Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

What's the Leo Laporte dick pic counter up to now

It had already happened multiple times when I was paying attention to TWIT years and years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't it just happen the one time?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe i'm misremembering there being multiple dick pic incidents, but he also accidentally showed texts with his mistress at some point and later showed someone else's (allegedly his wifes?) nudes

at some point you'd think he would learn and use a different phone for work

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 15, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gros Tarla posted:

I was going of what's mentioned in https://old.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/wn6qx0/what_is_going_on_with_linustechtips_and_naomi_wu/

I don't have access to Naomi's Twitter so I may be wrong, in which case I apologize.

She's invoking Weinstein/Cosby, implying that the chat (not the emails) was pushy and calling him a creeper, a lot. She's not sharing the chatlogs "for the sake of his family". It's kind of odd, because if he did it, as she's implying, it should be easy to prove. I can see the "for the family" side of things but it doesn't really match up with her invoking serial predators at the same time.

Has also said that Linus is leaning on female creators to protect him. I don't really see where that's happening. She's also fighting that Barnacules dude, who I do not know much about - aside from that he's boys with Jay, which is a red flag of another type.

She has two dogs which are absolutely perfect.

well why not fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 16, 2022

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The 8-Bit Guy failed to repair a CRT driver board and had to ask Adrian to help him. Normally I wouldn't give 8BG too much poo poo over it since 8BG is clearly not any kind of electronics expert, but the main problem with the board was that 8BG put a replacement chip in backwards even after his brother warned him to double-check the orientation as he was doing it which is just :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QiSXeCf9tw

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe if he shot the board with a gun.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It feels weird having Adrian Black in this thread lol. Not an idiot!

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Even if you don't feel like watching the whole 1 hour 30 minutes (though you should) at least check out the first 4 minutes or so. lmao lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQRpIUu3dMw

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Always watch CRD

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

It's a great video. Plenty of youtubers have done things on getting a server, a nas or whatever, but he explains it really interestingly. The guy is a treasure

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

EngineerJoe posted:

I don't think Linus has shown his penis on air yet though...

Or his wife’s vagina

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

This warranty is worthless, a 3 year warranty would have been better. You still don't know what coverage you're getting with this.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That zipper callout is sus as hell. Zippers are the kind of thing where there's a huge difference between the best and the worst products, and that statement makes me wary that they know the zippers they've used aren't that great.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

K8.0 posted:

That zipper callout is sus as hell. Zippers are the kind of thing where there's a huge difference between the best and the worst products, and that statement makes me wary that they know the zippers they've used aren't that great.

Yep, a quality YKK zipper will never give you an issue

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
If you want to compare LTT's verbiage to one of the leaders in the industry, here's Tom Bihn's warranty page

https://www.tombihn.com/pages/warranty

A lot of it comes down to individual hardware that LTT is sourcing and where the sewing is performed.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Did they really not spend the 32 cents for a ykk zip on a $250 bag

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

EngineerJoe posted:

This warranty is worthless, a 3 year warranty would have been better. You still don't know what coverage you're getting with this.

That was his entire point. That warranties are worthless. In his mind it's just all about trust in the brand. I'm sure you can find his rant videos about how NO company, including his company, is your friend. Not sure how he can connect those two lines of thought but I won't pretend to understand how the mind of Linus works.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
He wants other companies to provide a warranty (something that is free to Linus), just not his own, because that would cost his company money. Not hard to understand.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you're a less than mainstream producer of high quality, durable, high margin goods, you can totally offer meaningful warranties. I own a bunch of products that have straight up forever warranties. If LTT wanted to offer an unconditional warranty, they absolutely could. What Linus has done here is really stupid and damaging to his brand, because I've gone from the default assumption of "I expect they'd have reasonable coverage for their products" to expecting that they're going to treat people about the same way your average manufacturer is i.e. don't waste your loving time even if it's defective.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

Penisaurus Sex posted:

If you want to compare LTT's verbiage to one of the leaders in the industry, here's Tom Bihn's warranty page

https://www.tombihn.com/pages/warranty

A lot of it comes down to individual hardware that LTT is sourcing and where the sewing is performed.

I actually tried to use the Tom Bihn warranty because early on when they were inverting the zippers on their bags (e.g., the rubberised fabric bit faces out) after a year or two the rubber would come off in chunks. It looks pretty awful and made my bag look really grubby and dirty even though it I took good care of it. They told me that it was cosmetic, and the zippers were never designed to be fully waterproof so the rubber coming off wasn't a change in functionality, and if it really bothered me I could buy the exact same backpack again but with redesigned zippers.

I mean it speaks well of the company that they saw a widespread issue and redesigned the backpacks to fix it, but if their warranty doesn't cover a design issue like that I'm not sure it's worth bragging about.

On the other hand you have a company like Apple where their warranties are essentially the legal minimums (in Australia at least) but under their various repair programs I have had thousands of dollars worth of hardware repaired for free years after purchase. Last week they replaced 2 year old airpods, I've had two laptops replaced, both of them a few years after purchase too.

Edit: I just took a look on the Tom Bihn support forums at around 2015 and they were replacing bags for it, but they stopped doing it when (I'm guessing) they realised how widespread it was.

