Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for the replies a while ago everyone, they were very informative, and I'm very happy with the new setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

meefistopheles posted:

Thanks for the replies a while ago everyone, they were very informative, and I'm very happy with the new setup.

A well functioning NAS is a small happiness.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sometimes I hate enterprise hardware.

Oh, you dare put a third party hard drive (that's identical to the certified ones we sell for a 5x markup) in our server? 11000 rpm fan speeds forever as a punishment. That IPMI command to knock the fan speeds back down that we've sometimes mentioned? Naah, we locked those out in a firmware update.

Next time I'm buying supermicro, preferred suppliers be damned.

(Dell R550.)

E: Ah yes, the same goes for adding a third party PCIe card - they even have a specific guide on how to disable their paranoid/punishing cooling algorithm for those that doesn't work on the newest generation.
E2: Ah, the racadm command to disable the PCIe fan speed thing still works. Shame about the drives, but I think I can move enough non-Dell drives to the external DAS.
E3: Nevermind, with the PCIe cards calmed down the minimun fan speed with third party drives jumps to 36% for a bit but then falls down to 13% again on its own. Huh.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 10, 2022

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Smashing Link posted:

A well functioning NAS is a small happiness.

Mine's paying off already. I only got set up a few weeks ago, and yesterday I opened a thing I was working on, and realised I'd deleted the stairs. Synology Drive > versions > find version before accidental stair deletion > re-import. Woo!

E: this is hourly backup to the NAS using Synology drive, and nightly uploads to iDrive. Much more reliable than "whenever I remember to plug Time Machine in"

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 10, 2022

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Computer viking posted:

Sometimes I hate enterprise hardware.

Oh, you dare put a third party hard drive (that's identical to the certified ones we sell for a 5x markup) in our server? 11000 rpm fan speeds forever as a punishment. That IPMI command to knock the fan speeds back down that we've sometimes mentioned? Naah, we locked those out in a firmware update.

Next time I'm buying supermicro, preferred suppliers be damned.

(Dell R550.)

E: Ah yes, the same goes for adding a third party PCIe card - they even have a specific guide on how to disable their paranoid/punishing cooling algorithm for those that doesn't work on the newest generation.
E2: Ah, the racadm command to disable the PCIe fan speed thing still works. Shame about the drives, but I think I can move enough non-Dell drives to the external DAS.
E3: Nevermind, with the PCIe cards calmed down the minimun fan speed with third party drives jumps to 36% for a bit but then falls down to 13% again on its own. Huh.

Somewhat ironically adding a second eBay CPU and filling out all the fan slots on an R740xd actually made the drat thing quieter overall. Either way don't buy Dell servers for home is my advice now.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Aware posted:

Somewhat ironically adding a second eBay CPU and filling out all the fan slots on an R740xd actually made the drat thing quieter overall. Either way don't buy Dell servers for home is my advice now.

It's actually at work, but yeah, same thing applies. If I had a dedicated server room and the budget to pay for an all-Dell setup, I'm sure it'd be a great piece of kit. That said, I don't really have a lot of great alternatives; HPE are worse, and I'm very limited in suppliers. They have a couple of Lenovo and Fujitsu servers that don't really work for my purpose, and one or two annoyingly outdated supermicro parts. I can order anything from Dell, though, so ... R550 + MD1400 it is.

And yeah I fully believe you; the fan speed algorithms on these machines seem to be mostly magic.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Connecting the second PSU if you have one installed to power also reduces the overall noise from the PSUs generally.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I did think about that, yeah - though disconnecting one didn't seem to change anything. As of right now the MD1400 box is noisier, which I guess is good enough.

As for the MD1400, if you should ever need to deal with one: the SAS connector units at the back have debug USB mini ports (in 2022). If you plug it into a PC, they present as USB serial adapters - with two ports, though only one seems to do anything. Connect at 115200 baud, and you get a console asking for a password. Dell does not give that password out, but there is exactly one reddit post and zero other pages that have the right one. In the interest of doubling that count, its "bluemoon".

You can then use the help command - it accepts the same commands as the earlier MD1xxx boxes did over serial, including "shutup 20 0" to set fan 0 to 20%. Any lower and it tends to go back up to 50% on its own shortly afterwards. There are two fans - one in each PSU - numbered 0 and 1.

As far as I can tell it does not matter which of the two SAS units you connect the USB cable to.

Beware, though - it looks like there's some foot-pointing guns scattered around in there.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 11, 2022

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

CopperHound posted:

Plex stores metadata in approximately 1 million folders and files, so if you have that running off a slow drive or a filesystem that doesn't like it, it does tend to choke up a bit.

Plex these days uses an sqlite database for metadata, I know because I've had to manually edit entries in there before.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

corgski posted:

Plex these days uses an sqlite database for metadata, I know because I've had to manually edit entries in there before.

