Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
The only lunch I've eaten in 2022:

First, "stirfry" up a LOT of vegetables and tofu, like enough for several meals.

Now to make lunch, add to a bowl : a small portion of the vegetable mix, a pack of instant ramen, and a bit of peanut butter, soy sauce, sambal oelek and sesame oil. Top with boiling water.

I can't see myself getting tired of it!

edit : depression meal snipe, awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I think my biggest issue with vegan 'cheese' recipes is getting my hopes up, clicking, and then seeing nutritional yeast staring at me from the ingredient list. I sometimes think I'm the only vegan on the planet who thinks that stuff is vile.

What on earth.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I also think it’s gross!!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Colonel J posted:

The only lunch I've eaten in 2022:

My most common lunch is in a similar vein:
Put chopped veg in a bowl, add a tiny amount of water, cover with a bread plate, microwave until cooked. Push veg aside as much as possible; in the bottom-of-the-bowl water, mix gochujang, soybean paste, rice wine vinegar, soy milk and some kimchi juice if you have some excess. Add kimchi, shredded nori, and chopped dried shiitake if you remembered to soak them in boiling water 20 minutes ago. Top with boiling water.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

e:

"The page you are looking for no longer exists."
Is this the same recipe ?

Correct, that’s the same one. I like it because the texture works well, it grills well, and honestly you can toss whatever you want into it. Cracked peppercorns, gochugaru, liquid smoke, it all works.

I also regularly make my own camembert and brie, but that’s a months-long process. I’d eventually like to have a separate humidity-controlled fridge for that. I think I posted some of them here.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mango Polo posted:

I also regularly make my own camembert and brie, but that’s a months-long process. I’d eventually like to have a separate humidity-controlled fridge for that. I think I posted some of them here.
Indeed!

Mango Polo posted:

On the topic of cheese. I replaced my ancient fridge and I've been able to reliably make cultured and aged nut 'cheeses' again

Not something I crave or go out of my way to make too often, but it hits the nostalgia spot &t non-veg people who I served it to were wondering if I was cheating about being vegan.
And while I'm here/to wash the taste of fake cheese out of my mouth, here are some Balkan recipes and some Chinese recipes!

Potato salad
Sauerkraut phyllo rolls
Potatoes
Mushroom and leek phyllo rolls
Mashed white beans

Sichuan boiled tofu
Enoki mushrooms with garlic
Sour spicy cold noodles
Celtuce salad with scallion oil

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I also think it’s gross!!

I used to live the high life
Eatin' those fancy feasts
But the doctors found cholesterol
And now it's nutritional yeast

Oh i got the blues

(I didnt like nooch much at first but found i do enjoy it as a popcorn topping)

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 27, 2022

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I just realized human milk cheese would (or rather could) be vegan and would be a way for me to eat real brie again. I guess this is outside the scope of this thread though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
We're not going to do the legwork for you to acquire boob milk. That's on you & your local Craigslist posts to figure that out.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I'm sure I read before that human milk doesn't work for cheese for some reason. I looked it up and most of the references are to a chef called Daniel Angerer who made some for his restaurant.

He actually posted the recipe, but unfortunately it's 1:1 human:animal milk. So maybe it doesn't work on its own after all?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
How about not in this thread

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
If you're asking a woman for breast milk to make cheese, please seek help for your cheese addiction

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

In uder to be able to best mimic cow cheese you would probably want to get your jugs from a vegan too.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm sorry for this stupid derail. I couldn't think of a better place to post this, but it would have been best not to post.

For actual content, my SO has been growing radishes and we discovered that radish leaves make an amazing pesto. To me it's better than plain basil pesto, the taste is a lot sharper.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Those are thoughts you should not share with anyone.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Anyways I have been drinking a lot of smoothies for breakfast recently. What are everyone's favorite smoothie recipes?

