Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Roughly in line with what you'd expect given the trajectory of the virus. bopping along at ~1,400 deaths a day worldwide and no medical facility saturation anywhere at the moment?

im pretty sure the hospital system in this country has been teetering on collapse for the past two years and it's only getting worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Any news on that omicron-specific booster that was discussed as being a goal by October?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

Any news on that omicron-specific booster that was discussed as being a goal by October?

Pfizer recently started final trials on the BA.4/5 vaccine and since they only need to prove it's safe and has a similar or better immune response compared to the original shots (vs. the longer phase 2/3 trials the first gen shots needed), it's still not unrealistic for the rollout to start in October if the trials go well.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Roughly in line with what you'd expect given the trajectory of the virus. bopping along at ~1,400 deaths a day worldwide and no medical facility saturation anywhere at the moment?

“Bopping along at ~1,400 deaths”

Uh…yeah, what’s wrong with you?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

1400 deaths per day worldwide would slide in under malaria and above homicide as a cause of death. The distribution is very top heavy though, heart disease (#1) and cancer (#2) are about as many as everything else combined.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Foxfire_ posted:

1400 deaths per day worldwide would slide in under malaria and above homicide as a cause of death. The distribution is very top heavy though, heart disease (#1) and cancer (#2) are about as many as everything else combined.

It's absolutely not 1,400 global deaths per day, that's just what's reported. It's also the minimum back in late June - now it's ~2,500 per day.

If we assume the US is closer to reporting all of it's COVID deaths and generously assume that US COVID death rates/year among older folks is roughly average for global older folks, we can back-of-the-envelope global rates by scaling by the US' proportion of the global 65+ population. US is currently looking like it would average somewhere between 300-500 deaths/day over the course of a year. The US has ~54 million of the world's 700 million 65+ population. Subtracting ~150 million for China that means that scaling up should be roughly 3k-5k deaths per day, or 1.1-1.8 million deaths per year. Throw in China (when they stop zero-COVID) and it's 1.4-2.4 million.

That puts the current global "low" impact of COVID at something like 2-8x yearly influenza deaths (which aren't going away), and I suspect that's a low-ball by at least a factor of two. It's on par with tuberculosis, and would be responsible for global 25-50% increase in all acute respiratory infection deaths (currently ~4 million per year).

E: It's possible that impact will decrease eventually, but we're likely at peak recent vaccine/booster coverage and there are very few unexposed people. As we continue to ditch the remnants of our precautions it seems like we'd need lucky mutations for the ongoing mortality impact to decline.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 12, 2022

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Oh, by the way, suggesting that there is not currently a significant impact on medical capacity is completely false. Remember that the CDC made a new, very conservative metric called "community levels" that mostly just reflects hospital load (at which point it's pretty much too late to implement public prevention measures to reduce impact)? Here's what that map looks like right now.

Lolling that they changed red to "gentle orange", but that's a significant impact on our medical capacity from "mild" COVID alone. And there's little reason beyond pure wishful thinking to imagine the ongoing impact will be better than moving into and out of high community levels at least twice per year.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Stickman posted:

Oh, by the way, suggesting that there is not currently a significant impact on medical capacity is completely false. Remember that the CDC made a new, very conservative metric called "community levels" that mostly just reflects hospital load (at which point it's pretty much too late to implement public prevention measures to reduce impact)? Here's what that map looks like right now.

Lolling that they changed red to "gentle orange", but that's a significant impact on our medical capacity from "mild" COVID alone. And there's little reason beyond pure wishful thinking to imagine the ongoing impact will be better than moving into and out of high community levels at least twice per year.

I don't disagree with anything you've written, but I do urge people to visit the page and check the "How are COVID-19 Community Levels calculated?" portion. It really highlights how the CDC struggles with communicating data. They're trying to make this map reflect both case rates and hospital burden and it ends up being really weird. As an example, if a county has more than 200 cases per 100,000 residents in a week, that county will be shown as yellow even if literally no one is hospitalized.

This isn't deliberate obfuscation or anything, it's just the CDC trying to show two different things (case rate and hospital burden) on the same map, and thereby (once again) failing at clarity and simplicity. Just provide two maps: one for case rates and one for hospitalizations. Frustrating (like most of what the CDC has done over the past two and a half years).

Also lolling with Stickman on the change from red to orange. I'm legit surprised that they haven't entirely re-coded the map with something like red (extremely low case rate), purple (medium case rate), blue (high case rate) and green (extremely high case rate). That would look so much more soothing!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Up until now I'd only gone to a medical facility once during the pandemic, a few months ago. It was for an orthopedic visit so I figured the risk was less for being exposed to a big room full of sick people.

