Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Well, now we know why his claim that he had three passports and the FBI seized all of them made no sense.

"The FBI also took my original Stratocaster. And my collection of antique watches."

FAKE EDIT:

Honestly it's pretty telling that Trump doesn't already know who squealed on him. If I were going to steal a bunch of papers I would tell like, one other person where they were, and then it would be real obvious if the feds found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It really feels like this is all accelerating and coming to a head. Trump is actively doing things to inflame the situation and get his base riled up. He could tweet "I've been taking into custody this is the last you'll hear from me" and before the doj could even prove otherwise the morons would already be in the streets killing people.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Can’t wait for the followup “Never mind, found them in the junk drawer! They were under a bunch of loose batteries. First world!”

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

After he said they took his passports they should have just loving taken them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Here's your wildest story of the day: The FBI nearly executed a warrant to arrest Brad Pitt, but ultimately decided not to.

They were acting on an allegation from Angelina Jolie that Brad Pitt "verbally and physically" abused her and their kids on a private plan in 2016. They ultimately did not go forward with it because of a lack of evidence/witnesses and the fact that the detail came to light during their divorce case and Pitt + his attorney disputed it.

Jolie is filing a FOIA request for all the information the FBI collected during their investigation in order to "better understand the FBI’s investigation and obtain information necessary for her children to receive medical care and trauma counseling" over the incident.

https://twitter.com/eriqgardner/status/1559301992425689091

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 16, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, Salman Rushdie's agent provided an update on his condition:

- He's been taken off the ventilator and can breathe on his own.
- He was stabbed approximately 10 times.
- He will likely lose an eye.
- The nerves on left arm were completely severed and will result in permanent nerve damage.
- He is most likely going to survive the incident.
- They have no clue how long he will be in the hospital or how long his recovery will take, but both are expected to be substantial.

https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN/status/1559322139462963203

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Made many loud declarations that trump will never face "real" consequences (poverty, jail, dronestrikes) and hope in one hand and poo poo in the other and all that, but it'd still be great to see him take a critical hit. That being said, would there actually be substantial blowback? Would it warrant or be paid the same attention to as the jan 6th hearings? How would the present (political) powers respond?

What would that look like, an increased mass shooting cycle because we're accustomed to it? Or actual directed violent domestic action? I'm morbidly curious what the dems spin on that situation would be. Could they harm the gun lobby legislatively while also encouraging Americans to accumulate strength via... community and vigilance? Massive re-re-investment into domestic police state?

Didnt mean to drive onto route 1984 and it really wasn't the point, it is a question asked in good faith.

Edit* spent too long writing that to delete it but actual consequences + being sorted while democrats still ~retain power~ reads as a different kind of mad than I identify with, but let's just say dems retain power for the sake of the question.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 16, 2022

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Also, Salman Rushdie's agent provided an update on his condition:

- He's been taken off the ventilator and can breathe on his own.
- He was stabbed approximately 10 times.
- He will likely lose an eye.
- The nerves on left arm were completely severed and will result in permanent nerve damage.
- He is most likely going to survive the incident.
- They have no clue how long he will be in the hospital or how long his recovery will take, but both are expected to be substantial.

https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN/status/1559322139462963203

How do you plead not guilty to an attack everyone saw and you were caught at the scene?
Unless I don’t have the facts there correct. I assume there’s some utility to pleading not guilty even if you were caught red handed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In a situation like that the strategy is to argue that you actually committed a lesser crime with a lighter sentence, not that you’re innocent and all the eyewitnesses are wrong

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah had that thought after I posted, thanks

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Since there's been like a couple dozen posts about what level of mattering this will be for Trump, I made a thread and poll to discuss it, since I am curious what the general consensus is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010073

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump Organization CFO plans to plead guilty to all charges on Thursday.

No indication that he is agreeing to plea in exchange for cooperating against Trump, though.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1559297882339033089
https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1559298146571788288

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
So wierd that so many people in Trump organizations end up being criminals.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Well, now we know why his claim that he had three passports and the FBI seized all of them made no sense.

Apparently the FBI did actually take the passports (2 were expired).

https://twitter.com/TayFromCA/status/1559322600311910400

poo poo source, but no one's doubting the veracity of the email

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rinkles posted:

Apparently the FBI did actually take the passports (2 were expired).

https://twitter.com/TayFromCA/status/1559322600311910400

poo poo source, but no one's doubting the veracity of the email

Yeah, it looks like that has been confirmed. The situation was that 2 were expired, only one was active.

