Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Walt did everything he did for his family, guys. He even said so :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I bought this smile as genuine. I bet Chuck would have taken care of him like they both did their mother. If Jimmy had come down with some kind of unheard of illness that made him allergic to electricity, Chuck would have hated every moment of caring for his brother who he loves. That's what that scene said to me personally- the 'two ships passing in the night' comment from above ITT was brilliant.

Chuck would've had him taken care of, but he would not have personally seen to it every day like Jimmy would. He'd hire a very nice person who'd do it much more competently though. Chuck's not wired that way.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Walt didn’t redeem himself. And I know what the phone call was for. But it clearly didn’t help because skyler and Flynn had to move to a crappy apartment probably away from everything they knew and loved.

And walt said you’ll be off the hook in that scene so she wasn’t absolved of all her involvement with his phone call

They got their assets seized except what Walter hid away for Flynn, but she's not under federal prosecution, outside of some surveillance. It's not an optimal outcome, but much better than if he made sure not to implicate her and give her enough deniability.

Same with Jesse, he went through torture and the crap during El Camino, but its better than still being locked underground cooking until he died.

Walt got them in terrible situations and was at least able to make it less terrible for both with his death.

Neither of these shows are for people that only think in either/or dichotomies without nuance is all the point I was making. Nothing is really either/or.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Didn't Francesca say during the big phone call that Skylar cut a deal that got her and the rest of the family off?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
That final season of BCS was an absolute masterclass. They managed to cram a TON of stuff into the final six episodes without ever making the cuts back and forth seem jarring. I felt that the black and white scheme of the future scenes....for whatever reason....just worked. Loved that they managed to feature some scenes with characters from BB....that not only felt natural.....but felt that they contributed in a big way towards tieing pre-Heisenberg Saul to post-Heisenberg Saul.

Just an all around brilliant ending to the show.....that personally......I feel exceeded the show it spun off of.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Didn't Francesca say during the big phone call that Skylar cut a deal that got her and the rest of the family off?

with walt's GPS coordinates, yeah; it's why marie knows that hank and gomez got unceremoniously dumped in a ditch

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I thought that missed the mark pretty wide.

The only color being the flame and cig means the entire black and white conceit doesn't get paid off in a satisfying way.

I feel like the plan was that Saul throws away his sweet deal to make it so that Kim doesn't get sued, but then absolutely nothing that happens makes it that Kim can't get sued.

I feel like they thought that making it explicit that he did it for Kim makes it actually one more case of Jimmy running a grift to manipulate someone else's outcomes, rather than having a true change of heart.

But since the Time Machine / regret theme was SO UNSUBTLE obviously we are supposed to go with Jimmy is back and somehow redeemed after the poo poo he especially as Gene.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sugar Blaster posted:

saul is gonna live a good life in prison because convicts know who he is and how he can help them and he manipulated kim into representing him because she thinks he's repentant that's the ending and it owns

I don't know why I'm continually surprised at how bad goons are at watching TV but I am. Guess it's the eternal optimist in me always getting let down. And I'm singling this post out but I could have quoted so many. All the ones about "why did he do what he did, he had a sweet deal, it makes zero sense." But the quoted post is pretty ridiculous too.

FYI: Kim is not representing Jimmy.

FYI: she probably said she was just so they can say goodbye. They will never see each other ever again.

FYI: I don't know that repentant is the right word, but remember the scenes about "what if time machine?" and Saul says he'd use it to make money or to prevent an injury. He never had anything he cared about more than his wants and needs. Until he hears that Kim gave Mrs. Howard a blank check and realizes that there's one thing he values more than freedom or money (after all, he had both as Gene. How happy was he?). And that is Kim. Whether you want to call it love, or wanting her respect, or just wanting her to know that she was that thing in his life, the one thing he values above all else.

Jimmy will die in prison. Jimmy will never see Kim again. Jimmy has as much peace as is possible for him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yes which is also why I got so confused with that conversation. We know Skyler got freed due to what she was given by Walt.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

By comparison what other shows recently finished with a Lumberjack ending?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I didn't realize how many Emmy's this has been nominated for.....without winning a single one. Have to think they break the glass here.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sub Rosa posted:

The only color being the flame and cig means the entire black and white conceit doesn't get paid off in a satisfying way.

it is, i think, a very clever subversion of expectations: you're anticipating that jimmy'll have some big come-to-jesus moment and the world will spring back into color again, but the single moment in the whole episode with any color is reserved for, like before, a very brief flicker of a brighter past. it's meant to hammer home the fact that there is no time machine, that you can't change the past, and that the present you've made, no matter how gray and uncertain, is the one you have to live in

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Sub Rosa posted:

I thought that missed the mark pretty wide.

I feel like the plan was that Saul throws away his sweet deal to make it so that Kim doesn't get sued, but then absolutely nothing that happens makes it that Kim can't get sued.