Last week I needed to make an appointment for something pressing and found that earliest availability for internal medicine type doctor was months into the future. Made me wonder what experiences others have had with trying to get non-covid care during the pandemic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Castaign posted:

Also lolling with Stickman on the change from red to orange. I'm legit surprised that they haven't entirely re-coded the map with something like red (extremely low case rate), purple (medium case rate), blue (high case rate) and green (extremely high case rate). That would look so much more soothing!

There’s a different color scheme that the CDC director uses in tweets.

https://twitter.com/CDCDirector/status/1548024701783486466

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Dick Trauma posted:

Up until now I'd only gone to a medical facility once during the pandemic, a few months ago. It was for an orthopedic visit so I figured the risk was less for being exposed to a big room full of sick people.

Last week I needed to make an appointment for something pressing and found that earliest availability for internal medicine type doctor was months into the future. Made me wonder what experiences others have had with trying to get non-covid care during the pandemic.
I've been to local clinics about 10 times in the last couple of years and it's been fine. Waiting months for care sounds like an incredibly broken system regardless of COVID.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Stickman posted:

It's absolutely not 1,400 global deaths per day, that's just what's reported. It's also the minimum back in late June - now it's ~2,500 per day.

If we assume the US is closer to reporting all of it's COVID deaths and generously assume that US COVID death rates/year among older folks is roughly average for global older folks, we can back-of-the-envelope global rates by scaling by the US' proportion of the global 65+ population. US is currently looking like it would average somewhere between 300-500 deaths/day over the course of a year. The US has ~54 million of the world's 700 million 65+ population. Subtracting ~150 million for China that means that scaling up should be roughly 3k-5k deaths per day, or 1.1-1.8 million deaths per year. Throw in China (when they stop zero-COVID) and it's 1.4-2.4 million.

That puts the current global "low" impact of COVID at something like 2-8x yearly influenza deaths (which aren't going away), and I suspect that's a low-ball by at least a factor of two. It's on par with tuberculosis, and would be responsible for global 25-50% increase in all acute respiratory infection deaths (currently ~4 million per year).

E: It's possible that impact will decrease eventually, but we're likely at peak recent vaccine/booster coverage and there are very few unexposed people. As we continue to ditch the remnants of our precautions it seems like we'd need lucky mutations for the ongoing mortality impact to decline.

I just used https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938 and said "about" because doubtlessly there is under-reporting but also harvesting of the old and soon to die. Say unlike malaria which also has under reporting but deaths skew dramatically to children under five. I understand the CDC having a far more significant focus on Covid than Malaria because there is no to little malaria in the US but treating drug use and homicide as a medical emergency would probably save more life years than continued high level energy put into Covid. Certainly putting aside other medical care to focus on non-emergency covid is imprudent. In fact it demonstrates why the CDC needs to talk down covid, because if people are avoiding going to inspections, checkups and preventative care for fear of covid, that is something that needs to be tackled as a matter of priority.

By collapse I mean the NYC digging mass graves in the park, not that usual sliding scale of resourcing that goes into medical care all the time all over the world. Yes, covid will have an impact, monkey paw will have an impact, the new virus from the end of last week identified in China will have an impact on US medical resourcing as it takes initial preparatory steps.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Why yes, we can only focus on one thing at a time and that's why it's imperative to downplay risks of ongoing health crisis A because there's also B, B because there's also C, and C because there's also A.

The CDC is not downplaying COVID to focus on malaria. Pretending anything less that "collapse" is unworthy of response and recommendations for structural and personal mitigation is such a stratospheric goalpost that it's hard to respond to.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 15, 2022

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I've been to local clinics about 10 times in the last couple of years and it's been fine. Waiting months for care sounds like an incredibly broken system regardless of COVID.

Typically it's bad for any family medicine or outpatient especially if you don't have a primary right now. Establishing services is the hard part hands down, and it's gotten worse over time just from the lack of doctors or even mid levels. It's something that has been getting worse but the pandemic accelerated it, largely due to the low pay and lack of doctors wanting to go into family medicine.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Also it's pretty hard to respond to someone that's very much just chicken littling things with no real ability or want to actually respond besides screaming into a void ngl. The comparison to malaria is that covid deaths are actually at that level, and many places right now are seeing the actual ramifications of other health disorders that weren't being treated during the pandemic coming home to roost

Or the major issue with emergancy departments that lack staff and beds because of the nursing shortage so your rooming patients for an unknown amount of time leading to increased waits and patient harm because of it. And hospitals admitting everything under the loving sun for no reason when many patients could be discharged. Or admitting patients to icus that could have been stepdown or even rnf if someone actually did their loving jobs or didn't outright lie to the doctor in charge of the unit.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Stickman posted:

Why yes, we can only focus on one thing at a time and that's why it's imperative to downplay risks of ongoing health crisis A because there's also B, B because there's also C, and C because there's also A.

