Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
Europe had plenty of consumer facing tech companies during first dotcom boom, but as bubble collapsed and lots of European old money got burned, they became extremely way of investing in tech again.

It is quite hard to raise venture capital in Europe compared to US, plus you simply have more financial and legal infrastructure for setting up companies. So when US-based investors fund European startups, first thing they do is to set up Delaware LLC. And when it is time to go public, NASDAQ and NYSE are obvious choices since you have HQ in US already.

Things got bit better in recent years, but these days lots of bleeding edge software stuff is still US big tech taking advantage of comparatively lower European salaries or local startups they acquired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i have been assured that lithuania is the new california

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

i say swears online posted:

i have been assured that lithuania is the new california

Serioustalk it's maybe Nebraska, maybe, except with half the amount of nature at best and everybody being a depressed eastern euro.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Stubb Dogg posted:

Europe had plenty of consumer facing tech companies during first dotcom boom, but as bubble collapsed and lots of European old money got burned, they became extremely way of investing in tech again.

It is quite hard to raise venture capital in Europe compared to US, plus you simply have more financial and legal infrastructure for setting up companies. So when US-based investors fund European startups, first thing they do is to set up Delaware LLC. And when it is time to go public, NASDAQ and NYSE are obvious choices since you have HQ in US already.

Things got bit better in recent years, but these days lots of bleeding edge software stuff is still US big tech taking advantage of comparatively lower European salaries or local startups they acquired.

Luxembourg is still a classic for incorporating tech startups that have at least a couple of rounds of funding but don't want the regulatory stigma of being headquartered in the US(I think that being incorporated in the US blocks access to POSR FESR funding and other regional tricks)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Private Speech posted:

Serioustalk it's maybe Nebraska, maybe, except with half the amount of nature at best and everybody being a depressed eastern euro.

You overestimate the kind of nature present in Nebraska.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the only man-made forest in the US!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1559174350858764289

Maybe Europe can avoid the worst blackouts by driving global LNG prices into the stratosphere. Pity the poor developing countries that were relying on LNG imports though.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Thats something that doesn't seem to have gotten any media traction yet. The EU is rich enough to comfortably outbid pretty much every other LNG importer on the planet bar Japan/Taiwan/South Korea. And as more and more LNG facilities come online here thats going to happen.

If theres a real crunch this winter the EU countries won't be the ones suffering most, its going to the the poorer countries being completely starved of LNG.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.eu/article/poland-central-bank-adam-glapinski-germany-design-poland-territory/

quote:

Germany is aiming "for the recovery in some form of their former lands, which are now within Poland's borders, and the subjugation of this entire belt of countries between Germany and Russia," said Glapiński, referring to the territorial settlement after World War II that saw some eastern German territories handed over to Poland. The border shift has long been accepted by German governments.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It has never made sense to ship LNG halfway across the world in an Australia to Europe route.

Until now.

https://twitter.com/SStapczynski/status/1559552373944889346

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hahaha holy loving history is revolving.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

To be fair it took forever for the DDR government to accept it, even under pressure from the soviets. It was only really settled around 20 years ago or so.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Is that normal PiS insanity, or are they afraid they will lose the next election so they fling baseless accusations against Tusk?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They could guarantee winning the next election if they gave away some of the places least likely to vote for them to someone else.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Guavanaut posted:

They could guarantee winning the next election if they gave away some of the places least likely to vote for them to someone else.

Wow, you can easily see the former German border in this map.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Torrannor posted:

It actually has to do with the wild boar population

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Split Germany up again, give western Poland to East Germany and rename it Sorbia.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

mobby_6kl posted:

It actually has to do with the wild boar population

Rural voters suck, urbanisation is civilisation

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Why didn't you invest in eastern Poland

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

suck my woke dick posted:

Rural voters suck, urbanisation is civilisation

Truth.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i guess i never made the obvious connection that the former prussian areas of western poland would be mostly rural homesteads with few cities. real 'duh' moment

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Torrannor posted:

A lot of maps will show the old partitions, some much more obviously connected (like railway density).

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1560657874895794183

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, Drax burns old growth American forests as pellets. Because it was the cheapest way to shut Kellingley colliery and make the plant 'carbon neutral' on paper.

It could have been replaced with a mass nuclear baseload program instead, but that was panned as unrealistic, it wouldn't have even come online until some time in the distant future.

https://twitter.com/mlanetrain/status/1556381583585804291

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, Drax burns old growth American forests as pellets. Because it was the cheapest way to shut Kellingley colliery and make the plant 'carbon neutral' on paper.

It could have been replaced with a mass nuclear baseload program instead, but that was panned as unrealistic, it wouldn't have even come online until some time in the distant future.

https://twitter.com/mlanetrain/status/1556381583585804291

:clegg:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Someone recently said to me, "You say you want nuclear energy, but do you want to live next to a nuclear power plant? HUH!? HUUUUH!"

And then when I said yes they said they couldn't have a normal discussion about this topic with me.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

An insane mind posted:

Someone recently said to me, "You say you want nuclear energy, but do you want to live next to a nuclear power plant? HUH!? HUUUUH!"

