone know who this Wozniak guy is?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
He did some random minor marvel and DC books. Doesn't have a Wikipedia article, which tells you everything you need to know.

Google says he recently lost his house to a tornado.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wozniak apparently has... 800 followers on Twitter, in case you needed a quick barometer of credibility

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Joe Fisto posted:

The exact group of people you expect are trying to claim that The Batman was plagarized.

I mean, it IS a pretty slam-dunk case

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

'Expose the truth about the afterlife.' Hmm. Yes. Point for point match.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I want to read this script where Batman doesn't prevent Armageddon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

'Expose the truth about the afterlife.' Hmm. Yes. Point for point match.

Oh drat, I didn't even read that far because "Batman at end of career = Batman at beginning of career!" is as open & shut as things can get.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even if his ideas were used in The Batman I don't know what he expects out of it. Like the miniscule amount that WB would pay him? Nobody gives comic writers credit or big money for writing stories that get adapted.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This is the kind of wild swing at pattern matching you really only see in someone developing schizophrenic ideations or making desperate Hail Mary lunges for settlement money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really want my name in the "Special Thanks" part of the credits at the very end after all the technical credits and slightly before all the tax break credits.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

live with fruit posted:

I want to read this script where Batman doesn't prevent Armageddon.

isn't that the scott snyder comic where he travels around with joker's reanimated head in a bird cage

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lobok posted:

Besides, how many Batman stories have used each of these elements already? I'm sure you could go back through 80+ years and find a short pile of floppies in which the majority of either column are story elements.

You might even say that a creative Batman story doesn't even require a new element, just the use of previously used story elements in novel ways. (Creating a new element in a Batman story gets you a "very creative" rating, which isn't necessarily equal to "very good" -- Miller's ASB&R, I'm looking at you.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is he referring to an actual comic he wrote, or an idea he submitted to DC?

Joe Fisto posted:

Wait until they hear about Watchmen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admiralty Flag posted:

Besides, how many Batman stories have used each of these elements already? I'm sure you could go back through 80+ years and find a short pile of floppies in which the majority of either column are story elements.

I remember there was a thing last year, maybe (time has lost all meaning), which made a big to do about establishing Batman was an atheist. (Possibly unsurprisingly it was Tom King.) I think that's as close as he gets to proving the truth about the afterlife.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

lol

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1558922240858603520

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dang, I can't believe he is the first person ever to write a Batman story with a corrupt government

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It'd be worth it to have him on the press tour

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Unironically okay with this

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I love the commitment to the bit.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I watched Wozniak's Batman video. As others have stated the vast majority of elements are so broad and archetypal to the Batman character and stories in general that one could use the same claims to argue Wozniak's original pitch is itself plagiarised. If The Batman (2022) featuring a corrupt Gotham with Jim Gordon as the last honest cop makes it a ripoff of Wozniak's work, then surely by extension Wozniak's work is a ripoff of Year One.

The only places where there is some form of palpable (yet still incredibly tenuos) similarity is that the Riddler's scheme is merely a preamble to a more destructive attack, that he "discovers" Bruce Wayne's identity, the Joker appears at the end, and that Batman rediscovers a sense of hope. But, when you think about all of those in any depth the claim of plagiarism falls apart. A villians scheme being an initial smokescreen for a more wider ranging attack intending to kill lots of people occurs in Batman, Batman Returns, all three Nolan Batman films and kind of BvS as well. The Riddler "discovering" (in quotes as The Riddler doesn't actually discover it in the 2022 film) Batman's identity is one of the go to plot beats for The Riddler and occurs in Batman Forever as well. The Joker being revealed at the end was one of the most criticised parts of The Batman partly because it felt so obvious and Batman rediscovering hope, again, is pretty much a common bit of catharsis for any cynical detective character.

