Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dang, all BG2 has is text localization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

Elvenhair is a really stupid surname for an elf

I think he’s a human? Still kinda weird, what does it mean to have elven hair

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

L'oreal

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jay Rust posted:

I think he’s a human? Still kinda weird, what does it mean to have elven hair

Wiki sez he is elven

Also elves are supposed to have nice hair I imagine. Tolkien elves had nice everything, in any case

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just sayin', I think this is why my brain has always read Fire beard Elven hair.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Can elves grow beards?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Suspicious posted:

Can elves grow beards?

Not normally, it's one of the ways to discern a half-elf

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can confirm that:

1) Baldur's Gate's localizations are fully voiced, at least in French
2) He's Perleflamme Chevuex-d'Elfe

1) I played BG1 a few years ago (on PC) in French and I don't remember it being voiced, though I well remember the monologue about inserting an object the size of Elmnister's hat. That is evergeen in any language.
2) Échec et mat! on the name issue, but you misspelled/mistyped cheveux

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oh wow this webpage says that the European localizations contain full voice work, afaik that's NOT the case of either Pillars if Eternity or Kingmaker. Now I want to see if Steam includes that.

Salut! C'est moi, Imoen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cLuxizt_Es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhlCrKBxLQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBXA-eqIt58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ZKwYAxxso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GoDokw5a_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbSP6yCg5rg

A veritable treasure trove of VA.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The spanish VA for BG2 were pretty great btw.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

The spanish VA for BG2 were pretty great btw.

"Drow, żacaso nos vas a entretener con otra de tus historias? Sin duda no pueden ser más que otra sarta de confusas mentiras, no acabo de comprender por qué te sigues molestando".

:bang:

For context, in the retail Spanish version, this was one a line of Jaheira's dialog with Viconia that somehow got mapped as her hurt sound bit so you had to listen to that a few times per encounter, sometimes even over itself in a "You must gather your party" fashion.

It took me a second or third run until I heard the line in context. 15-year-old me had previously thought that Jaheira was just so pissed at Viconia she had to spurt that in the middle of battle every single time.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ulvino posted:

"Drow, ¿acaso nos vas a entretener con otra de tus historias? Sin duda no pueden ser más que otra sarta de confusas mentiras, no acabo de comprender por qué te sigues molestando".

:bang:

For context, in the retail Spanish version, this was one a line of Jaheira's dialog with Viconia that somehow got mapped as her hurt sound bit so you had to listen to that a few times per encounter, sometimes even over itself in a "You must gather your party" fashion.

It took me a second or third run until I heard the line in context. 15-year-old me had previously thought that Jaheira was just so pissed at Viconia she had to spurt that in the middle of battle every single time.

I meant the quality of the voice acting in general, some translations were admittedly not great and the way certain lines were spammed constantly made them specially annoying. The standout was Irenicus voice acting, which was incredibly good, even better than the original, I dare say.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, there ARE voiced localizations for BG2, but maybe not on steam? I wonder if GOG has them..

JustJeff88 posted:

2) Échec et mat! on the name issue, but you misspelled/mistyped cheveux

Merci.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Double post.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Dis donc, une petite histoire de Trollope et queues-bouchons?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Empty Sandwich posted:

queues-bouchons?

Tell me this is an automated translation for cocktail.

edit: ah actually no, that doesn't work. I'm at a loss.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

FishMcCool posted:

Tell me this is an automated translation for cocktail.

edit: ah actually no, that doesn't work. I'm at a loss.

no, I was entirely faking it. I was hoping that was clear from the first element. :razz:

e: the French word for cocktail is cocktail (for real this time)

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 12, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Empty Sandwich posted:

no, I was entirely faking it. I was hoping that was clear from the first element. :razz:

Fair play then, queues-bouchons looked like a pretty legit automated literal mistranslation. :)

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

docbeard posted:

Come to think of it, is it a single book worth 10,000 gp or 10,000 gp worth of books because I can see some rear end in a top hat turning up with a wheelbarrow full of The History Of The Dead Three (and that's how Firebead Elvenhair got into Candlekeep)

I read your post and laughed at the image of a red-bearded elf pushing a wheelbarrow full of those books up to the gate; the guards look at him and he just deadpans, "What?" Like some maniac paying a $600 fine in pennies.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Guard mutters to himself "So hard to find decent folks nowadays..."

