Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Awesome! posted:

you still need to not be an idiot with 2fa though. in ff14 there is a very common phishing scam where people will whisper you a link to a "300 million gil giveaway" that they try to disguise like an official forum link which asks you to log in with your account info and 2fa. they then immediately log into your account with the 2fa code and clean you out/start spamming more shady links.

people are constantly falling for it and being like "buhhh i have 2fa why am i hacked???"

Also, vote for my CS team please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
steam new releases not afraid to ask the important questions

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

An historical?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

*an historic

mystes
May 31, 2006

Awesome! posted:

you still need to not be an idiot with 2fa though. in ff14 there is a very common phishing scam where people will whisper you a link to a "300 million gil giveaway" that they try to disguise like an official forum link which asks you to log in with your account info and 2fa. they then immediately log into your account with the 2fa code and clean you out/start spamming more shady links.

people are constantly falling for it and being like "buhhh i have 2fa why am i hacked???"
That's one of the biggest advantages of u2f

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Sab669 posted:

An historical?

Legitimately valid if you pronounce it the French way.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

lmao isnt NGB a janky mess and everyone was really hyped for the sequels to polish it up to make a true classic, but they just progressively got worse

Nope

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox/ninja-gaiden-black

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/ninja-gaiden-black-review/1900-6134001/

https://www.ign.com/articles/2020/01/03/the-10-best-action-games-of-all-time?amp=1

https://medium.com/@shanedent20xx/review-ninja-gaiden-black-ca4003e3666f

The ports of NGB (Sigma) aren't quite as good and neither are the sequels, but the original is one of the best games of all time. And I'm saying this having played it for the first time last year. If you're into character action games it cannot be missed. It's a crime against nature that it's not on PC, (the Sigma port is though) but it can be emulated well enough or played on any modern Xbox system. It was always 60fps and looked good at 480p, but it also renders at 4K on the XB1X and XBSX.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

black was a polished up version of the original xbox release and the pinnacle of that run of ninja gaiden series, but it’s true that each sequel got progressively worse

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

:siren::siren:Devil May Cry 5 +Vergil $8.99 Flash Deal -72%:siren::siren:
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/devil-may-cry-5-vergil

12 hours remaining as of this post

fwiw it's even cheaper here: https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/devil-may-cry-5-vergil-steam-key--3823-4

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Azran posted:

Legitimately valid if you pronounce it the French way.
Pronouncing things in the French way is never valid.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sab669 posted:

An historical?

British

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
powerwash simulator gives you the Tetris Effect in a really bad way

walking around my neighborhood and feeling sweat beat on the back of my neck as i pass all these grimy bits in need of a good ding

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oxxidation posted:

powerwash simulator gives you the Tetris Effect in a really bad way

walking around my neighborhood and feeling sweat beat on the back of my neck as i pass all these grimy bits in need of a good ding

My back verandah needs it real bad but we're on water restrictions..

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Spiderman remake is a lot of fun and makes me wish I had a modern graphics card. Still looks and runs great on a 1070 but I'm wondering what it would be like with some of the fancy RTX stuff turned on.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Spiderman remake is a lot of fun and makes me wish I had a modern graphics card. Still looks and runs great on a 1070 but I'm wondering what it would be like with some of the fancy RTX stuff turned on.

The RTX stuff is nice, but pretty subtle. Honestly with the speed the game moves at when you're swinging around, you be hard pressed to notice any different at all with RT on or off. Even when you're standing still, there are many areas of the game where you could toggle RT and you'd struggle to see what has actually changed.

Quickie to show the "differences" between RT on and off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXerm08r69c

Longer in-depth vid about the effects and performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI2VUQsPqJo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The RTX stuff is nice, but pretty subtle. Honestly with the speed the game moves at when you're swinging around, you be hard pressed to notice any different at all with RT on or off. Even when you're standing still, there are many areas of the game where you could toggle RT and you'd struggle to see what has actually changed.

RT.TXT, really.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I tried Cultist simulator and I love the concept and feel and idea behind the game. (Researching the unknown mysteries, forming a cult and trying to touch places that only the unspeakable gods should touch.)

But I keep bouncing off it. I get stuck just trying to earn money so I can buy more books to do research and learn more stuff. God help me if I get sick. Are there any other games that have the setting and feel and themes of Cultist Simulator? Doesn't have to be the same mechanics and genre.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What settings are you using? I'm on a 1060 6gb and am playing with settings but it's hard to tell what's worth it for the performance hit.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BigRed0427 posted:

So I tried Cultist simulator and I love the concept and feel and idea behind the game. (Researching the unknown mysteries, forming a cult and trying to touch places that only the unspeakable gods should touch.)

But I keep bouncing off it. I get stuck just trying to earn money so I can buy more books to do research and learn more stuff. God help me if I get sick. Are there any other games that have the setting and feel and themes of Cultist Simulator? Doesn't have to be the same mechanics and genre.

Shrouded Isle maybe?

e: for similar writing styles, try Sunless Skies. As a bonus that one was made after the dipshit dev of Cultist Simulator left that studio.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RodShaft posted:

What settings are you using? I'm on a 1060 6gb and am playing with settings but it's hard to tell what's worth it for the performance hit.

Almost everything on medium, textures bumped to high so things look a bit better without much performance hit. Only other change is setting ambient occlusion to HBAO+ since I've never liked SSAO, I don't think that's much of a performance hit either. Past the days of being able to set everything to high, maybe once the 4000 series drops and I finally buy a 3070. Game is optimized really well from what I've played despite the old hardware, the only noticeable FPS drops I've seen are story sections when you're inside F.E.A.S.T.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
PSA: There is now an "Add to Library" button for all free dlc that lets you claim it without automatically launching whatever game it is associated with, finally, for the love of god why did it take this long

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It works for free games too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gadzuko posted:

PSA: There is now an "Add to Library" button for all free dlc that lets you claim it without automatically launching whatever game it is associated with, finally, for the love of god why did it take this long

loving hell, at last

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Sunless Skies/Seas as recommended above. Fallen London in general. All have the distinctive mark of Alexis Kennedy even after he was forced out for being a creep.

A House of Many Doors.

The Library of Ruina

The Consuming Shadow

Scarlet Hollow

Anchorhead

Yuppie Psycho

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

BigRed0427 posted:

Honestly I say stick with the game, start as the clerk job, and put on a podcast and grind your way to the top position and make a bunch of money while growing your stats, and then back up your save there and start loving around. You'll be basically invincible and self-sustainable until you start getting into the midgame progression stuff where managing Suspicion is no longer optional. The game really delivers on the concepts you mention once you get into rituals and sacrifices and poo poo and it's worth experiencing. That initial grind definitely isn't necessary once you know all the ins and outs of the game but it will give you enough of a cushion to freely experiment with stuff.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

Pronouncing things in the French way is never valid.

It's la guerre, then.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Cult of the Lamb really feels like an early access game that was pushed out as 1.0.

More than half of the tech tree unlocks are useless. Countless bugs and issues. I had softlocks on bosses, buildings disappearing, people being stuck, softlocking when talking to people / picking up items.
The combat balance is also completely off. One unlockable armor doubles the damage you take but gives a higher multiplier the more enemies you kill without taking a hit. This has no cap. You can imagine how this goes, bosses can be one shot with this.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I am not sure what the normal number of bugs is for people playing it, but I have only had one bug (like a dozen copies of a cultist spawned when I resurrected him), which was fixed with no loss of progress by a save reload. This was in about ten hours so far.

I think it could reasonably be billed as either late stage EA or 1.0 with the expectation of updates, and it seems like they chose the latter. It is definitely missing some gameplay polish but I’m still having fun with my run. It also definitely has a ton of polish in terms of art style/animations- everything is quite satisfying imo. It seems like post 20 hours and finishing a full run of the story I’ll probably put it down until some big updates come out, but I’m happy with it for what it is now I think.