The CDC is not downplaying COVID to focus on malaria. Pretending anything less that "collapse" is unworthy of response and recommendations for structural and personal mitigation is such a stratospheric goalpost that it's hard to respond to.

I even clearly stated I understood why the CDC has to put more focus into covid than malaria. Arguing that rebalancing priorities is not the same as cutting off all efforts. The energy put into Covid at its emergency height was causing unintended consequences that were the price that had to be paid out of prudence at the time. That time has passed and covid is just another medical drain on society to be managed. Worse than pneumonia, not as bad as cancer or obesity.

You literally stated that you are ignoring all other potential sources of medical issues preventable by routine and prudent checkups to reduce the risk of contracting covid. For the CDC to follow a similar policy and encourage (by intent or accidently) America's population to do likewise would lead to unnecessary poor medical outcomes down the road. Just telling otherwise healthy people not to bother coming into the hospitals or their GP if they suspect they have covid but don't have symptoms beyond mild is probably a positive demographic outcome but you can't effectively do that while also trying to maintain "covid is an emergency" energy levels.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Typically it's bad for any family medicine or outpatient especially if you don't have a primary right now. Establishing services is the hard part hands down, and it's gotten worse over time just from the lack of doctors or even mid levels.

This is what got me started. I switched jobs last year and early on I went to my new health insurance provider's website and picked a doctor to be my primary. Now that I finally needed an appointment I called and they said that he wasn't seeing new patients. The info on the insurer's site is badly out of date with multiple docs not actually seeing new patients, or the phone number is wrong, or they're at a different location.

I finally got an appointment for Thursday only for the office to call me back and say that they canceled it because that doctor only sees one new patient a day. I almost gave up, but I made one more call and when the doctors in that office turned out to also not be seeing new patients they found me an internal medicine resident at a local hospital who would see me. I'll have to pay extra because their office is in a hospital but at least I can see them soon.

It's a mess. I was just curious if people were seeing something similar due to the pandemic or if it was "lol American healthcare is failing."

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I just used https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938 and said "about" because doubtlessly there is under-reporting but also harvesting of the old and soon to die. Say unlike malaria which also has under reporting but deaths skew dramatically to children under five. I understand the CDC having a far more significant focus on Covid than Malaria because there is no to little malaria in the US but treating drug use and homicide as a medical emergency would probably save more life years than continued high level energy put into Covid. Certainly putting aside other medical care to focus on non-emergency covid is imprudent. In fact it demonstrates why the CDC needs to talk down covid, because if people are avoiding going to inspections, checkups and preventative care for fear of covid, that is something that needs to be tackled as a matter of priority.

By collapse I mean the NYC digging mass graves in the park, not that usual sliding scale of resourcing that goes into medical care all the time all over the world. Yes, covid will have an impact, monkey paw will have an impact, the new virus from the end of last week identified in China will have an impact on US medical resourcing as it takes initial preparatory steps.

I think the CDC has been incredibly successful at “talking down covid,” reflected by the scant few people continuing to mask and/or social distance. The idea that they’re not doing enough on this front is pretty hilarious, similar to, “Actually the problem of mass shootings can be solved with more guns.”

I’m also (morbidly) curious to know what you imagine the CDC could/should do to “talk down covid.”

Sidenote, it wasn’t stickman who said they were avoiding medical care due to fear of COVID infection.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

oh right. Sorry Stickman, my bad.

I don't think the CDC need to do more talking down. I was just explaining why I think their reduction in quarantining recommendations was in line with my expectations.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Dick Trauma posted:

This is what got me started. I switched jobs last year and early on I went to my new health insurance provider's website and picked a doctor to be my primary. Now that I finally needed an appointment I called and they said that he wasn't seeing new patients. The info on the insurer's site is badly out of date with multiple docs not actually seeing new patients, or the phone number is wrong, or they're at a different location.