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oh wow this webpage says that the European localizations contain full voice work, afaik that's NOT the case of either Pillars if Eternity or Kingmaker. Now I want to see if Steam includes that.

Salut! C'est moi, Imoen!

IIRC Baldur's Gate 1 wasn't localized in Italian in terms of VO, but BG2 was and had a pretty good dub, though Irenicus wasn't as impactful as David Warner. Throne of Bhaal had voice acting so bad that I literally tried to install it in English on an italian installation once.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Edwin trying to make some quarterlings

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The initial party draw in SoD for a neutral good character is kind of poor for me playing a bard. Minsc is my only true front line fighter because the other fighter is an archer kit.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It's way worse for an evil party. Dorn is the only frontliner and they get him pretty late.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

It's way worse for an evil party. Dorn is the only frontliner and they get him pretty late.

Sod seems like it wanted to punish rest spam too because you will get ambushed constantly in enemy areas if you try to rest. The incidence of that happening feels significantly higher than in any of the other bg campaigns. So if you're an evil party and are thinking oh whatever I'll just have Edwin and Baeloth tank.....that's gonna be hard unless you run back to your camp a lot to rest at the inn.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Vargatron posted:

The initial party draw in SoD for a neutral good character is kind of poor for me playing a bard. Minsc is my only true front line fighter because the other fighter is an archer kit.

My front line in BG1, BG2, as a Bard, is Minsc and Jaheria with my Bard (Con 16, negligible Str and Dex) pinch hitting as necessary - do you find Jaheria can't cut it? She's a fighter Druid..

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Jack B Nimble posted:

My front line in BG1, BG2, as a Bard, is Minsc and Jaheria with my Bard (Con 16, negligible Str and Dex) pinch hitting as necessary - do you find Jaheria can't cut it? She's a fighter Druid..

Jaheira comes in somewhat later in SoD.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Psycho Landlord posted:

Jaheira comes in somewhat later in SoD.

Weird, she was in my party at the start, but it was an import. Unless that was just for a prologue, I only played a bit before setting it aside for a subsequent play through.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jack B Nimble posted:

Weird, she was in my party at the start, but it was an import. Unless that was just for a prologue, I only played a bit before setting it aside for a subsequent play through.

Your party splits after that intro level and you have to go on a recruiting drive shortly after. The NPCs that are available aren't the greatest draw.

The other gripe I have about the party comp is that the frontliners you do get don't have proficiency in blunt weapons and then you get thrown in to areas with a lot of skeletal undead.

This is my first actual playthrough of SoD so I'm just doing things as I go. Also, holy crap, Monks are so bad in 2E. Rasaad just gets cratered every time I put him in the fray.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Vargatron posted:

The other gripe I have about the party comp is that the frontliners you do get don't have proficiency in blunt weapons and then you get thrown in to areas with a lot of skeletal undead.

:argh: Restrictive weapon profs are my least favorite 2e artifact in BG. Especially since it was organized into groups originally and they "improved" it.

I've sold a lot of +3 weapons in BG2 I can't use while I've got some PCs still using +1. Hell, one of them has a normal because I use a varied party and don't entirely strip companions before sending them back to the inn, so there's some weapons I'd like tied up in inactive people.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've sold a lot of +3 weapons in BG2 I can't use while I've got some PCs still using +1. Hell, one of them has a normal because I use a varied party and don't entirely strip companions before sending them back to the inn, so there's some weapons I'd like tied up in inactive people.

Jaheira gets the short straw in this, at least depending on which quest order one winds up playing. There's a good club in Trademeet, and a decent-ish spear in the troll mound, but other than that does she get anything before Impaler? All the clerics are stuck with the same weapon selection, and the first mace +3 is in Spellhold I think (theoretically the ladies can use the flail of ages but it requires a strength booster). At least the game has a lot of +X slings, and my recent pick-pocketing adventures tell me there's a boatload of +2 bullets too. There's a lot of +3 staves available from the very early game, but they're staves.

Minsc has good pips out of the gate, presumably because the devs figured a first-time player would keep him (just look at his racial enemy), Keldorn can use most big blades, and Korgan is alone with all the good axes the game throws your way. Valygar's starting pips are kind of iffy, but if the player decides to rob all the random houses they find an over-powered +3 weapon for him, so :shrug: Mazzy gets a +3 sword early on, but it's a short sword, and she's in competition with all the mage-thieves for the gatling short bow.

The enemies that require certain weapon types above a certain enchantment level grind my gears the most. Looking at you, huge-sprite metallic golems :argh: Though as noted earlier in the thread, these guys can be cheesed with mages, it just takes awhile. There are weapons like the Kneecapper and that flaming sword that hit as +X but only against some things, and that just means inventory tetris and why does this game only give most people 2 quick weapon slots :rant:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rappaport posted:

and why does this game only give most people 2 quick weapon slots :rant:

Oh my God I am so SICK of juggling slashing/piercing, crushing, and missle between two slots.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Mazzy, a dedicated archer at this stage, is the only person in my party with 4 weapon slots.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
There's a tweak pack option to give everyone 4 slots.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's also super duper an artifact of the time when the very idea of hectic real time micro was a novel selling point.

"The fighter is a better fighter because they can juggle more weapons at once! But are we making Warcraft or Pools of Radiance? Ho ho, it's ~both~"

This game originally wasn't paused in the inventory, right? The slots make sense then (still hate em).

I won't go so far as saying RTwP is a mistake, because I like enabling it in King Maker to automate cleaning up trivial fights, but there's some influence from the 90's high water mark of RTS games in here that I don't need in 2022.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

This game originally wasn't paused in the inventory, right? The slots make sense then (still hate em).

The corollary to this was that in OG BG1 you could take off armour from spellcasters in the middle of a fight, cast your spells, and put the armour back on, assuming you were fast with your mousing. I don't think this was very fun or useful, but that is supposedly why they made it so in BG2 that if combat == active no clicky on armour slot instead. Which does make more sense all around! I like the mental image of the party tossing healing potions to each other in the middle of melee, too :haw:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rappaport posted:

The corollary to this was that in OG BG1 you could take off armour from spellcasters in the middle of a fight, cast your spells, and put the armour back on, assuming you were fast with your mousing. I don't think this was very fun or useful, but that is supposedly why they made it so in BG2 that if combat == active no clicky on armour slot instead. Which does make more sense all around! I like the mental image of the party tossing healing potions to each other in the middle of melee, too :haw:

For me, the most damaging thing about losing control of CHARNAME is that he holds the strategic reserve of scrolls and potions.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
running Dorn for the first time ever in BG2 and his quests are just over-the-top grim. I only just read something that said charname's (or the party leader's?) CHA score determines some outcomes but a lot of the dialogue options are basically

1. I love to murder!
2. Hahaha... murder. :c00lbutt:
3. I really, really love to murder.

anyway, gonna go slaughter a bunch of Helmites and Tyrians while Jan amicably talks about turnip prices.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Dorn to me is the only evil companion that truly feels like an EVIL companion, aside from maybe Edwin and his original quest to go kill Dynaheir. His quests are full on "let's go kill these holy warriors and overall good people." Most of the other ones are callous and ruthless and selfish, sure, but Dorn is full on murder-hobo, but with actual reasons for being a murder-hobo.

His ToB quest is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vargatron posted:

This is my first actual playthrough of SoD so I'm just doing things as I go. Also, holy crap, Monks are so bad in 2E. Rasaad just gets cratered every time I put him in the fray.

Monks were shoehorned into the 2.5E ruleset of Baldur's Gate 2 from 3rd edition. Because they were only in BG2 they were balanced around the idea that you'd start at level 7 and very quickly hit level 10+. They were never intended to exist at lower levels, which is why Rasaad is such absolute garbage in BG1.

In BG2 they're a bit fragile to begin with but become really powerful about level 15 and then godlike by the time they get HLAs.