Jamus fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 19, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

avoid doorways posted:

Did they really not spend the 32 cents for a ykk zip on a $250 bag

They are YKK

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
More like YUCKK

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Jamus posted:

I actually tried to use the Tom Bihn warranty because early on when they were inverting the zippers on their bags (e.g., the rubberised fabric bit faces out) after a year or two the rubber would come off in chunks. It looks pretty awful and made my bag look really grubby and dirty even though it I took good care of it. They told me that it was cosmetic, and the zippers were never designed to be fully waterproof so the rubber coming off wasn't a change in functionality, and if it really bothered me I could buy the exact same backpack again but with redesigned zippers.

I mean it speaks well of the company that they saw a widespread issue and redesigned the backpacks to fix it, but if their warranty doesn't cover a design issue like that I'm not sure it's worth bragging about.

On the other hand you have a company like Apple where their warranties are essentially the legal minimums (in Australia at least) but under their various repair programs I have had thousands of dollars worth of hardware repaired for free years after purchase. Last week they replaced 2 year old airpods, I've had two laptops replaced, both of them a few years after purchase too.

Edit: I just took a look on the Tom Bihn support forums at around 2015 and they were replacing bags for it, but they stopped doing it when (I'm guessing) they realised how widespread it was.

I went through the exact same thing in like 2015 or so (original Synapse bought in 2011).

In fairness to TB, I've kept using the same bag and have had zero issues with rain or water seepage through what are -- admittedly now -- terrible looking zippers.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it must be the failure rate thing, i'm telling you. they are not confident in the product because it is overengineered. it doesn't matter how fancy your component is if you're using 5x as many as you need you're going to have 5x as many failures.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My bag is real fancy, made by samsonite. Cost like 50 bucks. It's weird that people can stand watching linus let alone buy a bag from him if he's going to be a shithead about it. Maybe he could say "no warranty because I officially damage every bag before I ship it like it's one-of-a-kind trade show prototype" and people would understand he can't be trusted.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
be careful, spending anything less than say sixteen labour hours at canadian minimum wage on a backpack will have people very angry at you for being poor, enjoying balogna, etc. :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:catstare: who hates on bologna?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CoolCab posted:

be careful, spending anything less than say sixteen labour hours at canadian minimum wage on a backpack will have people very angry at you for being poor, enjoying balogna, etc. :v:

I only wish the poors someday have the chance to enjoy a backpack with more gear pockets than a bread bag tied with twine

Actually just thought about making a disruptive, tech oriented bindle bag called Byndl. Nobody steal this idea.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Rexxed posted:

My bag is real fancy, made by samsonite. Cost like 50 bucks. It's weird that people can stand watching linus let alone buy a bag from him if he's going to be a shithead about it. Maybe he could say "no warranty because I officially damage every bag before I ship it like it's one-of-a-kind trade show prototype" and people would understand he can't be trusted.

I really try to rein it in as much as I can cause people like what they like and who am I to judge?

But so much this. The guy leans into being an unapologetic doofus and then tries to pivot into someone with integrity and people actually trust him?
ElectroBOOM is a goofball too but at least he owns it, then proves in so many other ways that he’s knowledgeable about his field and cares about accuracy and learning.

I’ll get it out of the way and say:
I’m biased though. In my opinion, Linus has one of the more punchable faces in history next to Ted Cruz. His video with ElectroBOOM is the only ElectroBOOM video that I haven’t/won’t watch

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nice e tough guy thing there :rolleyes: But anyways the electroboom collab was fun as Linus got shocked a lot. However their conclusion was flawed as their definition of success was a POST, and didn't run a true RAM test or anything. You can POST with bad ram.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Nice e tough guy thing there :rolleyes: But anyways the electroboom collab was fun as Linus got shocked a lot. However their conclusion was flawed as their definition of success was a POST, and didn't run a true RAM test or anything. You can POST with bad ram.

Saying someone has a punchable face doesn’t actually mean the poster would assault them. It just means they think the person in question has a loving stupid face.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Alla this backpack hoo ha has made me realise I need a new one, which has resulted in me spending £50 on one of those nice Rains backpacks in my favourite colour. It has like 2 compartments and a little zip bit to put your phone, but looks super snazzy. Well done Linus for stimulating the backpack economy with a combination of over-engineered premium monstrosity and weird CEOpublic meltdown

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I have a nice Carhartt backpack that was sub-$100, and it’s hardy and carries stuff like screwdrivers, Nintendo Switches, hell, even underpants and socks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm Canadian so I'd check out the LTT backpack but the price is ridiculous and I have a nice backpack from an outdoors company we have called MEC that I've had for years and seems super durable.

fake edit: I hadn't even looked at it yet. HAHAHAHAHA

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The LTT backpack looks cool and I want one

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

The LTT backpack looks cool and I want one

I don't believe you.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
the warranty will not cover getting stuffed inside a locker while wearing the backpack

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You're not going to get someone in a locker with that backpack on, you'd need to cut it and that would void the warranty.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I entirely legit hope it's a good product and as much poo poo as I give to folks who buy it it's in good fun. if he's not a sex pest then it's just criticising a dumb product and subjective fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

I entirely legit hope it's a good product and as much poo poo as I give to folks who buy it it's in good fun. if he's not a sex pest then it's just criticising a dumb product and subjective fashion.

The backpack is funny for being huge, but nearly all the criticism here is on Linus being a slimy dick about the warranty and not about the product itself.