Not for video preview thumbnails. That's still a million files in a million folders.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Ah, I didn't know because I have that poo poo turned off.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Is it true that enabling things like thumbnails for Plex libraries causes the size of the metadata to explode in size? I've currently got thumbnails disabled in my ~8 TB library and my metadata is ~15 GB, but I've heard of people with metadata folders in the hundreds of GB.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is it true that enabling things like thumbnails for Plex libraries causes the size of the metadata to explode in size? I've currently got thumbnails disabled in my ~8 TB library and my metadata is ~15 GB, but I've heard of people with metadata folders in the hundreds of GB.

A thumbnail image is made for every 2 seconds of video apparently, so yes.

Though I don't get what they're storing that eats multiple gigabytes for metadata even with thumbnails etc off. They must be doing something like grabbing every possible cover picture and subtitle file, in every language / region they exist for, and saving everything locally. That way a user can switch languages on a client to instantly watch Seinfeld with subtitles in hindi or whatever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, of course it will. You're making thumbnails for all your stuff.

30 or 40 TB of stuff, 50k items:

root@dylnas02:/mnt/Data3/plex # du -h -s plexdata
287G plexdata
root@dylnas02:/mnt/Data3/plex # find plexdata -type f | wc -l

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I'm building a new computer and I wanted to consolidate JBOD 4 x 2GB WD Blacks onto 1 or 2 drives and was looking at the WD Blues. Did WD pretty much stop doing CMR for Blue drives ? Blue 4TB CMR (WD40EZRZ) is $100 on WDs site while the SMR version (WD40EZAZ) is $65. 8TB Blue (WD80EAZZ) is CMR for whatever reason and is $130 so I'd be getting a better deal just getting that instead of 2 x 4TBs IMO. I've never used a SMR drive so I have no idea how much of a performance difference SMR is over CMR.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anything from Western Digital that's not Red Pro or their enterprise drives, or is 6TB or less, is at risk of being SMR.

SMR drives can be used for WORM, but not part of some RAID arrays (particularly ZFS, but not exclusively so) because the thing SMR drives really suck at is random I/O and that's the I/O that is most common during a rebuild/resilver.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 14, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MREBoy posted:

I'm building a new computer and I wanted to consolidate JBOD 4 x 2GB WD Blacks onto 1 or 2 drives and was looking at the WD Blues. Did WD pretty much stop doing CMR for Blue drives ?

Yes. If you buy external drives and shuck them, they are CMR at the high drive sizes

MREBoy posted:

I've never used a SMR drive so I have no idea how much of a performance difference SMR is over CMR.

The thing that makes SMR suck is that if you write a tiny 4KB file, the drive might have to re-write 1000 times more data to deal with the shingled zone. For media storage it's fine. First, you tend to write data and then leave it alone. Second, you tend to write large files rather than lots of tiny ones.

The exception is that in many types of RAID, data will naturally be broken up into smaller chunks. So SMR drives have a bad rep in the NAS area. (Simple mirrors are fine though.)

Another possible exception is torrenting, because there are clients that don't pre-allocate space and try to write all data as fast as it's arriving in lots of tiny blobs. I think most clients have improved this, but if you're doing tons of torrents on a gigabit fiber connection it still might be bad.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The usual solution for torrents is to have faster drives for the downloading, extraction, and post-processing and to transfer to larger bulk storage after the download is completed. It's not the worst use for old SSDs if you ask me.

ZFS in particular is pretty rear end for torrent downloads even without SMR involved because of its copy-on-write nature but I believe newer ZFS versions are better about these kinds of frequent random write scenarios especially given databases and other high throughput use cases kind of want to do better with this algorithm as well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SSD for downloading, HDD for seeding :v:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Team usenet!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Thumbnails are well worth the space they take up for proper timeline scrubbing :colbert:

My Plex library is 400 GB.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Another possible exception is torrenting, because there are clients that don't pre-allocate space and try to write all data as fast as it's arriving in lots of tiny blobs. I think most clients have improved this, but if you're doing tons of torrents on a gigabit fiber connection it still might be bad.
Pre-allocation also doesn't work on any filesystem that's copy-on-write like ZFS, where you're better off forcing all synchronous writes to be disabled on a temporary dataset, and then set your client to put temporary files there until they're finished downloading.

necrobobsledder posted:

The usual solution for torrents is to have faster drives for the downloading, extraction, and post-processing and to transfer to larger bulk storage after the download is completed. It's not the worst use for old SSDs if you ask me.

ZFS in particular is pretty rear end for torrent downloads even without SMR involved because of its copy-on-write nature but I believe newer ZFS versions are better about these kinds of frequent random write scenarios especially given databases and other high throughput use cases kind of want to do better with this algorithm as well.
Even old SSDs are better used for other things than torrenting, which can be done on a temporary dataset as mentioned above; if you got two old SSDs, you should partition them to the right size for the pool and use them as a mirrored vdev for a log device in ZFS.

