Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Did TechLinked used to have a pre-LMG life or something? I was looking at powered USB hubs on Amazon and noticed a video on this listing featuring a familiar host wearing a t-shirt with a familiar logo, and I'm wondering how on earth this came to be. edit: Jono is there too! Does LMG do instructional/promotional tech videos for hire or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Did TechLinked used to have a pre-LMG life or something? I was looking at powered USB hubs on Amazon and noticed a video on this listing featuring a familiar host wearing a t-shirt with a familiar logo, and I'm wondering how on earth this came to be. edit: Jono is there too! Does LMG do instructional/promotional tech videos for hire or something?

yeah they do promos and other contract videos

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i just watched a video from ltt from march 2020 and it felt so innocent like just "oh, this is linus loving around and building a $20,000 computer and saying he wouldn't actually spend this money himself and it felt believable in a way nothing has in a long, long while"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s time for everyone to accept that Linus is a millionaire and does out of touch millionaire poo poo and the “but he’s a good humble guy” times are over

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Linus Millionaire Guy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Millionaire tech tips

Just endless videos of Linus paying other people to janitor computers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Linus Tax Tips

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
That's a great secondary channel idea!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Whatever happened to that Jayz2cents guy. Haven't heard much from him since the whole suggesting that BLM protestors are fair game to be shot stuff. Is he still a colossal boob

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i still watch him occasionally when i run out of the tech content i like. learned to mostly shut the gently caress up on political things, seems to still be doing pretty well on viewer count, pivoted to almost exclusively op ed talking heads style content and instead dish out hot takes and get into youtube drama about tech stuff.

his diagnostic videos i still think are great because unlike a ton of tech youtube he talks through his decision process and you see all the failure steps, which is very helpful for building an intuitive understanding of diagnosis. but otherwise it's same old poo poo it always was with more complaining.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I unsubscribed his channel when he started switching to terrible clickbait titles where you don't know what kind of video you're getting. I'm not interested in watching "PC companies DON'T want me telling you this!" or "Why does this exist??"

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

The Grumbles posted:

Whatever happened to that Jayz2cents guy. Haven't heard much from him since the whole suggesting that BLM protestors are fair game to be shot stuff. Is he still a colossal boob
he didn't find a way to make videos when tech youtuber viewership dropped off a cliff during the pandemic because no one could get a gpu, and now he just does objectively terrible clickbait and curiosity gap that makes no sense

he also occasionally takes other people's reporting and completely misrepresents it, be it out of idiocy of craven clickbait

it's a shame, because i always love watching people just building computers for relaxing, and you can barely infer which those videos are now because of his new clickbait titles

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

kliras posted:

he didn't find a way to make videos when tech youtuber viewership dropped off a cliff during the pandemic because no one could get a gpu, and now he just does objectively terrible clickbait and curiosity gap that makes no sense

he also occasionally takes other people's reporting and completely misrepresents it, be it out of idiocy of craven clickbait

it's a shame, because i always love watching people just building computers for relaxing, and you can barely infer which those videos are now because of his new clickbait titles

it went up at the start of the pandemic but cratered later on, iirc. he also made the huge mistake of making a bunch of videos basically complaining that the audience is not watching his content which is just the worst imaginable strategy.

he's still expanding though and like i say, eyeballing the viewercount he still occasionally has a million+ view vid. doesn't seem to be struggling to attract sponsors either, unlike say that kyle dude who did the comedy accent bit.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
like those have autoplayed to the point i see the sponsors and they're always so so dire. just the shadiest cd grey market sites and poo poo like that.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah he always seemed like "big techtuber" adjacent more than an actual big channel. on top of his weird "comedy" bits

hardware canucks are also becoming more irrelevant, and they're just doing straight up ads for various companies like corsair now

Slavik
May 10, 2009
I am still for the time being subscribed to Jay but the titles are definitely clickbaity these days. Most of them tells me nothing about the content so I don't bother clicking, but he is getting 250K+ views a video so unlikely to change. He is refurbing the workplace again so I'll probably tune in for that as I like that kind of content

Just realised I've only clicked two of his videos in the last 4 months.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
"i heard Linus say clickbait thumbnails work, i should do that!"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

kliras posted:

hardware canucks are also becoming more irrelevant, and they're just doing straight up ads for various companies like corsair now

Yeah I unsubbed from hardware canucks a while back because so many videos were entirely sponsored by the same company they were reviewing the product for. A lot of commenters were asking the same thing and I don’t remember getting a satisfactory answer.