I’m not really sure what difficulty does, but I put it up pretty high so maybe that helped keep it engaging too? It’s still not particularly hard, and no one system is incredible on its own, but I like how they feed into each other a lot. The little emergent stories you get are also fun.

E: also not sure if I mind the Golden Fleece. If you’re good enough to not get hit while killing like 20 enemies, you’d probably kill the boss no problem anyways, so maybe it’s sort of ok? I do agree it’s waaay more impactful than any of the others tho and see where you are coming from.

tildes fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 15, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/QuiteDan/status/1558855164290809856

Ok this game is about what if a squirrel had a gun

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Someone tweet this dweeb that squirrel with a gun gameplay was perfected in the 90s.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Almost everything on medium, textures bumped to high so things look a bit better without much performance hit. Only other change is setting ambient occlusion to HBAO+ since I've never liked SSAO, I don't think that's much of a performance hit either. Past the days of being able to set everything to high, maybe once the 4000 series drops and I finally buy a 3070. Game is optimized really well from what I've played despite the old hardware, the only noticeable FPS drops I've seen are story sections when you're inside F.E.A.S.T.

I found a weird construction site area as part of a side quest fake spidey here my fps went into the 30's regardless of RT settings. I didn't play around with other settings to figure out what was up though. I assumed is had something to do with water reflections on the ground but strange that disabling RT didn't improve it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Is there a step-by-step I could give to a friend who hasn't bothered with the FLC?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I play it 1080 on 60 hz monitor. I started with the overall medium setting and then I put shadows on high because I hate blocky shadows. I put traffic in crowd density on low or very low. I haven't really noticed any difference between any of the things, so that seems fine for me. I put textures higher because I thought that relied more on the amount of ram on the card, But really I don't know how anything works. I guess it decompresses the high def textures using the CPU which can bottleneck some systems? I wonder if they'll be a mod to just fill up my entire hard drive with decompressed textures so that my NVMe can do the heavy lifting on that.

Anyway, the only dips I notice are when I'm swinging through town. And it's only like a 5 to 10% drop. I don't know if it's their motion blurring or what but it's not as noticeable as even like a couple of frames dropped another games. Yeah I was really surprised at how well it runs on my decade old computer with a 5-year-old graphics card.

Like overall I'm super impressed. I just like fiddling with things.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/QuiteDan/status/1558855164290809856

Ok this game is about what if a squirrel had a gun
steam has been a real blessing for games whose novelty/humor lasts about five minutes

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

last chance to get ultrakill at the lower price

https://twitter.com/ULTRAKILLGame/status/1559224280931569666

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

steam has been a real blessing for games whose novelty/humor lasts about five minutes

It's like some people see something like Goat Simulator and go "lol I have a wacky idea too" and just expect it to go viral as a bunch of streamers play it for the zany content.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

pentyne posted:

It's like some people see something like Goat Simulator and go "lol I have a wacky idea too" and just expect it to go viral as a bunch of streamers play it for the zany content.

I mean not for nothing, I kind of really want to play that squirrel with a gun game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

repiv posted:

last chance to get ultrakill at the lower price

https://twitter.com/ULTRAKILLGame/status/1559224280931569666

Not sure why the tweet says 24ish hours, Steam says it's on sale until the 22nd for me.

I installed the demo and it's fun but I feel like it's one of those games I'll put 6 hours into and then never think about it again.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I know I'll love ultrakill but I'm very over boomer shooters being early access for years, I know they usually need the income and understand why they do it but I have no desire to play the shareware release when there's rarely a set date as to when the full release is coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mr E posted:

I know I'll love ultrakill but I'm very over boomer shooters being early access for years, I know they usually need the income and understand why they do it but I have no desire to play the shareware release when there's rarely a set date as to when the full release is coming.

Fashion Police Squad just came out