I finally got an appointment for Thursday only for the office to call me back and say that they canceled it because that doctor only sees one new patient a day. I almost gave up, but I made one more call and when the doctors in that office turned out to also not be seeing new patients they found me an internal medicine resident at a local hospital who would see me. I'll have to pay extra because their office is in a hospital but at least I can see them soon.

It's a mess. I was just curious if people were seeing something similar due to the pandemic or if it was "lol American healthcare is failing."

Back in February, I had to sit in the Kaiser urgent care for roughly 6 hours just for them to confirm that yes I have a kidney stone because no appointments were available (pain kicked in about 7:30 AM, I started checking for appointments around 9am). But August 2020 my pinky randomly swelled up the previous night (no pain) and I was able to schedule an appointment first thing in the morning at this other Kaiser facility. I had made the appointment because the swelling didn't go down overnight.

The urgent care at Kaiser was packed full too, just a slog waiting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haven’t really had any issues with medical care in my area between my wife and me. She’s been hospitalized a few times and we’ve had multiple routine and non-routine appointments (including a few urgent care visits) over the past year. In fact I called my primary care yesterday for an appointment to check out a back injury and they had availability at 9am today.

“lol healthcare is failing” doesn’t seem to describe my region.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Haven’t really had any issues with medical care in my area between my wife and me. She’s been hospitalized a few times and we’ve had multiple routine and non-routine appointments (including a few urgent care visits) over the past year. In fact I called my primary care yesterday for an appointment to check out a back injury and they had availability at 9am today.

“lol healthcare is failing” doesn’t seem to describe my region.

My wife tried to schedule a ob-gyn appointment for a routine concern and was told the earliest date is three months away. I'm looking for a new PCP and was told the earliest date is two months away. Every appointment I've scheduled in the last year, whether with specialists or generalists has been delayed by about 3 months.

This is what the Republicans said only happens in godless commie countries with nationalized health care, but here we are.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Sorry if this has been asked, but I'm curious about timing between boosters.

We're looking at getting our second boosters. We're traveling for the first time during covid, and will be seeing elderly relatives. We'd feel better having a recent booster.

Would getting a booster now in any way be a detriment to the omicron-specific booster that is on the horizon? I can see some recommendations to wait 4 months between boosters, but I can't find anything to indicate why that is recommended. Will we need to wait longer before getting the newer omicron booster, or would getting them near in time limit efficacy?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

incogneato posted:

Sorry if this has been asked, but I'm curious about timing between boosters.

We're looking at getting our second boosters. We're traveling for the first time during covid, and will be seeing elderly relatives. We'd feel better having a recent booster.

Would getting a booster now in any way be a detriment to the omicron-specific booster that is on the horizon? I can see some recommendations to wait 4 months between boosters, but I can't find anything to indicate why that is recommended. Will we need to wait longer before getting the newer omicron booster, or would getting them near in time limit efficacy?
Antibody levels wane significantly 4-6 months after vaccination, conservatively. The current vaccine produces antibodies that do little to prevent infection against current variants.

Someone more read-up on the research than me can attest to the degree of protection those antibodies offer as well as whether a second booster/4th shot offers added long-term protection.

As to whether you should get your shot now or wait for the Omicron booster—I’d get your booster now, personal opinion. They keep saying that boosters are just around the corner (this fall, officially) but who knows when that is or how hard they’ll be gate-kept.

Plus, don’t be the guy who saves all his megaelixirs for the last battle. You’re traveling which is on the riskier side, so I imagine you’ll really regret not getting boosted if you catch Covid on your trip. You’ll most likely be able to get the Omicron booster late this fall/early winter.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well as we all know the Fall flu and possibly COVID season is on the way. Thankfully HHS have decided now is the time to move from the government paying for treatments and vaccines into the glorious world of commercial insurance. As for uninsured folks? Well don't worry they're definitely thinking about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/ins...7da98808bcf3f10

quote:

The Biden administration is planning for an end to its practice of paying for Covid-19 shots and treatments, shifting more control of pricing and coverage to the healthcare industry in ways that could generate sales for companies—and costs for consumers—for years to come.

Both the Trump and Biden administrations always planned to shift the bill for Covid-19 shots and treatments from the federal government to individuals eventually. With Covid-19 cases dropping, more activities resuming and funding for the pandemic response running short, officials are now working to map out that transition.

Shifting payments for Covid-19 drugs and vaccines to the commercial market is expected to take months, an HHS spokesman said. At the meeting this month, officials and company representatives will discuss reimbursement and coverage, regulatory issues and access to vaccines and treatment for the uninsured.