I feel like they thought that making it explicit that he did it for Kim makes it actually one more case of Jimmy running a grift to manipulate someone else's outcomes, rather than having a true change of heart.

But since the Time Machine / regret theme was SO UNSUBTLE obviously we are supposed to go with Jimmy is back and somehow redeemed after the poo poo he especially as Gene.

The things you "feel like" are explicitly not what was occurring, so I think your opinion of the ending is a little off base

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I was kind of expecting the identity theft he did as Gene to come back in some way, I guess it could’ve just been more added to the pile of charges against him? At the very least I’ve got to think Jeff is pretty screwed if they connect him to it.

I enjoyed the finale and how it brought back a shred of humanity for Jimmy. It didn’t feel bombastic or overdone either.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Caros
May 14, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

The things you "feel like" are explicitly not what was occurring, so I think your opinion of the ending is a little off base

How are goons so bad at watching TV?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah guys, remember, Jimmy had an offer of 30 years before his 7 year masterstroke and purposefully confessed to poo poo to bump it up to something he knew would get him put away for life, ending up at 86 years.

He had nothing left to live for except whatever love he still had for Kim. Jimmy intended to do his time. Gene's dead. Saul's dead. Jimmy is paying his dues.

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine

Zero One posted:

Walt: Dead
Jesse: Escaped
Saul: Jail
Kim: Free

It makes sense.

jeffy still awaiting that cash bail
Jeffy: Detained

Protodude posted:

First they left Huell waiting, and now Jeffy....

its crazy cause jeffy is the thing that sets everything off

FireWorksWell posted:

What happened to poor Jeffy? His papa's never coming for him

Jeffy needed to post cash bail. He might have it on hand from his schemes with 'gene'. None of that matters though cause Marion called the whole thing out. They would inevitably interview her, know everything about the saul gene jeffy buddy connection. I thought we were going to see jeffy show up in the courtroom (even though it's easy to forget about him with everything else going on) and blow the deal up, by being a witness and showing saul will continue to be saul without a walter to poke him. Jeffy not showing up during court probably means he got off scott free

NowonSA posted:

My favorite touch was how him being kidnapped and threatened at gunpoint in front of an open grave as his introduction to Walter White works really drat well as a defense ploy, and how I totally didn't think of that.

"his name was mayhew, he came into my office and tried to bribe me"
he tried to pin the whole thing on badger lmao

ALFbrot posted:

It was a well-worn copy of The Time Machine. I would venture that Chuck oft used time travel as a conversational hypothetical, and Jimmy carried that on with him, holding his regrets about Chuck in his heart but never quite being able to own up to them until the end

couldn't help but notice the focus on the lantern which took him out. I assume this is the night chuck committed suicide?
jimmy makes it a point to say i'll see ya tomorrow, maybe even with the financial times!

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
the best way to experience media is entirely transactional, so when i dont get exactly what i want this is bad. im the customer and the customer is always right. now bring on mike vietnam show

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
What a beautiful finale. A wonderful send off to both Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad.

“The name is McGill. I’m James McGill”

Jimmy has finally become a full person again. In the prison scene all of his alter egos have merged. The bread baking of Gene, the recognition and swagger of Saul, and connecting with Kim again as Jimmy.

Saul is gone. Jimmy maybe in prison, but he’s finally free.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

I don't know why I'm continually surprised at how bad goons are at watching TV but I am. Guess it's the eternal optimist in me always getting let down. And I'm singling this post out but I could have quoted so many. All the ones about "why did he do what he did, he had a sweet deal, it makes zero sense." But the quoted post is pretty ridiculous too.

FYI: Kim is not representing Jimmy.

FYI: she probably said she was just so they can say goodbye. They will never see each other ever again.

FYI: I don't know that repentant is the right word, but remember the scenes about "what if time machine?" and Saul says he'd use it to make money or to prevent an injury. He never had anything he cared about more than his wants and needs. Until he hears that Kim gave Mrs. Howard a blank check and realizes that there's one thing he values more than freedom or money (after all, he had both as Gene. How happy was he?). And that is Kim. Whether you want to call it love, or wanting her respect, or just wanting her to know that she was that thing in his life, the one thing he values above all else.

Jimmy will die in prison. Jimmy will never see Kim again. Jimmy has as much peace as is possible for him.

I also viewed all of the flash back scenes (at least to Gene-era Jimmy) and ESPECIALLY the one the ones from this episode as buried memories of which Jimmy is ruminating conciously or subconciously. Those scenes weren't just for us they were for him: finally unearthed for him to see and face down. With those memories flooding back, and him recontextualizing them, it makes sense that Jimmy would turn repentant.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The scene with Chuck where they're talking past one another is heart breaking. Loved it, and that they gave us that another glimpse at Jimmy before Saul.