They were part of the boxes they took and they filtered through them and offered them back after the filter team reviewed the box they were in. Trump didn't even know they were gone until they informed him and told him to come pick them up, but he never picked them up until 8 hours later and released the statement that they stole his passports after they told him to come get them.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1559365270002606080

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The fascists are going to hyperventilate with glee at having the thinnest veneer of a reason to declare the whole thing a witch hunt. I can practically hear the intake of breath before the 24/7 screeching we'll hear over the next months/years about the passport thing.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The fascists are going to hyperventilate with glee at having the thinnest veneer of a reason to declare the whole thing a witch hunt. I can practically hear the intake of breath before the 24/7 screeching we'll hear over the next months/years about the passport thing.

Yeah but they've done that about literally everything else so who gives a gently caress about a thing that Boils down to "Lazy rear end in a top hat refuses to pick up passport, claims it was stolen"

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It's not about giving a gently caress, it's about how laughably predictable they are. No one should ever give a poo poo what a fascist says or thinks. It's just funny that they'll now get their marching orders and anyone can see it coming from a mile away. They're like trained dogs- no debasement is too far.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It's not about giving a gently caress, it's about how laughably predictable they are. No one should ever give a poo poo what a fascist says or thinks. It's just funny that they'll now get their marching orders and anyone can see it coming from a mile away. They're like trained dogs- no debasement is too far.

Ah, I misunderstood the point you were making, my mistake.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yup. Top post

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah, it looks like that has been confirmed. The situation was that 2 were expired, only one was active.

They were part of the boxes they took and they filtered through them and offered them back after the filter team reviewed the box they were in. Trump didn't even know they were gone until they informed him and told him to come pick them up, but he never picked them up until 8 hours later and released the statement that they stole his passports after they told him to come get them.
What a piece of poo poo

The saddest part is, now it looks like he was right, even if he's just taking advantage of the situation

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

No one cares but the chuds, and the chuds only pretend to care about this.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

yronic heroism posted:

No one cares but the chuds, and the chuds only pretend to care about this.

The issue is that they most certainly care, and will use this as the fishhook into squealing endlessly about how this is an illegitimate witchhunt, and an instance in which the FBI admitted illegal seizure of trump's property.

That's not necessarily worth caring about in and of itself, because they were going to find some bullshit to do this about anyway on the thinnest possible pretense, but it IS important to track with the cycles of their bullshit in advance

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
They are going to screech about everything real or not. It doesn't matter.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
so far the republicans have gotten like zero traction on literally any of their screeching about it. of all the things I don't think the passport bullshit is going to particularly register. also Rs are clearly still gunshy after the whole 'well it's not like he had nuclear secrets there' and then trump tweeting just hours later about how it was nuclear secrets, but obama had them too

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Crying about passports leads pretty quickly to a rebuttal of "maybe he shouldn't have kept his passport in a box in the basement full of stolen nuclear secrets", I would hope even Democrats could manage that messaging.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
what do you not keep your passports in a box full of stolen TS/SCI documents that hostile countries would give almost anything to get their hands on?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I could see an argument that the passports could be considered evidence, depending on what the feds were looking for. If you were looking into possible shady meetings and when and where they took place, using the stamps on those would be helpful. Then again, I mean, it's not like finding out where trump traveled would be that hard in the first place but the passport would be proof.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Mendrian posted:

Honestly it's pretty telling that Trump doesn't already know who squealed on him. If I were going to steal a bunch of papers I would tell like, one other person where they were, and then it would be real obvious if the feds found out.
I thought this started because the national archives were auditing his papers and discovered stuff was missing?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what do you not keep your passports in a box full of stolen TS/SCI documents that hostile countries would give almost anything to get their hands on?

He probably wasn't actually keeping the passports in a box. A diplomatic passport technically qualifies as a "government paper", and as Popehat said a couple days ago, it's not uncommon for the agents on the ground to interpret search warrants broadly.

Which is part of why there's an entire team of people combing through what was seized to make sure they quickly identify and return anything not relevant to the case.

Also, it specifies that they took his diplomatic passport. Presumably he has a regular non-diplomatic passport that they didn't take.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Looks like that housing shortage is only going to get worse in the short to medium term.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1559530508970770432
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1559529035029422085

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Bellmaker posted:

2014 was the start of Gamergate I believe so the widening split between men and women beginning there isn't too much of a surprise to me.
I just can't get my head around the idea that the collapse of American democracy will have happened because some boys got mad that girls wanted to play video games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Looks like that housing shortage is only going to get worse in the short to medium term.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1559530508970770432
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1559529035029422085

Was there actually a significant amount of housing construction that wasn’t just single family luxury homes? Developers like Lennar have been eating up a lot of farmland near me (starting at the low $1.2Ms!) and I wouldn’t call a slowdown a disaster for anything besides their own fortunes.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

Was there actually a significant amount of housing construction that wasn’t just single family luxury homes? Developers like Lennar have been eating up a lot of farmland near me (starting at the low $1.2Ms!) and I wouldn’t call a slowdown a disaster for anything besides their own fortunes.