In conclusion, incredibly dumb. But the lesson to be learned is to keep your email address private if you have any high ranking position in DC or WB as anyone can send you the most bog standard Batman pitch and then create a nontreversy about plagiarism. Also, I find Wozniak claiming that his fight is for comic creator rights to be really gross.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Will he be the first person who wrote, acted and drawn for Marvel? Did Stan Lee draw stuff?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

cant cook creole bream posted:

Will he be the first person who wrote, acted and drawn for Marvel? Did Stan Lee draw stuff?

Frank Miller as "Man with Pencil in Forehead" in Daredevil

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1558933902386860032?s=20&t=y8ACfiqixK7Vi4ruAFzoLA

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
People itt don’t know how to Twitter

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

calling it, the MCU's first acting oscar

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Do not sleep on these six seconds

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The @ being left unchanged is such a good bit

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pigbuster posted:

The @ being left unchanged is such a good bit

...SONOVA!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
HBO Max Layoffs have begun.

15% of all staff that work for the content departments at HBO Max and HBO (with the total overwhelmingly tilted towards HBO Max) have been laid off.

The unscripted and live-action family programming divisions were mostly eliminated (possibly to merge with Discovery+ and not that there will be 0 people working there). The "reality" content division was shut down entirely.

Casting, acquisitions and international divisions received less significant layoffs.

WB/D thought HBO Max's creative division already had too much stuff that could be done by HBO and with Discovery+ staff now in the mix, they saw no reason to keep those divisions.

quote:

When executives at AT&T, HBO’s former parent company, decided to bring a new streaming service to market, they hired a dedicated programming team for HBO Max, including scripted and unscripted divisions to help accelerate the number of TV shows that could be produced for the new streaming service. The new programming team was originally separate from HBO’s pre-existing programming team.

Now, that plan has been readjusted. Executives believed that the nonfiction division at HBO Max already had significant overlap with HBO, which has had a dedicated and celebrated documentary division for decades, as well as Discovery, which owns HGTV, the Food Network and TLC, networks all known for reality programming.

The new company is $50 billion in debt and part of the reason so many changes have been happening so fast is that they want to pull the band-aid off quickly to readjust to their new strategy and find a way to meet their goal of $3 billion in cost savings before the end of 2022.

quote:

Warner Bros. Discovery, which began as HBO’s parent company in April when AT&T spun off WarnerMedia and merged it with Discovery Inc., has a crushing debt load of more than $50 billion. Executives at the new company have vowed to find $3 billion worth of savings, and significant layoffs are expected at the company in the coming weeks, particularly in areas where WarnerMedia and Discovery have overlap.

They are eliminating the original content division at HBO Max and folding it into HBO proper.

quote:

Sarah Aubrey, the head of original content at HBO Max, will now oversee the drama division for HBO Max, as well as a new assignment to work on international programming, the people said. Suzanna Makkos, an executive in charge of HBO Max’s comedy slate, will now report into Amy Gravitt, the head of comedy at HBO.

Some existing unscripted series that are HBO Max exclusive may still survive.

quote:

The unscripted programming team at HBO Max made reality fare like “FBOY Island,” and “Selena + Chef.” Unscripted series that HBO executives deem to be successful will continue airing, one of the people said.

Some of it does make a lot of sense, but it also seems to confirm the previous reports that new streaming-exclusive original content is mostly dead.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/15/business/media/hbo-max-layoffs.html

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 15, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh thank god. The fuckboys were spared.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
How the gently caress does a company get 50 billion dollars worth of debt?

You know when you have 50 billion dollars of debt perhaps firing the lowest people on the ladder isn't the solution but rather firing the people that put you in that situation in the first place.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Prob possibly bc Discovery took that amount of debt in the loan to buy Warners. It's classic capitalism

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Madkal posted:

You know when you have 50 billion dollars of debt perhaps firing the lowest people on the ladder isn't the solution but rather firing the people that put you in that situation in the first place.

They were only 49 billion in debt but then they got rid of all the execs who caused that and had to fund their golden parachutes

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Madkal posted:

During the merger, Discovery agreed to pay out WB's shareholders and take on all of the company's debt. The new WB/D company has only existed for about 4 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Big trouble on the set of Black Adam, could cause delays.