And then when I said yes they said they couldn't have a normal discussion about this topic with me.

Username/post combo. But this hits on a real issue, there is a significant contingent of folks who think that anyone not deathly afraid of nuclear power is an idiot at best, insane at worst. What about Wormwood, what about Fukushima? How does one convince people who think the Simpsons are a good briefer on nuclear technology to consider their position differently?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Username/post combo. But this hits on a real issue, there is a significant contingent of folks who think that anyone not deathly afraid of nuclear power is an idiot at best, insane at worst. What about Wormwood, what about Fukushima? How does one convince people who think the Simpsons are a good briefer on nuclear technology to consider their position differently?

if statistics don't work then it may not be worth your time

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sure, but those people have a vote too, that is the issue!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe all the coal ash will eventually lower life expectancy to below voting age

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Point out that it's safer than living next to a coal power plant. Or an old lamp. Or a big bunch of bananas.

e: Also point out that the vast majority of the Fukushima deaths were caused by the unnecessary relocations, not the reactor failure, so nuclear fear kills more people than nuclear power.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I have almost given up pointing out that nuclear power is not just efficient but safe I've had people call me a corporate shill that just wants to take away jobs when all I'm saying is that nuclear power is a good green alternative. And I don't even know what they mean by loving corporate shill.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

An insane mind posted:

I have almost given up pointing out that nuclear power is not just efficient but safe I've had people call me a corporate shill that just wants to take away jobs when all I'm saying is that nuclear power is a good green alternative. And I don't even know what they mean by loving corporate shill.
Shilling for Big Nuke.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I just wish we had a solution for nuclear waste that didn't involve "bury it and hope for the best" or "stockpile it in the hope we can clean it some day".

Both aren't really solutions, just problems for someone else to solve.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I just wish we had a solution for nuclear waste that didn't involve "bury it and hope for the best" or "stockpile it in the hope we can clean it some day".

Both aren't really solutions, just problems for someone else to solve.

The problem of nuclear waste is massively overstated and is a political problem more than anything else (it can be buried and this isn't some big scary thing, you just really want someplace for it as local on-site storage isn't gonna hold forever, even though it actually can do so for quite a while), especially given that the amount of waste produced is in fact really small compared to the power generated. The long-lived waste, most notably plutonium, can in fact be used as reactor fuel in both some existing and some proposed reactor designs, though I think would have to be treated and sorted first before it could be of any use, so it might be more expensive than it's deemed worth.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 20, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Randarkman posted:

The problem of nuclear waste is massively overstated and is a political problem more than anything else (it can be buried and this isn't some big scary thing, you just really want someplace for it as local on-site storage isn't gonna hold forever, even though it actually can do so for quite a while), especially given that the amount of waste produced is in fact really small compared to the power generated. The long-lived waste, most notably plutonium, can in fact be used as reactor fuel in both some existing and some proposed reactor designs, though I think would have to be treated and sorted first before it could be of any use, so it might be more expensive than it's deemed worth.
If nuclear is meant to be the only electrical grid source that consists of big hunks of spinning metal to soak up load spikes and dips (which is the only way we can meaningfully regulate the electric grid, as renewable energy sources aren't capable of doing that), it's gonna require a substantial increase in the number of nuclear power plants - all of which will generate their own waste that we can only stockpile or bury and hope for the best.

Sure, there's both theoretical and existing ways to use all of the nuclear waste material, but none of them scale to any meaningful degree, and they're not exactly without (solvable) engineering and logistical complications of their own.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If nuclear is meant to be the only electrical grid source that consists of big hunks of spinning metal to soak up load spikes and dips (which is the only way we can meaningfully regulate the electric grid, as renewable energy sources aren't capable of doing that), it's gonna require a substantial increase in the number of nuclear power plants - all of which will generate their own waste that we can only stockpile or bury and hope for the best.

Yeah, maybe stop it with that "bury and hope for the best" spiel. Because it's part of the whole thing of blowing the issue out of proportions and scare-mongering about radiation as some kind of magical insurmountable health hazard. Burying it is a good solution if you don't want to try to repurpose it. It's not just hoping for the best against a force we are powerless against.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

An insane mind posted:

There's a certain continent that have co-opted the climate agenda but their actual motivation is opposition to our economic system generally and industrialism and urbanism specifically. The ideological core are types that are opposed to large scale wind/solar projects but advocate for small local democratic renewables on smallholder plots in a sort of pseudo-primitivist agrarianism. Smash the system so we are free to live on a hobby farm in harmony with nature but also we still have electricity, electronics, cars etc.

It's a fringe movement obviously but I think some opposition to nuclear manifests from that mindset as an indefinable queasy feeling that it is just somehow wrong.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Owling Howl posted:

There's a certain continent that have co-opted the climate agenda but their actual motivation is opposition to our economic system generally and industrialism and urbanism specifically.
Painting Antarctica with an awfully broad brush there, mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

Painting Antarctica with an awfully broad brush there, mate.

I thought that was a poster from asia talking about europe

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 20, 2022