Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Strong "Alien attempting to comprehend Hu-Man culture" vibes in the thread today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

This was pretty much Zizek's take on the movie.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

bedpan posted:

what people forget in this story is that silphium was also a really tasty spice and was used in a bunch of chicken dishes

Silphium makes cock more palatable.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

is pepsi ok posted:

This was pretty much Zizek's take on the movie.

I was thinking about this a lot recently.

the superego injunction is the blind following of a moral logic to its extremes which will always result in more guilt, you can never get ahead of superego by fulfilling what it asks

The real training in Full Metal Jacket was to show the soldiers the ironic distance needed to actually be a trained killer who follows all orders. They need to perform without getting caught up in the war as an authentic act. That's why the insanely strict drill seargent has the vulgar marching chants and the extremely choreographed "this is my rifle, this is my gun" scene. And the final Mickey Mouse chant after killing a child soldier who was defending her homeland. Joker was a perfect soldier, the exact outcome the US military hoped for.

Like asking a vegan to euthanize your pet "because if you are really concerned about animal suffering, here is your chance to do something". Private Pyle believed too much in the big other, and that's what you get.

I think the movie is absolutely showing Joker as an impotent agent of an imperialist war who is trained precisely to "have fun". I don't know how else to read it honestly

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yawn.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

If you ask like my dad what that movie was about he would say "Joker had a hard time in the army"

there's the premise and then there's what makes it work

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

One was very effective.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
My take away from that movie when I saw it for the first time at like 18 was that if I'm ever drafted against my will, i'm gonna frag an officer. mostly cause i never ended up seeing the second half until a year or two later

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Antonymous posted:

I was thinking about this a lot recently.

the superego injunction is the blind following of a moral logic to its extremes which will always result in more guilt, you can never get ahead of superego by fulfilling what it asks

The real training in Full Metal Jacket was to show the soldiers the ironic distance needed to actually be a trained killer who follows all orders. They need to perform without getting caught up in the war as an authentic act. That's why the insanely strict drill seargent has the vulgar marching chants and the extremely choreographed "this is my rifle, this is my gun" scene. And the final Mickey Mouse chant after killing a child soldier who was defending her homeland. Joker was a perfect soldier, the exact outcome the US military hoped for.

Like asking a vegan to euthanize your pet "because if you are really concerned about animal suffering, here is your chance to do something". Private Pyle believed too much in the big other, and that's what you get.

I think the movie is absolutely showing Joker as an impotent agent of an imperialist war who is trained precisely to "have fun". I don't know how else to read it honestly

It’s funny that he’s called Joker and, now, that’s the name of our most popular villain. Probably something there.

Adam Curtis talks about the emergent theater of politics, an arguable extension of Kissinger’s “delicate balance of power,” and how it reduces most into the same state of infinite-jest detachment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOY4Ka-GBus

It’s wild to pull the very same psychological profile in Full Metal Jacket and apply it to modern American mass shooters and reactionary terrorists.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Large Testicles posted:

My take away from that movie when I saw it for the first time at like 18 was that if I'm ever drafted against my will, i'm gonna frag an officer. mostly cause i never ended up seeing the second half until a year or two later

At some point in Vietnam they stopped issuing grenades to the grunts cause their primary use had become "killing your CO and probably getting away with it"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

At some point in Vietnam they stopped issuing grenades to the grunts cause their primary use had become "killing your CO and probably getting away with it"

:911:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the first time i saw FMJ it was on an overnight transatlantic flight when i was 14, alone. scared the absolute poo poo out of me, and made me want to check out kubrick's other work. strangelove was really formative for me soon after

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

i say swears online posted:

the first time i saw FMJ it was on an overnight transatlantic flight when i was 14, alone. scared the absolute poo poo out of me, and made me want to check out kubrick's other work. strangelove was really formative for me soon after

so that's what happened to you

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i've never seen fmj

fma is much better

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
fuh muh ahh

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

i've never seen fmj

fma is much better

I’ve never seen fma but fmj is actually better

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

I've only seen part of each, I'm guessing it makes sense when you go through it all in order.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve never seen fma but fmj is actually better

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Killer robot posted:

I've only seen part of each, I'm guessing it makes sense when you go through it all in order.

FMA is a WW2 era prequel. Start there.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

If you don't already know what this guy looks like, take a moment to think it up in your head, and then enjoy the actual truth, because he's got a great headshot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It’s like you asked one of those archælogical reconstruction artists to work on this.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Eh I don't have room for another one.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

If you don't already know what this guy looks like, take a moment to think it up in your head, and then enjoy the actual truth, because he's got a great headshot:

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 09:50 on Aug 16, 2022

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Killer robot posted:

spoiler warning don't mouseover:

Parts 2 and 3 are the dying hallucinations of the child sniper from part 1

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/pollyjhemming/status/1559377223202885633

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Doing more to save the environment than any other industry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I nominate Genghis Khan for a lifetime achievement award.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I mean, killing everyone via extreme weather events and creating an environment inhospitable to growing tobacco does seem anathema to the group's goals of killing people themselves

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

British American Tobacco, a very ordinarily named Australian firm.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1558912098251509760?s=20&t=N_YlKtyQuGyJO1aAz4P-rQ

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Americans seem to care most about religion in the western world and they always have the most awful churches.

I'm not religious but I sometimes go to a local stone church to read because it's a beautiful place and it's always empty.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

phoenix is lousy with stripmall churches. I can’t imagine what sort of depraved vat-grown homunculus can derive any sort of spiritual nourishment from driving to and sitting inside one of those

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Pretty rude of her, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/potatopolitics/status/1559479077731549186?s=21&t=y6kLJocbkFh5LYnaa1WIWQ