I used to watch Jayz a lot more but his extremely clickbait titles and lack of vid descriptions meant I wasn’t gonna award his bait.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hardware Canucks have done some pretty decent case reviews and testing for stuff like fans, but sometimes they really half-rear end that type of content, and that's been happening more often than not lately. Their other content has been super hit or miss. The thing I always go back to is how they one time showed a temperature and frequency graph for the GPU in an HP Omen prebuilt they were reviewing, and the data clearly showed the card was overheating and throttling but the reviewer overlooked that and just said that the temps and performance were good. And I think that exemplifies their approach to most content where they clearly don't understand the products very well and are just focused on producing advertiser-friendly content for stuff they think the youtube algorithm will like. Which is what almost all other tech tubers do too, to be fair. That's what the game they're playing is all about and Hardware Canucks is one of the best at it. It's just frustrating because they're almost good, and they've done good things in the past (like recognizing an issue with the O11 Air Mini's front panel that Lian Li missed, resulting in them having to redo the tooling to get it right)

edit: I looked at their youtube channel again and noticed that their views seemed way down. So I checked with socialblade and woof

All tech tubers saw a large drop-off in early 2021, but most have been level or trending up slightly after that. Hardware Canucks seems to be the only big channel I'm familiar with that's trending down still. Even JayzTwoCents' numbers have been level.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 15, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1558985318627672065

quote:

Probably Linus will pressure YouTube to terminate my channel for "harassment" (even though he made a YouTube video out of it not me). They of course probably will (they do take care of their tech bros) and I'll pretend to apologize under obvious duress. Tech business as usual...

this seems unwell

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Account is set to private.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Yeah, she really needs to log off for a while.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Charles Leclerc posted:

Yeah, she really needs to log off for a while.

Yup

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
long gone by the time i got here. well if the ghosting part is a miscommunication then at least what linus did looks incredibly tone deaf but in character stupid instead of potentially malicious, and it's entirely understandable why wu might have come to that assumption (even if it's obviously less than ideal it was a mistake on her end and i'm sure she'll get a ton more grief for it unfortunately). fair mistake and apologized for, i hope they can to some degree patch things up and linus learns a lesson about how what he says isn't always what other people hear, but outlook not so good.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

CoolCab posted:

long gone by the time i got here. well if the ghosting part is a miscommunication then at least what linus did looks incredibly tone deaf but in character stupid instead of potentially malicious, and it's entirely understandable why wu might have come to that assumption (even if it's obviously less than ideal it was a mistake on her end and i'm sure she'll get a ton more grief for it unfortunately). fair mistake and apologized for, i hope they can to some degree patch things up and linus learns a lesson about how what he says isn't always what other people hear, but outlook not so good.

Didn't she accuse him of asking for a blowjob in exchange for a contract of something like that? Whether that's true or not, I don't think patching things up is in the cards.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That seems like a pretty wild thing to just toss out there as a possibility.

Gros Tarla posted:

Didn't she accuse him of asking for a blowjob in exchange for a contract of something like that? Whether that's true or not, I don't think patching things up is in the cards.

What? Nobody posted any tweets of that nature in this thread, unless I missed it somehow.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gros Tarla posted:

that's why i say to some degree, even if it's just that both sides drop it.

What? Nobody posted any tweets of that nature in this thread, unless I missed it somehow.

not exactly, but close. the original tweet i posted was her saying something to the effect of "i wasn't sure and apologized and made excuses for it, but if he's going to send his incel squad at me sure - i now believe he was offering to let me suck him off for access to floatplane"

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

I was going of what's mentioned in https://old.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/wn6qx0/what_is_going_on_with_linustechtips_and_naomi_wu/

I don't have access to Naomi's Twitter so I may be wrong, in which case I apologize.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The only thing that appears to have actually happened was Linus inviting her to his hotel at nighttime, presumably to discuss floatplane, which may have been well-intentioned or not but either way she was understandably uncomfortable with accepting.

Everything besides that seems to be a mix of internet drama, lashing out, hyperbole, sarcasm, and warring fanbases. There are obviously no substantial or serious accusations happening.

In short I now think they should both shut the gently caress up.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

In short I now think they should both shut the gently caress up.

Yeah, probably.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

CoolCab posted:

I think minimizing it to "aww jeez, wires got crossed, what can you do?" is pretty loving gross. She wasn't comfortable attending a meeting late at night. Cool. That's :redflag::redflag::redflag: and entirely her prerogative. But editorializing that half-forgotten interaction into "he 100% wanted me to suck his dick and ghosted me when I refused" to win a slapfight with some 4chan thread is crossing the line about 5 times over.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Baronash posted:

I think minimizing it to "aww jeez, wires got crossed, what can you do?" is pretty loving gross. She wasn't comfortable attending a meeting late at night. Cool. That's :redflag::redflag::redflag: and entirely her prerogative. But editorializing that half-forgotten interaction into "he 100% wanted me to suck his dick and ghosted me when I refused" to win a slapfight with some 4chan thread is crossing the line about 5 times over.

Especially when she had to walk back the ghosting thing because Linus showed he did follow up. She then had to go with the "aww shucks, the messages were in my draft folder all along" which kind of makes no sense if you understand the basics of email.

That's the lovely part about all of this. I believer her when she felt unsafe with the hotel thing, and calling it out was the right thing to do. Linus' reaction to it was gross, too. But he did admit to being a loving moron about it and especially called out that putting a women in that situation is not cool. Which seems like the correct thing to do?

I'm not sure what else she expected to come out of this, but tacking on presumptions about a blowjob like a year later and hounding Linus's wife after the fact is really weird.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

She did pour some gas on it afterwards. I don't watch any LTT content but the warranty drama was leaking so I checked out the wan episode and started at the timecode, and Jesus, how many times has Linus said over the years that he needs a PR person.

and keep threatening to retire, because it would 100% be temporary if he did. Leo Laporte can't help himself and he's like 800, unless he's only grinding at that age because he can't retire

mewse
May 2, 2006

forest spirit posted:

and keep threatening to retire

Not gonna watch WAN show but he loves playing this card, from 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAsZCTL__lo

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Baronash posted:

i genuinely believe her when she says it bothered her and ate away at her due to the specific ambiguity - that from her perspective she never really knew if he was pulling some poo poo or being innocent and as such she couldn't raise it as she could with a direct statement, and she felt similar situations happen often to mask inappropriate behaviour. my read is that this ate away at her until she overreacted and while i don't excuse or think she should have that i am somewhat sympathetic to it. she also, again, initially took the correct interpretation of events - that it was a miscommunication, and then appears to have reacted extremely badly to people reraising and being lovely about it. i dunno bud it's rough but i don't think either party has lied and while there have clearly been miscommunications and overreactions it seems like both parties have acknowledged their own mistakes. i had no idea who wu is until this started so that's not because i like her or hate linus, that's my honest appraisal of the situation. i don't expect either of them to be exchanging christmas cards to be clear.

and why would she possibly lie about the emails and then not lie about the fact she hosed up and didn't send them? doesn't make any sense.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CoolCab posted:

and why would she possibly lie about the emails and then not lie about the fact she hosed up and didn't send them? doesn't make any sense.

That should really be the end of the story, because it completely undermines this years-long tale of "How can I really know that I wasn't being shut out because I turned down his advances???"

I don't really believe that somebody who actually cared about getting onto the video network would make some "whoops I forgot to send the emails" mistake but whatever.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Like I said, this is not new behavior for Naomi. It's a pattern. I mean even her about me video she talks about how she's mentally unwell. Really unfortunate, because in a lot of ways she is a good ambassador, but when you have a tendency to go off like a bomb you can understand potential sponsors/partners getting cold feet, and then she takes that as yet another conspiracy against her and the cycle repeats itself. Probably isn't much chance of her getting good mental help in China given who she is, but it'd be nice if something could happen to change the situation. There's a lot of cool stuff I've found out about because of her, but I just can't deal with following her and the frequent drama.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

forest spirit posted:

Leo Laporte can't help himself and he's like 800, unless he's only grinding at that age because he can't retire

I don't think Linus has shown his penis on air yet though...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

EngineerJoe posted:

I don't think Linus has shown his penis on air yet though...

Linus Just The Tip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Leo Laporte is 65. And I'd assume LTT makes more than TWiT