Gay Retard posted:

Thumbnails are well worth the space they take up for proper timeline scrubbing :colbert:

If scrubbing a video has to rely on thumbnails to be good, oppotunistic prefetching on your storage stack is either turned off or not functioning properly.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I currently have transmission and sab dumping downloads to a folder on my system dataset, which is just 2 old 500gb blues in a mirror, while media and application data is on the main pool (4 drive RAID-Z1) - partly because I didn't want torrents interfering with media streaming or applications, but mostly because if I put it on the big array I'd forget to clean it out regularly, wheras this way TrueNAS yells at me when it gets above about 300gb.

I only have about a 130mbit connection, but would the combination of ZFS and the relatively slow storage be slowing things down? I do get slightly better throughput from steam on my desktop I suppose..

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

I currently have transmission and sab dumping downloads to a folder on my system dataset, which is just 2 old 500gb blues in a mirror, while media and application data is on the main pool (4 drive RAID-Z1) - partly because I didn't want torrents interfering with media streaming or applications, but mostly because if I put it on the big array I'd forget to clean it out regularly, wheras this way TrueNAS yells at me when it gets above about 300gb.

I only have about a 130mbit connection, but would the combination of ZFS and the relatively slow storage be slowing things down? I do get slightly better throughput from steam on my desktop I suppose..
You can use zpool iostat -vylqP 1 to get a verbose printout of operations, active queue, and average latency every second for the full paths to each device - this should tell you if you're approaching the IOPS limits of the disks.
You should hopefully know that limit from having run diskinfo -cit on the device at some point -so you have a rough idea which of your devices is the slowest, as that's what dictates the speed of any striped array with distributed parity.

So long as you have IOPS to spare, your storage stack isn't really a factor.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I guess you could also use gstat - if the queue lengths start climbing above 1, you are probably bottlenecked by the disks?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If scrubbing a video has to rely on thumbnails to be good, oppotunistic prefetching on your storage stack is either turned off or not functioning properly.

Plex is solving for the case of people storing their videos at home and accessing them via internet where they maybe have a low bandwidth upload. You can't prefetch a whole movie, and bandwidth & latency makes scanning for keyframes (which is what a good local player like MPC-HC can do) not feasible. Plex could do dynamic thumbnails by scanning for keyframes itself, but that would mean a plex server had much higher system requirements to enable thumbnails.

This is how youtube does it:

That's 100kb for 25 thumbnails. (The original webp was ~100kb, I had to make it jpg for imgur.) This is a pretty efficient way to do thumbnails for streaming.

The problem with plex is 2 seconds is stupidly low. Like, many modern video formats put their keyframes further apart than that. So you can't even seek with that granularity under conditions like streaming or re-encoding. Also I'm sure they're making the preview resolution higher res than it really needs to be, but if they had 5 second intervals that would be fine.

(Also I don't know if plex is doing the same tiled palette thing, if they aren't they are super dumb.)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Gay Retard posted:

I haven't ever thought about thumbnails before and my library is 20TB, so after reading this last night I checked and apparently with them disabled my Plex directory was around 10GB. I enabled thumbnails and today my Plex directory is 20GB - I assume it's done already, although I don't really see any way to tell the status. It shouldn't really matter unless it gets a lot larger though since the system drive has 350GB of free space.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

I haven't ever thought about thumbnails before and my library is 20TB, so after reading this last night I checked and apparently with them disabled my Plex directory was around 10GB. I enabled thumbnails and today my Plex directory is 20GB - I assume it's done already,
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have a long ways before your thumbnails are done being generated.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/202197528-video-preview-thumbnails/ posted:

A typical index will be 10-50MB in size for a single library item (mostly depending on video duration).

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Oh, interesting. I saw that the total had stopped increasing this morning but I set it to run as a scheduled task and that's another thing I've never checked before, so I guess it's just stopped during the day.

I have around 17,500 files in total. Most are an hour or less, so if I assume 20MB each that would put me at the entire remaining capacity of the system disk. I don't exactly want that but I don't have another use for it at the moment and I am curious, so I guess I'll let it run for a few nights and see what happens.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 15, 2022

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'm finally sick of getting nickel and dimed now that cloud storage has moved to SaaS, so I've decided to rebuild a home server. I want to check with the NAS people first before I do, though.

In the past, I would place 4 of the largest drives I could afford into 2 RAID 1s. Bad experiences with other RAID types kept me from experimenting. The other primary role of the server was to run Windows and then host several Linux VMs for various learning projects.

Now I'm thinking the way to go would be to build a decent computer (i5-12000 series, 32GB of RAM, and a 1TB SSD, maybe?) and then get a decent NAS. What are everyone's thoughts?

edit: I'm looking for around 10TB of redundant storage to start, possibly with expansion potential.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 16, 2022

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Do all consumer 2.5gbit NICs suck? We have two intel i225 cards in different machines, and both have a coin toss chance of just not working on any given boot. The realtek rtl8125 on my motherboard just doesn't work at all, which seems to be a common problem across multiple motherboard manufacturers who use it. I see the embedded intel i225 on the Mikrotik router I'm waiting for has a dedicated forum thread about its issues, too.

I happen to have a 2.5gbit switch, so I optimistically thought that the NIC side should be a solved issue by now, but it seems kind of dire.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The world is trying to tell you to just go with 10gbe :sun:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Do all consumer 2.5gbit NICs suck? We have two intel i225 cards in different machines, and both have a coin toss chance of just not working on any given boot. The realtek rtl8125 on my motherboard just doesn't work at all, which seems to be a common problem across multiple motherboard manufacturers who use it. I see the embedded intel i225 on the Mikrotik router I'm waiting for has a dedicated forum thread about its issues, too.

I happen to have a 2.5gbit switch, so I optimistically thought that the NIC side should be a solved issue by now, but it seems kind of dire.
2.5G is a bad stopgap solution for people who have RJ45 already embedded inside wells, and can't easily replace it with fiber.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm finally sick of getting nickel and dimed now that cloud storage has moved to SaaS, so I've decided to rebuild a home server. I want to check with the NAS people first before I do, though.

In the past, I would place 4 of the largest drives I could afford into 2 RAID 1s. Bad experiences with other RAID types kept me from experimenting. The other primary role of the server was to run Windows and then host several Linux VMs for various learning projects.

Now I'm thinking the way to go would be to build a decent computer (i5-12000 series, 32GB of RAM, and a 1TB SSD, maybe?) and then get a decent NAS. What are everyone's thoughts?

edit: I'm looking for around 10TB of redundant storage to start, possibly with expansion potential.
Striped mirrors are a way of increasing the IOPS in a RAID array, because spinning rust has a physical upper limit on how many IOPS it is capable of providing - but beyond that, striped mirrors also have a failure mode that striped data with distributed parity doesn't, which is that it can lose data if two specific disks die, whereas raid6/raidz2 will at least let you replace one of the failed drives without faulting the array, unless an URE occurs when there's no data availability.

Those last two words are important, by the way - because data availability is what RAID is for, whereas redundancy when it comes to storage is usually something that comes about in the datapath itself (from using SAS Multipathing with dual controllers for each disk, all the way up to having active-active high-availability systems).

Wibla posted:

The world is trying to tell you to just go with 10gbe :sun:
And by 10GbE you mean using SFP+, not RJ45, hopefully?

RJ45 10GbE takes an absolutely dumb amount of power.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 16, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

And by 10GbE you mean using SFP+, not RJ45, hopefully?

RJ45 10GbE takes an absolutely dumb amount of power.

Using SFP+, yes. Like god intended.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Probably not the best thread to ask, but in trying to find some parts for my build, amazon uk says "Temporarily out of stock. We are working hard to be back in stock. Place your order and we’ll email you when we have an estimated delivery date. ". Does that mean they'll eventually get stock again, or is this some generic placeholder? I found it on US amazon but its being sold by a sketchy seller :smith:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

2.5G is a bad stopgap solution for people who have RJ45 already embedded inside wells, and can't easily replace it with fiber.

Sure, but I would have expected the problems to be "it's hard to get full speed over most cabling" or "it uses too much power", not "the hardware, firmware and drivers all seems to have been made by the less competent interns".

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Probably not the best thread to ask, but in trying to find some parts for my build, amazon uk says "Temporarily out of stock. We are working hard to be back in stock. Place your order and we’ll email you when we have an estimated delivery date. ". Does that mean they'll eventually get stock again, or is this some generic placeholder? I found it on US amazon but its being sold by a sketchy seller :smith:

Maybe, but that's also what is shown on stuff that's been out of stock for months/years.
What parts? There's probably a different place to get them from, or an alternative part.

Amazon is usually the last place I go for computer parts, I find more shady sellers and ratings shenanigans than on eBay.

It might be worth putting your email in if you have no other options I guess, but even if they do contact you it, it says "estimated"

Computer viking posted:

I've got the exact same nic and it's been totally fine. It's in Dell G15 Ryzen laptop, had it for about 6 months, windows 11.
I know this doesn't really help you, just thought I'd mention it

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 16, 2022

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The realtek or the intel?

Either way, I guess that is promising - it proves it's possible to make it work well.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Oh, yeah sorry, I mean the RLT one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The intel i225 in particular was hosed up in hardware, and did not totally fixed until v3 of the silicon.
https://pics.computerbase.de/9/2/6/8/3/1-1080.e640ef9c.jpg