What a show, and what a character. Part of me wishes there had been more spectacle, but it's a beautiful story altogether.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

iamsosmrt posted:

Yeah guys, remember, Jimmy had an offer of 30 years before his 7 year masterstroke and purposefully confessed to poo poo to bump it up to something he knew would get him put away for life, ending up at 86 years.

He had nothing left to live for except whatever love he still had for Kim. Jimmy intended to do his time. Gene's dead. Saul's dead. Jimmy is paying his dues.

I honestly think living the rest of his life in prison as Jimmy is probably a better fate then living on the run as Gene.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

regulargonzalez posted:

there was an entire episode devoted to how bored and unfulfilled she was with her new life. mundane conversations about whether kraft (or whatever) would work in lieu of duke's and her boyfriend twirling around in his recliner to talk to her. is she repentant for her actions? for sure. would she have come clean about what happened if saul hadn't contacted her? debatable, but maybe? does she love this sociopath enough to allow herself to be drawn back into his self-preserving bullshit even if his end goal is to just have her in his life again? apparently. that's what i took away from it.

i'm not writing my thesis on the ending. just my observations. chill out.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

ExtraQuiet posted:

couldn't help but notice the focus on the lantern which took him out. I assume this is the night chuck committed suicide?
jimmy makes it a point to say i'll see ya tomorrow, maybe even with the financial times!

its actually right before the show starts. thats what the financial times lines are about. uno was the first time jimmy was able to get the financial times again for chuck. by the time of the suicide jimmy wasnt being allowed in there and chuck was in a full on panic and tearing his walls apart.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Caros posted:

How are goons so bad at watching TV?

When youre watching stuff at home, you do get distracted by phone calls and people around you, might be eating, hungover, etc. I assume that. Also why I've noticed in Cine D how people who watch movies at home miss or don't "get" a lot more than at the theater.

I can forgive people missing "Skyler got away" because it's one line of dialogue that can be missed, and I actually had to watch that scene twice myself to make sure I caught everything because I think I had a long day before watching that episode.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ExtraQuiet posted:

jeffy still awaiting that cash bail

"his name was mayhew, he came into my office and tried to bribe me"
he tried to pin the whole thing on badger lmao

Walt came to Saul's office claiming to be Badger's uncle and tried to bribe Saul to get Badger to lie. That part was true and wasn't implicating Badger, but Walt.

That was definitely not the night Chuck killed himself. That was either right at or before the beginning of the series, when Jimmy is doing poo poo public defender work and trying to scrape by while also helping Chuck with his condition.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I can't believe Darth Vader was Saul's father this entire time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People miss stuff but the problem isn’t that it’s them going
“This episode was really bad because I can’t believe Kim threw her whole life away for selfish Jimmy who did it for himself”

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Rhea Seehorn better win all the awards for this season. Heart and soul of the show.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I honestly think living the rest of his life in prison as Jimmy is probably a better fate then living on the run as Gene.

I like this post

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 16, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It is. He's still baking poo poo and in a dumb, boring routine, but is now respected for who he is and had closure with the person he cared about the most.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Circling back to people thinking Jimmy was trying to "save" Kim: I think, in a way, he did save her, but not in a legal sense. Her purgatory in Titusville was a life dead set against making any impact on anyone. A bland and inoffensive job, a dullard boyfriend whose conversations are about how fit you have to be to get on the Amazing Race, inabilities to ever weigh in on anything. She felt that any impact she would make on anyone would be a negative and toxic one.

Her confession started to part that cloud, to the extent that she offered the help at the pro bono office. But Jimmy doing what he did, inspired by what she did, tells her that her actions can lead to justice being done and the hearts and minds of those around her going down better paths. So, in a sense, his sentence gives her the tentative green light to really try and piece her life back together (right as Cheryl is about to ruin her, which is also justified and Kim has no problems with as it is part of her repentance)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

ALFbrot posted:

The conversation, if you'd read back the context, was about somebody saying that they hated that Walt got to go out completely on his own terms and didn't face any consequences. I simply felt that spending most of a year in solitary confinement, a state regarded by many to be torture, and then having his son tell him to die so that the world can be a better place, and then dying in a nazi trailer park was not an especially heroic or cheery set of circumstances

Is New Hampshire that bad?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

It very much is framed that Jimmy decides to throw his deal when he learns that Kim can get sued into the ground.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Ague Proof posted:

Is New Hampshire that bad?
my man have you ever been to manch-vegas?

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
For as much of a circle jerk the Insider Podcast is, it’s worth it for the night of posts after an episode from people clearly not paying attention or on their phones reading too much into a little detail only to have the writers and or directors just explicitly say the opposite.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I never expected a callback to that slightly goofy slide or pedal steel music in the first episode would hit me hard, but it did.

Also: Bill, don't lean on people's seats inches away from their head, you goof

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sub Rosa posted:

It very much is framed that Jimmy decides to throw his deal when he learns that Kim can get sued into the ground.

Well yeah. He didn’t know she confessed to hamlin’s wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thread Reminder to cancel AMC+