Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

imo the booker should try to book well, instead of poorly.

Sounds dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

I wanna know how having his twitter account heavy airquotes "suspended " is risking his life.

Well you see this weekend his friends/sock puppets were claiming he left twitter to avoid all the death threats.

But now he was suspended.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah this is honestly way funnier thing going on than another lonely mentally ill dude who's only treatment is a Twitter account.

The funniest part about the Japanese low T soy boy posts is that they then post pictures of real men who... lost a war?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

People though Tony Khan was a goon but it was Vince all along

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah this is honestly way funnier thing going on than another lonely mentally ill dude who's only treatment is a Twitter account.

The funniest part about the Japanese low T soy boy posts is that they then post pictures of real men who... lost a war?

Par for the course along with Nazis and Confederate sympathizers. In fascism the enemy is all powerful but also weak

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Say what you want about cat boys, they never lost any wars.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Say what you want about cat boys, they never lost any wars.

Shunma just lost a battle royal

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m90HvUp01Gc

The first four minutes of this are spectacular.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1559365149625950208?s=21&t=cluFsDZgl0kZJ2jBsO3Wmg

what longer matches on raw does to a mf

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in the late 90s they snuck the noun creative into wrestling forever. it's a dumb word. it's not "from television" like they want you to think either. they just thought it sounded like that

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I mean, Triple H was in charge of NXT creative 5 years ago, so seems likely?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gumball Gumption posted:

The US for a variety of reasons you can go to school and study about decided to Nuke Japan. It’s like a black eye at a bus stop deal.

Henare carrying water for it is funny on a variety of levels. Normal people ask to go home so idk what is going on over at NJPW.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Dego419/status/1559366333631979522

im sure that cm punk, who was pissed he was never going to main event wrestlemania, would have loved being the star of loving nxt lol

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

what were the Elite asking for from WWE when they turned down their offered contracts from Vince and made AEW?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
im kinda amazed at how quickly vince, who was just a few weeks ago the singular booking genius who alone could run wwe, has been memory holed.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

KungFu Grip posted:

what were the Elite asking for from WWE when they turned down their offered contracts from Vince and made AEW?

I don’t think the bucks were willing to scrap everything they’ve built nor trust WWE to supply them with compensation equal to what they estimated their worth to be.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Cagematch ratings are low-hanging fruit, but just lol at a dude I happened across who gave PAC, Ospreay, and Sami Zayn each a 1.0, Braun Strowman a 9.0, and HHH & Hogan each a 10.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m90HvUp01Gc

The first four minutes of this are spectacular.

I didn't spot it before but I'm getting big Butterfield vibes from him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6s994jOFuY

Hell, even just loading the vids up and not letting them play and they look kinda similar.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ringo Roadagain posted:

im sure that cm punk, who was pissed he was never going to main event wrestlemania, would have loved being the star of loving nxt lol

Punk does not seem to my impression a big 'forgive and forget' type of guy either.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
HHH is the guy who failed to sign the Elite to WWE in 2018 after literally promising he would do it on live television for crying out loud.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/chrissshutton/status/1559166914802458625

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

It's probably around, but I wonder how different it looks. There's a lot of big time players in AEW that HHH brought into the company

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's actually an interesting question. Would Cody have left WWE if Triple Paul was on creative? Possibly - he doesn't seem like a Triple Paul guy, but maybe I'm wrong. If Cody doesn't leave, do we see All In or something similar? Probably not. If we don't see All In does TK still decide to partner with Kenny and the Bucks to start a new promotion? Probably not.

I think it hinges on if Cody thinks he can be elevated under Triple Paul or if he needs to go off and do his own thing for awhile like he ended up doing. If he does go then yeah, I see AEW still existing, but as noted above, probably looks a lot different than it does now.

Satin is not asking this in good faith, of course.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

There still would have been a lot of money to be made on a TV deal for a second company, there would still be way too many talented wrestlers for WWE to fit on TV and WWE would still have a non unlimited budget for talent

The only way AEW wouldn’t exist in some fashion is if Paul Triple H hosed up the TV deals before 2018 and didn’t have multiple bidders driving up their TV rights to billions of dollars

JUNGLE BOY fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 16, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Wasn't Triple H the guy Cody talked to and realized there was no upward mobility in the company? No matter what he says about HHH now he had a chip on his shoulder about HHH for a few years.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Tony is on record that Omega/Jericho at WK12 was the catalyst for him to want to start a wrestling company. People bring up The Cody Tweet and All In all the time but tend to downplay Jericho's role and by extension, Kenny's, since Jericho left WWE to work with Kenny.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Jericho really did make his mark in history as a big time player by leaving WWE and being the catalyst for the first major American Wrestling Company to do really well in decades. But that could be ignorant of me. I know TNA was around back in the day, and it made decent ratings but it never felt as big time as AEW does. But that could be bias.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shard posted:

Jericho really did make his mark in history as a big time player by leaving WWE and being the catalyst for the first major American Wrestling Company to do really well in decades. But that could be ignorant of me. I know TNA was around back in the day, and it made decent ratings but it never felt as big time as AEW does. But that could be bias.

TNA had more viewers due to there being more cable viewers but was never able to tour and it's biggest PPV number is smaller than AEW's smallest. AEW has a much more engaged fanbase where TNA for most people was a thing that was on TV they'd sort of pay attention to.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Endless Mike posted:

It's actually an interesting question. Would Cody have left WWE if Triple Paul was on creative? Possibly - he doesn't seem like a Triple Paul guy, but maybe I'm wrong. If Cody doesn't leave, do we see All In or something similar? Probably not. If we don't see All In does TK still decide to partner with Kenny and the Bucks to start a new promotion? Probably not.

I think it hinges on if Cody thinks he can be elevated under Triple Paul or if he needs to go off and do his own thing for awhile like he ended up doing. If he does go then yeah, I see AEW still existing, but as noted above, probably looks a lot different than it does now.

Satin is not asking this in good faith, of course.

All In wasnt what led to AEW, it was Jericho vs. Omega at WK12. He had already decided to do a wrestling company by the time All In was happening.

But also yes Cody would have still left and All In still would have happened.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

AEW is bigger than TNA ever was just by the fans they draw to arenas all around. I liked TNA back in the days but it always was a studio show and when Hogan tried to do a Monday Night war vs Raw I was already stopping watching it because... Hogan (and Dixie Carter of course).

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

It’s more unlikely that AEW would exist with Vince in charge vs HHH, given Vince’s track record of maintaining a monopoly.

Also, I get that the WWE Universe is riding high right now because the matches are longer and the commentators are saying less buzzwords for 3 weeks, but there is zero evidence that HHH (who experienced heart failure last year) can sustain good booking across 7 hours of television for multiple years that would leave all of the wrestlers and fans satisfied.

In the past HHH even said his NXT style booking wouldn’t work on the main roster. His main roster changes are clearly reactive to what AEW did to win over its audience, so if there’s no AEW there’s even more reason to believe that the main roster TV wouldn’t be all that different today

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I've never been a fan of the Great Men view of history. Sure, Tony saw Omega vs Jericho and it opened his eyes about a wrestling company, but I feel like the bigger driver was simply that there were a growing number of people who were wrestling fans without being WWE fans. The increased visibility of New Japan and the increased willingness of Western fans to spend money on it were there regardless of whether Tony Khan got bit by the promoter bug.

Having a combined money man, CEO, and booker helped, and things would look very different without Khan, but they would be as different from the 2016 wrestling landscape as we are.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

This is of course, insane to entertain in good faith, because with these people 8 weeks ago there was nothing wrong with WWE, and a year ago it was good that HHH lost control of NXT because he wasn’t creating main roster stars

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HHH is the one who told Cody that they only saw value in Stardust,band not Cody Rhodes

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I'd say it still gets made, and you still get guys like Mox and Bryan jumping ship just because they feel constrained by creative and the WWE style. So I'd imagine it would still be pretty successful, there's just a chance you're losing some of your really big acts like FTR, MIro, TUE, Keith, Swerve, Cesaro

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
The never-ending Discourse respects shifts in momentum more than consistent quality. This is why the average Raw bumping from a D+ average to a C+ average has people running wild with praise, while the occasional B- Dynamite brings out the doomposting.

Triple H pushes his favorites just as much Vince did (exhibit A: Karrion Kross), no way he could've kept everyone happy. Even if he was the best booker ever, I don't think you could keep hold of everyone, not with the amount of talent there is in wrestling these days. The budget cuts might have looked different, but a publicly traded company needs to keep growing indefinitely, they couldn't have paid everyone. Tony Khan could've overpaid some upper midcard guys if that's what it took to fill out his roster.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Lamuella posted:

I've never been a fan of the Great Men view of history. Sure, Tony saw Omega vs Jericho and it opened his eyes about a wrestling company, but I feel like the bigger driver was simply that there were a growing number of people who were wrestling fans without being WWE fans. The increased visibility of New Japan and the increased willingness of Western fans to spend money on it were there regardless of whether Tony Khan got bit by the promoter bug.

Having a combined money man, CEO, and booker helped, and things would look very different without Khan, but they would be as different from the 2016 wrestling landscape as we are.

I think you're making the same point on this one. Omega vs. Jericho and the amount of western fans who both flew in for the show and who were watching/discussing it online showed a potential audience outside of WWE.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://twitter.com/Cooktheicefire/status/1559538121129295875?t=IcZ2sKoq2RK_-LvGtUus2w&s=19

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Somebody hit me with Emmitt Till in a conversation about Vince and his allegations. These people truly have no shame!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/WRESTLECringe/status/1559577637856706561

https://twitter.com/WRESTLECringe/status/1559564079836045312

https://twitter.com/WRESTLECringe/status/1559563861224718337