“We’ve known at some point we’d need to move over into the commercial market, and we’re approaching that time now,” said Dawn O’Connell, assistant secretary at HHS for preparedness and response. “We don’t want to do it by fiat.”

The change presents challenges including how to make shots and treatments available to the roughly 30 million people without insurance coverage. The federal government has been purchasing Covid-19 vaccines and treatments and making them available at no cost during the pandemic.

“There are issues of reimbursement, equitable access to vaccines and treatment, and distribution that need to be resolved,” said Anne McDonald Pritchett, senior vice president at Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, or PhRMA, an industry trade group.

The change also portends billions of dollars in potential profits for pharmaceutical companies such as Moderna Inc. and Pfizer Inc. as well as its partner BioNTech SE. Pfizer reported $8.1 billion in global sales during the second quarter for its Covid-19 treatment, Paxlovid.

As of February, companies including Pfizer and Moderna had reported at least $79 billion in combined global sales of Covid-19 vaccines and treatments for 2021, according to a Wall Street Journal review of earnings reports.

The administration had requested as much as $30 billion from Congress for antivirals, testing and shots against future variants, among other measures. Republicans said no new money should be allocated until existing Covid-19 relief funding was spent.

As of mid-February, no money was left in HHS’s public-health and social-services emergency fund for healthcare providers. The administration in August stopped supplying monoclonal antibody treatments. Eli Lilly & Co. has shifted to commercial sales of its Covid-19 monoclonal antibody treatment to states, hospitals and other healthcare providers. The administration has already signed purchase agreements for updated vaccine doses for the fall.

Switching vaccine purchasing to the commercial market will mean that each insurer and pharmacy benefit manager will be negotiating with drug manufacturers and prices will likely be higher than what the federal government has paid, said Larry Levitt, executive vice president for health policy at the Kaiser Family Foundation. Insurers will have to start paying for the vaccines, he said, likely raising premiums.

“Without the government purchasing vaccine doses in advance, the U.S. may fall behind other countries in getting quick access to boosters and new variant-specific vaccines,” Mr. Levitt said.

Other challenges include the timetable each drug or vaccine manufacturer has for when they want to move into the commercial market. Also, Medicare and Medicaid, federal insurance programs for older and lower-income people respectively, don’t cover antivirals because they are only approved under an emergency use authorization.

“We want to make sure everyone who needs access gets access,” Ms. O’Connell said.

I suppose the silver lining here might be that it takes them long enough to work out how to implement this that we're into next year by the time they do.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Finally we're gonna let the free market put an end to covid

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

We'll see how well COVID does when it has to compete with all those other diseases! :capitalism:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gio posted:

Antibody levels wane significantly 4-6 months after vaccination, conservatively. The current vaccine produces antibodies that do little to prevent infection against current variants.

Someone more read-up on the research than me can attest to the degree of protection those antibodies offer as well as whether a second booster/4th shot offers added long-term protection.

As to whether you should get your shot now or wait for the Omicron booster—I’d get your booster now, personal opinion. They keep saying that boosters are just around the corner (this fall, officially) but who knows when that is or how hard they’ll be gate-kept.

Plus, don’t be the guy who saves all his megaelixirs for the last battle. You’re traveling which is on the riskier side, so I imagine you’ll really regret not getting boosted if you catch Covid on your trip. You’ll most likely be able to get the Omicron booster late this fall/early winter.

If I can piggyback on this, I was also looking to get a 4th shot in a week or two, but I also currently have covid (rip). Does that change anything about the decision for getting boosted? I recall smart people saying that the effect of the vaccines is better than just getting tagged by the virus itself.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Rochallor posted:

If I can piggyback on this, I was also looking to get a 4th shot in a week or two, but I also currently have covid (rip). Does that change anything about the decision for getting boosted? I recall smart people saying that the effect of the vaccines is better than just getting tagged by the virus itself.

I was in a similar scenario. I had thought, like you, that it might still make sense to just get the booster. I asked my doctor, and he suggested waiting a few months.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Again, layman disclaimer—

If you can get your shot, get one. There’s no risk and potential high reward. Omicron boosters are supposedly coming down the pipeline, but so is the commercialization of vaccines and treatments. Getting one now doesn’t mean you can’t get the Omicron booster.

(Ashish Jha stated the Biden Admin is looking to have the government stop purchasing vaccines and treatments, possibly as soon as this fall, given pandemic funding drying up and :capitalism:.)