The housing market works like a big hermit crab shuffle, so any new house added kinda counts. The lack of middle class housing has to do with a few things, not the least of which are labor and material shortages- it's a lot easier to build 4 giant houses than 12 normal houses when you can only find so many workers and the material costs are going crazy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just about all types of housing fell.

Multifamily housing with 5 or more units fell 10%.
Single-family houses fell 10.1%.
Permits for future home construction fell to the lowest level of the year.

The U.S. has about a 6% backlog for housing construction nationwide and it is as high as 14% in some areas.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dietrich posted:

The housing market works like a big hermit crab shuffle, so any new house added kinda counts. The lack of middle class housing has to do with a few things, not the least of which are labor and material shortages- it's a lot easier to build 4 giant houses than 12 normal houses when you can only find so many workers and the material costs are going crazy.
A giant $1.3 million house was just built across from my family's modest middle-class home . It's quite the monstrosity compared to any of the homes around it and it amuses me to think that whatever rich family moves in will have to look across to us and our brownish front lawn that we didn't bother watering this summer and our broken-down car we keep in the driveway, lol.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 16, 2022

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Is there some legal (as in like Congress or Biden could just make a law/order) way that they could stop the big investment firms from buying like every single new and used house on the market? I'm not sure what the lever would be (im not really in the market because I have a cheap apartment) but my friends with houses talk about how like hundreds of houses will go on the market (dallas region) and then be bought by Blackrock or whoever in like 2 hours for 115 cents on the dollar and actual people aren't able to get any house for any price. Seems like that not happening would help the housing crisis?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I just can't get my head around the idea that the collapse of American democracy will have happened because some boys got mad that girls wanted to play video games.

Actually, the collapse of American democracy happened because Lowtax purged hentai

projecthalaxy posted:

Is there some legal (as in like Congress or Biden could just make a law/order) way that they could stop the big investment firms from buying like every single new and used house on the market? I'm not sure what the lever would be (im not really in the market because I have a cheap apartment) but my friends with houses talk about how like hundreds of houses will go on the market (dallas region) and then be bought by Blackrock or whoever in like 2 hours for 115 cents on the dollar and actual people aren't able to get any house for any price. Seems like that not happening would help the housing crisis?

The big thing would be a vacancy tax- make a house nobody lives in (because the owner is holding out for a high rent or a high flip price) much more expensive to own than an occupied one. This is periodically proposed at local levels; I'm not sure if it can be done federally. And if it can it would have to be Congress, not Biden, since it's a tax law change

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 16, 2022

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

projecthalaxy posted:

Its not immediately obvious that its a long-term problem, because either those houses were undervalued or they weren't. Someone is going to be living in them at some price, or the buyer will quickly realize they made a mistake and either sell or lower rents.

But that aside, you just asked how it could be done. I don't think we could pass a law saying they can't buy those houses. At the Federal level, the most likely way would be to disincentivize it somehow through our tax laws. Maybe large investment firms (or small companies owned by them) above $X Billion revenue whose primary business is not at all related to housing doesn't get to depreciate single family rental properties, and/or pays a new extra tax of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

projecthalaxy posted:

Sort of. They could implement some kind of holding requirement that general investment firms can't hold more than X amount of real estate. But, you would probably just have REITs pick up the slack.

Blackrock owns a very tiny amount of houses. They are increasing their purchasing rate, but they still own a fraction of a percent of single-family homes. They are exacerbating the problem because the shortage means that basically any house has a strong chance to be profitable now. But, they didn't create it.

60 years of not allowing any construction except single-family homes, local zoning restrictions to prevent mixed use developments, homeowners blocking any attempt to lower the value or increase the supply of housing to protect their home values, many major American cities becoming abandoned for 20 years and then rapidly becoming popular places to live 30 years later, the Boomer generation's preference for very large McMansion style houses and large yards, parking requirements, and federal housing policy that strongly incentivizes getting large mortgages all combined into what we have now.

Now, we have inertia/some of the same problems still remaining that are preventing acting quickly. But, also it is trying to overcome 60 years of bad decisions made at all different levels. So, there isn't a quick way to fix it.

Some places, like Manhattan, will always be expensive because so many people want to live there and there just isn't any more physical land.

But, places like Washington, D.C. and Seattle are absolutely the victims of decades of bad housing policy and don't have to be expensive.

haveblue posted:

The big thing would be a vacancy tax- make a house nobody lives in (because the owner is holding out for a high rent or a high flip price) much more expensive to own than an occupied one. This is periodically proposed at local levels; I'm not sure if it can be done federally. And if it can it would have to be Congress, not Biden, since it's a tax law change

That wouldn't make much of a difference at all right now. Vacancy rates are at historic lows and the people who buy the houses are either living there or renting them and immediately finding someone to be their tenant.

Vacancy taxes are to stop people from buying property and then leaving it empty/unproductive for years.