I generally go with banana, dates, almond milk, ginger, spinach, and frozen berries.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I'm not generally a smoothie-enjoyer, but one of my favourite cafés does a "tropical smoothie" I really like, which is (primarily, at least) pineapple, coconut and mint. I think it's made on coconut milk (the thick kind in a tin, not the kind that's like soy or almond milk).

edit to avoid double posting:
I made reubens on the weekend and had some leftover rye bread (the most successful rye bread I've ever made, I think :D ), sauerkraut and fake cheese. Also just discovered that I have some fermented bean curd in the fridge that's nearing its use by date.
So: Toasted rye, fermented bean curd, the gochujang I hate (O'Food di-namite gochujang. 'Tis bad. Has a weird fake smokey flavour as though it's been mixed with cheap bbq sauce), sauerkraut, fake cheese. Under the grill until the cheese is as melted as this fake cheese will get.
Bloody hell ! 10/10. Absolutely recommend.

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 28, 2022

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Apparently this is coming out:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1615198539/

Dr. Sheil Shukla
Plant-Based India: Nourishing Recipes Rooted in Tradition

I'll definitely be scooping up this one. Guy's a fresh md out of Chicago, well known.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Buying an Indian cookbook is a big stretch for me because there are so many great Indian websites online where you can get this sort of thing for free. This recipe looks good for instance but it's trivial to find recipes like this online. E.g.:

http://gujarativangi.weebly.com/gujarati-vangi/vaghareli-dal-fried-dal
https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/gujarati-dal-recipe/
https://hebbarskitchen.com/gujarati-dal-recipe-gujarati-tuvar-dal/
https://www.archanaskitchen.com/gujarati-dal-sweet-tangy-and-spicy-lentil-curry
https://www.tarladalal.com/gujarati-dal--gujarati-recipe-612r
https://www.cookwithmanali.com/gujarati-dal/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Bonus video (only the first recipe + the rice and vegetable are vegan, although the pork dish can also be made vegan if you use something other than pork):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoiKtuuFy0A

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love smoothies because I lift and I get protein from da powder.

Gotta have some blueberries in there, leafy greens of course (spinach or kale), a banana (the backbone of any good smoothie), and then a tiny bit of either maple syrup or peanut butter. Then we enjoy all that delicious protein powder goodness :)

E: almond/coconut milk and water

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Dr. Sheil Shukla

I'll definitely be scooping up this one. Guy's a fresh md out of Chicago, well known.

I read the prerelease version on NetGalley, and the dude has solid recipes. Definitely would recommend.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I'm vegetarian but functionally vegan (because lactose intolerance lol) and just wanted to say this thread has been a huge help! I don't have a lot of money right now so having easy / no weird substitute meat ideas like smoothies and stir fries has been super useful.

Lately I've been on a kick of lightly cornmeal dusted okra baked at super high temps in a skillet as well as summer squash & peppers cooked similarly to make them crispy. Being southern and mainly veg can be hard, but it does mean people will give you random stuff from their gardens. :3:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Dr. Sheil Shukla

Exciting! Have to agree with the previous poster though where it’s tough to justify buying a book when there so many good free recipes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm having onion tomato and duxelles pasta sauce tonight baby, let's go.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Exciting! Have to agree with the previous poster though where it’s tough to justify buying a book when there so many good free recipes.

I didn't think I was old-school but I don't love printing recipes mid cooking or pulling poo poo up on my phone that went to sleep between ingredients, but I digress.

My wife is the better cook and she's excited, so just trying to share. I mean we have an entire bookshelf filled with pretty much everything possible. I feel like you can never have too many recipes I guess, even if we have go to recipes like colcannon and coleslaws this weekend ( we have an abundance of cabbage and potatoes this week).

Although a few books in the bookshelf are there just for the horror, like a 1950s Hadassah cookbook full of super nasty recipes.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Colonel J posted:

I'm sorry for this stupid derail. I couldn't think of a better place to post this, but it would have been best not to post.

For actual content, my SO has been growing radishes and we discovered that radish leaves make an amazing pesto. To me it's better than plain basil pesto, the taste is a lot sharper.

We have had a ton of carrots lately and I've found that the carrot tops also make a really nice, almost nutty-flavored green for things like pesto, chimichurri, gremolata, etc..

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I didn't think I was old-school but I don't love printing recipes mid cooking or pulling poo poo up on my phone that went to sleep between ingredients, but I digress.

My wife is the better cook and she's excited, so just trying to share. I mean we have an entire bookshelf filled with pretty much everything possible. I feel like you can never have too many recipes I guess, even if we have go to recipes like colcannon and coleslaws this weekend ( we have an abundance of cabbage and potatoes this week).

Although a few books in the bookshelf are there just for the horror, like a 1950s Hadassah cookbook full of super nasty recipes.

I didn’t mean to come off like I was judging you. I support your efforts and I appreciate you sharing the resource with the thread!

Having a book recipe with the physical book is 100% more pleasing to do squint at phones or whatever. But not enough to make me pay for the book lol

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I feel like making dumpling wrappers, any good filling ideas? I can't eat onions, but garlic is tentatively ok.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 3, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What’s your dumpling wrapper recipe and process ?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I was honestly gonna just google for a recipe, seems to be just flour and water. Gyoza look good too though. We have a bamboo steamer and will probably steam over cabbage leaves.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegetable-gyoza
https://healthynibblesandbits.com/how-to-make-dumpling-wrappers/ < Probably gonna go with this one.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Nettle Soup posted:

I feel like making dumpling wrappers, any good filling ideas? I can't eat onions, but garlic is tentatively ok.

My go to is cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, ginger and garlic, sautéed (and cornstarch if I remember to add it). Sometimes crushed peanuts for some interesting texture. Any other flavourings I want I'll just add to the dipping sauce.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
A few glass noodles in the mix also give veggie dumplings a nice chewiness that they can sometimes lack.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Yes, that. Reconstituted dried shiitake has a similar effect.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Finally getting back into meal prepping after a combination of issues led to me eating basically nothing but packaged goods for a fair bit. Recipe found here.

That's the only dish I made this week that I either haven't posted before, or doesn't include meat replacements.

ETA: Also just finished a Depression cake

Once it's cool, I'm gonna hit it with some powdered sugar.

Revenge of the edit:

I also made peach jam. Four jars, one to use right away, three canned to last.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 14, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I ate plants today - broccoli and tomatoes 😎

I am going to a friends pizza making party. What are some of your fave vegan toppings / approaches?

The usual stuff is covered like onions and tomatoes, thinking I’ll just have a pizza sans the cheese. Don’t think I wanna do the fake cheese stuff.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Olives & mushrooms are my favorite pizza toppings.

As for replacing the cheese, maybe use vegan pesto that substitutes the Parmesan with nutritional yeast then slice tomatoes instead of using a classic red sauce.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
From Kenji's recipe: mashed potatoes, thin potato slices and thin onion slices. No sauce or "cheese".

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Pizza ideas:

Sliced + Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes, Onion, Rosemary

Zucchini, Red Onion, Squash, Thyme, Pistachios

Caramelized onions, can of crushed tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, olives, basil, panko bread crumbs

Roasted red peppers, olives

Tomatoes, basil, olive oil

Asparagus, red potato, pesto

Zucchini, onions, kalamata olives, pine nuts, pesto, basil

Zucchini, red onions, cherry tomatoes, parsley

Pine nuts, eggplant, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, parsley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Vegan pesto on the base, caramelised onions, roasted pumpkin, toasted pine nuts, baby spinach and/or rocket, drizzle of garlicky tahini sauce (or garlic + vegan mayo, garlic + yoghourt, etc.).

Hummus or mashed pumpkin on the base, maple syrup roasted brussels sprouts, caramelised onions, good squeeze of lemon juice.