The question of which offers better protection, natural infection or the vaccine, is a stupid one imo that has been reflective of the political divide. Conservatives want to believe their “natural immunity” protects them better than vaccines, and liberals vice versa. But the idea that you’d get the virus to protect yourself from the virus makes no loving sense, and both vaccines and natural immunity offer fleeting protection against infection as COVID continues to evolve.

I’d assume that getting infected right now with Omicron is going to offer better protection against infection than getting the vaccine but, again, that protection is fleeting and there is virtually no risk with getting the vaccine and potentially high reward.

I think we’re all just shooting in the dark, including your doctor, and it has a lot to do with the total lack of leadership on the part of the CDC and other public health agencies. There are a lot of doctors that offer stupid advice like, “You should wait to get your booster because you just had COVID,” despite evidence that both infection and the vaccine offer better protection that one or the other on their own.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Both getting infected and getting a vaccine means your immune system gets exposed to antigen and creates antibodies. There are a lot of caveats but they are equivalent in a sense. It's just that the infection has the bonus of getting sick, or worse. Getting another booster in a couple of weeks won't hurt anything but it probably doesn't really increase your protection a whole lot either.

So you could definitely see this infection as your "boost" and wait a couple of months for your next one.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Gio posted:

Again, layman disclaimer—

If you can get your shot, get one. There’s no risk and potential high reward. Omicron boosters are supposedly coming down the pipeline, but so is the commercialization of vaccines and treatments. Getting one now doesn’t mean you can’t get the Omicron booster.

I think this is fair for the states when you can basically get boosters whenever you want by just lying to a pharmacy, but if you're somewhere that's gatekeepy about vaccines and actually does have workable records I don't think waiting a bit after infection is the worst idea. Here in Ontario there's basically no way to cheat the system and get a booster out of schedule unless you want to get pretty deeply invested in a lie (i.e. go to a clinic dedicated specifically to undocumented people or something). Step 1 of getting any vaccine here is looking you up in a centralized database which will report whether you're eligible.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

MI and I’d assume a lot of other states have a centralized database that tracks vaccination history. Healthcare providers in MI, whether a PCP or a pharmacist, log it into that database before administering the shot. My dad is a pharmacist and I’ve seen my vaccination history and it dates all the way back to my infant vaccinations.

https://mcir.org

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Also, I did say “if you can…”

Sidenote, there’s a lot of pharmacists who likely don’t give a poo poo. I didn’t lie for my third or fourth shot—I checked “no” to everything on CVS’ questionnaire, gave my insurance info etc. and they had no problem givjng me a shot. I went to the pharmacy because my PCP, UofM Michigan Medicine doctor, told me to go there instead because they only administer COVID shots on certain days. Two docs I’ve spoken with at the clinic have also told me I’d have no problem being prescribed Paxlovid as well.

And technically nearly everybody qualifies given the CDC’s broad definition of who’s at risk of developing severe COVID.

Obviously other people here have met resistance, and there’s some here that think you shouldn’t “bandit” a booster or go against the sanctity of your PCP’s word, but all official channels I’ve gone through sincerely don’t care. They’re probably just happy to see people still seeking boosters and treatment, is my best guess.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I tried answering no to everything on the CVS questionnaire a month ago and they told me to gently caress off for not being eligible for the 2nd booster. Did something change or does this vary by state?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

eXXon posted:

I tried answering no to everything on the CVS questionnaire a month ago and they told me to gently caress off for not being eligible for the 2nd booster. Did something change or does this vary by state?

It varies by a lot of things. I completed the CVS questionnaire and was told I was eligible, then got turned down when I went to the appointment.

The way I got my second booster was by talking to the Walgreens pharmacy staff and asking them directly if I could get one, and then making the appointment when they consulted the pharmacist and said yes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This is my year of needles because in addition to my COVID boosters I got a tetanus shot and the first of two shingles vaccinations. And I guess the flu shot is coming up.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I thought you could overdo vaccinations, as in your body builds has weird sensitivities/insensitivities develop to being vaccinated repeatedly or contracting covid repeatedly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Well I'm just doing what the powers that be say I should do and when I should do it. If that's somehow wrong then gently caress it, we're all pretty much adrift anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dick Trauma posted:

Well I'm just doing what the powers that be say I should do and when I should do it. If that's somehow wrong then gently caress it, we're all pretty much adrift anyway.

Don't the powers-that-be keep making you go into an office with a bunch of unmasked people when you are perfectly capable of performing your work duties remotely?

Edit: Maybe that's :thejoke: